What other disposable things do you avoid? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if those who use cloth diapers also avoid using other disposable products for the baby and otherwise.

Of course diapers.

take'n'toss cups, spoons, bowls, etc.

Bibsters.

baby washclothes that come with shampoo in them already

Disposable diaper changing pads

Can anyone think of other disposable baby products that they avoid using?

don't even get me started on swiffer....

toilet scrub brushes that flush away and house hold cleaning wipes
#2 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 03:32 AM

Hmmm-m I don't use any of the above... also no paper towels, TP only for guests (those plushy wipes are nice for the rest of us too!), paper napkins and all those types of table ware things...umm,mmmmm. Very little use and toss goes on around here... I am sure there's more - I'll keep thinking about it!

Leslie
#3 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 AM

Quote:
TP only for guests (those plushy wipes are nice for the rest of us too!)
LMAO ..so that's why I couldn't fine the TP when we were over ? LOL ..We're not so daring around here ...but you already know that!

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#4 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 03:47 AM

We don't use anything disposable except TP and I plan on switching us to family wipes soon.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#5 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 04:43 AM

I was just thinking about this today! Finding MDC and cloth diapers led to us giving up lots of disposable products--and a much more natural life in general. We no longer use any of the baby products listed in the OP. In fact, I can't think of a single disposable baby product we do use.... We use cloth napkins, kitchen towels, cleaning rags. (We have some paper towels, but it takes several weeks to get through one roll.) AF hasn't returned yet, but I just bought some cloth pantiliners for a bladder that never completely recovered from childbirth. I also just switched to cloth TP, but DH is digging in his heels on that one. :LOL
#6 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 08:52 AM

toilet paper
dryer sheets (I don't use them but DP is addicted to them)
q-tips
garbage bags
plastic food bags--wash these out and reuse as much as possible

We also use sposie diapers when we fly.

We recently started using hemp grocery bags and it feels so good to not be amassing huge amounts of disposable bags! We had 2 string bags before, which was really only enough for quick trips to the store.
#7 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:11 AM

I don't use any disposable baby products. I do still have TP in the bathrooms, but it's for DH... (he won't give it up)

I do still use paper towels, but use them sparingly.

I would like to start using cloth grocery bags soon. Although I can always find ways to reuse the plastic sacks.
#8 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 AM

we avoid
paper napkins
disposable wipes, bibs,changing pads, presoaped washcloths
swifters disposable dust mits
disposable toilet brushes ( LOL)
I am making my own cleaning solutions -we use lots of vinagar/water & sented baking soda products
*just switched to a diva cup
A little OT but I am getting rid of my teflon skillet and going back to cast iron

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#9 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter
I am getting rid of my teflon skillet and going back to cast iron
I cast iron! The only thing I can't get to come out good in it are scrambled eggs.
#10 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:37 AM

I'd say the only disposable thing we use is tp. Sometimes I just use a of the the cloth wipes, but dh won't go for it. Oh and grocery bags, but I'm looking into getting some cloth ones.
#11 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:42 AM

We have cut WAY back on the disposable products we use. We do use TP. My dh would just die if I said, "Okay...lets use cloth TP now too!" :LOL We use dish towels/rags instead of paper towels. We never use disposable diapers. AF hasn't returned yet, but I am working on a mama cloth stash for when she does. I don't use anything that was mentioned in the OP.
#12 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 AM

I switched to mostly cloth grocery bags, still not enough for a whole trip to the store...soon though.

I can't think of a single disposable baby product that I use. I even switched to Burts bees shampoo bar, so that I wouldn't have to 'use' the plastic bottle.(Even though it would have been recycled)

I always feel a little funny about using disposable cups, plates, forks, etc. So, I don't use them. But, even when I'm out it bothers me(like at a resturant or something like that)

I am working on throwing out all the teflon pots and pans. I have a set of stainless steel pots ad pans that I use. Looking to get some more, when we make a trip to Ikea.

Don't use dryer sheets, my nose can't deal with the scents.

I may switch to family tp except I know that dh would ever go for it, so it will be just me and the kids. ALso, working on switching to mama cloth. They are expensive!!

Doen't it feel good to consume less stuff?

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#13 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 09:48 AM

The only disposable products we use are:

-TP
-feminine supplies (I'm very interested in cloth pads, but haven't fully looked into it to know exactly what I want. I haven't bought any new pads - just using the packages from when before I was pg.)
-paper towels are used only for cleaning up cat puke.
-q tips
-tissues (I gotta have my Puffs Plus!)

