Kinda spinoff- do websites keep you from buying dipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious to know how people feel about different diaper selling wahm websites- does a website design, ease of use, etc. encourage/discourage your business? Until I knew how much web design could cost, I was pretty critical of diaper wahm websites. Now I try to keep in mind that someone who is an excellent seamstress might not be all that computer savvy, or have the $$ to pay someone to design a neat, clean, easy-to-navigate site. But it is so much more fun to shop sites that aren't confusing or cluttered! So- do you judge the diaper making wahm by the cover (or site?) Any favorite diaper websites, based on looks, etc?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:29 PM

Oh yeah, totally. Professional graphics and logos also make a huge difference.

There is a certain diaper people love but I just can't buy because I cannot for the life of me navigate through their site! It's so confusing.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#3 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:32 PM

If it is for general stuff that is not necessarily WAHM made then I tend to stay away from stores that are poorly organized. I can't stand visual disarray whether it is online or in an irl store.

For WAHM products I am more tolerant if I know the product has a good reputation. Their style may not be mine so I really don't care and won't judge them on the overall style. I really enjoy simple sites like FM and one of the best overall designs from a user interface perspective is Loveybums. I feel that a person should not have to scroll way down on most pages unless it is a page full of stock. I hate scrolling when it really shouldn't be called for - for example the home page.
#4 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:35 PM

It might cause me to close their site, but it has never stopped me from pleading stupid and bugging them via pm or email, lol!
#5 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 07:54 PM

I didn't think I would, until the diaper hunt! Some of those sites were truly confusing! If it weren't for that durn diaper icon I would have clicked the X very quickly.

I hadn't thought of emailing and begging, good idea.
#6 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 PM

Of course, I prefer a professional-looking website. But I don't hesitate to buy from a more basic site IF I can find info and buy easily. If I can't find info about the diaper or can't figure out how to buy it right away, I don't spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.
#7 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 08:28 PM

There's one site that I can't stand! It is impossible to navigate! I don't buy from there or even browse anymore for that matter because it was so frusterating! The other thing that gets me sometimes is that there are a few WAHM's who don't have a size chart or even list the weight range for their sizes, that also drives me nuts and I don't buy from those sites. And I also avoid the sites that are really religous. I don't like having to scroll past big pictures of Jesus to buy dipes. If you're into Jesus, good for you, but what does it have to do with diapers?
#8 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 PM

I am a fan of excellence. I like pretty, well designed sites. I will usually not buy if the site is hard to use, just plain ugly, or not well put together. It says alot about the WAHM and her confidence in her product, IMO

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 08:39 PM

I don't "judge" a WAHM by her site, but if it's confusing, cluttered, etc - I'm not wasting my time attempting to navigate it when I can easily go to a nicely set up site and spend 1/10th of the time to find something I want.

Presentation means a LOT.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#10 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 08:56 PM

I am very finicky about web sites, but when it comes to WAHM's I am pretty patient, I mean after all they aren't a huge company (with big companies I will rapidly go elsewhere if their web site isn't designed well and I can't find what I need).

It is a hug pet peeve of mine not to be able to find size ranges, prices, products, etc. easily. I won't go elsewhere, but I cuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
I am a fan of excellence. I like pretty, well designed sites. I will usually not buy if the site is hard to use, just plain ugly, or not well put together. It says alot about the WAHM and her confidence in her product, IMO
Oooh... this reminded me of that WifeSwap show with the freaky wife who kept talking about "excellence"... <shudder>
#11 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM

Yep. I can't tell you the number of times during the Diaper Hunt that I said to myself, "I'm never shopping here!" While I'm sure some of the products those WAHMs are selling are worthy of second look, if I can't find the product to take a second look, I'm not gonna buy it. Both the user friendliness and the image that a site presents to a customer is important. They're not more important than a quality product but it's right on par or a close second, IMO.
#12 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:01 PM

I like straight forward, easy to navigate sites. I may buy from a site that isn't easy to navigate, as long as I can find all the information about the product (size range, etc.).

I probably won't buy from a site that has a lot of spelling errors, or really bad pictures. That's my real pet peave!!
#13 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear
I don't "judge" a WAHM by her site, but if it's confusing, cluttered, etc - I'm not wasting my time attempting to navigate it when I can easily go to a nicely set up site and spend 1/10th of the time to find something I want.

Presentation means a LOT.
:

Exactly!
#14 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM

I have had to leave sites, after putting things in the cart, because I couldn't find the cart!!! If it isn't well-organized enough to make it easy to shop, I don't need to spend half an hour looking for things I already said I want to buy.

