Diapering Reorganization, please read - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the past few months, spurred by your suggestions, we have been formulating a plan to better organize the Diapering forum and to suit all of your needs. We have taken input for those of you who wanted to give it and have decided that the best way to do this would be to have the main Diapering forum as a place to discuss general Diapering subjects. There is a new subforum that we have placed that has been initially titled "Stocking and Show Off." The Diapering Archives will be sifted through, the most helpful threads will be moved to the FAQ subforums and the rest will be merged into Diapering. All of the other subforums will remain as is at this time but we are hoping to make a couple of other useful changes in the coming months, including creating a central review forum for Diapering, Babywearing, and all other WAHM products that really do not have a place to be reviewed right now.

We would like to poll the users of this forum for thier suggestions in forum naming. We were thinking of changing Diapering to something like Diapering Basics or Diapering 101. We would also like input as to a final name for the new Stocking and Show Off forum. After we have received your request we will create a poll to select the names.
#2 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 PM

nak

Diapering 101 for main forum
Diapering Chat for sub-forum

i don't think newbies would have any problem figuring out what to post where.
#3 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:06 PM

So one forum would be for "diapering 101" threads and the other forum would be for stockings & show-offs? Where would all the other threads go?

I think it would be much better to have the main forum be for diapering chat (including stockings & show-offs & everything else that isn't "Diapering 101") and have a Diapering 101 sub-forum for newbie questions or whatever.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#4 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

The sub forum will be for showing off and stocking tpye threads. Everything else will fall under the main forum.
#5 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:17 PM

Yay!!

I like Diapering Basics

I'm not sure about the subforum, but am not wild about the term "show off". just has some negative connotations for me.
#6 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmama
but am not wild about the term "show off". just has some negative connotations for me.
agreed. just call it fluffymail or whatever...
#7 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishshack
The sub forum will be for showing off and stocking tpye threads. Everything else will fall under the main forum.
In that case I don't think the main forum should be called "diapering 101" or anything similar. I think it should just be "diapering chat" or something broad like that. I would also like to go on record as being opposed to segregating stocking threads.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#8 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:42 PM

I don't like the term "show-off" either, but I wanted to say that those types of threads (along with the stocking threads) tend to take over the regular diaper chat, and then people's real problems & questions don't get answered or are ignored. So I think a separate sub-forum for the "show-off" threads & stockings is a good one.

#9 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I have to strongly disagree that questions aren't answered and problems are ignored. This is a very helpful board and I have seen SO many questions get answered and SO many problems get addressed or solved.

#10 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so happy about this- thanks for all the time and thought that went into the split, as well as for soliciting our suggestions and opinions!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Oh how cool! Thank you mods and thank you Cynthia for listening to our thoughts & concerns and for implementing a solution to benefit everyone.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#12 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Oops so excited that everything will be that much easier to find, that I forgot to say I like a name like Diapering 101, or Everything You Wanted to Know About Diapers for the larger forum. Maybe something like She Shops. She Stalks. She Scores! for the stocking and showing forum? :LOL

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#13 of 165 Old 09-02-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
Oops so excited that everything will be that much easier to find, that I forgot to say I like a name like Diapering 101, or Everything You Wanted to Know About Diapers for the larger forum. Maybe something like She Shops. She Stalks. She Scores! for the stocking and showing forum? :LOL
:LOL I like those names!

I personally can not decide whether it is more organized to have all the categories, or just more confusing. I guess it depends on how you are using the board. For those who come for info, this will be a good move. For those who come just to hang out as a community, this will make it more difficult.
#14 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 03:36 AM

I liked everything the way it was
#15 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
:

I agree w/Sustainer, questions ALWAYS get answered on this board, usually by many people. I don't see a problem with having a different show-off subforum, but could you please put the stockings back in the main diapering forum?
#16 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Maybe it's just me that gets ignored then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofgrace
I like these names!

#17 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 11:06 AM

On the rare occasion that a post doesn't get replied to, it's almost always simply because no one who's on the board at the moment happens to have an answer to the question. If that happens, just wait until a later time when there are different people on the board, and bump your thread.

I have to say, though, I'm starting to feel like it's supposed to be our purpose in life or something to answer the questions. There seems to be an attitude that people have a "right" to have their questions answered.

We all answer questions all the time here and we are happy to do it, but I for one am afraid that I might start feeling a little less happy about it if I feel like I am *obligated* to do it, or like I'm being *forced* to focus on the questions.

#18 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybearmom
I don't like the term "show-off" either, but I wanted to say that those types of threads (along with the stocking threads) tend to take over the regular diaper chat, and then people's real problems & questions don't get answered or are ignored. So I think a separate sub-forum for the "show-off" threads & stockings is a good one.
:
#19 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
There seems to be an attitude that people have a "right" to have their questions answered.
I thought that was sort of the purpose of having a "discussion" board?

Newbies have questions, so unless you want the board to become a clique for experienced CD'ers only, questions are kind of a fact of life. And even the experienced CD'ers have occasional questions.

I'm a newbie, and I'm very thankful for all the questions that get posted and answered on this board. And if questions were to go unanswered, it would make the newbies feel like we're not wanted - we're not part of the clique. I would hate to see that happen on this board, because it's such a friendly and helpful board. And isn't the ultimate goal to have more babies successfully CD'd, regardless of if it's in a flat or a super duper hyena diaper?

