Musings about reselling items bought from charity auctions... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMetz
There's nothing wrong with getting the best price you can for something.
I wholeheartedly agree with that, and I hope you'll go back through and see that I was trying to make a difference between the ethics of this question and simply the atmosphere most of us have come to enjoy and expect of our TP, and what types of asking prices seem to surprise us and not seem quite in the spirit of our TP. I don't think anything bad for a mama who needs to get the most money out of the fluff she needs to move for whatever reason--I just don't see why she doesn't head to ebay with the stuff so she can get the highest price the market can bear and everyone is happy.

Oh and April, I'm so sorry I offended you. My opinion is not that there's anything wrong with you or that you are a horrible person for needing to sell charity fluff for a nice price--I wasn't trying to say that at all! Just that I think it's probably a lot easier and more seamless to use a wide-audience auction site like ebay to get the most you can, and it also gives the most mamas a chance at the item, so as a buyer I prefer ebay as well because everyone has a fair shot at something. And that I, like a few others, was sort of under the assumption that stuff generally isn't listed out in the open for over retail on our TP (I guess I just haven't seen that happen, perhaps I was being totally naive and wrong about that).
#62 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
I agree with much of what Angelica said. I think it's worthwhile to draw some distinction here between ethics and the social morés of re-selling charity items here at MDC. Is it unethical to ask to be fully reimbursed for your charity auction purchase? Arguably not -- as many posters here have expressed, the selling price is ultimately between the seller and the buyer; if a buyer is willing to pay the price, then the laws of the market deem it to be a fair price.

But does this practice go against the unspoken...morés of this particular community? Perhaps so...there seem to be quite a few people here, like myself, who find the idea of profiting from what was originally supposed to be a generous act a little strange.

Thanks so much for getting what I was trying to say, Guin!

But as others pointed out, chances of getting ALL their investment back is slim once the item is used, and they are the ones who were willing to put the money up to the charity to start with, taking the risk that they may not be able to get much of it back on the secondary market. So their act of charity was still generous to put up the chunk of cash with no guarantees on seeing much of it again.
Just seems so much more simpler to let the buyers duke it out and set the market price, which is why I love eBay.
#63 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 02:41 PM

Well I guess people here really don't mind if someone sells their charity auctions at full price. I always assumed people got turned off by that. Shows how much I know. I guess in the future I will remember this thread and just offer up my stuff for as much as I want to make. I learn something new every day. This thread has been a huge eye opener for me
#64 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
if the thought of not recouping your entire investment on a charity auction is enough to prevent you from bidding, then you obviously weren't very interested in being charitable in the first place, were you?
I'm not saying that thinking they might not be able to recoup their entire investment is what will deter people. That would be a pretty unrealistic expectation, and I think people know that. What I'm talking about is people being criticized in advance for even considering the possibility that they might want to *try* to get back *close* to what they paid for something. This thread just isn't a very good way to encourage bidders. They're going to be afraid that they don't dare try to sell anything once it's outgrown for any amount above retail. And, therefore, they might not bid as high, or they might not bid at all.

Oh, and by the way, I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering less for something if you aren't willing to pay the asking price. As long as you aren't nasty about it! I mean, it is just completely uncalled for to say something that implies that the seller has no business asking the higher amount in the first place. I'm totally on the side of anyone who replies to such a pm by saying that she'd rather put the item on ebay and get more for it!

Speaking of ebay, it's fine if you want to use it for the times you want to get more money and only use the tp to sell things cheap, and it's fine to recommend that others do the same if they want to get the highest price they can get on certain items. However, some people don't want to use ebay for whatever reason, and it should be fine to try to get as much money as they want on the tp. I don't think that a group of people who think the tp should be for buying things cheap should be the ones who get to dictate what the "spirit" of the tp is supposed to be. The tp is for *everyone* -- those who want to sell things cheap AND those who want to try to get more money for their items. I don't think higher asking prices "spoil" the spirit of the tp. If you see a price you don't like, just pass the item by (or offer less, or wait and see if the seller drops the price).

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#65 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=Sustainer]Oh, and by the way, I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with offering less for something if you aren't willing to pay the asking price. As long as you aren't nasty about it! I mean, it is just completely uncalled for to say something that implies that the seller has no business asking the higher amount in the first place. I'm totally on the side of anyone who replies to such a pm by saying that she'd rather put the item on ebay and get more for it!
QUOTE]

I don't think anyone was suggesting anything *nasty* I think a lot of momma's just really don't KNOW what something goes for retail.. and then they end up getting nailed on ebay (or wherever) and they need to know what retail really IS. It is a matter of fluffy education, right? The mama I was dealing with looked up the retail price after I POLITELY asked if it was over retail (I thought it was more, but wasn't CERTAIN), and she made a big deal that she was glad it was not. When another mama corrected her that she was looking at the wrong product, and that her item actually WAS more than retail, then all of a sudden it didn't matter, she was sticking to her price.

