Uh oh, false marketing on G diapers!!!??????? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 212 Old 02-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoo
This was exactly my point. I still think it is a huge difference than sposies. These are not going into the landfills. The outsides of the dipes are not any worse than using any other pul/nylon type cover. I wish they didn't have the gel beads in them too, but I really believe it might be a gateway into cloth diapering. I am a *huge* cloth diapering advocate, use only natural fibers, and I can really see people using these instead of sposies.
Also using a non-chlorine bleach is much different than using chlorine bleach. Most people use sposies, and don't even have a second thought about it. It they see these in the stores, maybe they will use these for a while, and see that cloth wouln't be so hard or such a stretch. I don't know I am just glad to see another alternative to pampers and huggies out there.
Definately some hybrid points at least.
Hee! Gateway cloth - I believe we've branded a new term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 212 Old 02-05-2006, 06:17 PM

This has been a very interestng thread to read. I just came across gdiapers the other week but I agree with most of the posts here. I will keeps my CD's.
#63 of 212 Old 02-05-2006, 06:31 PM

another thought is the wipes issue. I can't imagine going back to crappy disposable wipes (even the "thick" ones are crappy and loaded with stuff I don't like). With this system I have to separate the wipes from the diaper and so at least SOME poop/pee infested trash will still be inside the house.

I can't see the advantage to these not even as a travel diaper. I use cloth 100% at home but if we take an overnight trip for more than a few days it's going to be sposies.
#64 of 212 Old 02-05-2006, 07:19 PM

gdiapers just give a false sense of being "environmentally freindly". They failed to focus on two of the biggest problems - SAP and the resources used.

If they were competent enough to find the studies and information on why they should change the bleaching method, surely they came across information on why they shouldn't use SAP. And since its about money (and nobody wants to buy a non-absorbant sposie), they chose to seek out information saying why SAP is safe.....it shows by how hard they push that on their site. They know their diapers are full of crap (no pun intended ) but money is more important. :

And the resources used? As already stated, thats a no brainer. All the resources that go into creating this complicated bleached, glued, super abosorbant liner is surely more taxing than the resources going into harvesting cotton/hemp/etc and turning it into fabric (especially organic fabrics). In the end, one is still good for MANY more uses, while the other is stirred in the toilet for a bit with a stick, then flushed for further processing.

IMO, the only thing that makes it only slightly better than common sposies is that the waste is flushed and the materials break down faster.

I'll stick with cloth, thank you
#65 of 212 Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajo2004
gdiapers just give a false sense of being "environmentally freindly". They failed to focus on two of the biggest problems - SAP and the resources used.

If they were competent enough to find the studies and information on why they should change the bleaching method, surely they came across information on why they shouldn't use SAP. And since its about money (and nobody wants to buy a non-absorbant sposie), they chose to seek out information saying why SAP is safe.....it shows by how hard they push that on their site. They know their diapers are full of crap (no pun intended ) but money is more important. :

And the resources used? As already stated, thats a no brainer. All the resources that go into creating this complicated bleached, glued, super abosorbant liner is surely more taxing than the resources going into harvesting cotton/hemp/etc and turning it into fabric (especially organic fabrics). In the end, one is still good for MANY more uses, while the other is stirred in the toilet for a bit with a stick, then flushed for further processing.

IMO, the only thing that makes it only slightly better than common sposies is that the waste is flushed and the materials break down faster.

Wow, ITA!!! Thank you for putting it that way!

#66 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabc311
they want to to try to convert cloth users to using them!

Like that'll ever happen
Once you go cloth, you never go back

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#67 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

I think they'd be *slightly* better for a baby's skin than pampers or huggies or other mainstream diapers because they don't contain perfumes or as many chemicals. Personally, I'm VERY sensitive to perfumes. But that's kinda splitting hairs. No disposible paper product is good for skin, really.
#68 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 02:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajo2004

I totally agree with you there. I'm really shocked they are using SAP. Bleh.
#69 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I emailed them once asking if I could purchase just the covers to use with my cloth.

The response was that it would be available to do so soon....but they would make purchasing *just* the covers MORE expensive than purchasing the starter pack (2 covers + 10 inserts) because they want to to try to convert cloth users to using them!

Gosh, well...at least they were honest.
ugh! That is crappy! :

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#70 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I emailed them once asking if I could purchase just the covers to use with my cloth.

The response was that it would be available to do so soon....but they would make purchasing *just* the covers MORE expensive than purchasing the starter pack (2 covers + 10 inserts) because they want to to try to convert cloth users to using them!

Gosh, well...at least they were honest.

There's no chance of converting this cloth user . But, personally, I wouldn't want to use their covers & help support such a deceiving, misleading company.

