Im thinking of starting to use CD but need help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am very clueless on what CD consist of, is it just the diaper? or liners, how do they work, does the babys skin get rashy, stay dry, what about night leaks, he sleeps about 10 hours strait. Are they as absorbant as dispozable diapers? How do I use them? Can they be washed in cold water and still be clean, and smell clean, How hard are poop stains to get out? I don't sew so won't be making any. How many should I have? My DS id 5 months and weighs over 20lbs, do I have to buy a bunch of different sizes? I don't have a lot of money to spend at one time, as they seem expensive. I also live in Canada so need to find a Canadian company to buy them from, I cannot afford the exchange rate. I live in a small town and have no clue of any store around me that sells them so I would have to order them from somewhere. Any help on this would be greatly appriceated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 PM

The basic system is an absorbent diaper and a waterproof cover. They can be separate or they can be all-in-one. If you need extra absorbency you can add a doubler. For my baby, I have found that what prevents rashes is to put organic cotton next to the skin and change frequently. In my experience the best way to prevent night leaks is to use an absorbent fitted diaper and a wool pull-on cover. I think cloth diapers work just as well as disposables if not better (poop blowouts happen much more often with disposables than with cloth). Quality cloth diapers are very absorbent (you might want to steer clear of Gerber, Little Lambs, and Kushies). If you have All-In-One diapers, you use them exactly the same way you use disposables, except that you drop the dirty ones in the diaper pail and wash them instead of dropping them in the trash. If you have separate diapers and covers, you only need about six covers and you can use them in rotation. If the diapers are prefolds or flats you fold them so that they fit inside the covers. I always use warm or hot water to wash my diapers. It's good to have about 36 diapers for a newborn and about 24 diapers for an older baby. Diapers come in different sizes or you can also get one-size-fits-all diapers. There is a wide range of prices for diapers. Cloth diapers cost less than using disposables. There are diaper sellers in Canada (some of the best diapers come from Canada!) and I'm sure someone can post some links.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 03-11-2006, 01:30 AM

Hooray for you looking into cloth diapers!!!
Sustainer pretty much covered it all pretty well. I also give big thumbs up for organic cotton. You may also want to try posting on the main diapering forum. One Canadian diaper company I know of is www.jamtots.com I know there are a ton more, but I can't think of them.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Have you looked into Mommy's Touch One Size Pocket Diaper? You wouldn't have to buy multiple sizes. It fits 7 - 35 lbs. and they have extender tabs available. Very nice. You use an insert with these. The only Canadian retailer listed is: TheRealDiaperStore.com

They seem very comfortable. Stay dry fleece on the inside and PUL on the outside. They really perform at night. I love them. They are brand new on the market. Worth looking into if you are wanting to start cd-ing. They are just sooo easy. Like Fuzzi Bunz with the convenience of one size. Hope this helps.
-Lyna
sweetbunz.com
Old 03-11-2006, 04:36 AM

Here is a link to an MDC thread listing links to Candian WAHMs

Canadian WAHMs

Jen

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
Old 03-12-2006, 06:26 PM

For someone just starting to CD in Canada...I'd recommend www.mother-ease.com
They are fairly inexpensive, have great package deals (including a very reasonably priced starter/sample pkg) & you won't have to pay exchange or duty. (The cost of shipping from them is really chaep, too)
They carry a one-sized diaper, so you wouldn't have to buy more than one size. They now carry organic cotton diapers too.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Old 03-12-2006, 06:28 PM

Oops!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Old 03-12-2006, 07:52 PM

motherease are great workhouse diapers! but if your little one is already 20lbs i would recommend the sandies (probably large) over the one-size, which i found didn't fit well past 25lbs or so.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

User Tag List