Simplifying Stashes & Diapering on a Dime: Same or Different Things? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree completely. The "absence of luxury and showiness" is only a very small part of the connotation of simplicity. Simple means at its core NOT COMPLICATED. If you have nothing but flats and prorap seconds and it's a pain in the neck, it's not a simple stash. If you have 59 embroidered Little Caboose diapers and it's easy to use, that's a simple stash. Heck, one- or two-sized AIOs are arguably the simplest system of all--no covers, no major size changes, predictable and easy.

There's nothing INHERENTLY simpler about an inexpensive system. (I would also argue that simplicity is not automatically a virtue, but that's a different thread entirely.) But you certainly can have a simple expensive system or a complicated cheap system. Remember, there's a REASON fitteds and AIOs were invented. If flats and prefolds were the best, always, the simplest and most advantageous, then we never would have done anything different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
As it should be! It is a refreshing change isn't it? It's good to feel like we have a place here again. I started using cloth because I have a SN kid that I knew wouldn't PL as most kids do. She's 3 and still in diapers. Unfortunatly, I can't find any cloth that fit and will hold that much pee. She's in good nights full time now. I hate them with a passion. She can't stand so it's really hard to even get them on her. The only ones I found were like 30 dollars each. I couldn't do it knowing that if they didn't hold enough there was no chance of selling them. Who else needs giant diapers? However, I am still very simply cloth diapering my 12 month old. He's sitting here playing in a pinned prefold right now!
My ds is autistic and is almost 4. He is not understanding potty learning and will be in diapers for awhile longer. I just switched him to xl fuzzi bunz with microfiber towels and it is working wonderfully for him. I have 9 of them and wash almost everyday. I also have a dozen toddler prefolds for backup for situations when he might go through more diapers in a day (sickness and such.) This is both simple and frugal diapering for him.

My youngest ds (3 months old this week) is also diapered simply and frugally. He is in trifolded infant prefolds and proraps most of the time. We have two bumkins all in ones for the diaper bag and I made him 10 fitteds to use with dappi pull ons. Not quite as simple a stash as I want - but we use all of it. When he outgrows these diapers he will hopefully have an even simpler stash of 12 reg. prefolds/proraps and 12 med. fuzzi bunz.

I have been steadily decluttering the stuff around our house for a few years now. It feels so great and free to get rid of stuff that is just taking up space and is not really used or loved. The process of decluttering/simplifing is really a lifestyle change and ongoing. Now when I buy something new, I have to get rid of something not being used. (get rid of can mean donating/selling/recyling - not necessarily throwing out.)
Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
We diaper with a mix of frugal and simple. We use fuzzi bunz for simple during days(I have an in-home daycare) and we diaper with prefolds and wool for frugal(my own knit woolies!) outside daycare hours. I think we have the best of both worlds. I keep thinking I should go to all fuzzi bunz for a completely simple stash but then I'd miss my prefolds and wool so I am having trouble simplifying down to that.

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM

We used to have about 4 dozen various hyena type diapers, tons of wool longies/shorts/soakers, scores of covers.

Then I realized that I was spending far too much money, time and effort on it. Time and money that would be better off going to other things, other people.

So I sold it all. Kept about 8 wool covers/soakers. One pair of pants. And bought 2 dozen premium prefolds... what I had originally started with. I've never been happier. It's simple. It's cheap. I'm not spending tons of time searching for the next best thing. There's no more competition... it's just diapering my kid. Cheaply.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmorest
I've never been happier. It's simple. It's cheap. I'm not spending tons of time searching for the next best thing. There's no more competition... it's just diapering my kid. Cheaply.
That's a fabulous testimony to the 'magic' of simplicity. Thank you.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

User Tag List