#71 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbay
"What is SAP?

First of all, it was taken out of tampons (feminine hygiene products) due to the link with Toxic shock that killed hundreds of women, and second there is NO WAY to ever test for this awful stuff in drinking water!!!!!! And it is NOT safe or environmental in anyway shape of form!

Am I saying that this product is worse than disposables, no, I'm saying that they have some misinformation on their website, and I for one am emailing them!!

Please let me know your views on this subject!!!
You know, I always wondered why tampons were generally just plain ole cotton. No gel abosorbers in them. After reading about Rely (had polyurethane cubes to absorb) and other tampons that had SAP in them causes TSS. Sheesh, no wonder my mom didn't want me to use tampons!

I may get flamed for this, but I would rather use disposables than this flushable diaper product. Simply because if these "diapers" are meant to biodegrade, there is a better chance the SAP beads will leak through to the surface. I will have to ask DH about the complications of this on a wastewater plant...people flush all sorts of stuff (like condoms).

(I am planning on using cloth for my first baby.)
#72 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 12:14 PM

SAP does not cause TSS. If you look at the whole thread you will see what the connection between sap and tss is. I am not saying sap is good for you, or even that it is safe but the sap causing tss is just false info.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#73 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Dude I cannot get past the "special stick to break them up"
DUDE!!!!!
YUCK

Can you imagine" joshy get back here with the poopy stick" ekkkkkkkk

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#74 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindmomma
:

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
#75 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Dude I cannot get past the "special stick to break them up"
DUDE!!!!!
YUCK

I am SO with you on that one. They look interesting for road trips, but can you imagine standing in a rest stop bathroom stall with your swizzle stick, trying to break up the nasty diaper parts in the toilet while your child is running amok?

And no one can tell me how to take apart the diaper if your child has a total nasty poop all over it. It should come with a pair of rubber gloves as well as a stick.
#76 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekyboo
It should come with a pair of rubber gloves as well as a stick.

#77 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 08:11 PM

yeah the tearing/swishing part is pretty gross with a poopy diaper. as a previous regular disposable user, I had never um... interacted with my child's poop before

after a week of those I was starting to look at cloth

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#78 of 212 Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Hmm...I was just thinking about this...I wonder how many people who use these just throw the inserts away instead of flushing?

I know if I used them, I wouldn't bother with the whole flushing ritual in a public bathroom. I'd throw it away.

But then again, I wouldn't be using them.
#79 of 212 Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

*wipes off monitor*
#80 of 212 Old 02-07-2006, 06:01 AM

I just read through the G-Diapers webpage thoroughly. =I didn't find anything offensive. It's clear to me that G-diapers are better for the environment than normal disposables because only the absorbant part of the G-diaper is being disposed of, and is being properly disposed of in the sewage treatment system (or composted ), which is set up to handle human waste and cellulose, i.e. poop and tp. They've also gone out of their way to make sure the pulp for the diapers comes from sustainably managed forests. However, the G-Diaper isn't as environmentally friendly as cloth for the many reasons the prev posters have mentioned. I did think that some of the testimonials from disgruntled CD users painted cloth in a bad light, and that was unfortunate, because it perpetuates the myth that cloth is hard to do and unpleasant. Also, they could have made these diapers without SAP and using recycled paper, and that would be environmentally better, IMO, and definitely better for babies.

Bottom line: I've no desire to switch from cloth to G-Diapers, but in circumstances when I can't use cloth (like upcoming trip to UK for family funeral , I'll check out G-Diapers because the environmental impact is much less than normal disposables. I plan to get some of the inserts first, and see if they work with my Bummis SWW - if not then I'll get their covers. Even if I occasionally throw the insert in the trash because I'm not near a modern toilet, it'll still be less impact than using normal sposies...
#81 of 212 Old 02-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Didn't have time to read all the replies, so hope I'm not repeating, but these are extremely expensive diapers! Even in the big pack, the size med/med. large are over 40 cents per diaper! That's more than any of the big brand disposables. I do use disposables part time, usually Albertson's brand, and when I buy the large boxes, they cost about 12 cents each. I know they're not flushable, etc, but that's a huge difference in price! I think premium brands, such as Huggies, are around 32 cents per diaper, and even that 8-10 cent difference adds up. I think the cost alone will keep many full-time disposable users from even trying the g diapers.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#82 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
They are being sold in Whole Foods!!!!!

and a bunch of other stores on the west coast mostly......
Yep, I saw them in my Whole Foods for the first time this week.
#83 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

excuse my typos, NAK (as usual,lol)

"gateway into cloth diapering"

Well, I think it's an "escape" for those wishing they were doing cloth but don't have the info, or guts(lol, like it's that hard,lol) to actually go cloth.

