diapering heartache - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As some of you know, I live with my inlaws as a result of last years hurricanes (I started my WAH business just to save money and LEAVE) and my inlaws STRICTLY PROHIBIT the use of wool and fleece covers. I need a place to live so I honor their rules. however they wern't home yesterday and I had just made my first bum sweater, cause I plan on selling them if my sewing ever gets good enough and I HAD to test it to see if it worked right??? Now I want to use wool SOOOOOO bad!!! but I CAN'T
#2 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM

What's their problem with wool and fleece covers? Is it they don't want to change them? (In which case, can't you use whatever you want when YOU are the one changing the baby?). Or do they have a problem with covers hanging up everywhere to air out? Or did they get attacked by a sheep?

Just wondering.....
#3 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM

What do wool and fleece have in common that they would hate BOTH of them? I can't even imagine.

Single mom of 2 boys
#4 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

if it's not PUL or rubber pants it's NO. they want absolutle waterproof! It dosen't matter how much i tell them fleece and wool are virtually water proof it's a "My house my carpet my rules" issue
#5 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 06:59 PM

Wow, they really suck. I am so sorry. What if you show them some links talking about how well they work as diaper covers?
#6 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 PM

Well I would cut a pair of pul pants so just the waistband was left, and leave it sticking up out from under the wool cover, kwim. just so they THINK your babe is in plastic pants under the wool

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#7 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 07:18 PM

wow, that really sucks. Hope you get out of there soon.
#8 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 07:57 PM

I hope I never become one of those kinds of parents.

We have brand new off white carpeting in a brand new house and I know that stains will happen and I will have to deal with them. We have kids and pets, something will happen. LOL I rather live fully then be so attached to material things that I can not be human.

Dang.

Blessings,
Kimmy

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#9 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 PM

Wow, that's pretty harsh.
I had more problems with leaking and wicking when using PUL covers. I have never had a leak with our wool!
I hope you can move soon and get back to living the way you want to
#10 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Whoa, they do sound like jerks. I agree with the above poster, I've never had a leak with wool EVER, especially when you use pants or shorts.
#11 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM

Any time wool has "leaked" for me, it has only made my DS's pants a little damp. It's not like the pee is going to be squirting like a fire hose onto their carpet. : As long as you change your DC often there will never be a leak with wool. Especially if it is lanolized well.

I'm sorry your having to deal with that mama. How annoying!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#12 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

It's just brought me to the conclusion that one family can't grow under another families rules. thay arn't terrible people, they just refuse to believe that something so obviously porus could hold water. Just like they don't see why having a tv running constantly annoys me, or why I like to pick a glass for the day and drink out of just the one glass, refilling it as my thirst requires throughout the day rather than using a glass, washing it and putting it away for EACH AND EVERY drink I would like that day.
#13 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
why I like to pick a glass for the day and drink out of just the one glass, refilling it as my thirst requires throughout the day rather than using a glass, washing it and putting it away for EACH AND EVERY drink I would like that day.
LOL, my BIL is so funny with me doing this - he picks my glass up all the time and says "is this YOUR glass?"

Sucks about the wool.
#14 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyandmikey
Well I would cut a pair of pul pants so just the waistband was left, and leave it sticking up out from under the wool cover, kwim. just so they THINK your babe is in plastic pants under the wool

to you, H
#15 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM

I'm sorry--that really bites!
#16 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 PM

What a major bummer!
#17 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 PM

Ok, understand now. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, they think they've got their house "protected" now; what about when your child gets sick and throws up all over the furniture/carpet; or takes off running after their bath and pees on the floor before you can catch them; or shakes their sippy cup as hard as they can to make the milk come out; or when they are potty training and make CONSTANT PUDDLES; ETC ETC ETC!!! Such is life with a child, and I have personally found that leaking through wool or fleece covers is a LOT less of a concern than all the other ways children can make a mess! But I'm sure you already know that.
#18 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 PM

Umm, seriously. You have a baby, and you're living with them. They really think that nothing is going to get colored on, peed on, puked on, pooped on, drawn on, etc. They sound like they're a bit in need of a reality check.

Last month, ds found a sharpie marker (that dh brought home from the lab, and supposedly kept out of ds's reach ), and now my off-white ottoman looks like a zebra. Whatcha' gonna do? I laughed, cleaned the ink off ds with some rubbing alcohol and went on with my day. I figure that's just life until all my kids are teenagers, and then I'll have a whole different set of problems.
#19 of 27 Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 PM

Ok, I was just telling dh about your situation, and since he is such a gentle, kind, encouraging person, he said I should have actually said that you are to be admired for sticking with your IL's rules, etc. If you couldn't figure it out from my posts, I'm a little bit argumentative...

