Oh Boy! Would you pay this? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we should just lock this thread now and save everyone the stress... its friday, lets enjoy the weekend.

Hey its snowing parts of las vegas! :
#122 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oetien
You know, poor people always get riled up about everything that rich people do. It's normal!

WOW Well thats ignorant.

(I wish I hadn't writen that. Name calling is never attractive. O well.)
#123 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum
WOW Well thats ignorant.
#124 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Ok, so it is now obvious that not everyone on this board will pay big bucks for one diaper. That point is clear as a bell.

New analogy, say this was the bfing board and I posted this thread:

title: "Oh boy! Would you do this in public?

text: This is amazing! I can not believe someone would actually nurse without a blanket in public, easy as it is! I'd never do that to myself lol."

Now, I'm not "judging" that person, right? However, I do think that those who chose to not use a blanket in public might get their feelings hurt or "panties in a bunch" over that thread.
#125 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 PM

me reading this thread:

: :yawning: :yawning: :yawning:
#126 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
it is very nice but i can hardly pay for reg CD must less 155.00 my god that is alot of money

however good for the mama who can i wish i could

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#127 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Van
Ok, so it is now obvious that not everyone on this board will pay big bucks for one diaper. That point is clear as a bell.

New analogy, say this was the bfing board and I posted this thread:

title: "Oh boy! Would you do this in public?

text: This is amazing! I can not believe someone would actually nurse without a blanket in public, easy as it is! I'd never do that to myself lol."

Now, I'm not "judging" that person, right? However, I do think that those who chose to not use a blanket in public might get their feelings hurt or "panties in a bunch" over that thread.

Sorry, I don't think that's quite the same thing. This is a diapering forum, not a hyena forum, right?
Anyone can afford to bf in public without a blanket. I mean, nobody would get hurt from doing it, right? So, it's just a matter of choice whether you wanna do it or not.
OTOH, this whole hyena thing. Some people don't have that choice to buy the hyena stuff. See the difference?
#128 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
No one is taking issue with the posts that say "I can't buy the diaper because I don't have the money." The posts that people are taking issue with are the posts that say "I'm shocked that anyone would pay that much for a diaper" or that compare it to buying an environmentally destructive SUV (which is particularly ludicrous since a cloth diaper is about the most environmentally friendly product anyone could by).

Wow. Well we know for certain now who is the fussybutt that everyone keeps talking about, don't we?

You are the only person on this thread to suggest the idea of cloth diapering being about who has the most expensive stash.

I actually did not suggest that cloth diapering is about stash.

I had to laugh out loud at the word "affluent." I am poor. Every once in a while, I pay higher than retail for a diaper. It is my one indulgence. I think most poor people have at least one indulgence. I also spend all the birthday and holiday money that people give me on diapers.

I spend birthday and holiday money on bills. But of course we could now have a contest about who is the most poor. We are not poor. We have computers. The orphans of war and violence in Africa are poor.

If I weren't holding back, I might go into the idea that certain comments are beginning to sound as if they are rooted in envy, and that bitter feelings are being projected.

Yes, you have caught me. I am so envious of the expensive dipes. Very bitter... get real.

Of course not. I never said anything like that. All I said is that you might want to consider your wording. Saying "wow that auction went high" would be one thing. But saying "I'm amazed that someone would pay that much for a diaper" can have a different effect on the person who bought it as well as on the other people who have paid that much.

It is nice that you are looking out for people that are sensitive and would take offense to that. But frankly, this thread shouldn't be so "heavy".

No one has said that people who can't afford to buy an expensive diaper should feel guilty.

I did not say that someone said that, I felt that it was implied.

No one is judging anyone for commenting that they can't afford the diaper.
And no one is judging people that can afford an expensive dipe. No one is envious. We all have our priorities and it is our own business what we do with our income. But it was hard to resist playing devil's advocate with you. I can see that I am just adding fuel to your own personal fire, and it is taking away from the fun of the thread. I believe that I can't really go much further with this discussion.
#129 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
What is critical about being shocked at that? It is shocking, to some people.

I grabbed at a luxury SUV as an example of an object that is not affordable to everyone, and that people get all defensive about when it's questioned why they spent so much money on it. I honestly was not bringing the environmental stuff up at all...

OK, I'm poor too. I'm spending my $150 on a back door that isn't broken and doesn't leak large volumes of cold air in winter.

A lot of other comments sound as if they're taking things personally when they weren't intended that way, and as though they're rooted in insecurity, guilt, and defensiveness.

How does being "amazed" at the price of an item equate to criticism? It doesn't!@!

That "prefold" question sounded like judgment.

ITA. I did not care for the pf question at all.
#130 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose
Some people (okay, I mean you) are doing an awful lot of judging, though.

How's the view up there on that horse?

I would say the view is probably pretty "affluent". tee hee.
#131 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Hhhhmmm, saying that people's comment are rooted in envy isn't judgemental?
And about the poor comment, you forgot, some people are too poor to afford that kind of indulgence.
Well put.
#132 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillymum
I wasn't shocked, I was amazed. Get it right please.
My use of the word "shock" in this sentence
Quote:
If you can't help an initial feeling of shock the first time you see a diaper sell for that price, that's fine.
was in reference to boingo82's post:
Quote:
It is shocking, to some people.
My following sentence referred to you:
Quote:
But if you actually post a thread expressing your amazement at someone's diaper spending choices on the cloth diaper message board where the people who buy the diapers come to chat, you should expect some reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillymum
All this thread was supposed to be about was that I couldn't believe someone paid that much for a diaper, would you pay it, and to the diaper maker.
And all I've been saying is that there might be a better way to word that that's a little more sensitive to the people who have paid that much for a diaper. Try to imagine how someone might feel if they won an auction for that amount and then came here and saw a thread posted that said "I can not believe someone would pay this much for one diaper!" Try to pretend that you're the one who won an auction where the bidding got high, and then you went to your message board devoted to the subject of that product, and you saw that someone posted a thread saying "I can not believe someone would pay that much!" Can you see how it might be better if the post said something like "Wow, that auction went high! Congratulations to the winner! I've never seen one sell for that much before!"

