What was the one thing that got you to be interested in CD's? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started getting interested in cloth diapers when Emma was a month old. I was a single mom on a low income and Pampers were getting too expensive to buy constantly. So, I did some research online at the library about different cloth diapers, and decided to buy some Chinese Prefolds, Snappi's and ProRap covers. At the time, I bought the most inexpensive diapering system I could find. I also bought a whole bunch of washrags and cut them into squares for cloh baby wipes.
Plus, I also noticed that Emma's bottom was very warm whenever I changed her, so I thought that cloth would at least cool her bottom off to prevent a rash from appearing. Sure enough, as soon as I switched to cloth, Emma's bottom cooled off and she didn't get really bad rashes.

Later, as I got more educated about cloth diapers and covers, I started to buy other diapers. When Angela came along, both girls were using Mother Ease Sandy's fitted diapers, Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers, and Bumkins covers. They were so easy to put on both of them and worked just as good as the prefolds.
Another thing that made me stick with my decision was that I didn't have to hook the bathroom trash can to my wheelchair twice a day to empty sposies into the dumpster. Plus, I got SEVERAL compliments on how cute the girls' fitted diapers and covers were (especially a "insect print" Fuzzi Bunz that I got off of Ebay) everytime we would go camping or to the doctor.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 3 years and Angela, 2 years and Daisy, our 7 year old: )

:
#62 of 68 Old 05-20-2007, 04:15 AM

I babysat for an adorable boy named Arlen who wore prefolds when I was 17. I loved his diapers and how he'd toddle around in them coverless.
I got pregant at 18, and still had Arlee everyday, so of course when my babe was born, I was thrilled that I could put them on my own baby. I think prefolds are very hip.
#63 of 68 Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 AM

My mom used cloth with me and hated it, I got terrible rashes in sposies, so I never thought I would use cloth. Then I joined a crunchy homeschool group and all the mommas loved their cds. That really struck me because they didn't just think it was ok or put up with it. Once one of them told me about paper liners for the poop we switched!

:::
#64 of 68 Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 AM

my friend got diaper service for her baby shower and it surprised me that people still use cloth diapers. When I heard it costs about the same as disposables, I thought, why not? Then I did a ton of research and it sounded fun and better for the baby & environment, so I tried it out... and then now I"m hooked!
#65 of 68 Old 05-22-2007, 12:29 AM

I was sold on cloth the day I (very pregnant) stumbled across a website that sold Fuzzi Bunz - and realized you could get cloth diapers in neon colours!! It took me 10 months to convince DH to try cloth - and I haven't looked back. Definitely about the cool factor here - although DD is in sposies at night because she reacts badly to a very wet diaper - still hate that.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#66 of 68 Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Saving money....better for the environment.
#67 of 68 Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM

With my first Ds it was strickly a necessity at first, he couldnt tolerate disposables at all. I really enjoyed the frugal aspects of it as well with my second babe. I now am a full blown addict with dd out of the cuteness factor
#68 of 68 Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysuen View Post

With us it was mostly financial, we just didn't have money for sposies. We started with Gerber pfs and pins in plastic pants with #1. I didn't like that system AT ALL!!! With #2 we bought 5-packs of cloth AIOs from JC Penney. They were really cute, but whatever waterproof barrier was in those deteriorated very quickly. With #3 my friend started us out with Rainbow contours and Diaperaps. That's what I used for #4 also, and with Z until I discovered all the other options out there. Now I have a really cute stash, but have totally blown the money savings thing! :LOL
WHAT? JC Penney sold cloth AIOs?!!! Bizzarr...

I got hooked on CDs by reading a little blurb in the "Green" issue of my Parents Magazine, about Fuzzibunz. Well that and the fact that we were going through an insane amount of trash and money with 2 babes in sposies. It was gross really!! Plus the whole environmental aspect. I felt guilty about it. The "Green" blurb got me to do some research and I have been hooked ever since. I too thought that CDing meant gerber vinyl covers and prefolds... hehehe, how silly.

Plus, my boyfriend, Leonardo DiCaprio would be so proud of me.

Hanna :, Wife to Chris. Mama to : Gracie (6/05), : Annie (1/07) and : Cole 7/25/09 Expecting #4 in March 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page