Mothering Forum banner

Uh oh, false marketing on G diapers!!!???????

34K views 211 replies 100 participants last post by  Ifluffedthree 
#1 ·
What the HECK!!!!??????!!!!

Have you heard of these little contraptions??????

Some new fancy little thing on the market, that got it's way into super markets BEFORE any of our Beloved fancy snap and velcro cloth diapers have.

They tout themselves as being good for the environment, hence the name gdiapers, as in green-diapers???

They have a cloth washable outer, good.
Then they have this little liner that pops in the elastic outer like an absorbent pad, ok.

So you put this diaper on baby, they take a doo doo or whatever, you then proceed to Flush the entire pad down your toilet?????? HUH?

Yes, it all gets flushed, wood pulp, stay dry liner, and all.

Well then they have a bunch of non-sense on their website about cloth diapers using too much water so they can sell their product, here, I'll qute it for you;

"A diaper service that uses a ton of water and chemicals to clean the diapers!"
"how easy they are on the environment compared to other types of diapers (including cloth)."

That is just a tiny sample about what they are infering, and flat out saying against cloth diapers.

and if that wasn't bad enough, wait till you hear this.......

Not only does that little pad contain bleached wood pulp, and a stay dry liner made of petroleum products, but it also has those awful absorbent GELS!!!!!

That's right they expect you to believe that these are BETTER THAN CLOTH DIAPERS!!!

Read this quote about the Gel (polysodiumacrylate)

"What is SAP?
SAP stands for super absorber. A.K.A. sodium polyacrylate. SAP are the small crystals mixed with soft, fluffed wood pulp that make up the contents of the flushable. It is an amazing material, able to absorb up to 100 times it's weight in water.

SAP is proven to be safe and effective by over 400 studies, which is why we have chosen to use it. It is found in most disposable diapers and feminine hygiene products, safe for humans and harmless to the environment."

NOT TRUE!!!!
:

These "crystals" are NOT SAFE!

First of all, it was taken out of tampons (feminine hygiene products) due to the link with Toxic shock that killed hundreds of women, and second there is NO WAY to ever test for this awful stuff in drinking water!!!!!! And it is NOT safe or environmental in anyway shape of form!

Am I saying that this product is worse than disposables, no, I'm saying that they have some misinformation on their website, and I for one am emailing them!!

Please let me know your views on this subject!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
There have been several threads about them in the past few months.
I am in complete agreement with you, as I am sure most of the mamas here are also. I can't believe the stuff people will do in the name of the "environment" that are blatant lies, just to make $$$....grrrr.....
:

#7 ·
I know, right!!!!?????!!

No mention of having to wash the outer cover part, and how often and how much water THAT uses, lol!!!

and the having to rip the side open to shake out the inside pad part, what if that thing is poopy????

I'm sorry, but I would not go thru all that just to avoid cloth, lol!

#8 ·
Oh, there was a "discussion" about this on another board I went to. One mom was so hyped up about trying them, but she came back & said they were a major PITA, LOL. She couldn't handle the "trouble" of putting the insert into the cover, and was grossed out when poop got on the cover
. And her child had the gel beads all over herself, which NEVER happened with sposies she said.

It is utterly ridiculous the products people invent to avoid cloth. And since you flush the stuff, it still gets into the groundwater, just by a different mean.

Here's a quote from the website:

"gDiapers is also about children. We are a flushable diaper company, after all. We love our kids, our employee's kids and of course, your kids. We love the planet too, which is why we started a company that is sensitive to the Earth. Because that's what all our children will inherit."

What a bunch of bull!

#9 ·
Yep - I work at a cloth diapering store and we have had about 5 people call and come in saying they used them and they either didn't work, or they didn't flush.

I love how people keep saying that they are so happy they aren't using disposables while using gdiapers....um, hello, how is flushing it down the toilet NOT disposable...I mean, I call toilet paper disposable and that gets flushed???

#10 ·
What's up with Whole Foods selling gdiapers but not any real cds?
Just pfs and bummis would be nice. Next time I'm at wf I'm going to look at them. Their covers look cute and it says on the website you can use them with cds. I know I'll be tempted but i don't really want to support this company, I can't imagine they'll be succesful anyway.

#11 ·
Yuck!!! Those sound really gross, I would never want to put those on my kids. Plus how could they be safe to flush? You don't flush disposables or pads down the toilet. I bet they would clog the pipes in my old house in no time flat.

Jessie

#14 ·
from gdiapers.com (emphasis added):

Quote:
gDiapers have no elemental chlorine, no perfumes, no smell, no garbage and no guilt. In fact, flushables are so gentle on the Earth you can even garden compost the wet ones in one compost cycle, approximately 50 - 150 days. Just think of the standing ovation you'll get from the planet.

When you compost wet flushables, all of those good nutrients are recycled and available when the compost is ready, and can even replace expensive commercial fertilizer. The super absorber also works wonders by retaining moisture in the soil so it can be released gradually into your garden.
In just 50-150 days, you can have sodium polyacrylate veggies to feed your children! Yum!

