Fuzzi Bunz stink again... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't think I will be able to use them. I am really thinking that is my fate. My son woke up to nurse at 5 this morning and I had to get him out of his FB because he smelled like a skunk. This was after ALL that rinsing and ALL that stripping, it's like it did no good at all. I'm beyond angry, now I'm just sad.

His pee was pretty concentrated because the night before he woke up puking and although he nursed well the next day and kept it all down, I wonder if he was still a little dry when he went to bed. His pees are back to normal now.

I am gonna have to find another nighttime solution... I don't have the time that it will take to wash these stupid things in order to use them. I do not want to use hemp because that gets stinky fast too, and I do not really want to use wool either, since I've got so many washing issues. Are there any good plain cotton nighttime diapers that anyone can recommend?
#2 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 06:51 PM

What are your inserts, are they microfiber??? I never had a problem with my FBs or inserts smelling until I moved into a house with softened well water. Then my inserts (not my actual pockets) started to smell. My ds would pee and they would smell so strongly of urine and even after a few washes they would stink damp from the machine. Once dried they smelled fine until he peed.

So I stripped and stripped, boiled, microwaved,changed detergent (Tide, Purex, Sun, SportsWash, Baking Soda, Washing Soda, Vinegar, Dawn, etc.) but they would still smell after being washed. I was so upset since this had NEVER been a problem.

So my solution? I took out the evil bleach, added a few Tbsps to my frontloader, and my inserts came out fresh smelling and stain-free.

I have a science background in microbiology, and I have to think that this microfiber, for some reason, is a breeding ground for some type of stinky bacteria that is difficult to kill. Even hot water does not touch it. But think about what can grow in a hot tub... In lab we always killed the most horrid bacteria contamination in our cells with bleach (usually a 10% mixture in water). So I decided to get wild and crazy and bring out the good stuff. I did not use 10% (probably more like 0.1% or something I would think), but it worked like a charm. I did not bleach my FBs, but I have never had a problem with the fleece smelling. The microfiber is cheap and can't really be harmed.

Anyway, just a thought. Since my bleach treatment my inserts don't smell, even after overnight. Sure, after 12 hours they smell faintly of pee, but not like before after one tiny pee they smelled like a men's restroom at a rest stop in a hot humid Texas summer. (I know this due to accidentally walking into one once...) I plan on BWN (bleaching when needed), but it has been a few weeks and no smells.
#3 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 07:29 PM

I know you said "no wool" but the only nighttime solution that works for my DS is cotton (prefolds or OC diaper) and a well lanolized wool cover. No leaks and NO STINK!! (I have to snappi 1 premium and 2 infant prefolds in the premium as "doublers" for there to be enough absorbancy but it works!)
#4 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 08:01 PM

Can you tell me again what you are doing to wash them currently? I had a stink problem with my FB and I solved it. I used SportWash exclusively. I turned up the hot water heater and I soaked them with SW and hot water for hours, sometimes overnight. It worked.

I ended up selling them and switching to just plain old prefolds. It's less convenient for the changes, but more convenient with washing. I've never had a stink problem with prefolds in my 4.5 yeras of diapering. Probably because the fabric is natural, not synthetic.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 PM

I agree with the bleach suggestion.
I recently bought some used FB and inserts and PU they were very stinky! So I soaked all the inserts in bleach water and soaked the FB in a borax solution. Rinsed them all very well. Rewashed them in my regular wash routine.
Never had to do it again. They don't wreak anymore!
Go for it!
#6 of 23 Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I am leaving town for the holiday weekend, but when we get back, I think I will make a special wet pail and put bleach water in it, and just soak the heck out of those things until wash day. I have bleached them before, and it seemed like a temporary solution, because before long, they stank again. And, the ammonia has left a big red spot on my son's scrotum.

I can at least get them in saleable condition. We do have a well with a softener. I've got a friend who will buy them from me if I don't want them anymore.

I soaked them in oxyclean and bac out today and it didn't work at all. I just need to try other nighttime diapers, but I don't want to spend a ton of money on stuff that winds up not working. I'm kinda cheap that way. :

I'm editing to add responses to people's questions! I was sitting here with DS and he was getting impatient so I had to end it earlier...

