Detergents, Free&Clears, and Purex - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
To the person who mentioned using the WS/SG on all their clothes- we've been using them on most washes recently, and it's going very well.
Thank you!

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#122 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 03:48 PM

I just wanted to add a quick note re: Method. I noticed they have a F&C detergent, but when I emailed them about it they said it does contain brighteners. Blah.

I've been using the SG/WS method for 2 months now and no problems. However, I am a newbie to cloth so not sure yet if this method is causing any excessive wear on my diapers yet.
#123 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 PM

Is anyone using washing soda/simple green in a front loader?

My DH is installing my new (first floor ) washer/dryer today!!! So...now I have to figure out how to wash my dipes and other clothes in a FL.
#124 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM

IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!!

OH HAPPY DAY! SG/WS GOT RID OF MY STINK!

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

to Brenda! THANK YOU!

ps-I used 3 or 4 squirts of SG and 5 or 6 Tbsp of WS. I forgot the proper ratio, anyone care to enlighten me? Oh, and dharmama, I have a Maytag Neptune front loader, and the combo got rid of the stink!
#125 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah'sMama

ps-I used 3 or 4 squirts of SG and 5 or 6 Tbsp of WS. I forgot the proper ratio, anyone care to enlighten me? Oh, and dharmama, I have a Maytag Neptune front loader, and the combo got rid of the stink!
I don't know if it's different for frontloaders, but I think she finally settled on 1/2-1 T SG and 1/4 c WS.

I used SG and WS for the first time yesterday and found that ~10 squirts of SG = 1 T.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#126 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 04:23 PM

Thanks Trini!
#127 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini
I used SG and WS for the first time yesterday and found that ~10 squirts of SG = 1 T.
I had to chuckle, I have this mental picture of someone with a little TBSP squirting SG into it, and playing mad scientist!

any of you in the northeast, I found my washing soda at hannaford. I called the 800 number, and ALL of the stores they listed were Hannafords, so that might hopefully help someone.
#128 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini
For me, it's only 8 squirts to fill my tablespoon measure.

Getting rid of stink...did I mention that DS had what must have been rotavirus at the beginning of March, and although his dipes stank to high heaven for that week, within about 2 normal washes with WS/SG, they were absolutely back to normal, no smell, no stink, nothing. Yay.
#129 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
For me, it's only 8 squirts to fill my tablespoon measure.

Well, gee, now I'm going to have to check that again.

Maybe you're a better squirter than I am. I was just happy to be able to count squirts instead of using a measuring spoon each time.

Any tips on measuring 1/4 c of washing soda for each load without using a "measuring tool?" That would REALLY make me happy!

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#130 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 05:26 PM

I've just been pouring the WS into my hand and holding it under the running water. Seems to be about the same amount. I don't always use hot water (in my regular laundry washes) and the WS was clumping rather than dissolving in the cold or warm water, so by holding it in my hand I can feel it dissolve rather than clump, if that makes ANY sense.

Plus it gives the oddest sensation; there is a chemical reaction that causes the WS to heat up as the water hits it.

I think maybe I'm counting foam/suds as actual SG...
#131 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I've just been pouring the WS into my hand and holding it under the running water. Seems to be about the same amount. I don't always use hot water (in my regular laundry washes) and the WS was clumping rather than dissolving in the cold or warm water, so by holding it in my hand I can feel it dissolve rather than clump, if that makes ANY sense.

Plus it gives the oddest sensation; there is a chemical reaction that causes the WS to heat up as the water hits it.

I think maybe I'm counting foam/suds as actual SG...
Okay, now I want ds to poo a lot so I have some diapers to wash so I can try the WS in the hand thing.

And I think you're on to something. I didn't measure the SG foam. I let that rise above the top of the tablespoon.

(And Sarah'smama, I did feel like a bit of a mad scientist!)

#132 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 06:18 PM

LOL about the how many squirts = 1 tbsp. I did the same thing! FWIW I came up with 10 squirts as well. This system has been working great for me.

