Wool Users?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been knitting longies, I'm on my third pair and it dawned on me that I'm not sure if the wool I'm using is really the best. It's hand dyed Alpaca, I actually haven't used them as longies yet, so I don't know how well they work. I love them as pants, but think I'm ready to move on to actually using them for the proper purpose.

My real question here is what kind of wool yarn do you like best? What is easiest to knitt with? And do i need to lanolize before use?

Thanks!!
#2 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 10:37 PM

I really hope you are not using 100% alpaca. A blend is fine but I'm fairly sure pure alpaca is going to give you issues.

Yes, you'll need to lanolize if you want them to be at their most effective.

I like

Little turtle knits( littleturtleknits.com) wool- her farm yarn and merino are amazing
BFL from woolly wonders by nada - soft and her dh Brad is amazing at dyeing

Blackberry Ridge merino- soft and stretchy

Bartletts - sturdiest wool I've ever seen. not the softest but it wears wonderfully well.

Cascade Eco- easy to great, good colors and holds up well.
#3 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

It is 100% alpaca, why will this be bad? I can just keep using them as regular pants if I have too, they are just too cute! i knew I should have asked this earlier, I'm in the middle of making another pair, if they aren't going to work I'll stop and making something else with the yarn. I really want some real working longies.....

Thanks for the info..
#4 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 PM

alpaca isn't going to hold it shape and tends to shed when it's damp.

Atleast that's what I've heard from other knitters. A blend would be fine but full on alpaca isn't something I want to try.
#5 of 6 Old 03-20-2006, 11:26 PM

I don't knit but I do work with wool a lot and I think if you have a good fitted diaper most wool/ alpaca / angora will do the job just fine. Yes some better than others. I use a wool lanolizing spray but I think soaking overnight with lanolin lets it soak in better. I say if you like the pants use them.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
#6 of 6 Old 03-21-2006, 12:28 PM

I love alpaca for its softness. I also love its drape & all of the natural colors.

When I tried longies in 100% alpaca I found that you need a really well structured waistband to prevent the pants from looseing their shape within a few wares. Don't let that scare you though, if you aren't having any trouble with them, enjoy their softness!

I also love merino wools. There are a lot of different types out there. My favorite is merino from Peru because it tends to be a little thick, it absorbs a TON, it is creates a well structured pair of longies, doesn’t pill much and they are supper durable - even for crawlers!

* Llamajama in stock woolens *
hand knit wool longies, wool soakers, wool sweaters and more!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page