Amberthesugarcat, I am interested if you have access to lab facilities and want to do a swab of the microfiber to see what the HECK is growing in it! I have bleached them before and I think that is the ONLY thing that makes them clean for real. I also have tried a zillion different detergents, additives, etc and nothing gets the stink out permanently. If it doesn't stink for one use, it's guaranteed to stink after the next wash. I have also boiled mine, microwaved them, put them through the dishwasher, I suppose if I burned them with a torch that would kill whatever is growing in them!!

This last wash I did, I used sportwash and calgon. I read on here that other folks with well water that is softened still had to use calgon to keep the buildup away. My prefolds were FULL of buildup, it was really awful.

I have had some encouragement on a diapering list that I'm on to look into using wool, so I plan to at least look into it. So, wool is not totally out of the question anymore. I never got the hang of knitting but my mom knits very well, so maybe I can put in an order for some soakers. I do sew well, but I do not enjoy it anymore like I once did.

Like Amberthesugarcat said, I think the microfiber just does clean up well, I think bacteria harbor inside it because it is so absorbant. Yuk!!!
#7 of 23 Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 AM

You will have to use SportsWash a few times to have it strip fully. If you have lots of buildup it will take awhile. And buildup causes diaper rash, esp if you use baking soda. My dd had the worse bleeding sore rash from me using Trader Joes natural detergent one time on the dipes. When she peed, that area on her skin was literally burning.

Oxiclean is good for odors but it also takes awhile to rinse out in my experience.

If you want to do the bleach route, just remember that it's a powerful acid and it *will* rot your elastic and PUL much faster than normal wear and tear. I know you want to get rid of the stink, but you don't want to ruin the dipes, either.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 23 Old 09-02-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma
You will have to use SportsWash a few times to have it strip fully. If you have lots of buildup it will take awhile. And buildup causes diaper rash, esp if you use baking soda. My dd had the worse bleeding sore rash from me using Trader Joes natural detergent one time on the dipes. When she peed, that area on her skin was literally burning.

Oxiclean is good for odors but it also takes awhile to rinse out in my experience.

If you want to do the bleach route, just remember that it's a powerful acid and it *will* rot your elastic and PUL much faster than normal wear and tear. I know you want to get rid of the stink, but you don't want to ruin the dipes, either.
Right now I have the microfiber inserts only in the bleach solution. The pocket part of the FB washes up great and I think it works well!! It's the inserts that stink to high heaven. I figure, if I ruin the inserts, I really don't care at this point!

I'm not putting any PUL or cotton or any other diaper in the bleach.

I'd read that about the sport wash, and it's encouraging!! I'm going to continue to use it for now. I have also read that baking soda is terrible to use when you have hard water, so I've stopped using that. Our water is very basic to begin with (I also keep aquariums) so I figure a little vinegar can't hurt. I have to rinse them a million times anyway so I'm sure by that time it all gets rinsed out.

Appreciate the help!!
#9 of 23 Old 09-03-2005, 12:35 AM

Liz, I was thinking it would be interesting/fun to do a swipe, but it would be difficult for me right now. I worked in a University Downtown which is over an hour commute which I do not want to drive if I can avoid it at any cost... Houston traffic sucks! Also, we grew tissue culture and cells more than we did bacteria plates, and no one in the lab has any plates poured at this time, and I sure don't want to mess with that with my baby in tow! I know, I am lazy... If I were back at work I would do try it out...

But I totally agree with you that some type of bacteria LOVES microfiber. Everyone talks about hemp, but I am thinking microfiber is worse. My microfiber automotive towels never smell, only my super absorbant 3 layer cottonbabies insert (which I love). I think the automotive towels really end up getting clean. Perhaps we should only use inserts that we have to fold up.

I think it is interesting that you also have softened well water. I never had this problem with hard city water, only with softened well water. I wonder if this is a common problem. I was so excited to have soft water after years of hard water, but then I started having these problems.

So I will keep on bleaching when I have to. It sure beats having bugs growing in my inserts... And on a side note, I love PFs and wool, so don't be afraid to check it out. But I love my FBs for night and when we go out. So far it has been 3 weeks since I bleached my inserts and they are still stink free.
#10 of 23 Old 09-03-2005, 05:39 AM

So - amberthesugarcat - do you use the microfiber at night now? And still no stink? How long are the diapers worn at night? And do you rinse them out after each use?

I bought some used inserts a while back and so, since we had so many now, started using them at night. And boy did they stink. So I just use 100% cotton at night. But I have always wondered if it was the used ones that caused the problem. And I have resolved not to buy any more used ones.

