Uh oh, false marketing on G diapers!!!??????? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 212 Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Yep, Danielle got to it before me. I used to work at Babyworks. YOu can also get prefolds from Tidee Didee, the local diaper service.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#182 of 212 Old 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the starter pack for a 10 hour drive we did for our camping trip this last weekend, I had to laugh about the toilet poker too. It actually came with a handy suction cup I use for my "pooper scooper" that now hangs behind my toilet.

I know that whatever crap is in the GDiapers is better than pampers, and I would much rather have other mama's who "just couldn't do cloth" turn for the Gdiapers than there normal sposie.

Are they better than cloth... NEVER! But hey some mama's out there still wipe there baby's butties with the crap thats in there Huggies "natural" wipes. Its a step in the right direction for some mama's

psst.. the Cover works really good with a prefold
#183 of 212 Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Look, I completely admire and respect everyone for cloth diapering. I was cloth diapered as a babe and planned to do the same. (And finally now am at 11 mos)

This is a familiar topic and if you are happy cloth diapering - power to you. I wish I had been able to do the same. But for those who might end up using disposables instead of cloth because they are alarmed by these GDiaper thrashing threads - here is my story.

When I gave birth last summer, we were living in a tiny studio apartment with no laundry. I used GDiapers (despite reading all the negative reviews on this board ; ) because they felt better than disposables and because I simply was not up for dragging loads of cloth diapers to the laundromat or doing them all by hand at home. I was exhausted and in a lot of pain and I'm so glad GDiapers was an option. When my babe was 10 weeks I moved across country and began an extremely competitive graduate program. I have simply been too overwhelmed to fulfill my cloth diapering ambitions ... until now. GDiapers are better for the environment than disposables - there is less waste and it's great to flush the excrement rather than having it sit around your garbage (ala sposies).

Contrary to popular posting myth, they flush just fine (at least in the old 1920's bulidings I have lived in) and I am amazed that anyone who doesn't mind CD would mind dealing with a little poop during the flush part. The flushable is essentially a lot of toilet paper. Yes, there is some chemicals to make them more absorbant but the amount of waste/chem pales in comparison to disposables. The little synthetic thing that goes between the cover and the flushable keeps the cover clean. If some poop gets on it - you rinse it and it's dry and ready in about 10 minutes. I wash the covers maybe once a week, they rarely get dirty, I just like to keep them fresh. I have started putting a pre-fold in the cover instead of the flushable - works great.

Bottom line - cloth diapering wins, hands down but GDiapers are far far far better than disposables.

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#184 of 212 Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 AM

hi everyone! i'm new here. just stumbled across one day while shopping for my gDiapers online. although i respect everyone for cloth diapering in favor of the enviroment and our children, i have to say that not everything that is posted here about gDiapers is true.

i read here that people think that cloth diapering is waaaayyyy better for the enviroment than gDiapers. i don't think thats true. i believe it is slightly better. it will take the same amount of water to wash the gDiaper and inserts than it would to wash cloth diapers.

a little trick that i have is that i wash the inserts and diapers with my baby's laundry. i know your thinking how can i put it in there with all that poop?! well i flush the poop down the toilet and wipe down the cloth insert with the wipe i used to clean the baby. not so that its squeaky clean but so its not heavily soiled. and while i'm on the go i just toss everything into a eco-friendly biodegradable diaper sack that goes right in the trash. everything will decompose in a few months. so eventhough gDiapers do go in the trash and down the toilet, it is made to decompose safely into the earth. i tried cloth diapering the old fashioned way and let me tell you from my experience...gDiapers are soo much better.:
#185 of 212 Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 AM
Administrator

http://www.gdiapers.com/gdiapers101/faqs/what-is-sap

SAP does not biodegrade.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#186 of 212 Old 07-24-2008, 02:43 PM

(Dodging sticks and stones before I even write this)...

