Uh oh, false marketing on G diapers!!!??????? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 212 Old 06-22-2006, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this got bumped and buried, so I'm going to stick my neck out and say:

*gasp* I bought a pack of the g-diaper inserts today.

My son wets like crazy overnight. Every cloth solution we've tried has leaked, or I need a gas mask to change it in the morning. The only way we were able to keep him from leaking overnight was to use seventh generation disposables. Even these have been hit or miss lately.

We do cloth during the day and made our concession by using one disposable overnight. To me it seemed that the g-diapers insert in a bummi or a fuzzi bunz would be a better solution than a disposable. I was going to try Tushies, but our co-op doesn't sell them anymore and I thought I'd try the g-diapers before going out of my way to locate them at Whole Foods or elsewhere.

We thought we would compost these since we do have a composter but now with all the discussion about SAP, maybe we won't. That leaves us in the same place with just throwing the liner out, so maybe we're back at square one - except for the fact that there is no outer waterproof layer.

Anyway, just my two cents. And if anyone has any super overnight suggestions, pass 'em on. jen

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#122 of 212 Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Here's my take on it:

If you're using one disposable diaper per day anyway, a gdiaper insert in a CD makes a smaller impact on the environment than a Pampers or Huggies would- if only because there's no plastic liner. It certainly can't be any WORSE for the Earth than using a conventional disposable.

If you use the gdiaper insert in a Fuzzi Bunz then there's a whole layer of fleece between your baby's skin and the SAP crystals- minimizing the chance of the stuff getting onto his skin.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#123 of 212 Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
the lady down the street uses them. her "john" is ALWAYS backing up. because of her we have to get city sewer back ins. on our house.

they are bad i mean if they work for you great. but there web site is mostly lies!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#124 of 212 Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow to all the claims and lies.

crazy!

I never heard of these.
#125 of 212 Old 06-22-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenInMpls
And if anyone has any super overnight suggestions, pass 'em on. jen
Well, it's not popular here, but we've had near bliss with our Kushies AIOs. You have to get them SNUG, though. Each size has a huge size range, so you have to make sure that it isn't baggy.

Just an idea, though.
#126 of 212 Old 06-23-2006, 12:29 AM

Hi Mamas,

Well it sounds as though hardly any of you were dumb enough to actually BUY the gdiapers and try them yourselves, like I did. And I'll tell you, you're right...they absolutely suck. I'm happy to here all the questions being raised about whether or not they are even eco-friendly after all....my eco-friendly husband has been really disappointed that I've been so down on them....he would like to compost absolutely everything!! Anyway, I've given them maybe 5 or 6 tries. 2 of those tries ended with an overflowed toilet...imagine baby shit, toilet water and millions of those little gel-thingies covering my bathroom floor while my 1 yr old muttered "UH-OH Mama" from the doorway...sounds funny in retrospect, yet I assure you totally NOT funny. Then 2 other times, I went to change her diaper and the poop was just everywhere...on the liner, yes, as well as the little plastic snap thing and the outer shell up the front and up the back...it was a mess! I had poop all over my hands..which never happens with our cloth diapers. Then I had to soak the outer shell etc...it was gross and so much work!
My other complaint is that they seem to slightly pinch my daughter's skin...even though she's in a size that should be just barely too big for her. So I have decided to completely write them off. No more gdiapers for us!
Thanks for all the support!
#127 of 212 Old 06-23-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamasun
Hi Mamas,

Well it sounds as though hardly any of you were dumb enough to actually BUY the gdiapers and try them yourselves, like I did. And I'll tell you, you're right...they absolutely suck.
I tried eenees ages ago, because of some eejit notion that they'd be more convenient when travelling, and my assessment agrees with yours. They leaked wee and poo just as much as any other disposable did (i.e. heaps!), and the cottony ribbing on the legs (whose daft idea was that?) wicked like mad. I didn't even try to flush the inserts because no way was the plumbing on old houses going to cope with that. I later used the covers over cloth nappies, but the wicking still happened of course, and the covers were nowhere near as durable as those that cost way less.

Happily, we had packed a few cloth nappies, and when we got to our location my brother and SIL pulled out their old flats and Fluffies (cheap pull-on acrylic covers) for us, which worked much, much better.
#128 of 212 Old 06-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Banned

JenInMpls: You have probably tried this or something similar, but this is the best overnight solution I know of.

