Diapering basics and diapering fun chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awhile back in this thread some excellent suggestions were given to make the diapering forum more user friendly. note: Please read towards the end of the thread before replying (if you choose to). Many issues were well resolved by the end of the thread.

Originally, I was undecided about what I thought would be the best solution. After giving it a lot of thought and re-reading the thread I think the issue deserves to be revisited. The diapering mods expressed approval of the ideas, but nothing has been done or talked about in quite awhile.

I have gone from frugal diapering to hyena diapering and back to frugal diapering again. I think both are wonderful as long as they meet the needs of the individual. Both ends of the spectrum provide many opportunities for discussion. I would love to see a seperate forum for mamas and papas to talk about the more simple aspects of diapering. In the current diaper chat forum there are so many threads buzzing about stockings and auctions and how to tweak a persons stash etc.... Those are valid threads and I'm glad they are hosted! Sadly, I see many threads being over looked about prefolds, or needing washing tips or just plain wanting to talk about how to diaper on a budget. I also think that a forum for these topics would be a great place to talk about how to further the efforts of the real diaper association.

My main concern is that a new member will come looking for support and simple information and leave frustrated. I've been spending my day searching as far back as page 2 and 3 trying to find threads about simple topics and those from new members. It takes a concerted effort to find and reply to these threads. If they had their own home, I believe it would be much easier to meet this great need.

Here are a few of the highlights for those who don't want to trudge through the entire thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
I also like the idea of breaking it up into Diaper Chat forums based on diapering TOPIC, not based on the type of diaperer one is.

Some ideas to toss out....

Stalk the Stock -- Who's stocking, when, what you wanna buy, what you bought, what you plan on buying, etc.

Show & Tell -- Show us us pics of your newest fluff, your latest diaper craving, what you snagged on ebay, etc.

Diapering on a Dime -- How to get the best diaperbang for your buck.

Back to Basics -- Our lives are frittered away by detail... diaper simplicity, diaper simplicity. (Henry David Thoreau, with a diapering twist)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatokyla
aww so a

1. diapering basics/questions forum
2. diapering sales/stocking chit chat forum
3. diaper show off forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
i do think that one forum for questions and then another for stalking/stocking/pictures would be good...
oh, and maybe diaper making could be a subforum under diapering as well. i think that would be a great way for people to see what they can make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2emerson
I can see how having a diapering 101 (questions, laundry issues, how to fold a flat, etc) separate from a stalking stockings/showoff forum could make sense. I think it would be nice if somehow the diaper making forum could be crosslisted so that it showed up under both crafts and diapers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
this is great.

now if we could just get the thread locked so nobody can disagree. :LOL

so:

1) a question and rec type forum

2) stalking/stocking and pictures

3) diaper making listed under diapering as well
What do the PDB and others think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
We've been reviewing the idea over the past few days and will definitely be placing a Diapering Basics forum. Haven't decided exactly what else though. Thanks for the encouragement

Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so glad for this! Thanks, lindsaylou, for posting this, and thanks, Cynthia, for working on it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-01-2005, 10:52 PM

A Diapering Basics forum sounds great! Thank you!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank-you CM
Old 08-01-2005, 11:38 PM

Yay Since my next one is due in 2 weeks, it will be nice to have ajumping off point!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:11 AM

Yay! This sounds like a wonderful idea. It's easy to get lost or scared off when you are new and everyone is talking about all this fluff and you have no clue what is going on.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:59 AM

Such fabulous ideas! I love the diapering board and it was very helpful to me when I started, but I think the proprosed changes will make it even better!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM

That's a GREAT idea! Especially for a newbie like me
Old 08-02-2005, 06:09 PM

Definitly a great idea! I quit going to the diaper forum because there was just so much traffic. By the time I responded to a post it went from the top down to the bottom of the page. Not to mention that there were 2 - 3 threads going on that were the exact same topic, but they were just getting lost in the shuffel. And so much easier for new people. When I first came here there wasn't even a quarter of the traffic that is here now, and I had a hard time then. I can't imagine jumping into that mess when I was trying to learn about CDing.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 PM

All I have to say is YAHOO! I almost gave up on the idea of CDing because it was just too much info going way too fast. I think it's all good, but this will help those beginners out and help relieve a lot of stress!
Old 08-02-2005, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks Cynthia!!

