Oh Boy! Would you pay this? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
I used to live in Lebanon (near Albany, I think?) and it snowed 2" one year...first snow in 15 years and they closed the schools. For 2"!!! So I know that snow is rare in those parts!
Yep, you know what I am talking about! And the snow was sticking!
#152 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwoman2006
/..
I do not think that you can compare feeding yourself wholesome food, or feeding your baby the perfect food, with art. I mean, people call some dipes "fluff" for a reason, right? The higher end dipes are a bonus to a necessity. And I think that there are some really cute ones out there.

But when shopping for my breast pump, I went with a used one that was in good condition and reliable. It was not embellished. It was not sequined or glittery. So, there is definitely a difference between these things I think. I make some of my own diapers, and those are the ones that I can afford to make pretty. I am thankful and quite content that I get to be creative that way. And seeing lovely dipes that WAHMs make inspires me to make some fun dipes for my baby.
OK, not a perfect analogy...btw my pump was used too. Not sparkly or fancy but it got the job done!
I also get inspiration from the fancy dipes - and I don't have a problem with them or with anyone who buys them! Again, I love that there is a market for nice things because it would be awful boring for the WAHMs otherwise.
I just don't think the OP was being critical at ALL and don't understand why some folks got so riled up over the posts that woulc not spend that much!
#153 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2boysNagirl
You must be getting our weather cause it is a beautiful sunny day here in Chicago. Normally in march we are still buried in snow. Of course now I just jinxed myself..
You want it back? We were going to be tearing out the aforementioned back door tomorrow, but not with this 80% chance of snow! Not exactly the weather for a giant hole in the side of my house!!
#154 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Alice, did you know it's really sunny in Maryland today? My boys and I spent most of the afternoon in the back yard playing in the sandbox and water tub. Had a lovely time!
#155 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 PM

This thread is interesting!
#156 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:35 PM

Ummmm.....no.
#157 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oetien
Anyone can afford to bf in public without a blanket.
Some women can't breastfeed in public without a blanket because they can't relax without their blanket and if they can't relax the milk won't eject. I think that's analogous to not being able to choose hyena diapers.

Quote:
I actually did not suggest that cloth diapering is about stash.
You said:
Quote:
Isn't cloth diapering about keeping our children safe and keeping our environment (for their future) safe? It isn't about who has the most expensive stash people.
You are the only person on the thread to suggest the idea of cloth diapering being about who has the most expensive stash.

Quote:
I spend birthday and holiday money on bills.
My point is being missed. My only point was that not everyone who has splurged on a special diapering item is "affluent."

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
No one has said that people who can't afford to buy an expensive diaper should feel guilty.
I did not say that someone said that, I felt that it was implied.
When was it implied?? No one would ever imply such a thing! That's ridiculous!

Quote:
We all have our priorities and it is our own business what we do with our income.
Exactly. Thank you for saying that.

As far as trying to find an analogy for this thread, just about any forum where people talk about a product would work. Try going to the babywearing forum and saying "I can not believe someone would pay $100 for a sling" and see what kind of reactions you get. Or try going to whatever the forum is where people talk about carseats (some people are really addicted to those things) and saying "I can not believe someone would pay $500 for a car seat" (or however much those expensive ones cost... is Britax the expensive brand?) and see what kind of reactions you get.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#158 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM

i...like big butts and i cannot lie...

#159 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Signs you are ODing on MDC:
#1 - you are typing LOL reflexively.
#2 - you are SAYING LOL when something is funny instead of laughing.
#3 - you call your husband "dh" instead of saying his given name....
#160 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:46 PM

...you other brothers can't deny... that when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist ... and a round thing in your face...
#161 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini
#3 - you call your husband "dh" instead of saying his given name....
lmao - i've done that, it's rather embarrassing
#162 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I just don't think the OP was being critical at ALL and don't understand why some folks got so riled up over the posts that woulc not spend that much!
Again, no one is riled over the posts that say "I would not spend that much." The issue is the posts that say "I can't believe someone would spend that much."

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#163 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic
Do they get riled up when the rich people send them things for free?

wow. You really know how to bring it on home dontcha?
It's funny because you always seem to make the point for the other side. Noone says money can buy heart or brains. No matter how many outrageously expensive objects you buy, you (general you) can still be pretty empty inside.
#164 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:02 PM

for the most part this thread has been polite.. can we not start the personal attacks.. please?
#165 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Some women can't breastfeed in public without a blanket because they can't relax without their blanket and if they can't relax the milk won't eject. I think that's analogous to not being able to choose hyena diapers.
Wow, I didn't know that. I thought anyone can learn to get used to bf-ing in public (like me).
#166 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
//Or try going to whatever the forum is where people talk about carseats (some people are really addicted to those things) and saying "I can not believe someone would pay $500 for a car seat" (or however much those expensive ones cost... is Britax the expensive brand?) and see what kind of reactions you get.
I have one of those. Safety is a huge priority for us, and my research and experimentation indicated that my child would be safest in that seat. (Especially 'cause I can install it tightly by myself.)
It does not hurt my feelings if someone else does not understand my choice to buy a $260 car seat. It was definitely worth it for us.
#167 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
wow. You really know how to bring it on home dontcha?
It's funny because you always seem to make the point for the other side. Noone says money can buy heart or brains. No matter how many outrageously expensive objects you buy, you (general you) can still be pretty empty inside.
Aw, I was waiting for you to pop up here. I guess I do know how to drive the point home. It's just that when the same people respond time and time again to the FFS threads and then are so quick to trash, it leaves some wondering.
#168 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Again, no one is riled over the posts that say "I would not spend that much." The issue is the posts that say "I can't believe someone would spend that much."
Still not seeing how that statement is offensive.
We all come from different backgrounds here and have different priorities. Some people think a gorgeous embroidered diaper is worth their $150. Other people do not have the $150, but if they did, would never spend it on that. Other people have it, but spend it on something else. We all seem to agree that it's a pretty diaper and cloth is good and Christy is great. Where is the problem?
#169 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"As far as trying to find an analogy for this thread, just about any forum where people talk about a product would work. Try going to the babywearing forum and saying "I can not believe someone would pay $100 for a sling" and see what kind of reactions you get. Or try going to whatever the forum is where people talk about carseats (some people are really addicted to those things) and saying "I can not believe someone would pay $500 for a car seat" (or however much those expensive ones cost... is Britax the expensive brand?) and see what kind of reactions you get."

Doesn't quite work either, slings in the $100 are not uncommon. $500 for a car seat, well you know what, the most expensive one I could find was $350 (reduced to under $200 though). Do you want to try again?
#170 of 170 Old 03-10-2006, 09:14 PM

I think the topic has been beat to death yet again. Let's close this before it evolves into personal attacks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page