Detergents, Free&Clears, and Purex - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 224 Old 04-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering about sensiclean...
Do any of you use that?? Does it work well??

I've been using the SG/WS and dd has a couple of sores. Who knows if it's from the washing routine though, as she has extremely toxic poop a lot of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#212 of 224 Old 04-18-2006, 07:18 PM

sensiclean is the same as sportwash, just prettier packaging.
#213 of 224 Old 04-18-2006, 08:06 PM

heeelllpppp!! cansomeone please help, my head is spinning with all this talk of detergents... here's the deal: We use Fuzzibunz with microfiber and hemp inserts, and lately, DS has developed a wicked red burn rash on the fronts of his legs where the elastic is. they are not too tight, definitelly a chemical type burn, but it takes a solid day and a half to go away... can't be good for him... I've used All F & C since he was born... whoops, guess I have been washing dipes in the wrong stuff for a while, but we've only had these fuzzi's for a few months, so i dunno... anyway, so it seems that the SG/ WS combo is causing problems for kids skin too??? i will try it, but i dont want more burns!!

can anyone help? this thread is really long, and I am going craxy trying to wade through it and try to figure it out!!
thanks!
Holly

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#214 of 224 Old 04-19-2006, 12:01 AM

I recommend (as fuzzibunz does) stripping and then trying Allen's Naturally - I've never heard of anyone getting rashy from it.

Amara
#215 of 224 Old 04-29-2006, 12:20 PM

I have been using Allen's Naturally liquid in my fl and iron high hard water for several years now. My kids are VERY sensitive but this works well for us even on my pocket and fleece covers. I have not had any buildup while using it. The lack of any problems at all, and clear bottomed kids makes Allen's affordable for me.
My diapers are staying in really good shape too. I don't see alot of wear in spite of constant use.

I have used simple green in the past for a few days when I ran out of Allen's Naturally and it seemed to work Ok. I am leary of the washing soda however.
In the past long before I found Allen's Naturally I used washing soda. My diapers seemed to wear out much quicker when I was using it and the iron in my hard water was binding to the washing soda and leaving rust colored iron stains all over the diapers. Has anyone else experienced this?
#216 of 224 Old 04-29-2006, 07:33 PM

Well, I left for the store halfway through this and bought some SG with the hopes that this would cure our problems, but now I am worried to use it because people have been talking about rashes!

We got a frontloader in November, started having problems with stink and repelling in mid-late January. We started using FBs in January and noticed the problem mostly with them. First it was the old pee smell once he peed on them and now that we've missed a few good poops in the toilet, the FBs are stinking like crazy with poop once he wets them! We used Biokleen powder first and switched to Allen's Naturally a month or so ago per the suggestions on MOE website. But, the problem still exists!

I really think that my front loader doesn't give the dipes enough water. I called MOE and she even noted that diapers need much more water than detergent to get clean. I feel frustrated too b/c I can't handle a complex laundry routine (okay, I can handle it but DH can't AND we have to worry about running our well dry with too much washing) and I can't have stinky repelling diapers! ARGH!

So, I am going to try the SG/WS in a couple of days and see how that goes...I might do every other load with Allen's to try to ward off any rash.

I hate to see so many people having issues, but it makes me feel a little less lonely b/c when I've posted about stinky/repelling diapers in the past there were a ton of variable suggestions and I felt like everyone else had it figured out but me!

Anyway, I'll come back and update.

OH! For those with FLs, how many diapers are getting washed at a time? We have only 12 FBs and 12 inserts and sometimes a few prefolds and 1 or 2 bummis covers, so it often isn't a lot...just wondered if I need to adjust the SG/WS amounts even more.

Thanks.
Aubrie

~Mama to Skye (5) and Oden (3)
visit my handmade marketplace:  averywren.wordpress.com
#217 of 224 Old 04-29-2006, 09:35 PM

Just thought I'd mention that myself and my children, we all have terrible allergies to detergent that result in head-to-toe eczema, and the only thing we can use is Seventh Generation...
#218 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Hmmm.... reading through the posts I am thinking WS/SG may not work well on my sensitive baby...

Maybe I should buy some Tide HE
#219 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 10:34 AM

For those folk's whose babies had reactions to the SG/WS . . . I read somewhere that WS is very alkaline so to balance that I do a rinse with vinegar and a second rinse with plain cold water. Maybe it's the alkalinity of the WS that causing the burns and if you already have the SG/WS, maybe you could give the vinegar and extra rinse a try and see if that helps. I've been doing SG/WS with vinegar rinse and extra rinse from the very start and I haven't seen any problems with DS skin and his diapers are doing very well--even hemp.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#220 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 10:44 AM

I am not sure...
Doing a 3-step diaper washing (cold rinse w/ water, hot wash w/ soap + TTO, hot rinse with water) routine is complicated enough as it is with 4 kids and piles of regular laundry to do every week...
I am little disilusioned at the moment because in the 3 years of CDing I had never seen a diaper rash - until now... I am just looking for new detergent I guess, so to keep my routine the same...
#221 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini
Just thought I'd mention that myself and my children, we all have terrible allergies to detergent that result in head-to-toe eczema, and the only thing we can use is Seventh Generation...
Are your diapers still soft and build-up free?
#222 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
Are your diapers still soft and build-up free?
Yep! They're in great shape. Often when I sell my dipes, whoever bought it wants to know how I keep them looking brand new. I have many different kinds (as you can see from my fluff pix), primarily El Bees, though. But, I don't have any hemp, so I don't know how it would work with hemp. I also have microfibre terry inserts for the few pockets we own.

I do a cold rinse, then a hot was with 7th Generation followed by a cold rinse. Occasionally I'll do another cold rinse. Sometimes the microfibre starts to smell bad and I'll wash them separately about once a month with a bunch of hot washes and no detergents. But my OC fitteds don't need any special treatment other than the occasional sunning!

My philosophy is to keep things simple as possible. Fortunately, up to this point anyway, it's served me well! I've used Tide (free as well as regular), BioKleen, Cheer (free & regular), All free clear, some fancy schmancy Caldrea baby detergent, and never had any luck til I used 7th Generation. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm eczema-free! woohoo!

I must also mention that I can't use the powder version - only the liquid keeps my diapers looking and feeling good.
#223 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 11:58 AM

daekini, thanks for your post, i'm going to buy 7th gen to wash the kids' clothes in- they all have eczema ranging from moderate to severe. it would be awesome to find something that would help!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#224 of 224 Old 04-30-2006, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polihaupt
Hmmm.... reading through the posts I am thinking WS/SG may not work well on my sensitive baby...

Maybe I should buy some Tide HE
I would *not* recommend Tide HE if your DC has a rash problem. My DS broke out in a bright red rash after washing his dipers in Tide HE only twice! I'd recommend trying Allen's Naturally or Charlie's Soap. I've used Allen's for years with no problems, both liquid and powder, though Allen himself told me that liquid may be better in hard water because it is less likely to build up.

7th gen has a reputation for building up on fleece and causing repelling, but is probably fine on just cotton.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page