Diapering basics and diapering fun chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen, that sounds like a great idea. It cuts it down to only 2 subforums(besides the archives if those stay) so there is less confusion all together! And it also removes some of the "well now where would this go" and other issues that have been brought up here.

If TPTB don't go with this, I do like nohomama's list as well.
#62 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=Jennisee]Well. I personally don't support dividing the forum, but if it's going to be done, I think the best bet is a "Diapering 101" forum and a "Diapering Chat" forum.

:

Also, diaper making posts currently have to be posted in the craft forums and I believe that they would be more useful here in diapering.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#63 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 02:13 PM

I love the idea of a simple diapering forum.....for those of us who arent stalking or into the newest or greatest.....(it's just not where I am right now). I love to talk about flats and prefolds....I could talk about them all day long....just as someone who loves el bee's could talk about them all day long..... I could care less about auctions or who's stocking......i'm sure i'm not alone here....and I would like to have a forum where people like me could come to chat.....that's all i have to say....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#64 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 02:44 PM

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I'm somewhat new here, been a member since February 2005. I didn't/don't think that the current setup is confusing at all. I've asked questions on various diapers...nonhyena such as little beetles, and have gotten great responses from everyone. Thanks to the main diapering forum, I've pretty much got a stash picked out for when we ttc#2. Some of it's hyena stuff I'd like to get, some of it's hard to get but not what's considered hyena, like certain vb aio's, and some is not hyena at all. Thanks to all the advice that I've gotten here, i think I've come up with the BEST system for US without going to one extreme or the other. If the forum had been divided, I don't think I would have gotten all of the great advice that I have.
Jamie
#65 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
I love the idea of a simple diapering forum.....for those of us who arent stalking or into the newest or greatest.....(it's just not where I am right now). I love to talk about flats and prefolds....I could talk about them all day long....just as someone who loves el bee's could talk about them all day long..... I could care less about auctions or who's stocking......i'm sure i'm not alone here....and I would like to have a forum where people like me could come to chat.....that's all i have to say....

I can totally relate to that. We all want a place to chat with people who like the same aspects of diapering (or babywearing or gardening...) as us. But I think talks about simple stashes and flats and prefolds would be well received in the "Diapering Chat" forum I suggested--just as they're already popular threads in the current forum. I think that trying to separate out certain forums for "simple diapers" or "hyenas" creates an environment of exclusion and judgement, and fosters an "us vs them" mentality, but perhaps more importantly, it leaves the majority of us who in the middle out in the cold.
#66 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 03:58 PM

:

I wouldn't want Diapering divided by hyena versus non-hyena (either the types of diapers people use or the type of diaperer a person is) especially because so many of us are ecclectic. We use what works, not what name is on the bum! (Unless, of course, it's our kiddo's name embroidered there. :LOL )

Maybe focusing on Diapering Activities is the way to go to divide into categories...

Shopping, Stalking, & Showing
Making & Caring For
Loving & Chatting About

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#67 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM

I think you nailed it Jen. I totally agree with everything you have written

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#68 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 04:32 PM

:
#69 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
:

I wouldn't want Diapering divided by hyena versus non-hyena (either the types of diapers people use or the type of diaperer a person is) especially because so many of us are ecclectic. We use what works, not what name is on the bum! (Unless, of course, it's our kiddo's name embroidered there. :LOL )

Maybe focusing on Diapering Activities is the way to go to divide into categories...

Making & Caring For
Loving & Chatting About
Brilliant!!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#70 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomom
didn't/don't think that the current setup is confusing at all. I've asked questions on various diapers...nonhyena such as little beetles, and have gotten great responses from everyone.
I don't think the separation is about the current setup being confusing- it's about separating out the basic simple diapering q and a from the hyena fancy schmancy stuff.

I think.