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#133 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You know, poor people always get riled up about everything that rich people do. It's normal!

That is very funny!
#134 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think that's quite the same thing. This is a diapering forum, not a hyena forum, right?
Anyone can afford to bf in public without a blanket. I mean, nobody would get hurt from doing it, right? So, it's just a matter of choice whether you wanna do it or not.
OTOH, this whole hyena thing. Some people don't have that choice to buy the hyena stuff. See the difference?
ehhh, yeah I see the difference. hmmm ... trying to think of another but rapidly losing interest in this topic.
#135 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyMama
we should just lock this thread now and save everyone the stress... its friday, lets enjoy the weekend.

Hey its snowing parts of las vegas! :
We're 2 hours NE of you, it is snowing here too. IT has been snowing all day!!! It is insane! It did not even FREEZE here until December...usually in March it is in the 70s-80s. NUTS I tell you. Most years we get no snow at all, today it has been snowing for 5 hours and it's sticking on roofs.
#136 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug
it is very nice but i can hardly pay for reg CD must less 155.00 my god that is alot of money

however good for the mama who can i wish i could
Be careful. You might be called judgemental or envious!
And I agree with you, it is wonderful for the WAHM that made it! She deserves it!
#137 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Do they get riled up when the rich people send them things for free?
#138 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic
Depends what it is! *i pressed the lol button accidentaly*
#139 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Depends what it is!
I'm not getting the laughter.
#140 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
We're 2 hours NE of you, it is snowing here too. IT has been snowing all day!!! It is insane! It did not even FREEZE here until December...usually in March it is in the 70s-80s. NUTS I tell you. Most years we get no snow at all, today it has been snowing for 5 hours and it's sticking on roofs.

We got snow here in Western Oregon! In March! It is insane!
#141 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Van
ehhh, yeah I see the difference. hmmm ... trying to think of another but rapidly losing interest in this topic.
What about:
Going in the Nut / good eating forum and saying,

I can't believe people pay $8/lb for organic free range beef! Have you ever seen beef for so much?

The people who buy it would say, "It is worth it to me to pay more because I feel better about the conditions the cattle live in and the health of my family."

The other people would say, "I cannot afford to spend that on beef but it sounds delicious" or "I choose not to eat beef" or "I could not ever imagine spending $8/lb on ground beef".

Or maybe going in the Pumping support area and saying "I can't believe people spend $155 on a breast pump!"

To which I would say, "I was shocked at first at the price of the Medela, but found that it was necessary to continue feeding my child BM when I went back to work. It was more comfortable to use that pump and I could pump quicker."
#142 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Whoa.
#143 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting the laughter.
Edited my post. I was laughng IRL about other things, and typed :L0L by reflex.
#144 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwoman2006
We got snow here in Western Oregon! In March! It is insane!
I used to live in Lebanon (near Albany, I think?) and it snowed 2" one year...first snow in 15 years and they closed the schools. For 2"!!! So I know that snow is rare in those parts!
#145 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Edited my post. I was laughng IRL about other things, and typed :L0L by reflex.
Signs you are ODing on MDC:
#1 - you are typing LOL reflexively.
#2 - you are SAYING LOL when something is funny instead of laughing.
#146 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
What about:
Going in the Nut / good eating forum and saying,

I can't believe people pay $8/lb for organic free range beef! Have you ever seen beef for so much?

The people who buy it would say, "It is worth it to me to pay more because I feel better about the conditions the cattle live in and the health of my family."

The other people would say, "I cannot afford to spend that on beef but it sounds delicious" or "I choose not to eat beef" or "I could not ever imagine spending $8/lb on ground beef".

Or maybe going in the Pumping support area and saying "I can't believe people spend $155 on a breast pump!"

To which I would say, "I was shocked at first at the price of the Medela, but found that it was necessary to continue feeding my child BM when I went back to work. It was more comfortable to use that pump and I could pump quicker."
Good examples!
#147 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Signs you are ODing on MDC:
#1 - you are typing LOL reflexively.
#2 - you are SAYING LOL when something is funny instead of laughing.
now i'm laughing for real!
#148 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Getting kind of tense there.
This does nothing but further the divide between rich and poor.
#149 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM

To which I would say, "I was shocked at first at the price of the Medela, but found that it was necessary to continue feeding my child BM when I went back to work. It was more comfortable to use that pump and I could pump quicker."[/QUOTE]

I do not think that you can compare feeding yourself wholesome food, or feeding your baby the perfect food, with art. I mean, people call some dipes "fluff" for a reason, right? The higher end dipes are a bonus to a necessity. And I think that there are some really cute ones out there.

But when shopping for my breast pump, I went with a used one that was in good condition and reliable. It was not embellished. It was not sequined or glittery. So, there is definitely a difference between these things I think. I make some of my own diapers, and those are the ones that I can afford to make pretty. I am thankful and quite content that I get to be creative that way. And seeing lovely dipes that WAHMs make inspires me to make some fun dipes for my baby.
#150 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
You must be getting our weather cause it is a beautiful sunny day here in Chicago. Normally in march we are still buried in snow. Of course now I just jinxed myself..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page