Personally, I am not in a position to use cloth diapers. It is something that I have wanted to at least try, but at the moment, am unable to commit to. Perhaps once we move, I can reconsider.

When I came across the idea of gDiapers, I was ecstatic! I think it is a better alternative than fully using plastic, COMPLETELY non-degradable disposables. Thank you to LittleGriff for your post (as that's the same position I'm in). Good to read that someone else is taking the stance that I am. No, I won't be super Mom and using the CDs, but I will be contributing somewhat to bettering the environment using gDiapers.

I find it odd that everyone is so adamant against them. Is it not a better option than going full on plastics? You have to at least acknowledge that fact, no?
#187 of 212 Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

most of us have acknowledged that they are better the traditional sposies. This thread is about the marketing and what we feel are false claims. This isn't about who is a better mom for which diaper they use.

#188 of 212 Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 PM

I am so glad to see this thread! I have been telling people this for months. I had to hunt on their web site to find the info about the gel, but once I found it, I knew I couldn't support that product. I mean, good for them that you can reuse the cover, but that's the only advantage over disposables!
#189 of 212 Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rory View Post
I am so glad to see this thread! I have been telling people this for months. I had to hunt on their web site to find the info about the gel, but once I found it, I knew I couldn't support that product. I mean, good for them that you can reuse the cover, but that's the only advantage over disposables!
Is it the only advantage?

Lets put the gel thing aside because apparently there are differing opinions.

But what i was thinking was this, YES you can reuse the cover, YES you still have to deal with a little poo. BUT...You could compost (no i wouldn't use it in food gardening), flush (which a lot of people have problems with because of water usage, which is fine)BUT you could also just toss them, YES they end up in a landfill but they also are biodegradable and they do so in like 50 days or whatever, so my question is....Isn't even just tossing them better for the environment because you don't have plastic diapers sitting in a landfill for 500 years?

Just a thought, and would love to hear other opinions regarding it.
#190 of 212 Old 09-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Seems like a way to exploit green people. it's crazy that you will see so-called cloth diapers like gdiapers in parenting magazine articles on CD but not any of the CDs us real parents use. They make cloth diapering out to be something so terribly difficult and come up with this "easy" way of doing it that turns out to be about as bad as disposables!
#191 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
most of us have acknowledged that they are better the traditional sposies. This thread is about the marketing and what we feel are false claims. This isn't about who is a better mom for which diaper they use.
I'm clearly the BEST mom because MY son's diapers have pictures of little cars on them. So there.
#192 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 AM

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around how Gdiapers are green.

Reusable cover- green.

Poop gets put in the toilet where it should be. BTW- if you read a package of disposables it says you are supposed to shake the poo into the toilet.

Ummmmm, yeah, that's it.

The insert is BLEACHED wood pulp- bad.

Then you have the SAP. The sodium polyacrylate- SAP- is most likely sourced directly from China- That fact alone makes me uneasy about the polymer. I did look up a manufacturer's site (product- LiquiBlock by Emerging Technologies Inc. I have no idea if they are related to diapers at all) of SAP and they do list the polymer as being a respiratory, eye, and skin irritant. The manufacturer also recommends an 8 hr exposure limit of 0.05 mg/m3- a very small amount. And think of how long and often babies are exposed to it

Tossing them in the compost is not an option (Only 10% if that is biodegradable) and poop in the soil and ground water is unsanitary if you eat meat.

Putting them in the trash even in a degradable trash liner does no good either- it all goes into a land fill where nothing has a chance to degrade. If and only if everyone used biodegradable trash liners and everyone recycled then they would degrade but what about the poo? Not everyone shakes the poo out and not everyone is a vegetarian.

I could see maybe using these on vacations/camping but not as a green alternative to disposables for everyday use.