I started using only five squirts a couple weeks ago (wanting to avoid doing an extra rinse), that worked well for a while, but I noticed the last couple of loads don't smell so clean so I'm going back to 10 squirts.

For the washing soda I've been using a scoop from an empty box of biokleen I had laying around. The scoop is just slightly less than 1/4 cup (yep, used my measuring cup to figure out that one too ). I like doing it this way for two reasons: scooping seems less hastle than pouring, and I don't like the WS dust in the air when I pour it. It's pretty caustic stuff, so I don't want anyone breathing it. I just peeled back the top of the box, but I think I'm going to put it in the empty biokleen box. I don't like the top being open and it's a pain to scoop as the box gets low.

Man, I sound obsessed.
#133 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl
LOL about the how many squirts = 1 tbsp. I did the same thing! FWIW I came up with 10 squirts as well. This system has been working great for me.

I started using only five squirts a couple weeks ago (wanting to avoid doing an extra rinse), that worked well for a while, but I noticed the last couple of loads don't smell so clean so I'm going back to 10 squirts.

For the washing soda I've been using a scoop from an empty box of biokleen I had laying around. The scoop is just slightly less than 1/4 cup (yep, used my measuring cup to figure out that one too ). I like doing it this way for two reasons: scooping seems less hastle than pouring, and I don't like the WS dust in the air when I pour it. It's pretty caustic stuff, so I don't want anyone breathing it. I just peeled back the top of the box, but I think I'm going to put it in the empty biokleen box. I don't like the top being open and it's a pain to scoop as the box gets low.

Man, I sound obsessed.
No, no, not obsessed at all! I can't believe I forgot I have so many scoops at school that we use when we study measurement. Surely I have one that will be just perfect for the WS. I hate the little cardboard pour spout thingy. I will definitely look for an alternative container. (I will not rest until I find the perfect container for the WS. )

Oh, and there are lots of numbers between 5 and 10, so you might want to experiment to find the "perfect" number of squirts of SG.

#134 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, and there are lots of numbers between 5 and 10, so you might want to experiment to find the "perfect" number of squirts of SG.
Thanks for the tip!
I actually did give 6 and 7 a whirl. 8 and 9 seemed awfully close to 10. I might bust those out though.
#135 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Is anyone using washing soda/simple green in a front loader?

My DH is installing my new (first floor ) washer/dryer today!!! So...now I have to figure out how to wash my dipes and other clothes in a FL.
I'm pretty sure people talked about using the SG/WS combo in a front loader earlier on this thread (with success). Have a read through earlier posts. Congrats on the new washer & dryer!
#136 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 08:44 PM

So does the SG/ WS combo work for the holey hemp issues I seem to get? Granted, some of our hemp is on it's 7th, 8th, 9th lifetime, but some that I do have that's newer seems to be going that same route...

Can anyone comment as to how their dipes seem to be holding up after prolonged use of SG/ WS?
#137 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM

oooh now i'll have to buy the squirt bottle! I have a 2 liter bottle but oh well it'll all get used eventually. I was thinking of buying one of those tupperware tubs to put the washing soda in...I have 2 boxes coming lol and i want it to be easier to store.

I will have to look around the storage section of walmart next time i am there...

#138 of 224 Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMidwife
I'm pretty sure people talked about using the SG/WS combo in a front loader earlier on this thread (with success). Have a read through earlier posts. Congrats on the new washer & dryer!
Thanks. I did a search and found quite a few posts from FL users.
#139 of 224 Old 03-26-2006, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
So does the SG/ WS combo work for the holey hemp issues I seem to get? Granted, some of our hemp is on it's 7th, 8th, 9th lifetime, but some that I do have that's newer seems to be going that same route...

Can anyone comment as to how their dipes seem to be holding up after prolonged use of SG/ WS?

Well, our MOE and cottonbabies inserts have puffed up a bit since using the combo, and they've also softened, which I thought was odd but cool.

