Diapering basics and diapering fun chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I say keep it simple.... a basic "Diapering" forum and a "Hyena/Stalking/Auctions" forum.
#32 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
I think it's fine to have a forum for newbie/diapering101/basic questions. I just want to say that when such threads are posted in the main diapering forum, they *do* get replied to. I've seen a lot of people get a lot of great advice. I wonder if hiding such threads away in a subforum that contains nothing but other newbie/diapering101/basic questions would be the best way to get the most replies from experienced diaperers. Also, I wouldn't say that the main diapering forum has been particularly fast/busy lately, actually. Usually threads whose final reply was posted over 7 hrs ago are still on page one.
ITA with this. If we do a basics then it will hardly get visited except by other newbies.. KWIM?! I do think that a "hyena" forum would be a wonderful addition.. and to not take away the regular diapering talk as it is now. Just as jazzpurr88 suggested!!
#33 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabc311
I say keep it simple.... a basic "Diapering" forum and a "Hyena/Stalking/Auctions" forum.
I could live with that as long as the non-hyena chat was still kept out in the "regular" forum so all the mamas could benefit from the wisdom.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 09:48 PM

if we had to split it up i think leaving diapering as is for the regular talk and adding a subforum for hyena stuff would work best IMO. that way when a newbie open diapering she isnt forced to choose from a bunch of subforums and confused on what goes where, she can just post on the main page and us experienced moms can go chit chat about stalking and showing off in the subforum.
When I first joined MDC I will admit I left for a little while feeling confused after reading all the hyena threads and wondering why everyone seemed to spend so much on diapers. But I also got a LOT of help when I decided to stick my head back in. I personally wouldnt mind going to a subforum to post about the hyena stuff LOL
#35 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 PM

What about making one of the sub-forums protected by the 60 day/50 post rule for posting pictures of our fluff. I know it won't protect it completely from the pervs, but I think it's a small deterrent. :
#36 of 92 Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishshack
Our current thinking is that we will add two new subforums forums, one for Diapering Basics that will discuss the more technical aspects of diapering such as wash routines, getting started, overcoming problems, etc. and another subforum that will cater to the fun part of Diapering like stockings, show offs, fluffy mail, auctions and other diapering related chit chat.
I think this is the best bet.

My perspective of course, but I think the show off, ____day Fluffy Mail, what should I buy for this _____(event), did you see this?, stocking now run!, helo me stalk, etc. threads are the overwhelming ones. Could they be isolated into a subforum?

And the other should be a more practical, functional forum in terms of offering advice, frugal diapering. Where people can ask questions, find solutions, learn what kinds of diapers work for what, etc. But not called Diapering Basics. More like Everything you always wanted to know about diapers or something.

Also, can we reconsider the Resources and FAQs to include threads on frugal diapering, diapering from common everyday things, etc.

That way the more consumer oriented side is in one place. And everything you need to know to use cloth, make it work and continue to use it in another.

Thanks for the re-structure. I think it really really benefit people.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
#37 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:46 AM

If someone in the "non-hyena" forum asks which diapers are trim, am I allowed to recommend an El Bee? Or do I have to come up with a frugal solution?

Are people allowed to ask for diaper recommendations in the "diaper chat" forum? Or will such threads be moved to the "question" forum?

If I want to know who has instock soakers, do I ask in the "chat" forum?

If I want to ask what everyone's favorite front-snap fitted is, because I'm looking for ideas for a new one to try, do I ask in the "question" forum?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#38 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:04 AM

Quote:
If someone in the "non-hyena" forum asks which diapers are trim, am I allowed to recommend an El Bee? Or do I have to come up with a frugal solution?

Are people allowed to ask for diaper recommendations in the "diaper chat" forum? Or will such threads be moved to the "question" forum?

If I want to ask what everyone's favorite front-snap fitted is, because I'm looking for ideas for a new one to try, do I ask in the "question" forum?

#39 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some in the "frugal" forum isn't likely to be looking for fitteds that cost $25 with a 2 year wait list. If you don't have a frugal suggestion, you don't have to reply

Part of diapering chat is making diaper reccomendations, so I'm sure that would be fine in the "chat" forum.

