Please hold my hand... just started to CD 17-month twins - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've just started to CD my 17-month old twins We moved to a house and I finally have a fabulous washer and dryer. I'm so happy that I've made this choice! I've been doing this for about 4 weeks, and I love it!!! I thought it would be a lot grosser, but it really isn't! Frankly, taking the Diaper Genie sausage to the trash grosses me out more than CDing! :LOL

After doing a lot of research, I'm using the much-despised Kushies Ultra diapers. I'd read that a lot of people don't like 'em, but I don't think they are bad a all! They were so cheap (I got 2nds at the Kushies outlet), and with wiggly twins, I didn't want to have to put a cover on them too... so these AIO's work well for me... anyways ...

I'll just detail what I do, and if anyone has any advice, tips, etc.. PLEASE fire away... I don't have a lot of time to search through the archives, so feel free to direct me to a previous thread... thanks!

- I have 35 Kushies Ultras
- I put wet diapers in a pail in the bathroom and bring them downstairs at the end of the day. Dirty diapers I take downstairs ASAP and rinse off in the laundry sink downstairs. I let the water just wash everything away, and I use a brush to wipe away any chunkies. Geeroooss! My big diaper pail is a garbage pail downstairs. I can fit up to 35 diapers in my pail and Kenmore HE3 washer. I soak the diapers in water and vinegar. I usually wash around every 3 days.
- Wash Routine: Put on rubber gloves and throw diapers into this front-load washer. I do a rinse and spin, then wash on "whitest whites" (HOT wash and 2 cold rinse) with an extended spin.

My washer gets the diaps pretty clean, but I'm wondering if I should be soaking them in something other than just vinegar? Do I HAVE to soak them at all?

Now this front-load washer... there has to be an easier way to get the diaps in there without dripping poo-poo water all over the floor? Is there something I don't know?

Thanks so much for helping me out here, as I don't know ANYONE who uses cloth!!!

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 04:15 PM

: Welcome and congratulations on your first month of CDing!

It doesn't matter what you use as long as it's working for you! I've not used the Kushies brand, but on the company's site it does say to pre-soak the diapers. Here's the link: Kushies FAQ

I'm not really sure why they say the diapers have to be wet-pailed. I use a dry pail, and I was going to suggest you try that. I used a wet pail briefly when my DD was a newborn and hated trying to get the diapers into the washing machine without dripping on my toes (and everything else).

Otherwise, maybe a washable waterproof mat on the floor under the door to your machine? Anything plastic would be slippery, especially if your floor is carpeted.

Your wash routine seems spot on. Sigh - I wish my machine had an extra rinse option... :LOL I have to remember to run an extra rinse.

Maylen

Me treehugger.gif+ Him eat.gif + DD flower.gif + DSS1 guitar.gif + DSS2 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#3 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Congrats on making the switch! It's so fun too .
I use a dry pail and wash every night. The only advice I have is to invest in a diaper sprayer (also called a minishower). It hooks right up to the toilet and you spray off the poo into the toilet. It is amazing and I don't know how I ever managed without one!
Congrats also on CDing twins
#4 of 9 Old 09-17-2005, 08:35 PM

wtg!!! glad to hear you decided to cd. it is great once you get the hang of it!!!!!!!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#5 of 9 Old 09-18-2005, 10:06 AM

That's great! We have just one 17-month old, and he creates an astonishing amount of mischief just on his own.

Our washer is similar to yours, it is the fanciest top-loader, and I run it through on Whitest Whites once with the water turned to cold, no soap, catalyst turned off. Then I put soap in, run it through again on Whitest whites on the defaults. Sometimes I turn on the "soak" but sometimes not. Since it automatically rinses 2x in each cycle we've not had problems with the diapers getting clean.

Our only problem is forgetting them in the washer overnight, and then they get rotten.
#6 of 9 Old 09-18-2005, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the warm welcome I lurked a lot before I finally had the guts to make the switch. Although I would have liked to have started earlier, I really had a crappy washer and dryer at our old rental, and I don't think it would have worked out.

I'd be so happy to not have to soak the dipes in anything - is there anything I should know about NOT soaking them? I thought that if you left them too long without being soaked that they can burn.. get holes in them, etc.. Is this not true?

thanks,
Christine
#7 of 9 Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia
Thanks so much for the warm welcome I lurked a lot before I finally had the guts to make the switch. Although I would have liked to have started earlier, I really had a crappy washer and dryer at our old rental, and I don't think it would have worked out.

I'd be so happy to not have to soak the dipes in anything - is there anything I should know about NOT soaking them? I thought that if you left them too long without being soaked that they can burn.. get holes in them, etc.. Is this not true?

thanks,
Christine
If you left them for a really, really long period of time the ammonia could damage the fabric, probably..but you have 2 babies and probably can't go long enough without washing that it would get to that point.

We don't soak at all, and it hasn't been a problem.
#8 of 9 Old 09-18-2005, 04:07 PM

Hi! And welcome. I have 18 month old twins. I started cding at about 7 months and love it too. I also got grossed out with carrying the big trash bag of diapers out every night. I thought there just had to be a better way!

I second the minishower!!! I didn't think I would care that I didn't have one. But once I stopped bfing the poops were hard to get off. Now I don't know what I would do without one.

We use a dry pail too. I got a cheap trash can with a pop lid at Target. Then I got a Bummis waterproof bag to go in it. I just throw the diapers in it and keep it in our garage where our washer is. I wash every other day.

HTH some and good luck!!
#9 of 9 Old 09-18-2005, 07:18 PM

We also dry pail! The best advice I can say is get some pail pals or deo disk! LOL

Congrats on making the switch!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page