ANYWAY, here's what I'll say this time:
Even though wool and fleece ARE nice, you are doing a good job by submitting to your IL's authority as the owners of the home you are residing in. I understand that it is a hard situation, but everything is going to work out fine, and I hope you are able to move into your own place soon. (And as a side note--- after going through phases of all-wool, I personally currently use Dappi and Bummis pull-on nylon covers on my boys because I LOVE how leakproof they are, and never have to worry about diaper sticking out.... so even though you are wishing you could do wool, think of the positives of the covers you are using- cheap, easy to care for, etc!!!).

Ok, reading this it sounds a bit cheesy, but oh well. I'm in a mood.
#20 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 01:52 AM

I do think that they're being silly but what can you do I guess. I use plenty of PUL and nylon and like it just fine but I made some bum sweaters today and will be using those around the house a lot more. Whenever I've had wool leak at all it just wicked a tiny bit and didnt' cause any issues. Plus, it's not like your child will be lying on the carpet for a long time to cause any wicking anyway.
#21 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

If I''m still living here when she's old enough to color on the walls I'll tear my hair out, seriously...It'll be time to start selling blood (any one need an extra kidney?) The first time the word "Pimp" or "Tit" comes out of my child's mouth I'll gently tell my daughter the right word then take a page from my mom's book and wash THEIR mouths out with soap. Short-term in-laws are ok but there is only so long an adult can be forced into some of the more child-like situations before they can't stand it. Being told when to do laundry and that our bedroom really HAD to be cleaned. I though i got rid of that stuff when I started paying my own bills. Of course that's what's got us in this mess...not being able to pay all of our bills *sigh* at least we got the switch to cloth in the first place. There was some...issue...over that. In the mean time I'm thinking of not sewing anymore wool. I really like it, but I don't think I can part with some of it.
#22 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 06:15 AM

I'm so glad my mom likes my wool! I would hate to only use pul! Especially since the boys seem to pee right out of pul! LOL Hopefully ya'll will be able to get your own place again soon! It is hard to live with parents once you have your own family!
#23 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 AM

just wanted to give you a big hug. I hope things get better for you so that you can get out of there All you can do is take it one day at a time & know that you are doing the best you can for your child
#24 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtladyfare
It's just brought me to the conclusion that one family can't grow under another families rules.

ITA! And IFYP! We lived with a dear old lady for 6 months due to hurricane Ivan last year. She is in her late 80s and as sweet as can be, but not shy about giving her opinion on EVERY parenting decision I made. Either I was too harsh or too lenient in my discipline decisions. Either I was too strict about what they ate, or I "shouldn't let them eat so much junk". I was strongly encouraged that i needed to get the flu shot and give it to both kids, and you should have heard the lecture when she overheard me talking to a friend about finding a doctor who was cool about not vaxing! :

And on and on and on for six months....thankfully *only* six months! Now, nearly a year after moving out of her house, I love her very much, and I'm so thankful that she opened her home to us. I take her grocery shopping every week and clean house for her, and she is a granny to my kids and we all adore her. She is even giving me knitting and crochet lessons! But it is soooooo hard to live on someone else's turf. So. Very. Hard.

Come to think of it, one of the only issues we didn't butt heads about was diapers. Obviously, she used cloth with all her own children, and she was impressed to see how nice and easy my cloth was! Plus, her dogs made enough messes on the carpets that she would never have noticed if my kids had left puddles!

Anyway, to you, I hope you get through it all soon!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#25 of 27 Old 11-08-2005, 03:00 PM

I know this wouldnt make much sense but could you use some nylon pants for your Il's sake but put your wool over them? At least you can show off your wool ...? I dont know.....or put wool on him at night? Im sorry they dont understand......

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#26 of 27 Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 AM

Okay, I know this is dishonest, but could you 'pretend' there's a layer of PUL in between?

I make my fleece covers out of two layers. You could just say there's a layer of PUL in there to make it extra waterproof. B/c PUL and plastic pants are so icky to use, as the skin doesn't get to breath. Same with 'sposies. *sigh*
They don't have pets, I suppose?

Ignorant, stubborn people. Unwilling to educate themselves.
#27 of 27 Old 11-09-2005, 01:27 AM

could you use wool just at night?

We use our wool primarily at night when babe is in her diaper FOREVER! That way your babe could have a nice breathable butt all night long and any leaks would be contained to the bed/ crib/ sleeping place which could easily be protected with a towel or changing pad under the sheet. And really are they going to notice if babe gets changed just before bed and just after they wake up?

Then you can use some wool but still abide by the 'rules'

We lived with a woman and her 8 yr old when we were broke and living in England while my DW finished her masters degree. All I'll say is 13 cats is about 11 cats too many for a small house!

Oh, and hey, PUL really does rock... imagine if we only had rubber or plastic pants!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page