A very, very thick fitted diaper with a thick doubler and an Aristocrats Wool soaker. You can also use a Disana wool soaker. Under the nile is one of the thickest most absorbant diapers I know of that are redily available, growing greens + a growing greens doubler is reccomended by the cloth diaper company here: http://www.theclothdiapercompany.com...lt.asp?One=293

Other very thick fitted diapers are Patchwork Pixie (though you'd probalby need a doubler for a super duper wetter and they are hard to get), and Very Baby Simply Nights. You can also try a toddler prefold with a thick doubler.

I have never, ever seen a baby who can pee through a well stuffed diaper + thick wool cover. As for the gas mask thing, I've not personally noted that sposies smell any better! And wool breathes + defunkdifies smells so it should help.

But I use sposies now and then too, so I undrestand the need sometimes. I have two in diapers and, well, sometimes I run out! One of my kids is a spitter...we do 3-5 loads of laundry a day. *sigh*
#129 of 212 Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmamasun
Anyway, I've given them maybe 5 or 6 tries. 2 of those tries ended with an overflowed toilet...imagine baby shit, toilet water and millions of those little gel-thingies covering my bathroom floor while my 1 yr old muttered "UH-OH Mama" from the doorway...sounds funny in retrospect, yet I assure you totally NOT funny. Then 2 other times, I went to change her diaper and the poop was just everywhere...on the liner, yes, as well as the little plastic snap thing and the outer shell up the front and up the back...it was a mess! I had poop all over my hands..which never happens with our cloth diapers. Then I had
Oh no, thats HORRIBLE.
I could totally see that happening to me and ds standing there going "Uh Oh".
Bleh.
#130 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Hm. I don't come to this website often even though I so far from mainstream now that DH says he doesn't recognize me sometimes. But when I do I really get turned off by the tone in many of the discussions here.

I am unable to CD anymore b/c:
~We live in a condo w/one shared washer dryer in the building. It is extremely expensive, has no separate rinse cycle, does not get even our CLOTHES clean, is very, very small and leaves our clothes covered with detergent residue from other ppls washes.
~DD (age 2) has very sensitive skin and reacts to unlcean diapers AND mainstream detergents
~We currently do laundry 20 minutes away, once a week at my parents house. When we did CD, it added enough time to our laundry day that EVERY SUNDAY we were there from 11am to 9pm and still had wet things to bring home.

So we cd'd - washing at my folks house - for 6m. I loved it. It WAS great but the washing situation was straining our relationship w/my parents and exhausting us all. And Laundromats have the same detergent issue. So now we have to use sposies. I am considering gDiapers as an alternative and came here hoping for input b/c this is a DIAPERING forum, not a cloth diapering forum. I appreciated the few posters who took the time to be respectful regarding this but GEEZ people, come on! I also am able to get these cheaper than Tushies and we are severely income-restricted. I don't know if I will use gDiapers as there were some legitimate concerns posted about the safety etc but was really frustrated by the "CLOTH IS BEST, ALL ELSE IS DANGEROUS" slant. Sure, cloth is best. I know that, I DID that. I wonder how many of you would haul a weeks worth of CDs (when dd was ages 6-12m) across three towns every week because you believe in it? My point is, while you folks clearly are passionate about cloth you may be turning off some folks who would CONSIDER using it in the future by making the CD community appear to be so scornful of folks who don't. I know I would have been completely intimidated by this type of conversation as a potential CDer ... i'm glad I looked to other resources first.

I know there are some wonderful supportive mommas here but it wouldn't hurt to remember that threads about mainstream-fringe products like these may bring in folks looking for support who are really turned off by the all-or-nothing atmosphere. I wasn't looking for an embrace of these, just an honest discussion without the onesidedness. TBH if this was listed as a Cloth Diapering Forum, I wouldn't have come here at all. But clearly, that's what this has morphed into and should be labeled as such. Moderators?

Melissa
#131 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 PM

That washer dryer situation sounds awful! It isn't even getting *clothes* clean? That's just so unacceptable! Zoiks.

I do have to mention that this was a thread called "false marketing"...not a big surprise it's going to be negative about them.