Reusable products we use are: (And I've used all this stuff for years - definitely before cds)
cloth napkins
rags
breast pads
We make our own cleaning solution with baking soda and vinegar

I don't use cloth grocery bags, but I use the paper grocery sacks to store newspapers for recycling, and the plastic sacks line the little garbage cans around the house, carry books to the library, etc.
#14 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeenybeany
Actually, I do use some of these because they're reusable and super cheap. LOL. I have a package of baby spoons, a package of toddler spoons/forks, and a package of sippy cups. They're dishwashable, so I just never do the "toss" part. For the same price as one of those metal Gerber baby spoons, I could get a 10 pack of take n' toss baby spoons. I've been using them for well over 6 months now and they still look like new. And the sippy cups work great, have no insert to remove for washing, and they stack really nicely, taking up less room in the cupboard. I got a 6-pack of sippy cups (no-spill type) for $1.99 on sale at Kroger.

Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to dispose of the utensils especially... They're not the flimsy plastic that adult utensils are made of. They're actually thick and smooth. If you just handed me a spoon without me knowing it was "disposable", I'd never guess that it was.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#15 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 10:49 AM

Odd question here, but how do you get around buying disposable Q-tips?
#16 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharasky
LMAO ..so that's why I couldn't fine the TP when we were over ? LOL ..We're not so daring around here ...but you already know that!
Yep- but all you had to do was ask- it was in the linen cupboard! We have to keep it out of sight, or the girls want to use it. Plus Sterling is getting into unrolling it...

I need to get some fabric shopping bags so I can cut down on those...

leslie
#17 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 AM

We've gone back to disposable wipes cause dd kept getting in the wipes warmer and getting water everywhere. And I just bought a new pack while we were on vacation (using disposables cause my ILs don't like me washing poopy things in their washer and it's not worth the stress) so once it's gone I'll try and figure out a way to keep her out of the warmer so we can use our wipes again. We do use tp, though I am not opposed to cloth wipes, I think they do a better job lol. Dh has recently bought the boys those flushable "kid wipes" for the bathroom so they are using less tp, but the same thing could be accomplished with cloth wipes. We use paper towels and napkins (what is a good fabric for cloth napkins? Sometimes at restaraunts the feel of the cloth napkin just makes my skin crawl). I hate dispoable foam plates but dh buys them. I don't use them if I can avoid it. I do have plastic cups and utensils & paper (not foam) plates on hand for when I host playgroup cause I don't have enough "real" dishes for everyone and I will admit after hosting a bunch of mamas and kids in my house for a few hours, I want a quick and easy clean up. No disposable bibs or changing pads. I love my swiffer and really need to try a reusable pad (any suggestions?). I also prefer my cast iron pan over the teflon ones, and our teflon skillet is warped and not really non-stick so it's ready to go and I want to replace with something stainless steel I think.
#18 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom
Odd question here, but how do you get around buying disposable Q-tips?
:

:

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#19 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 11:25 AM

I've been going back & forth between wanting to try mama cloth or buying a keeper or diva cup. It hasn't been an issue for a while, since af is now more than 4 weeks late. :

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#20 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 12:04 PM

Well of course diapers and wipes.
And after getting one of those contour change pads given to me that didn't even last for the first year!( not sold as a disposable product lol) I now use a wool pad.
I also use cloth hankies for those runny noses!
Of course for me cloth mama pads.
#21 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 PM

We have cloth everything right down to the tp. I keep one roll of seventh generation paper under the stand thingie that holds the cloth wipes, only setting it out for guests. The only thing disposable in the house I can think of would be wax paper sandwich bags, but once they're gone I'll buy some sturdy containers to replace them.
#22 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 12:05 PM

We very sparingly used recycled paper towels and if having a lot of guests will buy paper plates but thats a rare event as well.

I do use the swiffer dry cloths because I LOVE my swiffer sweep and vac. I used to have my own homemade swiffer cloths but lost them in the move from HI to CT. I need to make more.

I use homemade cleaning products except for laundry and dishwasher detergent. Oh and we use those plastic grocery bags : but I do try to reuse them several times for other things and if I have excess we recycle them. I am working on getting cloth grocery bags and produce bags.

I use a Diva cup & cloth mamapads. If we have company that insist on tp we will buy it but a lot of my guests know I don't use it so are ok with not having it available to them.

We really don't use much of anything thats disposable and the few things that we do use are slowly being phased out.
#23 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Finding CD's was a huge turning point for us!

I use cloth pads (the sweet cheeks on ebay are a great start to using cloth pads and are cheaper) and a Diva cup now (loving it!!), used cloth postpartum, it takes us forever to get thru a roll of papertowels (and we get the select a size so it is easier to get a smaller towel when needed, like cat puke), Ikea sells a package of washcloth type towels in the kids section with little loops on them for so cheap, we have tons of them and are used for everything!