Also, on the directions for disposal page, it says:

Quote:
Use two flushes. First the inner core, then the outer material.
Yup, no water wasted there.

#17 ·
Does anyone have any links to studies about this gel? I've been searching pub med, and I only found one study that shows it is safe for chicks to ingest. I'd love to see some original research on the subject.

I also thought that toxic shock syndrome was caused by staphylococcus aureus, which would multiply in menstrual flow, so if you didn't change your tampons enough you were at a higher risk of developing this. I'd love to be further educated on the subject since I am having a hard time finding the research that I'm looking for (always trying to justify cloth to dh, you know
).

#18 ·
Yeah, I agree too, the things are evil. (though I do like the 'covers' I'm sure a prefold would fit quite nicely in them)

So about the water... If I do one load of diaper laundry every 3-4 days and get approximately 36 diapers clean each load how does that compare to 72 flushes of my toilet (36 diapers at 2 flushes each) that would be 3 washers full of water for my cold prewash, hot wash and warm rinse.

I'm going to say that the washing machine wins hands down on that one. I know 72 flushes of my toilet is more than 3 fillings of my washer tub.

The only thing gdiapers have over regular disposables is that the human waste in/on them goes through municipal sewer treatment.

#19 ·
What I don't understand is how people fall for this stuff????!!!!!

I mean, think about it? How is flushing saving water?
How is using wood pulp(think TREES) good for the environment?
How are CHEMICALS good for you????
How can people be so dense?

Ok, I'm over my proud soapbox rant now

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I also thought that toxic shock syndrome was caused by staphylococcus aureus, which would multiply in menstrual flow, so if you didn't change your tampons enough you were at a higher risk of developing this. I'd love to be further educated on the subject since I am having a hard time finding the research that I'm looking for (always trying to justify cloth to dh, you know
).
You are correct. TSS is caused by S. aureus. Sodium polyacrylate was voluntarily removed from tampons because of concerns about the increase in incidence of TSS. However, there are no studies that have actually found a cause and effect relationship between the two. S. aureus is present in the vagina already. The research suggests a few things. One being that the sodium polyacrylate allowed women to leave the tampons in too long. Also that when they were left in so long, they expanded to the point that they were actually leaving microscopic tears in the vaginal wall which allowed the S. aureus to enter the blood stream. So it isn't that the sodium polyacrylate actually caused TSS, it is that it made the conditions very, very favorable for the bacteria to multiply and then infect the body.

That being said, there have been no long-term studies studying its use in diapers and I wouldn't let it get near my baby's bum!!!

#22 ·
How disappointing that something marketed as environmentally friendly, and a clever concept, contains bleached wood pulp and sodium polyacrylate. Now if they had made the flushable liner out of unbleached recycled paper, that would be pretty environmentally friendly, IMO, because it would be stimulating the market for recycled products. And then it would be safe to compost (pee dipes of course)...

Quote:
I mean, think about it? How is flushing saving water?
Uh, yeah, I think about this everytime I rinse and flush one of my toddler's poops too...

But yeah, clearly the G-dipes are not a very environmentally friendly product... and they would surely clog the pipes of any of the old houses I've lived in!

#23 ·
Tell me about it!Our pipes get clogged when our toilet eats wipes or doublers
And it has quite an appetite for them

I just don't see how using wood pulp for a diaper screams"environmentally friendly" I mean, deforesting for the point of using and recycling? On purpose? When a much more reasonable response would be to use washable cloth?

#24 ·
Well, there is a BIG difference when you are CLAIMING something and ACTUALLY DOING IT!!

And to think I actually was looking into them. But I thought the same thing about flushing my toilet. Being that I have a 30+ year old house.. I don't need another excuse for a clogged toilet!
:

"If you can't walk the walk, then don't talk the talk" as my grandfather always said!!

#25 ·
Experience that I had with a crapy plastic cover by Gerber
when my baby was just born that I bought whether in Walmart or Target (can't remember where exactly) made me to give up on cloth diapering for 2 months!

I was hoping to use prefolds that I bought when I was pregnant and I was told that I need to buy a cover in order to use them. Well, having no clue about cloth diapers and everything that has to do with it, I, of course, went to a nearest store and bought the "cover"
: ! That was the only cover available there and of course I assumed that this is just the way all covers are! How little did I know that time! Now I can not imagine anybody using this horrible horrible horrible piece of plastic for their baby's gentle butt
!

Anyway, it just makes me mad that this crap that made it to the huge corporation while tons of wonderful diapers did not, made me using disposables (I used "Seventh Generation" and "Tushies") with my baby for his first 2 months of life
! Yuck! Good thing that I met people who opened my eyes on this wonderful thing - cloth diapering and I just LOVE it!

I hope that one day I have another baby and then I can do it right from the get-go! So only the softest organic cotton and velour will touch my baby's silky skin and only nice soft organic wool will be used as a wonderful breathable cover
!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by odenata
from gdiapers.com (emphasis added):

In just 50-150 days, you can have sodium polyacrylate veggies to feed your children! Yum!

:puke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.