She was welcome to post it on ebay. But why make it big deal that it mattered that it was less than retail, and then act like it didn't matter at all?

I don't ebay. I hate their consumer/corporate appeal (I know I am in the minority on this though). I bought like two things on ebay when I started cding, and then tried to close my account. 2 years later, I am still battling that. Plus, I think a lot of mamas that just don't KNOW better (and some that DO know better, actually) end up getting caught up in the moment and spend more than they should- how many times have we seen mamas pleading for people to come buy their fluff because they overspent?

I personally prefer the tp, because I feel it is mamas helping other mamas buying OR selling. And, yes, I buy good deals, and I offer them too! When I have run across a mama selling something for some outrageous price (in my opinion) regardless of what she paid for it, or how she bought, it, I POLITELY say, Wow, that's over my price range, but gorgeous! and leave it at that. If she sells it, she sells it, if she puts it on ebay, well, it will never be in my house.
#66 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Ooops, never mind.
#67 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 PM

and paid way over the retail price which is reasonable because it is for charity then I would not turn around and sell it at the charity auction price but rather at the retail price because that is morally correct in my opinion. The whole reason for the price to be high was for that money to go to the charity and not any other reason.
#68 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingMama
and paid way over the retail price which is reasonable because it is for charity then I would not turn around and sell it at the charity auction price but rather at the retail price because that is morally correct in my opinion. The whole reason for the price to be high was for that money to go to the charity and not any other reason.
I agree, but I couldn't find a way to say it as succintly as you did. :LOL
#69 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
I agree, but I couldn't find a way to say it as succintly as you did. :LOL
Doh, what does succintly mean? Sorry, not good with them crazy words.

Okay, I looked it up. I think you meant this.
Characterized by clear, precise expression in few words; concise and terse: a succinct reply; a succinct style. :LOL
Gee thanks.
#70 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Charity might be *one* reason for bidding to go higher, but it is not the only reason. Another reason is that it's a one-of-a-kind piece of hyena fluff whose market value is well above retail.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#71 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Well, good grief. Not only am I not succinct, but I can't even spell succinctly today! :LOL
#72 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Trishas Tribe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
As far as I'm concerned, the ending bid of a charity auction is the value of the item. I think of it as the WAHM being the charity donor rather than the bidder. So it makes sense to me that when the bidder re-sells it, they would try to get close to that value back.

Even if you wanted to think of it as the bidder being the charity donor, there's no way to determine how much of their bid was "for the item" and how much of their bid was "for charity."

I don't agree at all!! For example, aren't the fluff factory auction proceeds donated 100% to charity? IMO it is totally unfair to the WAHM who made nothing off the item for the second hand seller to make such a profit off of her hard work that was for a good cause.

There is a way to determine how much was for charity and how much was for the item...ask the WAHM...pretty simple

The Mamas making these items aren't making them so that we as consumers can turn around and fill our pockets with $$ when they donated all of the proceeds to Charity. That just seems so wrong to me.
The seller isnt makinga PROFIT, just recooping the money they put out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicandboys
I have seen people say they paid a lot for something on auction, and therefore are asking a lot for it when they resell it. But that doesn't mean it was a charity auction, and in that case, I don't see why they shouldn't ask for whatever they want for it. Heck, even if it was for a charity auction, it's their perogative to ask for however much they want for it. No one has to buy it, if they felt that the extra the original buyer paid should be considered a donation.
ITA!
#73 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:40 PM

Couple things:
1. Some auctions are a split between WAHM and donation. So the WAHM is not being ripped off and again, the seller isnt making ant sort of profit. Either way, the money went to charity (and WAHM) and that is what matters.

