want to start using cloth wipes, but HOW do I start? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2005, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for advice on ctarting to use cloth wipes. Up until now we've been using disposable (bad I know). It makes more sense all around to use the cloth ones, but I'm unsure where to start. Do you make your own solution or use a pre-made one or none at all? Where do you store them? Do they travel well? What kind of fabric are your made of? All help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 PM

my first cloth wipes stash was a bunch of baby washcloths (that i was overloaded w/as shower gifts! LOL). since then, i've added to the stash by making my own flannel squares (personally, i really like flannel wipes).

i keep them dry by the diapers and before i change ds, i grab a diaper and a wipe, wet the wipe w/warm water then chase ds for his change. the dirty diaper and the wipe both go in the diaper pail and washed together.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 PM

I love my cloth wipes! I have various different materials and like them all. I prefer the smaller sized wipes. For storage, I just fold in half and keep stacks in various places. (The same places I store diapers, so they are always together!) I know some people use disposable wipe containers to hold their wipes, but I have not found that necessary.

For a solution, I fill a spray bottle with water and drop in a baby bit. You can buy them on several websites ... here's one link ... http://www.babysabode.com/Products/SBDBB.html

Good luck!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 PM

I made mine out of cheap washcloths from the dollar store. I cut them in half and serged around the outside to keep them from fraying. People use everything, old t-shirts, flannel scraps. I like the washcloth because it grabs the poo well. I store them in a tupperwear container on the changing table and cover them in plain warm water. I used to make solution from 2 cups water, 1 tbsp. baby wash, and 1 tbsp. olive oil but DD had rash problems. When I travel I toss a few in a Ziploc in the diaper bag and put the dirty in my wet bag. HTH
Old 09-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I just use washcloths and run them under the tap to wet them when I change a poopy diaper. I keep a pile of them in the bathroom drawer and more in the bucket with his diapers.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:11 PM

I bought wipes as I bought my newborn diaper stash. Most diaper WAHMs do wipes too. I have an assortment of different fabrics and sizes. I don't use a solution- just water. I get a small stack wet in the morning and put them on a tray next to where we change. I get more as I need them.

-Angela
Old 09-08-2005, 05:30 PM

We buy the cheapest, flimsiest "baby" washcloths from BRU, WalMart (94 cents for 8? OK!), whereever we can find them. We don't cut them, we just fold them. It's really not hard to start.

We also have some big thick ones from Kissaluvs and some other places, but they don't work much better and they are too big for the warmer (or they are so fluffy I can only get a relative few in the warmer vs 10-15 washcloths), so really don't add much value.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

It definitely makes sense to use cloth wipes with cloth dipes as the disposable ones frequently end up in the washer anyways. Guess I'm going to have to raid the linen closet for wipes and try it out. )Maybe one of dh's fleece shirts may disappear too...
Old 09-08-2005, 05:35 PM

As PP mentioned, you can use anything. I just stack mine near a sink (in my bathroom). I wet them with warm water when I need one. Nothing special. MY friend makes a wipe solution in a spray bottle and sprays her DD's bottom and then wipes. This is also a great idea. I toss them in the wet sack with the diaper and wash too.

My son has been PLing, and he still uses them to wipe his booty. They are excellent, multi function and easy.

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Great advice already. Here's what we do:

I made a bunch of wipes out of an old cotton jersey bedsheet. Just squares that are zigzag stitched to keep them from fraying. Our other wipes are baby washcloths that I was given(those cheap gerber ones) by MIL. They are folded and stuck dry in a basket next to the diapering supplies as soon as they get out of the dryer. Wipes solution is either baby bits(lots of wahm's carry them, they are a soap square that dissolves in water and smells yummy!) or Burt's Bee's Apricot oil and water in a spray bottle. For diaper changes I just grab a wipe, spray it, grab a diaper, and go to it! After changing I usually stuff the wipe in the diaper and toss in the pail. Very very easy. For outings we have wipes in a small cloth velcro bag that I made(out of curtains!) and a mini spray bottle for the same kind of system on the go. They get tossed in the wetbag along with the dirty dipe and then into the pail at home or directly into the washer, depending on when I'm running a load of diapers. I got the little spray bottle from Wal-Mart in the travel and trial sizes part of the health and beauty aids section. A lot of moms use small water bottles or even somebody here was saying they use their peri bottle from the hospital because they needed to find a use for it! I thought that was creative. I really like doing my wipes at each change because if I made a container of wet wipes for the day, they would get musty smelling because I would end up not using them all and they'd sit for a few days. ICK! So this works much better for us!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM

I have some of lots of different materials - they all do the job! I have been using plain water because DS is very rash prone (food allergies)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 PM

Haven't been CDing long, but on advice from my SIL, I just bought some yards of quilter's flannel (on sale, even). Then I cut it into squares with pinking shears so it won't fray too much in the wash.

As for wipes solution; I just put the wipes in a tupperware, wet them and then let the tupperware drain a bit. Because they're sealed, they stay damp. And I go through them fast enough that mold etc. isn't a problem.

So far, it works great!

Julia
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
All I bought was a 12 pack of washcloths and I keep a spray bottle full of water near my changing area.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 AM

I use FuzziBunz. I am wondering if any of these wipe materials will make my fleece pill? I use microfiber towels for inserts. I wonder if flannel or cheap cotton washclothes will fuzz those up? Flannel might not be too bad.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:21 AM

I have the MOE wipes, mainly. They're flannel on one side and microfleece on the others. MOE claims that they won't make your FBs pill. You could make them yourself if you have any sewing skill (I don't... yet). If the flannel is well loved and no longer produces much lint, it should be safe for your FBs. The flannel is good for cleaning up messes, and I like the fleece side for "finishing up" because it's so soft!

I use baby bits solution and keep it in a wipes warmer next to the changing table. I toss a couple wipes in at a time and wring them out well before using them. It's quick and simple. I keep a water bottle filled with solution for the diaper bag. It's easy, and the cloth wipes work MUCH better than sposie wipes on poop!
Old 09-10-2005, 04:22 AM

Right around the time I was getting curious about cloth wipes, my dd got a nasty staph infection rash that needed antibiotic ointment. What do you know, the rash got worse... and my friend told me I couldn't use "wipes" with the ointment, I would have to use a wet paper towel. I took that as a sign to try out cloth wipes! And sure enough they're easy and awesome! I got a few random ones from www.lilbunz.com (I think I got the random mixture from her - a little of everything), and also bought the foaming wipe spray AND the Kissaluvs Lotion Potion.

I fell in love with cloth wipes, and bought more from a WAHM (flannel/sherpa, flannel/velour, sherpa/velour, etc.).

Here I am a year later, and I STILL can't decide which wipes solution I like best - I still use both the foam and the potion lotion, depending on my mood! Sometimes I just run them under water - that helps when it's REALLY stuck to dd's bottom.

And as far as portable - yup! Just as portable as sposies. I keep 10-12 wipes plus a travel-wipes-solution in the diaper bag at all times. The dirties are thrown in the wetbag with the dirty dipes.

-Elizabeth
Old 09-10-2005, 05:52 AM

I have a small spray bottle with water and a tiny bit of baby wash and a pile of wipes that are just kept with my diapers and grab them when I grab a diaper. I spray the butt and wipe or I spray the wipe and wipe. I have some fleece squares that I use for poo because they grab it well and cut up flannel receiving blankets for the rest of the time.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I just got a serger, so it will be really easy to make some. What about using the plethora of flannel receiving blankets I have and just cutting them up, will that work? Also, what size are your wipes?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmamomma
What about using the plethora of flannel receiving blankets I have and just cutting them up, will that work? Also, what size are your wipes?
That would work fine, I think. I used baby wash cloths last time I CD'd. I've been using sposie wipes the last few weeks just because I have a TON (bought a box from Sam's not too long ago), but I have decided to give those away and drag out the baby wash cloths again. They just work SO much better, and every time I've cleaned up poopy butt the last week or so, I've been reminded of how much better cloth wipes work. The problem is that I remember this when I'm upstairs with DS on the changing table, and all my baby wash cloths are downstairs in my room from back when DS slept in there and got changed on our dresser. Ugh... Mommy Brain!