Again, asking who has instock soakers is diapering chat, so again, I'm going to gander that it would be fine in the chat section.

I don't see why this is so difficult to understand. Some cloth diapering folks just want a nice simple forum to talk about simple diapers. Doing that with the current set up is not easy. Having a "frugal" forum and a "hyena" forum or whatever they eventually get named meets everyone needs. I don't see how that is bad.
#40 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaylou
Some in the "frugal" forum isn't likely to be looking for fitteds that cost $25 with a 2 year wait list. If you don't have a frugal suggestion, you don't have to reply
So in the "question" forum, if someone asked "What is the trimmest system?" I would *not* be allowed to recommend an El Bee? Even if I suggested trying to find a used one on the trading post?

Quote:
Part of diapering chat is making diaper reccomendations, so I'm sure that would be fine in the "chat" forum.
I agree that part of diapering chat is making diaper recommendations. So if my nighttime solution is not working for my heavy wetter, I can ask for suggestions in the "chat" forum? Even though that falls under the heading of "practical/functional/advice/questions/solutions/what kinds of diapers work for what" etc?

Quote:
Again, asking who has instock soakers is diapering chat, so again, I'm going to gander that it would be fine in the chat section.
What if I want to know the cheapest place to find prefolds? Is that also "chat," even thought it's "basic/frugal"?

Quote:
Some cloth diapering folks just want a nice simple forum to talk about simple diapers. Doing that with the current set up is not easy. Having a "frugal" forum and a "hyena" forum or whatever they eventually get named meets everyone needs. I don't see how that is bad.
What if I enjoy and own both simple/frugal diapers and hyena diapers and want to talk about both at the same time? What if I want to say "Do you think this is a good system? 24 prefolds and 10 Fussybutts?"

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#41 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:34 AM

i just think a bunch of different subforums leaves too much room for confusion where 1 diapering where we leave out the hyena talk and 1 hyena forum would be a less confusing less forums to navigate system.
#42 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMetz
Personally, I think there should be a "Diapering" forum, and a "Hyenas" forum for hyena-specific stuff. The Hyena forum would be for hyenas to hang out in, and the diapering forum would be for everyone else.JMHO
I was totally frugal when my first daughter was in diapers. Now, with my second, I've gotten a bit more fancy. As someone who falls somewhere inbetween "frugal" and "hyena" (as I think many folks here do) I gotta say, I hate this idea.

Certainly, there are a lot of posts about stockings and stalking, etc. but I don't think that the more practical posts get ignored. To divide Diapering up into subforums just seems like more work for those of us who fall in the middle of the cloth diapering continuum.

Quote:

Alice makes some good points. One of my least favorite things about MDC is how posts get moved when they're deemed off topic. If dividing Diapering into subforums means that posts are going to get lobbed from one forum to another all the time, then I'm really not for it.

I can get behind the idea of making a more newbie friendly "Diapering 101" forum. I can't get behind the idea of segrating all other diapering discusions into their own specific forums. Even the "simple" solution of dividing Diapering into "Frugal," "Hyena," and "Chat" seems like it's opening up a can of worms to me.
#43 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 AM

i guess i see + and -
#44 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 AM

Well the good thing about a basic diapering forum is things like wash routine that are asked over and over and often buried very quickly can be just set up in a sticky.

And newbies won't come in overwhelmed and lost and then give up before they even start. I came here after I had already started cding, I was too lost to start here. There were all these brands, some that didn't seem affordable at all, stalking, hard to get what I was lost!!! I've seen a few posts on mothering that stated, "if it wasn't so confusing I might have tried but I didn't because...I got lost or I didn't think it was affordable or I don't have the time to stalk" so if there was a just basic forum I think it would be easier to convert people and isn't that the whole point? To get more people to cloth diaper for the environment?
#45 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 03:12 AM

Interesting thread! Hats off to those of you doing the hard work of sorting this all out!

I agree with the suggestion to have a hyena/diaper collecting subforum and then having a general diapering forum. This is a definite niche of CDing, with many passionate adherants, so it makes sense to me to give it a forum.