Cloth diapering is not that hard, it's not like what it used to be in the old days. I used to take dirty dipes down to the landromat and if they weren't completely dry they got hung up out on the line or inside when it was winter time

And I also agree with azariahsmom, there needs to be more marketing for the awsome, easy to use cloth diaper options out there. There are so many!!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#193 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
I'm clearly the BEST mom because MY son's diapers have pictures of little cars on them. So there.
*snort*

#194 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl View Post
What's up with Whole Foods selling gdiapers but not any real cds? Just pfs and bummis would be nice. Next time I'm at wf I'm going to look at them. Their covers look cute and it says on the website you can use them with cds. I know I'll be tempted but i don't really want to support this company, I can't imagine they'll be succesful anyway.
I've never seen g-diapers at my whole foods, only bum genius. That's actually where I got my first cloth diaper. And actually I got the start up kit of g-diapers at wegmans. I wasn't going to use the inserts, just flat-folds or prefolds inside. Anyway, I'm not happy with them. They leak all the time, so I end up having to wash the cover all the time anyway. I like my AIO's better.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#195 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Our Target has BumGenius now too.

#196 of 212 Old 09-08-2008, 10:42 AM

I think g-diapers is just another big company taking advantage of the "green" demographic. They aren't honest in their advertising. They make it out like they are truly an ecological product, and its insulting. They are basically just like every other disposable diaper, just without the sticky plastic tabs in the front. The little cloth cover is cool, but its just there to hold on the disposable diaper "insert" that doesn't have any tabs on it. So now not only are we using the resources and chemicals of traditional sposies, but we are also using water and energy to wash the cloth covers! Its like the worst of both worlds!!
#197 of 212 Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 AM

Ok. I use g diapers, and they really aren't that bad. Anything can be bad for the environment if you misuse it. The website gives several options other than flushing the pads. You can compost, or even throw them away and the degrade in a fraction of the time that disposables do. I chose not to use cloth diapers because of the amount of washing required. I use g diapers because they work rather well. I don't flush the liners every time my little guy wets one. I have a bin next to the toilet that we fill with the wet ones (the poopy ones get flushed right away), and every time my husband or I use the toilet, we flush a liner with our own flush. Yes, you have to rip them open, but it isn't as gross as it sounds. There are tabs at the corners that don't get wet or poopy. They flush fine as long as you follow their directions in flushing. We have had only two get backed up, and it is because we didn't rip one open, and because I tried to flush three (oops).

The gel on the inside is the only downer. It does almost dissolve completely in the toilet when ripped open and it is made mostly of the tree pulp. But, I am aware of the controversial issues regarding the gel. I must say, they are better than disposables, even the environmental ones. I also know that I use much much less water than a cloth diaper user. You only have to wash the inner liners when they get poopy (g diapers suggests washing then in the sink, but I throw them in the machine with the outer liners). And the cloth outer liners when they get wet or poopy, which is rare. I have 8 cloth outer liners and 12 inner liners, and I wash them all about once to twice a week.

I really thought we were all open-minded here. I am disappointed by the members that are knocking these before they have ever tried them. There are down sides to ALL diapering systems. I think the way I use g diapers, they are equally as green and "non green" as cloth diapers.

BTW, I have a degree in Environmental Studies, and have taught about environmental issues for 10 years. I
#198 of 212 Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM

G- Diapers make me wanna hurl.

Greenwashing at its finest.

Same SPA's and sposies and use far more water in manufacturing.

I have been singing the no G's blues for a while now. yuck, yuck, yuck.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#199 of 212 Old 09-22-2008, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I looked into them. For me it wasn't worth it because of the bad ratings, and because I didn't have a whole lot of a start up cost so prefolds and flats are my CD of choice.

I wouldn't knock a gdiaper user however. If it works for them, okie dokie. I think it's a move in the right direction at the very least. Some people enjoy, or even need, the added convience for various reasons. A big pro that was touted on their website was that you could use the covers themselves multiple times before washing because the liners were supposed to work so well. (I later read various reviews that disputed that). For someone in my position of having no washer and dryer nearby this could come in very handy.

