Mothering Forum banner

Questions about going away w/CDs...

406 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Llyra 
#1 ·
OK, it's time for our first overnight trip with CDs! We leave tomorrow AM and come back Monday, so 2 nights away. I was thinking about just bringing sposies, but then I had T in a sposie last night and it leaked pee all over my bed.
Then while I was cleaning that up, I had her in another sposie (trying to be quick) and she had a poop blowout! That has SO been a thing of the past since we've been in cloth. So NO MORE SPOSIES! Sheesh!

So I will plan to wash CDs at least once at my parents' house. How many should I bring? What do I put them in since obviously my wetbag won't be big enough? And how do I time it so that I'm not leaving a lot of dirty dipes here, since I won't have time to do a lot of laundry right before I leave? Would it be OK if I left a few in a dry pail for that amount of time, or should I put them in the washer for a cold wash right before I go? (I'm concerned about mildew.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

See less See more
#2 ·
hi! we travel pretty frequently and always take our cloth. we jsut make sure we have access to a washer at some point during the trip. here's what i do...
i pack a bunch of cloth in a small duffel bag along with our wipes, then i pack enough in a big diaper bag for the trip itself. i usually end up taking way too many, but i'd rather have to many than not enough...
i have a couple of nylon bags from walmart that i use as a wetbag while we are there...sometimes have to double them up to avoid wicking. while we are traveling i just use my smaller wetbag from the diaper bag and empty it into the nylon bag as i need to.
i also do diapers as late as i can the night before we leave so i don't have a diaper pail full of diapers sitting around. if it's going to be a long trip i do a cold rinse on any i have left and maybe leave them in the washer just covered with cold water to avoid mildew/mild/stink. hope this helps... good luck and have a safe trip...

#3 ·
:

I'm interested in what other's do as well. We are leaving tomorrow am for a weekend trip and I am planning on bringing my cloth.

I think I'm going to do a load of diapers this evening and then the last one or two ds wears tonight will go with us in the wet bag. I plan on washing once while were gone as well so I'm just gonna bring the dirty one with us. you could always run a rinse cycle in your wash and leave it but since you are washing on your trip, I'd just take it with you. I'm not sure my wetbag is big enough either, i might just use a trash bag.

We're staying at a hotel so I'll have to pay to wash and dry them but it still ends up cheaper than a pack of sposies, and like you're saying, they leak!!! I don't want to deal with that.

#4 ·
While packing, I'm always doing a huge load of diaper laundry.

I will leave one or two wet diapers (even a dirty one if it happens) in our DRY pail. We've never been gone longer than a week and it's been fine. If we were going for longer, I might not leave that. Don't know what I'd do with it, though!

I bring both of our diaper pail liners. One holds the clean dipes. The other holds the wet ones. Once the clean bag gets low in supplies and the other bag starts getting full, I might use both bags (on inside the other).

When I visited my brother, we washed in the middle of the week. Since I washed, it turned out I'd brought twice as many diapers as I needed! I wasn't thinking.

I learned from that experience to *bring my own detergent*. Or at least stop at the store to buy your own brand. All my brother has is Tide, and I'm allergic to it, along with it smelling FOUL to me. So I had stinky dipes for Eamon, and I'm just glad his skin isn't as sensitive as mine.

Travelling with cloth has gone great for us. I LOVE changing him at the airport, with all those women passing by the changing table, wondering what on earth I'm putting on him. I always use my bright yellow Green Fish Blue Fish Dr. Seuss Bumkin for those moments, or my crazy blue swirl Bumkin.
Those catch the eye, and it makes people look. Love it.

#5 ·
ditto, we've traveled a bunch with our cd's. we just use a trash bag to hold dirties until we can wash since our wetbags aren't big enough. we just leave whatever dirties in our dry pail at home and haven't had a problem.
don't go overboard -- the first time we traveled I literally took every dipe we owned and it was way too many (not to mention heavy! lol).
I also use our cutest/most eye catching dipes in the airport -- I love for people to ask about them!
have a good trip!

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand
I always take my cloth when we travel. I just put the dirty ones in a trash bag and bring it home to wash. No fuss

:

As far as leaving wet/dirty dipes behind, the longest I ever left dipes in the dry pail was 5 days, when my washer was broken. It was no big deal, but they did need an extra hot wash when we did wash them, because there was a musty smell. Also, the dirty ones did stain and needed sunning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.