So it would make sense that I would need to bleach the whole lot of them - since I would have a hard time telling them apart (although I think I could if I would sit down for any length of time with them). I don't think I want to sell them when I am done with them now b/c I don't want to cause some other mama the problems that I got. So I have been wondering if bleach would solve my problems...
#11 of 23 Old 09-03-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our3boys
So - amberthesugarcat - do you use the microfiber at night now? And still no stink? How long are the diapers worn at night? And do you rinse them out after each use?

I use FBs and the microfiber inserts at night (and during the day when I don't want to mess with changing him every hour or so like I do when he is in PFs). I use 2 cottonbabies inserts. Usually he goes 12-13 hours without a diaper change. The inserts are damp in the morning but not soaking. This morning I took a huge whiff (TMI!) of the inserts and hardly any smell. Before bleaching I could smell the ammonia smell coming off of him in waves when he was in bed with me... It was disgusting.

And the funny thing was no matter how much I washed them, they had a slight oder when wet from the washing machine. But once dry they were scentless. But if he peed, then watch out. But now that I have bleached them they smell clean after being washed. Today I washed them in Sportwash, but Sportwash does not seem to work as well in my softened well water. I can add Calgon or vinegar to my wash and I see no bubbles, so I have no buildup. But if I use 1/2 a capful of SportsWash I get more bubbles than I ever got using it in my hard water. Strange. I have heard that people have trouble with SportWash in softened water.

I wash my FBs every 1.5 - 2 days and I use a dry pail. And the pail does not stink like it was a few weeks ago. And I really don't think the bleach affects the microfiber. I just plan on bleaching them whenever they start to smell. I don't think it is a permanent thing, just that things grow in them in different types of water. Maybe it is pH based??? Anyway, I would not hesitate in selling your inserts if you want. Just tell the buyer they have been bleached, and the probably won't have any problems with them. I really think the bleach kills whatever is growing in there.

And I have never soaked mine in bleach. I only added what amounts to a few tbsps at the maximum to my frontloader, yet that seemed sufficient. And I ran a extra long wash with hot/cold. Then I did a cold wash to make sure all of that bleach was out. Truthfully, I have bleached my FBs and PFs on occasion to remove stains and they still look great and I haven't had any problems. I think the key is add it with water and don't add very much. If I used what they suggested my fabrics would have holes eaten in them. It only takes a tablespoon or 2 I think.
#12 of 23 Old 09-04-2005, 06:42 AM

Thank you, amberthesugarcat. I will try the bleach and see if we can go back to the microfiber at night as well. It is so much softer. I am glad to hear you go so long at night and have had success - we also do 12-13 hours since our kids are such good sleepers!
#13 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 12:11 PM

So amberthesugarcat, do you put the bleach in the bleach container in the front loader? Or do you just put it in where you would put the detergent? My inserts are just stinking and I'm tired of it too.
#14 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 03:31 PM

I agree with everything amberthesugarcat has said. I too, have had that fb stink. You can smell it a mile away! The key was bleach. I found that after a couple of wears I had to bleach the whole lot of them again. I did bleach the fb because they had been sitting in the pail with those bacteria filled microfiber inserts (cottonbabies). So, I wanted to make sure nothing had snuck into the fb. I gathered up about 30 inserts and filled the washing machine with water and bleached them all. NO smell.

It doesn't matter to me if I ruin the fb with bleach, if they continue to smell the way they did prior to bleach, I can't use them anyway.

Now, that I have rid them of the "buggies", It should only be necessary for me to bleach the inserts. I have noticed that my other brands of inserts have yet to have this odor problem. Hmm, I feel a science experiment coming on.
#15 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM

Brandi, I put the bleach in the bleach area of my Kenmore FL. I fill it about 1/2 way (maybe 2 tbsps or so)? I guess you could use more or less, but that seems to work for me.

I had nurtured family inserts and they never smelled, but again I am now washing in well water so that might be my problem. Kind of makes me wonder if something nasty is in my water. I guess it is time to get it checked!
#16 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 04:15 PM

Just out of curiousity, I googled microfiber and found some interesting stuff. Sounds like the microfiber is such an effective cleaner and so absorbant, it DOES attract some "buggies"... But that is what it was designed for (cleaning surfaces with just plain water therefore avoiding the use of harsh detergents and chemicals). Check this site out (specifically the "Microfiber is a Workhorse" section): http://www.eriecotton.com/about-microfiber-cloths.asp

Might be better to use folded microfiber towels instead of the multi-layer microfiber inserts - the plain towels probably clean much more easily than the inserts.