I share the concern about diapering basics turning into a bunch of newbies talking to other newbies. There are also a lot of topics that are beyond the basics, such as the pros and cons of hemp vs. OC that wouldn't necessarily apply only to hyena diapers.

And having a subforum called frugal diapering doesn't seem quite right either. I don't collect hard-to-acquire diapers, yet I don't feel like the term "frugal diaperer" defines me as a cloth diaperer. I could afford to buy disposable diapers, so saving money is not my primary motivation to use cloth diapers. Frugal diapering also seems a little joyless to me--you can have fun with CD and not be into the hard-to-acquire diapers!

I would not favor making a rule against mentioning/recommending hyena dipes in the general diapering forum. Over in the pregnancy/birth forums there is no rule against mentioning homebirth or UC in Birth and Beyond or I'm Pregnant. (in fact, both are mentioned all the time and it works out fine). I would envision a similar dynamic in the diapering forums.
#46 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
Well the good thing about a basic diapering forum is things like wash routine that are asked over and over and often buried very quickly can be just set up in a sticky.
Aren't there diaper washing instructions already permanently posted in the diapering resources & faqs forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
I've seen a few posts on mothering that stated, "if it wasn't so confusing I might have tried but I didn't because...I got lost or I didn't think it was affordable or I don't have the time to stalk" so if there was a just basic forum I think it would be easier to convert people and isn't that the whole point?
Here's another thing to consider, though. Think of all the people who have said "I would have started CDing much sooner if I had known how much fun it could be" and "I never would have CD'd if I thought it was just prefolds," and "my main reason for CDing is all the cute prints that are available," etc. So, yes, frugality can draw people in, but the shopping/variety/hyena aspects are also definite draws! With the current forum, people can see that it doesn't have to be one or the other. Basic diapering and hyena diapering can co-exist.

#47 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 03:41 AM

I totally agree with everything Alice is saying. Will those of us shut off in the hyena forum be allowed to poke our heads out occasionally?

How do we decide what is hyena too? I mean, is it just pricey stuff? Cuz All hyena stuff isn't pricey. Would all knit wool go there? Or just the hard to get knit wool that costs the same as the not-hard-to-get stuff? If I think XYZ knitting mama is hyena but Alice thinks she isn't, where do we talk about her stuff?

I understand wanting to make it easier on newbies. And I am all for helping people learn to CD their kids but I am not sure if this is the way. It's like segregating the different diaper systems.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#48 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

This has all been gone over to death. Can we get back to the point we were a few months ago at the end of the thread linked in my OP?

Its not about hyena vs. not. Its about consumerist type threads vs. more frugal diapering type threads. You can say hyena vs. simple if you want, but there is a lot of overlap, so I think its easier to say consume vs. frugal

If you take offense to my above statement, its not my intention. Its just the simplest way I can think of to describe what those of use want the seperation are trying to say.

We can nitpick details endlessly if we like. However, many forums have been further broken down in the past and most people aren't walking around like this: all the time. Folks would adjust and everyone can still talk about whatever they want in regards to diapering.

I've been on both sides of the diapering "fence" and I think a subforum would benefit both parties.

See, here I said to myself I wouldn't get back in to this because its feeling stale to me. I guess the PTB will decide at the end of the day anyway. I've said my piece
#49 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 05:03 AM

Lindsay I totally get what you are saying. I know we will survive whatever restructuring occurs :LOL I think some of us just don't get why we have to seperate it into frugal diapering and consumerism diapering.

I read that old post so many times and still couldn't wrap my brain around the point of it all. I have read this one a few times and it seems like everyone is coming in a billion different directions. There seems to be differing opinions as to how many subforums there should be. And of course there are sore feelings because the tone of some posts seems to be that those who spend money on diapers are evil consumerists who don't belong at MDC.

I don't feel the need to knock another persons diapering choices (whether by necessity or choice) and yet so many people feel the need to knock mine. What if I lobbied for a Consumer/Hyena/whatever you want to call it Forum because I was tired of posts about prefolds and flats? How many people would that upset? A lot.

