Are CPF bulky under clothing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to figure out if I can do this Cloth Diaper thing. Are CPF very bulky? I'm thinking of getting either prowraps or Dappi nylon pull- on pants for daytime and maybe wool at night. I'm trying to do this as frugally as possible. Any tips for reducing bulk? TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 11:12 PM

They will definetly be BULKIER than a sposie diaper, but with say a dappi pull-on, it's not going to super bulky. I used premium prefolds and wool covers under regular clothing for a long time and it wasn't that bulky. I also found that the jellyroll fold was the trimmest for us.
#3 of 13 Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 PM

they are not too bad. definitely bulkier than sposies or AIOs but not bad at all. if you want something trim you can try converting ur prefolds into prefitteds. those (IMO) are less bulky than regular prefolds.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#4 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 01:29 AM

We use CPFs all the time. They are a bit bulkier than sposies but I also use a snappi and that helps alot. I have not had any problems getting DD into her britches so far!
#5 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 02:20 AM

We use CPFs with Snappis and ME Airflow covers. They are bulkier than disposables, but I don't find it any more bulkier than other fitteds and covers.

Would Hemp prefolds be trimmer? They're more absorbant so maybe there aren't as many layers? I think they're more expensive than just plain cotton though.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#6 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 02:36 AM

We use CPF's all the time under clothing - some brands accomodate the bulk more than others. I have recently become a huge fan of the wool, so now they fit under our wooly pants.
#7 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM

Snappied prefolds are much less bulky than trifolded prefolds. Any cloth diaper is going to be bulkier than a gel sposie imo. But to me this doesn't matter.
#8 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 07:42 PM

I'm new to cloth diapering, but the first thing I tried was premium prefolds under BSWW. Perhaps the difference was simply in my not using a snappi or pins, but to me, they were *extremely* bulky. My 6 month old son, in disposables, was wearing 3-6 month bottoms for clothing. In the prefold + BSWW, I absolutely could not fit anything smaller than 6-9 months on him. And even those looked pretty taut and too small in the bum to accomodate the diaper.

FuzziBunz have been a much happier fit for us. I've seen some people make comments about the bulk, but to me it's barely noticeable compared to the prefolds.

Eventually I do plan to get some snappis, and see if that helps make things more trim, but for now the prefolds and covers in our house are just for using when the FB's are all dirty.

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#9 of 13 Old 02-26-2006, 10:23 PM

I find cpfs and a good aplix cover to be less bulky than a pocket diaper and an aio or fitted w/ a cover.. def not as trim as a sposie but we can still fit her jeans over the cpf/cover

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#10 of 13 Old 02-27-2006, 01:29 AM

I haven't been CDing for all that long, but I remember that when I very first started I was dismayed that none of DDs pants seemed to fit anymore with the CPFs because they were so bulky. It turned out that I just wasn't a very good folder yet. Within a week (probably much less, actually) I got the hang of it and everything fit so much better.
#11 of 13 Old 02-27-2006, 02:39 AM

I too think cpfs are pretty trim when folded well and secured with either pins or a snappi. They're a lot more bulky if you just trifold and lay them in a wrap.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#12 of 13 Old 02-27-2006, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think part of it will depend on the size of prefold, but since your child is getting up there in size, it probably wouldn't be too bad. When my DS was 3 months old and 7 lbs (preemie), he was peeing out of an infant prefold, but the regular size was WAY WAY WAY too big for him. Now at toddler age, he can wear a regular size prefold no problem (and it holds plenty), and it's quite trim. I use the bikini twist. It's much trimmer for him than a newspaper fold was (I fold excess down in the front, of course, since he's a boy... folding down in the back might make it trimmer?).

Another frugal option, if you have a sewing machine, is to come on over to the Diaper Making forum and learn to make them from household fabrics, thrift store finds, etc.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#13 of 13 Old 02-27-2006, 09:00 PM

IMO Prefolds are really trim under clothes.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page