Ok, I have 50 NB/infant dipes...covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 37 GMAR infant prefitteds which fold down nicely to fit into a NB cover, and 13 flannel fitteds that won't fit till this one is older (I have small babies).

So far I have 5 NB proraps, 2 wool soakers and 1 pr. longies. The longies and one soaker are very thin, they won't hold much. I am thinking, 3 more PUL covers, for 8 total? How many did you get away with for a newborn?

I also have plenty of wipes...do you think I need liners or doublers for the prefitteds, or can that wait a few months since you change newborns every 4.2 seconds anyway?

I appreciate your thoughts and experiences...just 6 weeks to go!

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 03:51 PM

For our newbie due in Sept I plan to have at least 10 wool covers (3 covers, 3 soakers, 1 shortie, 3 pants, though since I just learned to knit there will likely be more pants), there are 3 PUL ones in the pile for back-up usage only. I've only used liners on my one rash prone kiddo, and wouldn't add an extra step otherwise (when I switched him out of PUL and into wool the rash proneness stopped altogether). For doublers you won't know if the kiddo will be a heavier wetter until they're here so I wouldn't worry too much there.
#3 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 03:56 PM

I think you need more longies... it is getting colder up here though so I am biased...
#4 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

I probably do need more longies, especially thicker ones. We have long, cold winters here, and I could always cuff them until he grows.

It's harder to plan than I realized, especially on a *tight* budget!

GranolaMoon, you sound set.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#5 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 PM

ITA about the longies if you live in a cooler climate. There is nothing better than snuggling a newborn in fuzzy longies. Can you really ever have enough fluff?

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!
#6 of 8 Old 08-16-2005, 09:54 PM

I never used doublers when they were little, they only peed tiny pees anyway.

50 diapers sounds like alot! You should have plenty!
#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2005, 12:21 PM

I had 3 wraps that were my FAV and I pretty much used those exclusively... And that was just a drop in my nb diapering bucket :LOL I liked the wraps cuz they were PUL w/ gussets which only worked on my nb's chicken legs for such a short time but I also used preemie prefolds. Once ds' legs got a little meat on them I could use my wool without big gapes in the legs. Since I snappied the prefolds I never had a serious blowout But when I used my fitteds I had a lot of poo leaks... :

I think as long as you have variety of different things, you'll find what works for your little one. Plus, they change shapes so quickly, your fav one day may not work the next week.

As for longies, you can always whip up some recycled longies if you're looking to save some $$ You can get some cute kids sweaters or small womens and felt them if necessary to get them the right size. I made some 'Crat styles from the scraps of my bigger mens sweaters when I made some longies for ds. I got 2 soakers 1 lg and 1 nb and 1 pair of toddler longies from one $2 lambswool sweater!

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#8 of 8 Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 PM

I think you have plenty of everything! Doublers will not be needed for awhile, if at all. I haven't needed any other then at night time, and now we don't need them for night time either. I had 6 nb covers and that was plenty.

Here is sort of a side question for those of you who used longies at night with a NB, what did they wear on top? I'd be scared, still am :LOL, to put my baby in a shirt that isn't held down. If its lose I'd be afraid it would move up and suffocate her, if its a tight fight I'm still afraid in the winter that it will ride up and her tummy won't be covered and she'll get cold. DD always wore a onesie and a warm fuzzy sleeper at night in the winter time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page