I agree with linking Diaper Making to the Diaper Forum. I think we need a Diapering 101 Forum with stickies and archived threads (don't we have this already in Resources?) But I don't see why we have to have a frugal forum and a consumer/hyena forum. Buy prefolds? You are a consumer. Buy a Fussybutt? Same deal. I just wonder why we have to seperate them. I want to hear about those yummy prefolds as much as someones OV Elbees!

But yeah, TPTB will ultimately decide. And maybe it will work, or maybe it won't. I just bristle at the sugestions that this is being done because some may not agree with how I spend my diaper money.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#50 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 AM

Seeing as there are 2 distinct parties here, those that want the forum seperated and those that don't, why don't we put it to a vote? That way we can see where everybody really stands and how many want to divide up the forum and how many want to leave it alone. I noticed that a lot of regulars aren't even posting to this thread. Is it because they don't care what happens or is it because they feel that their opinion doesn't matter or are they sick of talking the matter to death?
#51 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygirl
Seeing as there are 2 distinct parties here, those that want the forum seperated and those that don't, why don't we put it to a vote?
It's already been decided by the PTB that the forum IS going to be re-organized and divided in some way. (See Cynthia's and trishshack's posts in this thread - they are already talking about what way to set it up.) The old thread hashed out whether or not to re-divide and the decision was already made to do it based on that thread. What this thread is for is to now talk about and decide what division will work best for every diaperer.

I had how to thoughts but the kids call. I'll have to post again in a bit...

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#52 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You can say hyena vs. simple if you want, but there is a lot of overlap, so I think its easier to say consume vs. frugal

If you take offense to my above statement, its not my intention. Its just the simplest way I can think of to describe what those of use want the seperation are trying to say.
I do take offense to your distinction of consumerism vs. frugality. You may think it's just a simple distinction but frankly it's not. It's rife with judgement and it leaves out all of us who are firmly in between the two. Separating Diapering into a bunch of subforums may be easier for those of you on the extremes but I think it'll be a royal PITA for the rest of us.
#53 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:24 AM

I really like the idea of organization of similar topics. Back when I used to stalk, it would have been sooo much easier to find the latest stocking date/time by the current fav wahm if I could have run right to a What's Hot/Stalk the Stock/Score! (whatever the name) forum where the post would be right there, instead of sifting and searching through the day's hundred+ posts. I wanted that info and I wanted it NOW! LOL!!

Or when I'm looking for up-to-date washing info (new washers, new detergents, new natural products, etc) I would only have had to visually scan 20 threads or so in a Diapering How To forum. KWIM?

I may not post anymore (my first several pages of my past posts are all in here), but I lurk and you gals are chatty as ever. more so, even! :LOL So having this resource organized into TOPICS (not hyenas versus non-hyenas - I don't like how that seems to divvy people up and make people feel badly on both sides) would be sooo awesome for people like me (3 special needs kids keep me busy!) who just can't keep up with the pace. I need help finding the info I need when I need it. And I appreciate SO MUCH that our needs were heard and acknowledged, and that the organization to help make the forum little easier to navigate is being put into place. Thank you again!!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#54 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
As a newbie to the forums and sort of a newbie to CDing (CDd for 2 months about a year ago, then stopped and am just now getting back into it)... When I came to this forum, I was a bit confused at the fact that there are subforums *and* a main forum. I guess most of the sites I visit with forums (usually techy type sites or dog related sites) have subforums without a main forum. So when I first got here, I thought the the subforums were archives (especially since one of the subforums at the top has "archives" in the name. I don't know what a non-techy type newbie thinks when they come in, but that's just how I saw it.

I've seen the splitting up of basics and more experienced topics into subforums work really well. For example, on a dog breed website I have frequented, there are subforums for people with newbie puppy questions, basic training questions, etc. These subforums are not just newbies talking to each other. More experienced dog owners post often to these forums to answer newbie questions. There are other subforums for people who want to talk about breeding, showing, and other things that the average newbie probably isn't interested in. It's not segregating one type of dog owner from another, but making it easier for people to read about the topics that apply to them at the time.

As a newbie on this site, I would love to be able to not read the hyena type posts, because I'm not interested in that aspect of CDing right now (maybe later?). That doesn't mean that hyena type posts are bad or that there's anything wrong with anyone doing the hyena thing. It's just that if I'm not doing it, I don't want to read those posts that don't apply to me. And likewise, some experienced CDers may not be interested in answering basic diapering questions, or don't want to do it all the time (you can get burn out on newbie questions).