This thread is confusing me. :LOL

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#71 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 09:49 PM

Why can't we all be united by our love of cloth? Why must we be divided by whether or not we like diapers with elastic or snaps in them? Or by whether or not our favorite diaper is hard to get? As long as no one's spamming sposies, why can't we all play in the same yard?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#72 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
Why can't we all be united by our love of cloth? Why must we be divided by whether or not we like diapers with elastic or snaps in them?
It's not about dividing people... just topics. There are ALOT of messages in this forum, and I know I'm just checking on the main forum and can't read all the threads everyday. So I could very easily miss topics I'm interested in because there are so many topics that I'm not interested in. That's the whole purpose of subforums. It just groups similar topics so it's easier for people to find the information they need. You can still read and post in all subforums that apply to your diapering situation.

Imagine if we didn't even have a diapering subforum, and MDC was one big forum. Could you find the information you need and/or keep up with the topics you're interested in?

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#73 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Why can't we all be united by our love of cloth?
We are, which is why it is so wonderful and so important that the information be easy to find and easy to share.

Quote:
Why must we be divided by whether or not we like diapers with elastic or snaps in them?
We're not, nor are most people suggesting we be divided by diaper type (said many times in posts above).

Quote:
Or by whether or not our favorite diaper is hard to get?
Again, dividing by type of diaper is not what the majority is asking for. I know I'm not.

Quote:
As long as no one's spamming sposies, why can't we all play in the same yard?
We are all playing together, we just need more space to spread out in. Think of it as we're all playing in the same HOUSE. A house with many rooms, each with their own purpose. Subforums are like that. Wanna eat? Go to the kitchen. Wanna sleep? Go to the bedroom. Need to pee? Go to the bathroom. And so on.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#74 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Imagine if we didn't even have a diapering subforum, and MDC was one big forum. Could you find the information you need and/or keep up with the topics you're interested in?
Now THAT would be confusing.

:LOL

#75 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
It's not about dividing people... just topics.
But if the topics are "simple diapers" and "hyena diapers," as some people are suggesting, then it would effectively divide people based on which kind of diapers they use, and it would leave many people without a "home."

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#76 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
But if the topics are "simple diapers" and "hyena diapers," as some people are suggesting, then it would effectively divide people based on which kind of diapers they use, and it would leave many people without a "home."
I'm getting the feeling that you don't want to see the forum divided.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#77 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Which is why many of us are making other suggestions. The PTB are dividing the diapering forum. That was decided already. So since it is worrying you, what is your suggestion for the division method, so your vote on how to set up categories can be cast?

#78 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:41 PM

Quote:
A house with many rooms, each with their own purpose. Subforums are like that. Wanna eat? Go to the kitchen. Wanna sleep? Go to the bedroom. Need to pee? Go to the bathroom. And so on.
Chatting isn't always as clearly defined as that. Some of the subdivisions that have been suggested would be more analogous to "you may only talk about sleeping in the bedroom, you may only talk about food in the kitchen, you may only talk about life in the living room, if you want to have a conversation that incorporates two or more of these subjects you're out of luck, if you want to talk about something that's none of the above you're out of luck"

#79 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:44 PM

Are you afraid that if someone posts in one forum, it won't get the traffic? I think cross posting is OK if it's a topic that overlaps. Do you have an idea for how to divide it, since the division has pretty much already been given the green light?

#80 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM

So instead, those of us who would really and truly appreciate some organization because it will HELP us CD should be the ones 'out of luck'? Those who have been without what we used to call OUR Diapering Home because we can't keep up with the fast paced main forum are the ones who are 'out of luck'?

ETA: I see you said 'some' of the suggestions. Exactly. Not all suggestions are the same. Are there ANY suggestions that you can be on board with? If not, what are yours?