2. I have an item on the TP and said I wasnt sure how to price it, I am not trying to lure in a high offer, just asking.

3. Is it just me or the only people saying it is unethical the ones who have not shelled out hundreds of dollars for fluff?
#74 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
I don't think anything bad for a mama who needs to get the most money out of the fluff she needs to move for whatever reason--I just don't see why she doesn't head to ebay with the stuff so she can get the highest price the market can bear and everyone is happy.
Speaking for myself, I like to give MDC hyenas (or virgins) a chance first. Plus, if it went for $300 on ebay, I would probably feel guilty. I think there is a fine line between asking what is fair and taking advantage of having high-end fluff.
#75 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
I'm with Angelica on this one, but the main reason I'm posting is to offer up a litle PSA about US taxes. You cannot deduct a "charitable contribution" if you received anything for it in return. It has to be a straight financial donation. So, something that you buy in a charity auction cannot be deducted.

Just didnt' want anyone to get audited. :LOL
Hmm I was under the impression you could if you subtracted out the retail value of the item you recieved. Like when I buy a 30 dollar (retail) cookbook during the PBS fundraising drives and pay 100 for it, I can write off the 70 dollars.
#76 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish
Couple things:
1. Some auctions are a split between WAHM and donation. So the WAHM is not being ripped off and again, the seller isnt making ant sort of profit. Either way, the money went to charity (and WAHM) and that is what matters.

2. I have an item on the TP and said I wasnt sure how to price it, I am not trying to lure in a high offer, just asking.

3. Is it just me or the only people saying it is unethical the ones who have not shelled out hundreds of dollars for fluff?

I think it's unethical, and I have shelled out hundreds of dollars for fluff.
#77 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well I shelled out 316 dollars for the FAA set and I thought asking for that back was unethical. :
#78 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM

I guess it is just a difference of opinion b/c I read all 4 pages and dont see how it is unethical. If the seller isnt making a profit, the charity and/or WAHM got paid, why would it be unethical?

Also, I think there is a difference between saying "I choose to sell auction items at retail." as opposed to saying, "It is wrong/unethical/etc." Making it an absolute makes people feel guilty YK?

This conversation reminds me of the "Why would anyone pay $100 for a dipe"

PHP Code:
I think its unethical, and I have shelled out hundreds of dollars for fluff
I meant auctions not just fluffy items. I think it is easy to say "I would never do that" when you havent spent $400 on an auction.
#79 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:06 PM

Okay, my theory is wrong :LOL
#80 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Also, I think there is a difference between saying "I choose to sell auction items at retail." as opposed to saying, "It is wrong/unethical/etc." Making it an absolute makes people feel guilty YK?

I agree. I don't htink anyone should ever have to feel guilty for selling something at or near the price they paid for it!It' s silly, really. I think some people just have money issues?

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#81 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach5Mama
Hmm I was under the impression you could if you subtracted out the retail value of the item you recieved. Like when I buy a 30 dollar (retail) cookbook during the PBS fundraising drives and pay 100 for it, I can write off the 70 dollars.
Even if this were the case, are you sure all you would have to subtract is the retail price? Even if the market value is significantly higher than the retail price? (In other words, if you had bought it in a non-charity auction, it still would have cost much more than the retail price. Wouldn't *this* be the amount you would have to estimate and subtract?)

#82 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM

ok so all you mams have made really good points, i dont really know were i stand..

i guess if it was an item that i really wanted i would buy it.
but i think if you donate money then others should not be able to see your name, then its like more for show or something. I love giving but it makes it hard to donate if others can see you much eveyone is paying. because then its like my little donation is worth less or something

but i do kind of think once someone has bought the dipe then it is up to them to sell it for however much they want (if at all). but at the same time it is kind of like the next buyer is paying your donation. but whatever.. as long as both the seller and the buyer are happy right?
#83 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or the only people saying it is unethical the ones who have not shelled out hundreds of dollars for fluff?
There's a lot of us who are saying that it's entirely ethical to ask whatever price you want for your property, but that in terms of how we feel about our community TP, trying to recoup your charitable auction win there seems a little 'off' to some of us. Of course, no one is forcing anyone to pay the asking price, which is why I totally see nothing wrong with asking whatever you want to ask for it....but it just feels funny to see someone wanting a lot of $$ for a used item on our TP because the price of it went really high for charity to begin with. (Yes, some of the items are very special and one-of-a-kind, but let's be straight, I've never seen anything auctioned off for charity that was so unbelievably alien-in-nature to anything previously stocked/sold at retail directly from the WAHM. So, a ballpark retail price isn't impossible to come up with.)