Just remember that you don't have to read/post to only one subforum. I think the point is to break up the topics, not the people.

Just my 2 cents as a newbie...

-Vera and Joshua (6/27/04)

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#55 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
When I came to this forum, I was a bit confused at the fact that there are subforums *and* a main forum. I guess most of the sites I visit with forums (usually techy type sites or dog related sites) have subforums without a main forum. So when I first got here, I thought the the subforums were archives
:

I agree with Vera. I think the current setup is confusing because there are too many subforums, especially considering there is also a main forum. I can understand why everyone posts everything in the main forum -- it's easier! I think paring the subforums down into 3-4 larger encompassing categories with no 'main' forum would help a lot, also.

#56 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 AM

I am guessing some people may be finding it hard to give their opinion about how we should organize our discussion of the different aspect of CD (I know I was hesitant about posting) because it seems like it is difficult to discuss this issue w/o unintentionally hurting feelings or risking being attacked. I think we have ended up with a culture on this board where posters learn pretty quickly it's not okay to discuss this.

I think it's very natural and understandable to view the way we ourselves approach CD as normal and typical, and a different approach as extreme or marginal. But I don't know that this is necessarily a fair way to look at things.

My hope is that however the diapering boards are organized is as inclusive of the many stripes of CDing as possible. I don't think having a subforum in itself necessarily implies a negative assessment of a topic.
#57 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Well. I personally don't support dividing the forum, but if it's going to be done, I think the best bet is a "Diapering 101" forum and a "Diapering Chat" forum.

The Diapering 101 forum would be for "how to" type questions, both newbie and experienced. Everything from "How do I fold the prefold to keep the poop in" and "What detergent do you use" to "Why do you prefer OC to hemp" and "What are the pros and cons of merino for longies." This would also help ensure that there are more experienced people still in the forum to answer newbie questions.

The Diapering Chat forum would be to discuss, well, chatty issues. This forum would probably be more experienced diaperers, but there are lots of newbie issues that would come up here, too.
--Pictures of stashes, new diapers, and custom orders.
--Fun questions like "If you had to choose only one diaper, what would it be" (a common newbie question!) and "Let's celebrate the simpicity of the prefold."
--Talk about stockings and auctions.
--Personal stories like "My in-laws like cloth" or "My best friend said cloth is gross."

I think this kind of divide would help avoid the "us forum" vs "them forum" mentality, and would help keep people from feeling like they have to stick to the forum that has been "assigned" to them.

Just a thought.
#58 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:27 PM

1. Diapering 101 - The Basics: What's What and How To Take Care Of It
2. Stockings, Stalking, & Fluffy Bums - Who's Stocking & When, The Hyena Dance, & Showing Off
3. Diapering On A Dime - Diaper Making & Thrifty Tips
4. Diaper Chit Chat - Everything "Diaper" Under The Sun
#59 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
Well. I personally don't support dividing the forum, but if it's going to be done, I think the best bet is a "Diapering 101" forum and a "Diapering Chat" forum.

The Diapering 101 forum would be for "how to" type questions, both newbie and experienced. Everything from "How do I fold the prefold to keep the poop in" and "What detergent do you use" to "Why do you prefer OC to hemp" and "What are the pros and cons of merino for longies." This would also help ensure that there are more experienced people still in the forum to answer newbie questions.

The Diapering Chat forum would be to discuss, well, chatty issues. This forum would probably be more experienced diaperers, but there are lots of newbie issues that would come up here, too.
--Fun questions like "If you had to choose only one diaper, what would it be" (a common newbie question!) and "Let's celebrate the simpicity of the prefold."
--Personal stories like "My in-laws like cloth" or "My best friend said cloth is gross."

I think this kind of divide would help avoid the "us forum" vs "them forum" mentality, and would help keep people from feeling like they have to stick to the forum that has been "assigned" to them.

Just a thought.
I Jen's idea better that what I just posted.
#60 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee

full-time student and single mommy to 3 fabulous little guys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page