Stinky wool? AND--hand-dyed wool that stains covers and clothes?? Help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-15-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are trying to kick our nighttime disposie habit, but it's been hard, as DD is a heavy wetter at night (she drinks a lot before bed). So far the best solution seems to be wool covers. I have a Sugarpeas and a Stacinator, both bought used on MDC. But we have two issues:

1.) My LORD, does it reek in her room in the morning when we come in. This seems to be a wool-specific issue. The covers have been recently washed and relanolinized. Is this just what wool does at night, or is there something wrong?

2) The Stacinator was home-dyed bright red with...something. I don't know who sold it to me anymore, unfortunately. The dye is turning her prefolds red and sometimes leaching into her PJs. It washes out, but how do I make it stop doing this? I have washed it and washed it and the thing still loses dye.

Thanks!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM

in order to get it to stop dying your clothes, put it in a vinegar soak. here is good instructions on getting the stacinators to stop bleeding: **Note** Dark colored wool will bleed.
*tip* For bleeding wool, mix 3 cups white vinegar with 3tbsp salt, wet wool in lukewarm water, add to vinegar/salt mixture. Microwave for two, 3minute sessions. Allow to COMPLETELY cool, rinse in lukewarm water, wash, re-lanolize. (if you rinse before allowing to completely cool, you may unintentionally felt your garment)

now, as far as the smell, My guess would be that either the cover is not well lanolized (the lanolin goes through a chemical reaction with urine, neutralizing ammonia and converting the urine to pure water) or is not being stuffed sufficiently, or both. I would try using a good spray lanolin on it after also using a lanolin wash, and see if that helps.

Also, I would make sure that your child doesn't have a UTI as that can make their urine stink.

hth
Misty
#3 of 5 Old 03-15-2006, 05:11 PM

sorry, the site hiccuped and put my post twice
#4 of 5 Old 03-15-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2006, 04:07 AM

MistyMM's advice is exactly what I was going to post.
Vinegar & More lanolin!

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page