HTH!
Laura
#17 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM

Wow thanks for that link! It really explains microfiber's magic. Yes I agree, the towels are probably better than the multi-layer inserts for stink control. However I do okay with my CB inserts, only because I rinse each insert and FB before it goes into the pail (I rinse very well and squeeze dry) - for me, THAT was the key. Kind of a pain, but do-able.
#18 of 23 Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marasmum
Just out of curiousity, I googled microfiber and found some interesting stuff. Sounds like the microfiber is such an effective cleaner and so absorbant, it DOES attract some "buggies"... But that is what it was designed for (cleaning surfaces with just plain water therefore avoiding the use of harsh detergents and chemicals). Check this site out (specifically the "Microfiber is a Workhorse" section): http://www.eriecotton.com/about-microfiber-cloths.asp

Might be better to use folded microfiber towels instead of the multi-layer microfiber inserts - the plain towels probably clean much more easily than the inserts.

HTH!
Laura
OH MY GOD!!!!!

Thanks so much for that article!!! That makes a LOT of sense! Now I am sure that my water, no matter what I do (besides bleach) just will NOT get them clean enough! So, bleach it will be, if I want to use them at all. Because I think if I don't bleach them, they will not get used, period.

BIG eye opener there! Thank you!
#19 of 23 Old 09-07-2005, 06:13 AM

FWIW, I finally made the switch to All free and clear, and then was sad b/c my FBs still smelled like a sewer, and then...I started using the full amount that the bottle said to use. And then, and ONLY then, did my dipes start to smell fresh. If I skimp and only use a portion of the amount (for a medium wash), stink shows back up!

As for nighttime, one doesn't hear all that much about these, but we LOVE love love love our Kushies AIOs. Love them. Adore them.

We went through FBs stuffed to the rafters and with various combinations of inserts. We tried Rumpsters but they've all started completely falling to pieces and those layers are a pain to figure out when you have a squirming bebe to change. We tried various fitteds inside wool covers... But nothing has compared to the Kushies. They're not perfect, but they are really good and better than anything we've tried!

(too puffy for daytime under clothes, though)
#20 of 23 Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a thought, do you add tee tree oil to your wash?
Hilary
#21 of 23 Old 09-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Well, amberthesugarcat, I am reporting back.

I bleached them all and it worked great! I bleached two consecutive diaper loads - some inserts got it once and some got it twice in order to get them all. We can use them at night with NO stink!!

So, just for fun, I did not rinse a single insert for 3 days. I felt so free!!! I think it says you can do that on the FB website, I just never believed it. (I also thoroughly clean all my dishes before they go into the dishwasher b/c I have never believed that "not rinsing" would work, either.) And even after 3 days of sitting in the pail, there was STILL no stink!

Now, I am not sure yet if I want to do that for a regular routine b/c I am wondering if it will cause the bacteria to build up faster. Does anyone know (from personal experience and starting with new or bleached inserts both ways) if not rinsing at all makes the inserts stink faster?
#22 of 23 Old 09-24-2005, 04:18 PM

I've never rinsed an insert. Your rinse your inserts? hmm. I wash about every 3 days, everything's in a dry pail, nothing gets dunked or sprayed or anything, either. Poop diapers get cleaned off with toilet paper, but that's it. Once I realized that I was actually using too *little* (didn't realize that could happen, but problems stopped once I added more) laundry detergent, I haven't really had a stink problem at all!

And I don't rinse dishes before going into the dishwasher. I trust my appliances to work.
#23 of 23 Old 09-27-2005, 06:40 AM

So, Mollyeilis, what detergent do you use and how much? You don't even dunk your messy poopies?

Part of my problem was some of the inserts came to me stinky. I should have bleached them earlier, but I had not seen a posting yet where someone had done that. I did not want the fabric to dissolve or anything (bleach does dissolve wool).

Everytime I stand at the sink with something like sticky cheese sauce, I think "I should just put this in the d/w and see what happens". And then I scrub it clean. I chicken out every time. I don't know why. I do at least one load of dishes every day! It's not like it is sitting there forever. But I never have to rewash anything...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page