For size... If you have baby wash cloths, they fold in half and fit perfectly in wipes warmers or sposie wipes containers. So you could measure those and make yours that size if you wanted.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 PM

My system is very simple, and works famously for us. I have a bunch of the cheap white washcloths from Walmart (when ds was a smaller baby I used the 6x6 thin stretch-terry baby washcloths which are $94 for a five-pack at Walmart). I stuff as many as will fit into the wipes warmer (for the big washcloths it is about 8, the tiny ones fit many more). I keep a gallon-jug of water with one drop of TTO in it in ds's room, near the changing table(to prevent mold, but not enough to irritate DS's tushie skin).

I pour some of the water over the wipes and that is all. I refill the warmer when it's empty (about every day to every other day. Just throw the dirty wipes into the pail with the diapers.

WHan I am going out of the house, I grab 2 or 3 of the cloths out of the warmer and put them in a Gladware container I have for just this purpose. Drop that into the diaper bag.

If I remeber, when I get home, I put the unused wipes back in the warmer. If I don't remember, they can stay in there safely for two to three days. After that I'd toss them in the pail and rinse out the container for next time.

Karin, mom to W (6.5) and wife to B.Babywearing Educator serving New England since 2005. NBPBWI-trained
Old 09-11-2005, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The simplest way to start is to get a bunch of baby washcloths (you might even have a bunch already) and use plain tap water on them. Old (or new) flannel receiving blankets should work fine- I would guess that most of my wipes are between 4" and 6" square.

When I first switched to cloth, I continued using disposable wipes while traveling, but it 's really not that hard to put wet wipes in a ziplock baggie or re-use a wipes travel case from sposie wipes.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 09-11-2005, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I surged my first few wipes this evening out of an old receiving blanket. Tomorrow morning is the trial run. Jeez, this serger makes things so easy!
Old 09-15-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyShin
I use FuzziBunz. I am wondering if any of these wipe materials will make my fleece pill? I use microfiber towels for inserts. I wonder if flannel or cheap cotton washclothes will fuzz those up? Flannel might not be too bad.
Excuse my ignorance but what does the wipe have to do with causing the fleece to pill? I use mostly fb's and I just bought some velour wipes. Do I have anything to worry about? Is it washing them together that causes pilling?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvJAH
Excuse my ignorance but what does the wipe have to do with causing the fleece to pill? I use mostly fb's and I just bought some velour wipes. Do I have anything to worry about? Is it washing them together that causes pilling?

Here's my understanding of the pilling issue. Natural fibers, such as cotton and hemp, produce lint when washed. If the natural fibers are washed with microfleece, this lint can become tangled in the microfleece, causing it to pill. Newer items produce *much* more lint than those that have been washed numerous times. So brand new cotton flannel wipes will likely cause quite a bit of pilling, while wipes that have been in use for a couple months probably won't have much impact. I'm anal retentive about pilling, so I wash my fuzzi bunz seperately from all natural fibers and they've stayed pretty darned soft. But the one or two times that a cotton washcloth found it's way into the load, I did notice a change in the fleece.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 PM

I'd give up on CD before I quit using cloth wipes : . I use plain water (my changing area is two steps from a bathroom sink). I use mostly cheap regular washclothes plus a few WAHM freebies. They area also great as cloth TP for my three year old. If I deem them too gross I just throw them out.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:38 PM

OK good to know. I should wash my FB and cottonbabies inserts separate from my hemp inserts & velour wipes. And I guess my kissaluv's and the Bumkins AIO I have should not be washed with my FB's either right?

Jeez CD is complicated... just when I think I finally got it all figured out I find out something new.

User Tag List