Diaper Pail Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Safety 1st diaper pail and a MOE pail liner. Just *how* stinky can I expect it to be (washing every 2-3 days) with newborn, breastfed poop/pee diapers? Can I have the pail be in the living room (which is where the changing table is), or should I keep the pail in a bathroom? Does breastfed poop need to be dunked or sprayed? Laundry room is in basement, so not an option. I used sposies with my first 2, so I really need some advice here.

Also, do I need more that one pail liner? I only bought one, then I realized maybe 2 would be better? One for while the other is in the washer?

Thanks!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#2 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 09:18 PM

It shouldn't be very stinky at all. I don't spray off my newborn's diapers and we jave no stink issues washing every 2 days with a MOE hanging wet bag that hangs open off the bathroom doorknob. It's surely less stinky than a diaper genie full of sposies! Now THAT is horrendous!
#3 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 10:27 PM

I think two pail liners would make things easier for you. I only have one and put any dirty diapers in the unlined pail until the liner is done. It's not a big deal, but two would be nice. I don't think you'll have much stink. I dry pail a 15 mo old's diapers in an uncovered pail and we don't have stink unless I go too long before washing, or if he eats a lot of fruit.
#4 of 11 Old 10-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
As long as the lid isn't completely airtight, you shouldn't have a problem. Airtight lids won't let the poop dry out and wet poop is always stinkier than dried out poop! Sorry! But bf poop usually doens't stink and all you do is toss it in the pail and then dump it in the washer. Nothing special. Our pail is a $5 sterilite push-button lid garbage can from Wal-Mart with no liner. I wash it out every once in a while and hit it with a blast of sunshine but that's it. No maintenance really. Our pail used to be in our bedroom next to the clothing hamper but now it's in Sara's room now that she has her own room. It's right next to the changing pad and the diaper stuff just for simplicity's sake. It's in her closet to be exact because I have an in-home daycare and for health regs, it needs to be inaccessible to the children even though it's got a lid. Otherwise I'd just leave it out! If you want a liner in your pail, I'd definitely get two. That way you wash one with the dipes while the other is in the pail awaiting the dirties. The pail really shouldnt' get stinky at all as long as you wash every 2 days or so. Most people here agree that you should wash every other day, but no longer than every 3 days to avoid stink problems. And truly, your washer will probably only hold 2 days worth of diapers anyway so it's easier to run one wash than 2 small washes. If you change in the living room and you want your pail there, GO FOR IT! It could never be as bad as a diaper genie "sausage" anyway! ICK!

Meg
Oh and by the way, I've been diapering for 9 months now with this daughter and my first daughter was cd'ed as a toddler until potty learning and I have NEVER dunked a diaper in my life and my younger dd is eating solids to some degree. We use our washer as a wet pail to soak the really disgusting ones and then sun the stains after washing and my diapers still look basically brand new. I'm very picky about my diapers and stains. I hate stains and I like everything to look clean as well as BE clean. But you can bet I'm NOT sticking my hands in the toilet to dunk a diaper. BLECK!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#5 of 11 Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Our pail has never been stinky, so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Definitely get another liner, though. You'll want to throw them in the wash with the diapers, so it's good to have another one to put in the pail.
#6 of 11 Old 10-29-2005, 12:43 AM

Its not stinky at all. When my babies were newborns, I kept the diaper pail in the livingroom or in my bedroom, and it didnt even have a lid on it at first, since it was just for nb breatfed poops.
I plan to do the same at first so its convenient and I dont have to walk too much after birth.
#7 of 11 Old 10-29-2005, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!!!

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#8 of 11 Old 10-30-2005, 10:23 AM

If your pails get stinky you can add a pail pal to the diaper pail. Also deoboost to your wash.
#9 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 PM

Quote:
As long as the lid isn't completely airtight, you shouldn't have a problem. Airtight lids won't let the poop dry out and wet poop is always stinkier than dried out poop!

O.M.G. This makes some sense, although it seems like a leap of faith for me to try this. Have you any IDEA how stinky a pail can be after only 1 day with my son's diapers--in an airtight can? It's horrible. But my CDiapering friend suggested the airtight lid idea. Seemed like a good idea.

Are you SURE the unlidded pail won't cause a big stink, if it's holding my 15 month-old son's soiled diapers? I wash every other day.
#10 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Could we just put the CDs in the washing mashin to await a nightly wash?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#11 of 11 Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 PM

I suppose you could if you weren't planning on doing any other laundry....I choose not to do that because I have to do two loads of family laundry a day so it's just not a good storage place in our house. But I have done it when it was a peanut butter poo diaper and I was going to wash in the next hour or two anyway.

We do a Sterilite-type trash can from Target, alternate two bags (a large MOE bag and a Bummis Tote) so I can just wash everything and toss the liner in the wash with the diapers, then put a new liner in the pail so the pail never really has a chance to get stinky. I tape a pail pal to the lid of the pail and change it about twice a month. That seems to kill pretty much all stink-and I've got a toddler who isn't making those sweet newborn poops anymore!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page