These things I am imagining are actually HARDER than cloth.

With the whole rip swish stick and flush thing.

You'd have to actually pull out a poopy insert w/ your hands and find the part to rip open under the gobs of poop. Then somehow wash your hands put the poopy cover somewhere quick, one-handed and go back to the potty and swish stick and flush. UGH!

And if you have a BF'd baby you've got a poopy dipe every other diaper or so.

Then you've also got covers to wash,every other day or so.

You've got to remember to go out and buy or reorder inserts every mo or 2.

And remember to reorder new sizes of covers every few mo or so, unitl baby is in LG's.

That's more work than most cloth systems.

I know personally I have never dunked a cloth diaper, and never plan to. I touch less poop than most disposable diaper users, cuz most cloth doesn't leak it.

The thing that I'm trying to point out mostly with this thread, is why in the heck do they have to put down cloth so bad on their site??

When it's the obvious better choice on all points.

Just for a buck?

I think really they are trying to "steal" all the potential cloth users who have no idea about how easy cloth is these days.

Their facts about their wonderful gdiapers, blatently lean toward all the benefits of cloth, yet they have a dipsosable product, which I wouldn't flame anyone for using, because really their liners are smaller than diposies.

But, at the same time they play up all the benefits of what it would be like to use cloth "no elemental chlorine, perfumes, smell, garbage or guilt."

quoted from their site.

You see they take what CD users have been saying for eons, no chemicals, not trash, no rash, no leaks, etc etc,

obviously i could go on, and on, I've used CD's on all 3 of my kids and sew them for other mommies, lol!

But they alter it slightly so it fits their product to make you think you are having all the thinking done for you. They have tiny blurbsabout their "non-chemical" chemcials telling you how you can compost them (yeah right, I'd love to know ONE family that is actually doing this!), how non-toxic they are, and how you'll even have no guilt using them!!!!

So instead of fairly comparing themselves to cloth or disposables, they make these false statements about how much water cloth diapers waste, and how disposies are wasteful cuz they are a disposable product.

I personally have written to the gdiaper co to demand them to stop their direct attacks upon cloth diapers on their site.

This co is not a gateway to anything but a fight right now!

If they wanted to be CD's friend which they should be cuz you have to wash their covers, then they need to treat us w/ respect and stop that bashing, trying to compete with disposable co's have led them to do.

If they cost so much $$$, they are obviously aimed toward higher income families. No one else could afford $150-$200/mo for diapers!

These are the same families who are using cloth now. Or who may be inclined to if they had the correct info on how up to date cloth is these days. Did you know the avg family income of cloth users is $100,000/yr?
#84 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Quote:
excuse my typos, NAK (as usual,lol)

"gateway into cloth diapering"

Well, I think it's an "escape" for those wishing they were doing cloth but don't have the info, or guts(lol, like it's that hard,lol) to actually go cloth.

These things I am imagining are actually HARDER than cloth.

With the whole rip swish stick and flush thing.

You'd have to actually pull out a poopy insert w/ your hands and find the part to rip open under the gobs of poop. Then somehow wash your hands put the poopy cover somewhere quick, one-handed and go back to the potty and swish stick and flush. UGH!

And if you have a BF'd baby you've got a poopy dipe every other diaper or so.

Then you've also got covers to wash,every other day or so.

You've got to remember to go out and buy or reorder inserts every mo or 2.

And remember to reorder new sizes of covers every few mo or so, unitl baby is in LG's.

That's more work than most cloth systems.

I know personally I have never dunked a cloth diaper, and never plan to. I touch less poop than most disposable diaper users, cuz most cloth doesn't leak it.

The thing that I'm trying to point out mostly with this thread, is why in the heck do they have to put down cloth so bad on their site??

When it's the obvious better choice on all points.

Just for a buck?

I think really they are trying to "steal" all the potential cloth users who have no idea about how easy cloth is these days.

Their facts about their wonderful gdiapers, blatently lean toward all the benefits of cloth, yet they have a dipsosable product, which I wouldn't flame anyone for using, because really their liners are smaller than diposies.

But, at the same time they play up all the benefits of what it would be like to use cloth "no elemental chlorine, perfumes, smell, garbage or guilt."

quoted from their site.

You see they take what CD users have been saying for eons, no chemicals, not trash, no rash, no leaks, etc etc,

obviously i could go on, and on, I've used CD's on all 3 of my kids and sew them for other mommies, lol!

But they alter it slightly so it fits their product to make you think you are having all the thinking done for you. They have tiny blurbsabout their "non-chemical" chemcials telling you how you can compost them (yeah right, I'd love to know ONE family that is actually doing this!), how non-toxic they are, and how you'll even have no guilt using them!!!!

