Mothering Forum banner

Diapers for a hot climate?

1K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  mama23k 
#1 ·
hi mommies! we live in a really hot climate. it's been over 100 for a few weeks now. what my question is is this: has anyone found a cloth diaper that is somewhat lightweight and breathable? all the ones we have tried make our girl sweaty and uncomfortable. any suggestions?

#2 ·
I live in Texas. The coolest diaper for us was a superabsorbent muttaqin worn at home or outside without a cover. When we went out, we used a fleece stacinator for a cover, the single layer that they don't make anymore.

It's so hot, so horribly, suffocatingly hot, that every little bit helps. In my experience, the coolest diaper is a swim diaper worn while wading in a little swimming pool or running through the sprinkler.

#6 ·
It gets Humid here and the humidity is what kills you!

So 90 degrees and super humid here is mind numbingly hot!

A fitted diaper without a cover is plenty. Even when on outings if you add doublers, a fitted diaper and a t-shirt is great! Plus it shows off that cute CD booty, and you get lots of compliments!!

A wool cover at night is the more breathable cover, that's what they use in Japan mostly and my bro, who lives there, tells me it is in the 100's in July, and all summer it is really, really, really hot and humid!

#7 ·
95 and up here for a few weeks and we are now coverless(even for going out) with prefolds and fitteds. Wool for when we can't go coverless. It's so humid here but in just a fitted or prefold dd could be sweaty all over except her diaper area. We are loving cotton or wool knitted apron tops and fitteds!

Meg

#10 ·
Another Nevadan here, with another fitted and wool vote. Moose plays in fitteds only at home, with wool shorts pulled over top for most outings and night times. If I know we'll be in air conditioned areas when we go out, and he's going to be busy playing, I'll switch him to pockets or AIOs just to have one piece to manage instead of two.

I also don't cover his diapers with anything (excluding wool covers of course), diapers and an arsenal of tank tops are his clothes for summer.

#11 ·
Well, ds sweas like crazy in anything but a diaper, so that is what we mostly do here now. he loves to run around in a diaper outside too, and get water from a bucket I keep refilled throughout the day.He drinks it, spills it on himself,and has a good ol time.He is usally wearing a prefitted with a snappi these days.

#13 ·
We're in Arkansas. It's been around 100 daily for about 2 weeks now with close to 100% humidity. Blech!!!! My little one just wears a flat pinned on with no cover. Flats are VERY breathable. THe older 3 are just running around in only their underwear.
: But they stay nice and cool--and it's perfect for making mud pies while playing with the water hose outside! Anybody else ever washed solid mud out of a diaper instead of poop? :LOL

#14 ·
Ive just been trying to come up w/ a solution for the heat here as well.. I made some prefitteds for around the house and fitteds as well but when we go out its usually an AIO because we really go from the house to the car(AC) to another AC place! I love wool too but dont have as much as Id like :LOL

#23 ·
in the 95-100 heat plus 95% humidity that we have here, we do fitteds and wool. i still find that my 3 month old has a bit of heat rash going on, but it has to be better than if he was in plastic! at home, we go diaperless (only on his belly-- he can shoot pee 3 feet in the air!) or with a loose fitting, lightweight diaper only.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82
OMG. Note to self, never go to NC.

It's amazing. Not myself nor anyone I had talked to before i came here mentioned the heat and humidity. It's not DEEP south so you don't think of it as that hot. But NC is one of the hottest places I've lived or been to and I've lived all the way up and down the east coast. It's disgustingly hot. It was 114 last week here and SOOOOOOOOO humid. UGH! We survive in coverless fitteds(wool for night) and no shirt or just a t-shirt. That's how we go out, coverless fitted or prefold and a t-shirt. I never thought I would let dd go coverless. I always read about all these moms saying that and I thought to myself, "they are crazy." Turns out I'm a coverless addict. DD naps coverless, plays coverless, nurses coverless, goes OUT coverless. . . . . . . we love it! Turns out those couple of wet spots on the floor aren't really a big deal and dh now knows to do a quick hand check before puttign dd on his hip.
:LOL

Meg

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady
It's amazing. Not myself nor anyone I had talked to before i came here mentioned the heat and humidity. It's not DEEP south so you don't think of it as that hot. But NC is one of the hottest places I've lived or been to and I've lived all the way up and down the east coast. It's disgustingly hot. It was 114 last week here and SOOOOOOOOO humid. UGH! We survive in coverless fitteds(wool for night) and no shirt or just a t-shirt. /..
Well now I feel bad for all my complaining about 114 in 0-15% humidity! At least a spray bottle cools us down.

We've done coverless on occasion, but it's usually when DS simply won't tolerate sitting still for me to put one on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.