Quote:
I might start feeling a little less happy about it if I feel like I am *obligated* to do it, or like I'm being *forced* to focus on the questions.
I haven't seen any mention of requiring people to answer questions in order to be allowed to post? If you don't want to answer questions, you don't have to. No one is forcing you to post in question threads. The types of posts you do shouldn't change due to the addition of subforums.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#20 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 11:35 AM

I like the idea of dividing the info!

I agree with PP about not giving any kind of name to the forum that is going to have a mix of info in it. If you name it Diapering 101 and someone who is not new to diapering asks a question, how will they know it is OK to post it there? Sometimes a quite experienced diaperer can have problems and questions, too.
#21 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 AM

I have to agree with Alice *yea thats right alice I am agreeing with ya :LOL*

I like it all together and I think the segregation is going to make it harder for the existing members. It is hard enough to keep up with one forum let alone TWO now.....

Stacy ~ Mama to 4 and #5 due in February
#22 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup
Newbies have questions, so unless you want the board to become a clique for experienced CD'ers only, questions are kind of a fact of life. And even the experienced CD'ers have occasional questions.
I certainly never said that people shouldn't ask questions or that questions bother me (and I'm definitely aware that experienced CDers also ask questions, since I ask them myself on the board all the time). Please read my post(s) again. I love that people ask questions. I think it's great! And I have always been more than happy to answer them.

The only thing that's bothering me is this attitude that I'm seeing now that if a question isn't answered to the poster's satisfaction, that we (the diapering regulars) have somehow neglected our job.

Quote:
And if questions were to go unanswered, it would make the newbies feel like we're not wanted - we're not part of the clique.
As has been said, the questions do get answered here.

Quote:
I would hate to see that happen on this board, because it's such a friendly and helpful board.
I would hate to see it happen to, so I hope the attitude I'm seeing changes to a more appreciative one, so that we all continue to be just as happy about answering questions as we always have been.
Quote:
And isn't the ultimate goal to have more babies successfully CD'd
That certainly is one of the goals of this board, and I for one am of the opinion that the WAHM stocking threads do not hinder the accomplishment of that goal.
Quote:
regardless of if it's in a flat or a super duper hyena diaper?
It certainly doesn't matter to us whether someone uses a flat or a hyena diaper. Both choices are equally honored. Anyone who thinks differently should spend more time on the board.
Quote:
I haven't seen any mention of requiring people to answer questions in order to be allowed to post? If you don't want to answer questions, you don't have to. No one is forcing you to post in question threads. The types of posts you do shouldn't change due to the addition of subforums.
That's not what I meant. What I meant by being forced to focus on the question threads is that threads that are of interest to experienced regulars (as well as to many inexperineced newbies in my opinion) including stocking threads, are being moved off of the main board for the purpose of focusing more attention on the question threads. In my opinion, the question threads already get tons of attention.

#23 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I...threads that are of interest to experienced regulars (as well as to many inexperineced newbies in my opinion) including stocking threads, are being moved off of the main board for the purpose of focusing more attention on the question threads. In my opinion, the question threads already get tons of attention.
And, I will probably start to hang out more on the Stocking page and less on the main Diapering board, since the Stocking page will have what interests me. So it could have the unintended effect of less questions being answered.

When I was a diapering newbie, if the boards had been divided up in the manner they will be now, I would have been so intimidated by the "Stocking and Show Off" board (so much lingo I don't understand, etc.) I probably would never ever go there, and I would miss out on so much neat stuff.

But, whatever. I hope since we now have a "Stocking" board, we can have a sticky that lists the regular stocking times of some of our WAHM's, especially the congos, since I can never remember them.
#24 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
#25 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMetz
But, whatever. I hope since we now have a "Stocking" board, we can have a sticky that lists the regular stocking times of some of our WAHM's, especially the congos, since I can never remember them.
Oooh. Now that would be cool!

#26 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:

I don't have the time to go thru posts at 2 boards.. I liked the one stop shopping - I found out about stockings and saw beautiful new things and asked and answered questions... I'm sure I'll be posting a lot less if I have to do it on 2 boards.... :
#27 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 03:57 PM

guess im weird but i like the idea of seperating. I for one have had a few posts go unanswered or 1 or 2 replies with "sorry cant help ya" only to see the rest of the board with "look what i just got" or "what should i buy with my $200 dh gave me"
When i was a newbie i had tons of questions and your right i probly wouldnt go into the "other" section because i didnt need to. IF i ever decided i wanted to show off or something im sure i would have figured it out though!
p.s. love the sticky idea!!
#28 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2tadpoles0104
guess im weird but i like the idea of seperating. I for one have had a few posts go unanswered or 1 or 2 replies with "sorry cant help ya" only to see the rest of the board with "look what i just got" or "what should i buy with my $200 dh gave me"
You know sometimes we just genuinely don't know the answer to a question. The two people who posted that they couldn't help bumped the thread and gave others an opportunity to help if they could. But if someone asks a question that no one knows the answer to, what are we supposed to do?

#29 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers

I don't have the time to go thru posts at 2 boards.. I liked the one stop shopping - I found out about stockings and saw beautiful new things and asked and answered questions... I'm sure I'll be posting a lot less if I have to do it on 2 boards.... :

very well said. i didnt even know the other board was up until i read this thread!
#30 of 165 Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers

I am on dial up now and can't imagine having to wait for more then one section to load. As it is I already post less then I used to.

I wonder if we could have a vote about the change.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page