And no, I have never, unfortuantly, found myself in the cushy financial situation to be able to afford to spend 400 dollars on a single hyena fluffy item, for charity or not. We have a certain standard of living that doesn't change drastically from month-to-month, and that does allow for my WAHM-supporting purchases to keep cloth diapering fun for me, and I have won charity fluff, but not for insane-bidding-war-driven end prices, since we are not wealthy so my husband would never agree we have the means to spend those kinds of amounts.
#84 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:20 PM

one more thing...

i think that once someone wants to sell something that it is no longer worth the price of what it was new!! even if it was only used a couple of times.
the exception would be if it was tried on but didnt fit. but i dont like when someone says...

EUC i paid 60.00 dollars so im only asking for 60.00 dollars.

I think on a diper that get used to poop and pee in that the value does go down. unlike other things like fine china that never gets used and its a retired item or something. i dont know but thats what i thimk
#85 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of us who are saying that it's entirely ethical to ask whatever price you want for your property, but that in terms of how we feel about our community TP, trying to recoup your charitable auction win there seems a little 'off' to some of us. Of course, no one is forcing anyone to pay the asking price, which is why I totally see nothing wrong with asking whatever you want to ask for it....but it just feels funny to see someone wanting a lot of $$ for a used item on our TP because the price of it went really high for charity to begin with. (Yes, some of the items are very special and one-of-a-kind, but let's be straight, I've never seen anything auctioned off for charity that was so unbelievably alien-in-nature to anything previously stocked/sold at retail directly from the WAHM. So, a ballpark retail price isn't impossible to come up with.)

And no, I have never, unfortuantly, found myself in the cushy financial situation to be able to afford to spend 400 dollars on a single hyena fluffy item, for charity or not. We have a certain standard of living that doesn't change drastically from month-to-month, and that does allow for my WAHM-supporting purchases to keep cloth diapering fun for me, and I have won charity fluff, but not for insane-bidding-war-driven end prices, since we are not wealthy so my husband would never agree we have the means to spend those kinds of amounts.
I hear you I just think it is a slippery slope. I mean does this apply to all acution items (non-charity)? what about used diapers in general. I mean, when I sell used lcothing (DD or mine) I am lucky to get 30% of retail value. Selling used diapers for retail or a few dollars less could be deemed uneuthical or questionable YK??
#86 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:31 PM

Plus, taking hyena fluff to ebay can result in a worse reputation - (IIRC a certain BBB soaker seling for $300 was a huge deal and people wondered why the seller didnt just sell on the TP.) Sort of a damed if you do, damned if you dont situation.

So, I got an ebay FCB for $45, sold it on the TP for 440 (?), is that questionable? The WAHM gets her money, I am not making a profit but I hate to think any MDC mamas think my behavior is shady. I try to be more than reasonable with my TP sales and I dont want ppl to think otherwise.
#87 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Plus, taking hyena fluff to ebay can result in a worse reputation - (IIRC a certain BBB soaker seling for $300 was a huge deal and people wondered why the seller didnt just sell on the TP.)
It was a shady huge deal, but for other reasons... the end price was bogus and a MDC friend of mine reported that although she bowed out of the auction long before the end-price-hiking, she was offered the purchase as a secon d chance offering, just minutes after the auction ended, and actually bought the soaker for less than one hundred dollars.
#88 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM

Oh, and Regina, I don't think you have to sweat ten dollars here, ten dollars there. We are not talking about a diaper that retails for 30 going on ebay for 45, and a mama trying to recoup as much of her expenses as possible when she sells it since it's so popular and hard to get. We are talking more about the items that go sky high, usually for charity purposes, and whether the items are really worth that on the everyday secondary market (with the charity aspect then removed) later on, once they've been worn, used, and peed in. :LOL
#89 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It was a shady huge deal, but for other reasons... the end price was bogus and a MDC friend of mine reported that although she bowed out of the auction long before the end-price-hiking, she was offered the purchase as a secon d chance offering, just minutes after the auction ended, and actually bought the soaker for less than one hundred dollars.
Interesting, I never heard how that story ended

Okay, I feel better about my $45 FCB story
#90 of 100 Old 07-28-2005, 05:55 PM

the main problem with trying to decide whats ok to resell at is this. How do you know whether someone bid $400 for a charity auction because a partion or all of it was going to charity OR because they really wanted teh set and would have paid it even if it was not a charity auction? You can not possible read sellers/buyers thoughts and know this... therefore you cant make judgement calls about what they are allowed to sell it for.

Also... to deduct charity items from your taxes you have to be donating to a non profit organization directly ( i believe) and have a receipt from such organization.... since you are buying from the WAHM and the WAHM is donating it would seem she would be the one getting the receipt/deducting thigns from their taxes if that were possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page