I agree that they shouldn't falsely advertise, but I also thing this is the case for over ninety nine percent of manufacturers and advertisers. For someone that cannot or does not want to invest completely in a cloth diaper use, I could see the appeal in those while at the same time trying to do better for the environment.
#200 of 212 Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, and they say you can "compost" them..."but don't compost poopy diapers". Ummmm--we wouldn't be using the compost for vegtables, duh.

I wish I could cd--but I don't have running water and I am not into doing my laundry every single freakin' week at the overpriced local laundromat. So I will be doing g's--but I don't have a toilet. Yay compost!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#201 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm with you, Lizzy (after spending too much time on line reading this entire discussion!)

1) G dipes are better than disposables (which should be illegal) because they biodegrade (and even if the gels don't decompose, at least we know that gels are already in the ground b/c people use potting soil).
2) It cracks me up to read people complaining about poop on a natural mothering site, come on, it's one of the most biodegradable, organic, natural things on earth. So it stinks, well wash your hands (without anti-bacterial, if your complaining about toxins in our water).
3) I agree with happyhats, g-dipes are a step in the right direction. I don't know how they are made, but the harm to our environment probably happens here w/ g-dipes, not after they are used.
4) I'm afraid I don't fully understand why water used to wash or flush is actually wasted. Isn't practically all "used" water, recycled?
5) I use cloth and I love it, but we all know they aren't the most convenient alternative. Our great grandmothers on wagon trains used to use cloth more than once, squeeze out the urine, and dry them. Scrape off the poop and . . . sound gross? Well, we waste so many resources, and put so many toxins into our environment (even us cloth using moms) that we're "conveniencing" ourselves out of a healthy planet.
#202 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

oops accidentally posted twice!
#203 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifluffedthree View Post
G- Diapers make me wanna hurl.

Greenwashing at its finest.

Same SPA's and sposies and use far more water in manufacturing.

I have been singing the no G's blues for a while now. yuck, yuck, yuck.

:

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#204 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM

My only thing about the poop issue is that if you eat meat, poop is not healthy for the soil. ESPECIALLY with all of the hormones, anti-biotics, pesticides in the animals food, etc. You are what you eat and what your grandmother ate. If you are vegetarian go ahead and poo in your garden, no harm in that.

#205 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Poop is meant for the sewage system. That's a pretty well known fact that most environmentalists I know agree on. Washing your hands is one thing, but contaminating your ground water, and thus, food supplies is another. There is a serious health hazard to transmitting diseases through poop. Just because everyone does it doesn't make it ok.
#206 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 PM

Right. If you compost your personal waste, you have to do it properly.

see here

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#207 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
Right. If you compost your personal waste, you have to do it properly.

see here
Indeed. There is a really specific way you have to do it so that you don't contiminate groundwater, ect. I think it involves sawdust?

I should add that doing your own composting of your waste (assuming you know you have no contagious diseases) would be the only exception to "poop goes in the sewer" I actually had forgotten about that option. I did see something about it on this episode of 30 days called "off the grid."
#208 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Yes, a sawdust toilet...And we have plenty of sawdust lying around our house, so I am in the process of convincing dp that we need one -- we are doing potty learning with our 2 yr old and we have an outhouse--which is *not* an option at -40!

But on gDiapers, I am a little worried about the gel pellets...*Those* aren't supposed to go in your compost, I'm pretty sure.

#209 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post
But on gDiapers, I am a little worried about the gel pellets...*Those* aren't supposed to go in your compost, I'm pretty sure.

Right, only about 10% of SAP(gel pellets) is compostable. That's another one of my main concerns about the compost option on gDiapers. In another post of mine on the page before this I mentioned that and talked a little about SAP.

#210 of 212 Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

The thing that concerns me the most about composting g diapers is like, how many could you realistically compost? Kids dirty, say, between 6 and 10 a day, at least. Wouldn't that overwhelm your compost? Even if you just composted them sometimes? Especially considering how long they take to break down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page