Trader joes grocery bags are the best best best, and they wash well! ikea sells a blue version of their reusable shopping bags for 99 cents, we have like 4 and use them all the time. we use plastic bags for cleaning the cat box (does anyone have any other options for this? i'm all ears). We use cloth napkins (always have actually), rags for cleaning floors, i hate getting the disposable plates/forks etc out for parties so we almost always use regular plates (unless it is a picnic w/ 40 guests!). disposable bibs and changing pads just make me ill, what a waste! how lazy can people be???? we do use disposable diapers sometimes if we are going on vacation and their isn't room in the suitcase for my stash. we were on vacation this past week and i loaned my entire stash to my friend to try out CD's (she is hooked!) so i didn't feel bad about using sposies. and what is up with disposable swim dipes? don't get that either.

we only use glass storage containers now because the plastic ones eventually got pitched (and were gross anyway), and the glass lasts forever! we ditched all the teflon because eventually those pans go in the trash, and got a nice stainless set on a great sale somewhere. we FINALLY bought a nice kitchen compost container, so all those veggie scraps are not hitting the trash can anymore. we do use trash bags. and when shopping at the mall or target or wherever, i always try to consolidate everything with one bag. most clerks think i'm nuts! the last hurdle would be the TP, i would love to, not sure about DH. I guess it would be worth a try... Hmmm, maybe I will do that! so, do people use them dry or wet? do you store them in a container wet or use a squirt bottle? give me cloth TP tips!
#24 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 PM

I avoid disposable chaniging pads, bibsters, tissues, dryer sheets, disposable menstrual pads, and plastic shopping bags. I do use paper sometimes beucase I use them to cover my schoolbooks.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#25 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Actually, I do use some of these because they're reusable and super cheap. LOL. I have a package of baby spoons, a package of toddler spoons/forks, and a package of sippy cups. They're dishwashable, so I just never do the "toss" part. For the same price as one of those metal Gerber baby spoons, I could get a 10 pack of take n' toss baby spoons. I've been using them for well over 6 months now and they still look like new. And the sippy cups work great, have no insert to remove for washing, and they stack really nicely, taking up less room in the cupboard. I got a 6-pack of sippy cups (no-spill type) for $1.99 on sale at Kroger.

Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to dispose of the utensils especially... They're not the flimsy plastic that adult utensils are made of. They're actually thick and smooth. If you just handed me a spoon without me knowing it was "disposable", I'd never guess that it was.

Actually, disposable type plastic utensils, even for babies, are often made out of dangerous plastics.They are not meant to be reused. There are certain #'s on plastics. I can't remember now-but if you google it, I'm sure you could find out which ones are safe. I know many of those disposable sippy cups and such are not meant to be reused very much.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#26 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 01:45 PM

We use paper TP, tissues and paper towels - but the paper towel roll lasts a few months.

And on occasion we do use disposable plates/silverware if we're having a party because I only have enough flatware for 8 people and doing that many dishes after an exhausting party isn't fun. Or I tell everybody who's coming to bring their own utensils.

Oh, and sponges for the kitchen sink. I use those till they die, washing in the dishwasher once a week or so to kill icky stuff. After they're not usable for washing dishes, they end up out in the garage for dh's use.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#27 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 02:23 PM

Bibsters.

baby washclothes that come with shampoo in them already

Disposable diaper changing pads

Can anyone think of other disposable baby products that they avoid using?

don't even get me started on swiffer....

toilet scrub brushes that flush away and house hold cleaning wipes

I've never even heard of most of that stuff.

I don't use any of it. I don't use paper towel. I do use sandwich bags in my sons lunch for his recess snacks. I'm going to get him to bring them back this year to be reused. I compost and recycle. We only throw away a small grocery bag of garbage a week and we are a family of 5 so I think we do good.
#28 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 02:39 PM
tug

ok, i'm also wondering what the alternative to q-tips is?

we still use paper tp : , but i'm seriously considering switching.

that and the qtips would be it for anything on a regular basis.

oh, we had to use disp swim dipes for water day daycare (2x a week for 2 months) even though they let us use cloth all the rest of the time (and cloth would actually be better for keeping "stuff" in on water day, wouldn't it? oh well.

so, i saw in a magazine this week, disposable one-time lipstick. now, how totally weird and silly is that? it's like colored lip goo on a folded index card -- it's even in a lip shape. i can't imagine how you wouldn't end up looking like a clown with the pre-determined lip size...
#29 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
Actually, disposable type plastic utensils, even for babies, are often made out of dangerous plastics.They are not meant to be reused. There are certain #'s on plastics. I can't remember now-but if you google it, I'm sure you could find out which ones are safe. I know many of those disposable sippy cups and such are not meant to be reused very much.
The sippy cups and utensils I'm talking about (First Years Take N' Toss) have #5 on the bottom, which when I googled, looks to be safe for reuse (and safe in general as far as leaching goes). Also, these items are designed to be reused and washed in the dishwasher. They say you can do so on the package. I think I'll continue using them, since they work so well and are inexpensive. I really have to wonder why people would even buy them specifically to throw away, since they're better quality than your typical one-use disposable product.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#30 of 68 Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 PM

ok, just thought I would throw that out there I don't typically buy that stuff anyway, so haven't checked myself.I have alot of IKEA utensils for the kids.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page