Is there such a thing as a wool cover you can machine wash and dry? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had bad luck with nighttime diapering with DD. She's in FB during the day, but her legs are a little too slim for the size we have and at night she always gets leaks around the legs. I can't afford to replace them all with Petite Toddler size.

I have lots and lots of prefolds and would like to try a new cover solution for night. I think this would be the cheapest way. I tried Aristocrats when she was little and they worked great--the wool and those cuff legs stop the leaks. But I just can't keep up with the wool care. Are there any wool covers you can machine wash and dry, or that dry fast on the line? Or can you suggest another cover? The Bummis SWW have not worked for us either for night. I have another PUL cover--Bumkins?--that also did not work.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 02:46 PM

elbee baby wooly bullies can be, but they are hard to get. there is a soaker instock at knitinyourpants.com that is machine washable too

you can also buy big and wash and dry a few times to shrink then use it like that from then on.

id recommend getting some spray lanolin as well for quick and easy lanolizing.

wool care really isnt hard... you just wash it when it smells bad or gets dirty(for us thats once a month) and lanolize when it starts to leak... for us thats every 1-2 months.
#3 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 02:51 PM

Biobottoms can be machine washed and dried...but that's only from hearsay - I've had no experience with them myself. I do know that the company that made them is currently out of business but I'm seen them on the TP every once in a while. Not sure if you would have to lanolize those once in a while or not....HTH

#4 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! Our problem is that DD is an early-AM pooper, so any night diapers are likely to get poopy. I couldn't keep up with all the hand-washing and line-drying of the Aristocrats because of this. The lanolinizing isn't a big deal although that spray stuff sounds great--where do you get it?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM

The spray lanolin is available at monkeysudz.com and I think FuzEasys/Firefly Easy Wool covers are machine washable too, but I've never tried it.
#6 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Hug-a-dub-dub makes a nice spray-on lanolin

http://www.hugadubdub.com

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#7 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 03:20 PM

we are using mostely loveybums wool covers right now...i just throw them in with the diapers cold-cold and put it through a couple of times..then hang them above the drier as the dipes dry...so far so good.
#8 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 06:03 PM

http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/organ...ooljersey.html

never tried these but would like to
#9 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 06:35 PM

Contact a WAHM and ask if she'll do some in a superwash wool. Encore is a acrylic/wool blend that feels wooly and is still machine washable. There are several different superwash yarns out there you could try.You could also go with pure acrylic and machine wash.
#10 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stacinator fleece covers are machine washable/dryable (at least I do it!). But they're the THICKEST/BULKIEST cover I've ever seen! Hey, they get the job done, and it's okay if DH forgets and puts it in the diaper pail!

-Elizabeth
#11 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 11:42 PM

Stacinators are machine washable!
#12 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsumam11
Biobottoms can be machine washed and dried...but that's only from hearsay
they can be washed and dried, but definately not a good night-time option imo
#13 of 16 Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 AM

Most wool interlock covers are machine washable. What you might want to try is a washable cover mentioned above and then a pair of wool interlock pants on top of this and use them as pj bottoms. This way you have double protection. Another idea is to get some wool liners and lay these between the diaper and cover.
#14 of 16 Old 09-14-2005, 01:45 AM

I think that you can machine wash Imse Vimse Bumpy Wool covers, but I am NOT 100% sure (I still wash it by hand with my other wool). I have one that I use as a nighttime cover and it is BULLETPROOF! No leaks whatsoever!
Lots of places carry them, so they are easy to get. I got mine from Cottontail baby.

HTH!
Laura
#15 of 16 Old 09-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Ok

Bumpy wool can definitely be washed in the machine, although I still line dry. And I think its close to bulletproof re: night cover (although I don't have the heaviest of wetters and at this point C doesn't even pee at night )

I've also used fleece successfully overnight...and it gets washed with regular laundry. (which also makes it fine play-in-the-mud wear too )

I've also made some butt-sweaters for C and I felted the heck out of the wool before I made them. So, given that they'd been washed on hot and dried in the drier at least 3 times before being sewn up... they were thick, deeply felted, and able to be washed in the machine. I've made both shorts and longies this way.

Wool and fleece are pretty much all we use. Love it Love it Love it. I even love wool washing day (by hand, which is for most of the wool we have).
#16 of 16 Old 09-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I was also going to suggest sewing covers from heavily felted wool! I'd suggest machine washing and hang drying- I've found it to be no big deal to hang up the covers while I'm transfering the diapers into the dryer, and the covers do last much, much longer that way. Wool takes a while to dry, but if you have enough covers, it's OK (say 3 covers if you wash them daily.)

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page