So instead of fairly comparing themselves to cloth or disposables, they make these false statements about how much water cloth diapers waste, and how disposies are wasteful cuz they are a disposable product.

I personally have written to the gdiaper co to demand them to stop their direct attacks upon cloth diapers on their site.

This co is not a gateway to anything but a fight right now!

If they wanted to be CD's friend which they should be cuz you have to wash their covers, then they need to treat us w/ respect and stop that bashing, trying to compete with disposable co's have led them to do.

If they cost so much $$$, they are obviously aimed toward higher income families. No one else could afford $150-$200/mo for diapers!

These are the same families who are using cloth now. Or who may be inclined to if they had the correct info on how up to date cloth is these days. Did you know the avg family income of cloth users is $150,000/yr?

What kind of reply have you received from them? I've written them too, and they just push more of their "environmentally goodness" down your throat. They look at the cloth diapering info under a microscope to see what they can find that might be "bad" (water used to wash them, electricity to run the washer &/or dryer , etc...) and just POUNCE on that, saying how awful cloth is, how "good" their product is, . I got so fed up responding to them, and their bull : .

And our income is nowhere near $150,000 .

#85 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Enviroment wise I can see that they are better for the planet since they are not ending up in landfills, but they are no better for our children. I can already see people NOT "tearing" the insert open or giving it a swirl before flushing it (view the video on the website). If the child has a severe blowout, do you see people putting their hands in it to tear open the insert. Yeah right. There are going to be some rich plumbers out there.

I'll stick with my real cloth diapers.
#86 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 08:48 PM

I will add that DH and I are considering using disposables when we are traveling for more than just a weekend. I would prefer to use the gdiapers over other disposbles since they won't end up in a landfill.
#87 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 PM

After 18 months of cloth diapering, we are gdiapers users. And I'm proud of it. I like the company and I really hope they are successful. They aren't going to convince hard core cloth users away from cloth. I think the odds are much better that they will get a few disposable converts. That isn't a bad thing IMO.

My son's pediatric urologist (from a hospital ranked in the top 10 in U.S. for pediatrics...just saying that I trust her judgement) recommended that we stop using cloth for my son. He had very sensitive skin and cloth caused problems for him. In his case, he needed the absorbant gel. It was a hard decision, as I loved cloth, but the right one for us.

I don't find them difficult to use. Composting is a great option and truly biodegradable. They received cradle to cradle environmental recognition...not an easy accomplishment.

They take getting used to (but so did cloth) and I haven't called a plumber yet. And I don't find dealing with messy diaper inserts any worse than mini-showering poopy dipes. And no, I don't have to carry a swish stick in my diaper bag.

I like them and will continue to use them. Of course they are going to market their product, just as the cloth diapering community is pretty aggressive about marketing theirs. It is just another option. Families need options to make the best choices for the particular needs of their children. Children and family circumstances are all different, and sometimes a product like this (as in my case) is just what is needed.
#88 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybearmom
And our income is nowhere near $150,000 .
Seriously?
If my family wasn't averaged in, just imagine, it'd be even higher!

Actually I think that is kind of sad. Just like I would not be surprised if the average BF baby was from a higher-income family. But that means the families who could benefit most from cloth diapers, are not using them.
#89 of 212 Old 03-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you know the avg family income of cloth users is $150,000/yr?

Where on earth did you get this fact from? Knowing the average household income for Maryland was only just above $52,000 in 2003 I can not imagine where you got your data from or that it is correct.

The one thing that is apparent on this thread is that people are fed up with data being quoted or given that has no factual basis.
#90 of 212 Old 03-05-2006, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Flushing one older-model toilet: 6 gallons water usage

In other words, as long as you wash at least 10 diapers at a time, you are SAVING WATER over using Gdiapers.
and that is of course you can get that wad of diaper down in one or two flushes. our toilet would likely take 3-4 flushes.

we never rarely rinsed diapers (shakey shakey . . . ). but when we did it only took one flush. and we only ever rinsed the poopy ones . . . . so even if we did rinse every poopy one we still would have come out ahead.

here is my painfully optomistic view: someone invests in 4 weeks worth of these and spends what $150-$200. they realize this sucks. it is nasty, cannot open baggoe without making a pooey mess. but they already have 4 covers why not invest a mere $25 and get a dozen CPF. they work in the covers and you already have teh covers and have already built a resistance to poop. when they see poop doesn't splatter off cloth they start thinking "this isn't so bad, I can do this. thy have eased into cloth by default and when the covers are outgrown they have saved enough money to get new covers (cheaper covers for heavens sake) and another dozen prefolds. a girl can hope

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page