On the other hand, after reading this thread I might at least email the WAHM about the issue, she may not even know there is a problem.

But I do prefer well-organized, clean and easy to navigate sites. Hands down.
#15 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:32 PM

So if you hated a site, would you tell the wahm or just let her figure it out on her own?
#16 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM

I wouldn't care about how pretty the site was, but if it doesn't look prefssional than it doesn't seem professional and quite frankly I have been screwed by a wham before, so I look for poeple who seem to be seriously in business, KWIM? That said, I am happy if the site functions and leave if it doesn't. It never occurred to me before to say anything to the wham, but now that the idea is planted in my thick head, I would.
#17 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 10:05 PM

I do my best to poke and prod my way through a disorganized site, but the biggest turnoff for me are sites without sizing or weight ranges readily available, or sites that don't have any pictures of their diapers (not with kids, not a gallery, just the diaper) unless they have instock items. I won't even take the time to read about the diaper if I can't SEE it first. I guess I'm a fairly visual learner!
#18 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM

I will say I am more inclined to buy something if the site is well-done, the pictures are nice, easy-to-use, etc. I don't necessarily avoid or "boycott" sites that are kinda junky looking, but it doesn't really put one in the mood to buy, KY? The pictures especially. If that's all I have to go on, and the pic is fuzzy or wonky somehow, then it definitely gives me pause.

I have much more tolerance for WAHMs, especially if they are getting started or maybe not as "famous", because I know it would be hard to get a good looking site if you were on a tight budget, or didn't have connections (like a DH who is a computer programmer! )
#19 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 10:51 PM

There are a few sites that are absolutely impossible to navigate, and I haven't bought from them. I've actually gone back to the sites several times, thinking if I visit them enough times and become familiar enough with them and click on enough things, eventually I'll find where to actually order a diaper, because I really am interested in their products! I always end up leaving in frustration, though. I suppose I could just email the wahm and tell her I'd like to buy a diaper, but I sort of feel like I shouldn't have to do that, you know? Since there are lots of diapers in the sea, I usually just shop elsewhere. I also wouldn't recommend that site to someone else, because I wouldn't want them to have a hard time buying a diaper.

One thing I really like to see on a website is a search engine. Most of them do have some way to search their site, and I love seeing that little search window! The first thing I always do at a new WAHM's site is do a search for the word "organic."

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#20 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 PM

Whats with all the wahm scrutiny today?? I only lurk here occasionally and happened to pop in here today to find a lot of judgements. As a wahm on a budget I strive to et the best quality supplies I can for diaper making and that means I dont have a ton of $$ to dump into my website. I have a basic site that in my opinion is easy to navigate and gets the job done. I simply dont have the cash flow as a new wahm to have a fancy site. I also dont have time to learn all the html and coding to just do it myself. I have three girls that are my first priority. I find it very sad and disheartening to read all these posts with regard to leaving a site if its ugly or if it doesnt "WOW" you. I thought this forum was all about supporting wahms and building each other up, not tearing each other down.
#21 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 11:28 PM

I wonder how many WAHMs are right now adding the Search to their sites or enlarging their View Cart link??? LOL

I know it's not polite to say which WAHM sites y'all think are bad but I know as a WAHM I would very much want to know if my site was so hard to navigate that it was turning potential business away, kwim? But then again I don't want someone emailing me saying "your site sucks".
#22 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 11:38 PM

I have left sites that are hard to figure out, have lots of miss-spelled words, or have poor pictures. I offer here and now to proof-read for any wahm who would like my services! Sometimes all you need is another set of eyes.

How much does a 'good' site cost anyway? I really have no idea.
#23 of 90 Old 07-19-2005, 11:52 PM

Well, I have been passionately in lust with the Diaperaps web site for nearly a year now. I don't know what it is--the colors, the organization, the words? Every time I go there, I want to spend $300. So far, I've managed to keep it down to about $20 total but it's an effort.