#81 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 PM

Okay well I haven't posted regularly in Diapering in months, since I switched my daughter to cd and got most of my diapering system's kinks ironed out. But fwiw, I like this suggestion:

Quote:

Making & Caring For
Loving & Chatting About
#82 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Making & Caring For
Loving & Chatting About
: Perfect breakdown IMO.
#83 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Quote:

Making & Caring For
Loving & Chatting About
As someone who spends a good bit of time in the Diaper Sewing forum and the Diapering forum, I am going to disagree with putting Making and Caring For diapers together in the same forum. I think making diapers belongs with Crafts, where the other sewing/knitting stuff is housed. The Caring For part, which I see as laundry questions that *everyone* has to figure out, should go with Loving and Chatting About. I like the way Diaper Making is listed as a sub-forum in diapering right now, with the link to Crafts.

I would also like to ask if there are plans to update the archives and resources, some of those threads are kind of old and don't reflect current diapering board theories.

Thanks!
#84 of 92 Old 08-08-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I would also like to ask if there are plans to update the archives and resources, some of those threads are kind of old and don't reflect current diapering board theories.
This is why I am prejudiced against stickies! :LOL I'm not saying don't have them--but they have their limitations.
#85 of 92 Old 08-09-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
This is what I've been saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
As someone who spends a good bit of time in the Diaper Sewing forum and the Diapering forum, I am going to disagree with putting Making and Caring For diapers together in the same forum. I think making diapers belongs with Crafts, where the other sewing/knitting stuff is housed.
I agree. I don't really see the connection between diaper making and diaper care.

Barring keeping things as they are or dividing it into the two types of forums that Jen suggested earlier (Diapering 101 and Diapering Chat, I think), what about something like this...

1. Diapering Basics - What's What, Thrify Tips, and The Care & Feeding of Fluff
2. Stockings, Stalking, & Flaunting - Who's Stocking & When, The Hyena Dance, and Show & Tell
3. Diaper Making (as it is now, linked to crafts)
4. Diaper Chit Chat - Conversations About Our Common Passion
#86 of 92 Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohomama
I agree. I don't really see the connection between diaper making and diaper care.
Oh that's my bad. I was just listing activities, not suggesting forum names. Sorry for the confusion about that.

Quote:
2. Stockings, Stalking, & Flaunting - Who's Stocking & When, The Hyena Dance, and Show & Tell
I like it! I especially love The Care and Feeding of Fluff! So cute. :LOL

#87 of 92 Old 08-09-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
:
I still think #2 and #4 go together, b/c I see stockings and stalking as part of chit-chat. And I think we're still forgetting some forums:

1. Diapering Basics/Diapering 101
2. Diapering Chit-Chat
3. Diaper Activism
4. Diaper Making
5. Diaper Reviews
6. The Daily Diaper
7. Elimination Communication

Seriously, isn't that enough forums?! :LOL
#88 of 92 Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
I still think #2 and #4 go together, b/c I see stockings and stalking as part of chit-chat.
I agree but I think that the folks who really want more or updated subforums don't want stockings and stalking to be part of chit chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee
And I think we're still forgetting some forums:

1. Diapering Basics/Diapering 101
2. Diapering Chit-Chat
3. Diaper Activism
4. Diaper Making
5. Diaper Reviews
6. The Daily Diaper
7. Elimination Communication

Seriously, isn't that enough forums?! :LOL
Um, yeah! I rarely if ever visit any of those other forums. There are simply too many. The one advantage I see to revamping Diapering is that perhaps some of the existing subforums will be combined resulting in fewer subforums all together. I'm an incredibly anal and detail oriented person but more that three or four forums is too much even for me.
#89 of 92 Old 08-09-2005, 03:04 AM

I know it is going to be divided and i want it down for the record that I don't agree with it. I am just asking that the word HYENA not be used to describe anything in any forum.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#90 of 92 Old 08-10-2005, 01:51 AM

I like what Meco said here:
Quote:
My perspective of course, but I think the show off, ____day Fluffy Mail, what should I buy for this _____(event), did you see this?, stocking now run!, helo me stalk, etc. threads are the overwhelming ones. Could they be isolated into a subforum?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page