And also, while it does only say "diapering", when you go to the front page you get WAHMs who make cloth diapers, there are threads to make CDs, things about dying dipes and soakers, etc...to me it seems it's a CD forum, so, to me, it's not a big surprise that non-cloth isn't really supported.

All that said, to me, the main thing about the gdiapers is that they seem to make false claims to make themselves sound better than everything. So they are starting out the "conversation" in a really negative way. If they'd be honest and say "we're better than disposables, not as great as most cloth dipes, and probably a bigger pain than you think you're signing up for", then it would probably be better, at least around here.
#132 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
"we're better than disposables, not as great as most cloth dipes, and probably a bigger pain than you think you're signing up for",

Yes, this thread was not a "gDiapers - what are they about thread?" Though I think I may have seen one of those floating around.
#133 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 PM

those diapers would not only case mass waste for the sweadge companies but also for the landfills as well! where are they trying to get off saying that its better for the enviroment than cd's. i guess they are trying to advertise to people that are less informed.
#134 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we used to take our cloth diapers to the laundromat.

for years we had to use the laundry in an apartment building.

i know people who HAND WASH them to be able to use cloth.

I am sorry you felt unwelcome, but g-diapers claim to be better for the environment with their three flushes, 90 days to compost, wash the cloth, packaging and so on is RIDICULOUS

better than some sposies...maybe!

still using cloth ...through four kids...even after having to lug gerber cheap prefolds and rubber pants IN A CAB or on A BUS to the laundromat.
#135 of 212 Old 07-23-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafeb
Hm. I don't come to this website often even though I so far from mainstream now that DH says he doesn't recognize me sometimes. But when I do I really get turned off by the tone in many of the discussions here.
mama. Sorry you don't feel welcome here. This thread is a bit more extreme than most of the board, IMO, but it is mostly a CDing board.

I don't think I'd cd either in your situation, unless I could get my own washer or find a service. Good for you tring to do what's best for your family.

IMO, g-diapers are more enviro friendly than most sposies, especially if you compost the inserts. Tushies don't use SAP, but then you'd be throwing away a bunch of plastic with each diaper.
#136 of 212 Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM

I came looking for this thread because my friend said she saw these dipes at Whole Foods and was considering trying them (she uses 7th Gen sposies). We CD (currently Fuzzi Bunz and bumGenius! working great) during the day, but use sposies at night because dd is one of those amazing supersoakers. She soaked through three inserts (1 hemp, 2 microfiber)... soaked through nighttime fitteds & wool... etc. It just got to be too much. 1 Pampers, no leaks. : But I don't like the gel, especially on my girl. I'm sad to see gDiapers use the gel, too. (I have yet to try Tushies.)

I am so irritated that Whole Foods carries these, but not cloth dipes. Why not?? I'm going to write a letter.

As for nighttime... I just bought some new fitteds (Swaddlebees organic velour, yummm!!) for nighttime and am going to try them with my Aristocrat. :
#137 of 212 Old 08-25-2006, 11:49 PM

You should! I'm irritated that my WF carries them as well. HOWEVER, I've also noticed they started carrying some cloth diapers!
#138 of 212 Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Here's a convo with the owner of gdiapers. The claims are quite dubious and he never really addresses them.
http://www.writingup.com/diaperdiva/...lieve_the_lies
#139 of 212 Old 08-26-2006, 12:28 AM

here's a shameless plug to a thread i started in activism, i don't know how many folks read that forum,
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=492072
#140 of 212 Old 08-26-2006, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
I came looking for this thread because my friend said she saw these dipes at Whole Foods and was considering trying them (she uses 7th Gen sposies). We CD (currently Fuzzi Bunz and bumGenius! working great) during the day, but use sposies at night because dd is one of those amazing supersoakers. She soaked through three inserts (1 hemp, 2 microfiber)... soaked through nighttime fitteds & wool... etc. It just got to be too much. 1 Pampers, no leaks. : But I don't like the gel, especially on my girl. I'm sad to see gDiapers use the gel, too. (I have yet to try Tushies.)

I am so irritated that Whole Foods carries these, but not cloth dipes. Why not?? I'm going to write a letter.

