How do you dress your baby girl for colder weather, with a CD butt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is less than 4 mon and it's warm now. So no problem for now. But I keep wondering how to dress her for colder weather, with CD butt?

For example, with a dress, do you put leggings underneath when it's cold? Will it look like a big butt with chicken legs?

Or do you like pants better? But with pants, many of the little girl pants look so slim and doesn't look like fitting on CD. Will my DS, it's never a problem since many of the boy pants are baggy looking.

I would be very interested to your experience. Thanks. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 PM

I used thick wool tights (I got them in UK though) or if it was really cold stuck to sweat pant and all-in-one type outfits. LOL I don't THINK she looked like a chicken though she was a butterball. But the tights worked great for me in the winter time. I really have not had much problem with things not fitting because of CD - I use ME Sandy's mostly, and had some really cute outfits like pants and top that were stretchy and fitted fine over the diapers.

Hope this helps!

Who stole my signature!
#3 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Well, last winter she was in sleepers all the time. My plan for this summer is mainly fitteds and longies as pants if my budget will allow. Otherwise I'm planning on using pants. I'm not a fan of dresses for crawling babes. It seems to me that the baby's knees would get tangled. Maybe I'm just looking for reasons though, since I'm not a fan of dresses anyway. I don't expect L to be walking until next spring since ds, dh, and I all were "late" walkers. L is also really skinny, so the extra bulk just fills out her pants. I didn't bring enough dipes last time we spent the day at my mil's and her 0-3 month shorts were huge with a sposie on. (She's 5.5 months.)
#4 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 08:18 PM

My dd wears lots of longies in the MN winters. She loves them, they're warm and comfy. They don't get that cold stiffness of jeans so they feel like sweatpants(to her) but look like jeans.She picks out her own colors of yarn for her pants and tells me 'needle me some pants pleassssssssssseee mama' lol
#5 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 08:19 PM

Wool pants and fitteds. If she is wearing a dress or regular pants I just use my trimmest aio underneath.
#6 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 PM

We use longies in the winter and wool soakers/shorts in the summer. Luke has maybe 2 kinds of pants, but they don't get used very often. I like his big booty!! :LOL

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#7 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 09:38 PM

I never dressed a girl for winter in disposables, so i don't really know the difference but i just dressed maya like any other kid, i guess. before she could walk i didn't put a dress on her (tripped her up trying to sit and crawl) so she lived in knitted wool pants, jeans, overalls, whatever. Now she insists on wearing dresses (where did *that* come from??) but this winter she wore tights and knitted pants (I made them with tight legs like leggings) under dresses and the same old jeans and overalls otherwise.

She had some cotton jersey pants from Hanna Andersson that had a ton of room in the back, and if i remember the description of the pants was even "with extra room for bulky diapers" or something. Anyway, they had a whole extra butt panel.
#8 of 23 Old 06-30-2005, 10:36 PM

I like fleece pants:

www.beanerboy.com
#9 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 AM

We found, last year, that most knit pants had plenty of stretch & didn't look odd. Fleece pants, especially those with sweatpant styling, have plenty of room. Hannah Andersson pants are great! And of course, knit longies are terrific. And most one-piece outfits are roomy through the trunk & accomadate diapers well. (Found some fleece jumpsuits at Costco last winter that were cute & warm & cheap!!)

Unless you have a long, thin baby, jeans may not work well over cloth diapers. BUT, if you can find capris in a "bigger" size, you might be able to wear them as regular-length pants over cloth. (We had one pair of embroidered denim capris--Land's End, I think--that were cute jeans last fall and winter but fit like cute capris this summer, when dd is longer & thinner.)

Compared to dressing ds (who wore sposies), I didn't really find it to be more difficult. All babies are different & clothing is cut so wildly different across manufacturers that it seems to always be a bit of trial and error.
#10 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 02:27 AM

I either do fitteds and longies or fitteds with fleece pants (super easy to make and really cute prints!)

Or... I do lots of swing tops and dresses with leggings. The swing tops (with that a line cut) comes over most of the cloth bootie bulk and doesn't make her look like a bubble butt with little legs.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#11 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 AM

Last winter we did Hanna Andersson 'Wiggle Pants' with sweaters, longies (even under dresses), tights (Hanna also does some really nice tights) or overalls Land's End (& even the Gap sometimes) do wide enough overalls.
HTH!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#12 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 03:49 AM

WOOL PANTS!!! great as pants or under dresses as tights ... LOVE them with little frillies around the ankles :LOL

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#13 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 04:07 AM

We did longies and fitteds and then under dresses or skirts we did trim fitteds and wool covers OR AIOs, topped with tights. We will be doing the same this winter.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#14 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 06:45 AM

I know this is probably a stupid question- if you lanolized wool tights, couldn't you then use them instead of longies??? If they had a high enough wool content?

Sorry- got two boys, but think girls clothes are cuter. :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
I know this is probably a stupid question- if you lanolized wool tights, couldn't you then use them instead of longies??? If they had a high enough wool content?

Sorry- got two boys, but think girls clothes are cuter. :
I would worry that tights would be too thin to take the place of a cover, but I have never tried it.
#16 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 AM

We used wool pants a little. But also fleece sweat pants worked well. We love Hanna Andersson wiggle pants over anything, there is plenty of room. Another cheap idea is Gymboree leggings. I just bought a size up. If you go there now, you can get them off season for cheap, like $2-3. I stocked up there and at resale shops. The solids work great for under dresses, too. They are stretchy enough to even fit over soakers.
#17 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 12:26 PM

Have never really had a problem with anything but jeans. Wool and fleece pants are our faves. Sweat pants are great, as are dresses with leggings - especially Hanna playdress sets. If you use fleece, beware of Old Navy girl pants which are low-rise and have no butt! :LOL
#18 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 01:45 PM

Since where we live it is cold most of the year, DD just wears anything over her CD butt.
Dresses with tights/ pants/ leggings/ skirts/ jeans whatever...

The only time we have an issue is with some company's that make very narrow pants (Seasame Street Wear pants and jeans, for example, don't fit a CD butt).

For CD friendly clothing, Gymboree always fits. Their baby clothes up to 3T are cut with room for a diaper.
#19 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 PM

We used wool pants and longies exclusively at home, also around town to the park etc. I found she could wear "normal" clothes with most AIO's and pockets, however. So whenever we went out we used aio's with whatever outfit we wanted.
#20 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Wool pants here too, either knit or recycled sweaters
#21 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Being that I have about a million skeins of yarn coming to me, I'm envisioning circular needles FULL of soft wool for dd's bum! We are planning on longies and fitteds and prefolds all winter long! Maybe I'll also pick up/make some fleece pants for cheap(bargain barrel fleece or consignment shop). But probably mostly recycled sweater pants or knit longies. Of course it doesn't get cold here until probably November and it's warming up again by February so unfortuantely we don't have that many longie days!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#22 of 23 Old 07-01-2005, 11:08 PM

Many of the 1 piece rompers were fine, as well as knit pants and wool.
#23 of 23 Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 AM

Last winter we did overalls which help conceal a bit of the diaper bubble :LOL, leggings and sweats. We also did a lot of one piece rompers in one size up and there was plenty of room.

She wasn't walking last winter so the bubble/chicken leg thing wasn't so obvious. This winter we will see how it goes, could be pt'd by then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page