As for the hemp, our JoeyBunz haven't gotten any worse (though we only have two) and our old-style Rumpsters were retired (due to massive holes and ripping) before I found this idea. So I guess it isn't hurting the JB anymore, but I don't know if that's just b/c they had reached a level of holiness they were comfy with, or b/c of the ws/sg.
#140 of 224 Old 03-26-2006, 01:44 AM

i just ordered from soapsgonebuy.com and the washing soda is on SALE this month. It's 3.95 a box
#141 of 224 Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 AM

i just ordered from soapsgonebuy.com and the washing soda is on SALE this month. It's 3.95 a box
#142 of 224 Old 03-27-2006, 02:19 AM

Add me to the 'Thanks so much for this thread' list. It has really opened my eyes. I'm trying my very first SG/WS wash right now so we'll see how it goes. I've been using Tide since I started CDing (and on clothes long before that), and I've always had elastic issues. I tried changing all kinds of stuff (except the Tide because who would suspect that), but recently when my son was diagnosed (finally through a biopsy) with one of the worst cases of eczema ever seen in these parts I did a bit of research and found out that Tide is like THE harshest detergent one can buy. At this point I totally blame it for my elastic issues (you mamas don't even know how many gorgeous FM dipes have died in this household and it still kills me). And before anybody says anything, I wash every two days (religiously), dry on low, rinse, rinse, and rinse again, and just about every other thing I've read on here to keep elastic from dying. So, I'm very optimistic that the SG/WS method will do the trick for me and I won't lose too many more dipes (quite a few are well on their way out and too far gone to be saved).

Heather belly.gif,  Jesus Lovin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Noah(9) & Jonah(7), and expecting rainbow1284.gifPatricia Carrylrainbow1284.gif on 8/23/13!!

Heavenly babies: ribbonpb.gif14wks 10/28/04 and stillborn baby at 17wks 10/18/11ribbonpb.gif

#143 of 224 Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! I have a big bottle of Simple Green that I bought for general cleaning and with the idea of trying it on diapers. I am very interested in trying that method now. Though I may try the "more" detergent, too, as I've had varying stink issues. Still suds, though, so I keep thinking it's buildup, even though I tend to do a LOT of rinsing.

So, I'm wondering, on the "more detergent may be better" idea, what do you do when it leaves TONS of suds? FWIW, I've been using Tide HE liquid in our top loader (with the idea of less sudsing)...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#144 of 224 Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM

Add trader's joe detergent to the no-no's list. we have been having problems with repelling and i looked. it has optical brighteners. blah.
#145 of 224 Old 03-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Front loader users....a quick question....

Do you put the WS and the SG in your detergent dispenser or do you spray the SG in with the laundry?
#146 of 224 Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Front loader users....a quick question....

Do you put the WS and the SG in your detergent dispenser or do you spray the SG in with the laundry?
I put the WS in the detergent section, then started it, and then when the water started running, poured some SG in there.

I've been using Tide all this time, adn have always had a little bit of diaper funk. I added more Tide and that seemed to help. I tried the SG/WS on a load last week and my diapers smelled like...cloth. Just the cloth. It was pretty cool. Of course, I probably looked a little weird, with my nose pressed into a diaper...
#147 of 224 Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 AM

Quote:
I put the WS in the detergent section, then started it, and then when the water started running, poured some SG in there.
Thanks. I think my detergent tray locks when the wash starts. I'll have to double check that....might just be when I have the child lock on.
#148 of 224 Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 AM

So, I used Purex for the last two weeks and now know that it has the brighteners. Does that mean my covers and pockets are already ruined and should just be tossed or can I redeem them over time?
#149 of 224 Old 03-30-2006, 05:00 AM

You can redeem them. I used all sorts of things with brighteners, unknowingly, and was able to redeem DS's dipes.

I just stripped them and then started using the WS/SG combo (though I'm sure using any of the other OK detergents would have worked as well), and they've gotten better and better!
#150 of 224 Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 AM

for the person that was substituting baking soda for washing soda how did that turn out? i'm reluctant to wash ds's new dipes in all f&c but haven't recieved my washing soda...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page