Hemp Stink?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know it's posted here all the time, but tday I cant seem to find a thread that will help me out. I don't use a lot of hemp, but the stuff I have sure smells!!! Any Advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The first thing to do is strip strip strip. I think hemp can really hold onto detergent like you wouldn't believe.

That may or may not work, but it's the first thing to try. I periodically deal with hemp stink, and usually have to resort to a bit of bleach. It hasn't hurt my hemp any to do this. I just have to rinse it out REALLY well afterwards!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 02-23-2006, 03:52 AM

We get occasional hemp stink, but not from buildup. Something about the ph in our water/ph in hemp/ph in urine... I have no idea. All I know is that there is no buildup yet the hemp stinks to high heaven sometimes when DD pees.

I used bleach occasionally at first, and it was VERY effective! But, I noticed the hemp in some of my AIOs wearing out. I wasn't sure if it was the bleach or not but I stopped using it anyway. Now I occassionally use 1/3 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup vinegar in my cold soak and it works wonders. No more hemp stink!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 AM

I also did a tiny amount of bleach, and it worked wonders. I didn't do it to any aios or covers... just prefolds and hemp doublers.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

User Tag List