Sposies and diaper covers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not a CD-er, but I'm wondering if my 21 month old ds could benefit from some CD products. He is a very heavy wetter. We use sposies, and I need to change him 2-3 times during the night, and even then he leaks (the diaper doesn't seem to be able to absorb the amount he pees). I was looking at wool and fleece diaper covers and wondering if they work over sposies (plus they're so cute!). And what about bed-wetting pants? Might they work over a sposie? I'm so clueless! Thanks.
#2 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
A cloth diaper cover would probably help, but a cover is only as good as the absorbant diaper underneath! So you may need to add a doubler of some sort. I know they make sposie doublers - a friend of mine has seen them in Publix, and they supposedly look kind of like mama pads, but without the waterproof backing. Also, when I used sposies, I tended to need to size up for nighttime (like put him in a size 4 when he was really a size 3). I actually switched to cloth partly because he was leaking in sposies at night on occasion. So now I use a regular size Chinese prefold and a preemie size Chinese prefold, topped with a side-snapping wool cover. Leaks are gone! My DS isn't able to soak 3 sposies at night though. He was just soaking one and leaking a bit out of that. For your DS, if you wanted to try a cloth diaper solution, you'd probably have to go with hemp.

I definitely recommend wool as a cover though, regardless of what's underneath. It will help absorb some of the moisture, while preventing the moisture from getting all over everything else outside the cover. Yes, it's handwash only, but I'm the queen of lazy, and I find washing wool very easy to do. It just takes a few minutes to wash and lanolize, and I only do it about once every 2-3 weeks. I use the same cover every night, and a little bit during the day. The handwashing is what kept me from trying wool sooner, but now I'm glad I finally tried it!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#3 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 PM

A wool cover or longies (wool pants) would probably work. Just make sure they're lanolized well.
When ds was young and we were trying to make the transition to cloth, we put him in a (badly) pinned prefold and used the sposie as a cover. Then I got some snappis and more covers, but still, that combo worked pretty well for a while, so that may be an option worth looking at as well.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#4 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 PM

when my son was soaking through the night I bought him an aristocrat and used that over disposables. Worked great.
After awhile I bough him a couple of fuzzi bunz with 2 joey bunz for each and used the crat with those.
#5 of 8 Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM

I used 'sposies on an extended trip when my daughter was two months old, and I found that they leaked poo really badly (still in that runny newborn poo stage) so I started using my Prorap and Bummis cloth covers over top of the sposies, to contain the mess if the diaper couldn't. It worked okay. But a cover, like the PP said, is only as good as the diaper inside it, when it comes to pee leaks. I think wool is probably your best bet.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#6 of 8 Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 AM

We put a Litewrap PUL cover over Mark's night-time disposable. Sometimes, my husband sneaks a fleece topped terry doubler in there as well. The inside of the cover is always wet in the morning. It does keep his clothes dry. But if he's going completely through several dipes a night anyway, you do need a cover that will do more than just keep the dampness out. Wool or fleece!
#7 of 8 Old 11-25-2005, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers and suggestions!

boscopup, you made me laugh because I thought I was the queen of lazy, and was leaning away from wool for that reason! But I'll give it a try.
#8 of 8 Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 AM

I don't think it would be a good idea to put any wool or PUL covers over a sposie because you're just holding in even more heat. I'd be afraid your baby might wake up to a really bad rash. IMO Sposies are hot anyway, and your babies little bum needs to breath

I think you could really benefit from using some cloth diapers at night time Cloth is more absorbant and you would only need a few.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page