As for nighttime... I just bought some new fitteds (Swaddlebees organic velour, yummm!!) for nighttime and am going to try them with my Aristocrat. :
if you have a really heavy wetter I would use a doubler in the swaddlebees. They are great for day, but I find I need more absorbancy in the night...put the doubler in between the soaker in the swaddlebee, so that they still get he OV on the bum.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#141 of 212 Old 09-11-2006, 12:40 AM

Bumping.....since they are being questioned again.

~Heather, loving my DH and DS with my whole heart. Our newest addition DD July '10
#142 of 212 Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 PM

i admit that i fell for the gpants because they were so cute, and when dh complained that they weren't very easy to use and leaked, i tried to stick to my guns. we prefer fitteds, and i am ebaying my gpants. okay, i feel better admitting that i was wrong. some day i will learn not to dig in so hard when dh doesn't like something!
#143 of 212 Old 02-29-2008, 03:38 PM

I put cloth diapers in my G liner and I LOVE THEM!!! I don't do nearly as much laundry as I do with my regular clothies because they actually contain everything. I never use the flushables so sorry I can't get into that debate. However their cover are the best as far as I am concerned!
#144 of 212 Old 03-01-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparish View Post
I never use the flushables so sorry I can't get into that debate. However their cover are the best as far as I am concerned!
I thought the covers were terrible and leaked?? And the velcro at a weird angle scratched baby??

Looks like you haven't posted much on MDC, how did you hear about gdiapers?

welcome to mdc by the way :
#145 of 212 Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
They *have* redesigned the covers since this thread was started. So, they might be better than the originals. I used to work in a cloth diapering store though, and we heard both - the old covers fit better, the new covers protect better....and so on. Just like anything. :0

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#146 of 212 Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM

I don't know about their environmental impact...but I diaper mostly to save money, not to save the world, and those diapers are REALLY expensive.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#147 of 212 Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 PM

I really like the gDiaper fit and am using them with cloth prefolds. I haven't used the disposable / flushable liner yet (10 come in the starter pack) but I would in some circumstances. I am a recent convert to cloth diapers and still would revert to disposables in times of diarrhea/ travel so now I have a semi-better alternative.
#148 of 212 Old 03-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post
from gdiapers.com (emphasis added):

In just 50-150 days, you can have sodium polyacrylate veggies to feed your children! Yum!

Also, on the directions for disposal page, it says:

Yup, no water wasted there.
Ok, I am pages behind in my reading but I just got a little sick to my stomach after reading this!

:Puke

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#149 of 212 Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Let me start by saying that I respect all that you have said. And the fact theat you all have been able to use cloth is great. going all cloth I feel does save the most money If Done Right. For many moms the up front cost is too much when you live pay check to pay check, or if you have a child going to a daycare that wont use them.

for all those that use cloth ya the g's arent going to save you on time, cleanning, or money. But for those moms that use pampers, luv, and so on the gdiaper can help you feel like you are helping a little with the trash going to landfills.

I have been using the gdiapers with my DD for a year now and have had no problems. They flush well we have had very few leacks and that happens with all diapers. I can go all day with the same cover and only change the insert "flushable liner" . The g's were not my first choice but my DH is dead set against cloth. why, I doent know but out of respect to him we found the g's and they give me the savings over "regular" diapers and him the feel of regular. we only have 4 covers so we saved a lot of money over people who get 4-6 in each size.

As for the poopy ones they flush just like the wet. one flush is all we have ever had to use and most of the time some one else is going to the bathroom and we can flush 2 for one.

I hope I didnt hurt any feelings, this is only my view and what we go through. I do like gDiapers and will tell other moms to use them insted of other "trash" diapers. But I will always suport clother over them all.
#150 of 212 Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Whether they were better or worse than regular disposables was not the focus of the original post. The Gdiaper company markets these as a WATER SAVING ALTERNATIVE TO CLOTH. However, the only way they can use less water than cloth diapers is if EVERYONE composts every wet-only g-diaper....and then you still have the water trapped in the sodium polyacrylate crystals to contend with. We don't know how water can be recovered from the hydrated polymer when it goes to treatment facilities....what if it never has the opportunity to dry out and release the trapped water? Add that to the millions of gel-filled diapers trapping water in landfills....how can we get that water back?

FWIW, anyone with access to laundry facilities (and that would be anyone that washed their clothes instead of throwing them away after use) can afford to cloth diaper. Old towels, t-shirts and wool sweaters work great. http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page