I may have joined MDC a year or two earlier had the Diapering Basics forum existed when I first switched ds to cloth. I found the link to Mothering (along with a zillion other diapering links) and decided that the Diapering forum here was just TOO big and overwhelming, so I got involved with a much smaller diapering forum on another site.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 08-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

I'm getting started with this but stumbling over the various subforum ideas. I don't think we really need different subforums to split up the stalking & stocking, charity talk, fluffy mail, show-off threads from one another.

Anyone have a suggestion for an all-encompassing title for such a subforum?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Old 08-07-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybumm
Definitly a great idea! I quit going to the diaper forum because there was just so much traffic. By the time I responded to a post it went from the top down to the bottom of the page. Not to mention that there were 2 - 3 threads going on that were the exact same topic, but they were just getting lost in the shuffel. And so much easier for new people. .
I actually avoid the scroll down because it can be overwhelming. It's hard to refer someone there because I don't know how to begin to tell them how to get started there.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 AM

I like the diapering basics and diapering chat, but still like the idea of a shopping/stalking forum, not just for hyena stuff, but sales, ebay auctions, things like that.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

I'm going to move this to the Diapering forum for more input.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

annettemarie, couldn't that all be in a Diapering Chat forum?

Old 08-07-2005, 03:48 PM

I suppose. I'm finding a hard time formulating my words without being hurtful. I just wish there was a way to keep the consumerism side of diapering away from the practical side.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

So if we placed the three forums as you suggest, what would each be for? Most importantly I guess, what would Diapering Chat be for?

Old 08-07-2005, 04:09 PM

Chat unrelated to basic advice and also unrelated to shopping? Look at my stash threads, the fun questions like "why did you start CD-ing" or "what's your favorite cover", have you tried this sewing pattern, things like that?

Old 08-07-2005, 05:32 PM

I think it's fine to have a forum for newbie/diapering101/basic questions. I just want to say that when such threads are posted in the main diapering forum, they *do* get replied to. I've seen a lot of people get a lot of great advice. I wonder if hiding such threads away in a subforum that contains nothing but other newbie/diapering101/basic questions would be the best way to get the most replies from experienced diaperers. Also, I wouldn't say that the main diapering forum has been particularly fast/busy lately, actually. Usually threads whose final reply was posted over 7 hrs ago are still on page one.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Administrator

The plan is to reorganize. The main Diapering forum would become a category name only with no posting to it. Main discussion forums would be the two we are talking about - Diapering Basics and whatever other title we come up with that would host the usual discussions that are not about diapering basics.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi ladies!

Our current thinking is that we will add two new subforums forums, one for Diapering Basics that will discuss the more technical aspects of diapering such as wash routines, getting started, overcoming problems, etc. and another subforum that will cater to the fun part of Diapering like stockings, show offs, fluffy mail, auctions and other diapering related chit chat. I stress Diapering related because topics that should go to other forums on MDC should still be appropriately placed.

Does this sound like the direction that most of us are wanting to go in?
Old 08-07-2005, 09:13 PM

I think that sounds fine but I think if you call a forum "Diapering Basics" people will think it's just for newbies and beginners and questions will sit there unaswered too.

Personally, I think there should be a "Diapering" forum, and a "Hyenas" forum for hyena-specific stuff. The Hyena forum would be for hyenas to hang out in, and the diapering forum would be for everyone else.

JMHO
Old 08-07-2005, 09:15 PM

I think we should move all the shopping, stalking, showing off, look at this on ebay or HC stuff to its own place and leave the diapering forum for all other diapering chat and questions.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:19 PM

Name the shopping forum

Diaper Shopping - Discuss your purchases, show off your stash, give a heads up on a great sale, discuss anything related to shopping for or purchasing diapers.

Leave the daipering forum alone for all other diapering discussions.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I'm a newbie and I wasn't here when everything started but I don't understand why it even needs to be changed. I like it the way that it is. I post to all kids of posts if it's something that I can help with but I'm new to cd'ing and don't have a lot to add.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:55 PM

If you do a search, including reading the threads Cynthia posted, you will have a better idea of the backstory here.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:11 PM

I did read some of the older posts but since I've been here there hasn't been much like that going on. I guess that's why I don't see the need to seperate out the forum.

User Tag List