A web design I really truly couldn't stand would turn me off to buying. But it's not all that important to me, not like price and customer service and selection. Also I have an obsolete web browser, so I don't expect everything to run perfectly, though it's nice when it does.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#24 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadeanne
Whats with all the wahm scrutiny today?? I only lurk here occasionally and happened to pop in here today to find a lot of judgements. As a wahm on a budget I strive to et the best quality supplies I can for diaper making and that means I dont have a ton of $$ to dump into my website. I have a basic site that in my opinion is easy to navigate and gets the job done. I simply dont have the cash flow as a new wahm to have a fancy site. I also dont have time to learn all the html and coding to just do it myself. I have three girls that are my first priority. I find it very sad and disheartening to read all these posts with regard to leaving a site if its ugly or if it doesnt "WOW" you. I thought this forum was all about supporting wahms and building each other up, not tearing each other down.
I'm sorry you feel scrutinized and judged. I don't think that's anyone's intention.

WAHM businesses both big and small deservedly receive a lot of praise and attention here on this board. People discussing their experiences, opinions, and ideals as consumers of those WAHMs doesn't constitute some sort of backlash.
#25 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 12:17 AM

Well, that, and the most easily navigable sites also tend to be the easiest and least time-consuming to build.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#26 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzarooni
So if you hated a site, would you tell the wahm or just let her figure it out on her own?
No, I think you can approach a WAHM in a gentle caring way. I did this once and it turned out really well. The WAHM was asking for help and I had been watching her and REALLY wanted to help b/c I knew she was really sweet and working hard. Her site looks much better now!

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#27 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 AM

If the site does not have the information I need to make a purchase, I won't. That includes size ranges. There is one Hyena brand whose site I dislike- TOO HARD to find size ranges and they don't list the fabric content of the diapers AT ALL! (*Actually that was true a week ago, but I see now she has added both of those*)

sites I really like:
www.peenutpants.com - so professional, the theme is consistent throughout the site.
Jessica's various sites, verybaby, diapershop, verymom, verydesigns - her look is very clean.
http://www.cherrybombbaby.com/
www.monkeysudz.com
www.northernessence.com
to name a few.

Bad site design annoys me but it has to be REALLY bad before I'll avoid the store altogether.
#28 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
I will say I am more inclined to buy something if the site is well-done, the pictures are nice, easy-to-use, etc. I don't necessarily avoid or "boycott" sites that are kinda junky looking, but it doesn't really put one in the mood to buy, KY? The pictures especially. If that's all I have to go on, and the pic is fuzzy or wonky somehow, then it definitely gives me pause.

I have much more tolerance for WAHMs, especially if they are getting started or maybe not as "famous", because I know it would be hard to get a good looking site if you were on a tight budget, or didn't have connections (like a DH who is a computer programmer! )

ust have to giggle about the connections comment. I am a new wahm and have a tight budget. AND my hubby is a Computer programmer and webmaster and is getting ready to host web sites. But you ever hear the saying.... the cobblers children hae no shoes?? LOL I cant get hubby to work on a website for me or nothing!!! Not that i dont try but he is a busy man, and I dont have time to wait around for him LOL

I still think I made out nice with different types of connections LOL

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#29 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I have left sites that are hard to figure out, have lots of miss-spelled words, or have poor pictures. I offer here and now to proof-read for any wahm who would like my services! Sometimes all you need is another set of eyes.

How much does a 'good' site cost anyway? I really have no idea.

I Know alot of the good sites can cost upwards of 500 bucks or double or tripple that for comnplete packages, which isnt that much, BUT if you are trying to buy supplies to get started. Then it is a TON. I started my business with ZERO debt. I refuse to go into debt to get started and i decided before i even started my business, that I would not go into debt so I will save up and buy more things as the money appears. I have been making diapers for about 18 months now, and i JUST got my serger about 3 months ago, and I think my snap press was just 4 months ago.
It is sad how I buy just enough snaps to work on my projects at hand, and keep a few extra for custom orders. and I DREAM of the day I can buy 5000 sets and not even blink. LOL

Starting a business costs alot of money, and when you are producing a product you have a TON of upfront overhead, as opposed to starting a biz with just services. HUbbys Hosting biz has only costs us the cost of the computers, which he got for 25 bucks a peice. I droppeddouble that in fabric at joannes just running in for some lilac flannel. ( I knew I was forgetting something, i never got it LOL)

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages
#30 of 90 Old 07-20-2005, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Cloth
ust have to giggle about the connections comment. I am a new wahm and have a tight budget. AND my hubby is a Computer programmer and webmaster and is getting ready to host web sites. But you ever hear the saying.... the cobblers children hae no shoes?? LOL I cant get hubby to work on a website for me or nothing!!! Not that i dont try but he is a busy man, and I dont have time to wait around for him LOL

I still think I made out nice with different types of connections LOL
Well you wouldn't know it. Your site is very cute.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page