Why don't they wear "normal" diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sick of the stupidity of this question. 20 years ago Cloth WAS normal. Now paper is normal??????? ARRRRGGGGHHH. YES I am ranting a bit but it is really annoying. Paper and plastic should NEVER be "normal" to wear. What if I made a paper or plastic dress would THAT be called NORMAL? We were NOT meant to wear paper and plastic.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 PM

"Because we have something BETTER."

-Angela
#3 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

I get that sometimes too. Sometimes people just assume DS *can't* wear sposies (actually, I'M the one who's allergic to them ) and we HAVE to use cloth. They expect you are using them because you HAVE to and not because you WANT to. I tell people about the health, environmental, and financial benefits and they still don't get it. Because those things just aren't worth it. :

And I can't believe how many people don't even know that cloth EXISTS! Like cloth, specifically for the purpose of diapering, just vanished off the earth.

My DH works at wal-mart and he is always buying fabric for me to make diapers. The cashiers are always asking him what in the world he does with so much kiddie fabric. Every single one of them has no idea what he means when he says "my wife is making diapers for our son". Last night, the cashier asked about the fabric, he gave her that reply, and she said, "wow, those must be pretty bulky over pampers".

He told her no, we use *just* cloth. And she went on and on about how the laundry must suck, what a chore, ect, ect. And DH said, "No, my wife really doesn't mind the laundry. It's not that big of a deal. And she loves making the diapers."

The lady that works in the fabric section knew just what I meant when I told her I made cloth diapers. And she's pro-cloth. She used them on her kids even though sposies were becoming the norm at the time.

My DH is determined to educate as many wal-martians as possible.
#4 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

And why is it that people think they DESERVE and explanation from you if you do something slightly out of the ordinary. I was just thinking about this a few days ago.

We don't do Santa Claus. People want me to explain myself. Why isn't "just because" a good enough answer?

And why I don't shave my pits. Seriously, do people want the nitty-gritty details of my horrible pit razor burn? Why can't I just say "just because"?

Why don't you use *normal* diapers?! "Just because"

Now if I think someone really wants to know about cloth, I'll be nice and educate. But if they are being snotty, "just because" should be good enough, but nooo, they want a darn good reason why.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.
#5 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 04:04 PM

I've gotten quite a few of those responces. I was at a ladies church function and the subject came up. I request that if ds is in the nursery and needs a diaper change that they come and get me. (Mainly because I'm not comfortable with them changing his dipe, but they will also put a sposie on him when I leave a dipe for him) The pastors wife looked at me and said in a very condecending and snotty tone, "Why on earth would you WANT to use cloth!?" The good thing is that some of the older women who used cloth jumped in and defended me before I could even open my mouth.
#6 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 04:33 PM

i hate that...everytime i change caleb around someone who uses sposies they say "oh he doesn't even use regular diapers" and i'm like "they are his regular diapers...they are just cloth and so are saving me a lot of money!"

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#7 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam
that just struck me as hilarious. walmartians hahahaha .

seriously tho good for your dh!! mine is the first one to say how stupid cloth is :

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#8 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's funny. No one has ever questioned us using cloth diapers. I live in a really crunchy area though.
#9 of 32 Old 04-08-2006, 09:49 PM

Normal... Oh please...
#10 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike
Paper and plastic should NEVER be "normal" to wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike
We were NOT meant to wear paper and plastic.
HEAR, HEAR!

Shaunam, bravo to your dh for educating walmartians!!

Quote:
And why is it that people think they DESERVE and explanation from you if you do something slightly out of the ordinary. I was just thinking about this a few days ago.

We don't do Santa Claus. People want me to explain myself. Why isn't "just because" a good enough answer?

And why I don't shave my pits. Seriously, do people want the nitty-gritty details of my horrible pit razor burn? Why can't I just say "just because"?

Why don't you use *normal* diapers?! "Just because"

Now if I think someone really wants to know about cloth, I'll be nice and educate. But if they are being snotty, "just because" should be good enough, but nooo, they want a darn good reason why.
I'm reminded of my first pregnancy when I went past my due date and I refused the standard non-stress tests, and when my nurse-midwife told the nurse/receptionist that I would not be having the non-stress tests, the nurse/receptionist looked at her like she had 3 heads and, in a defiant/challenging way, demanded to know the reasoning behind "allowing" me not to have the tests. I glared at the assistant and supressed the urge to say "because it's MY BODY and I SAY SO, that's why!" but the midwife just smiled at her in an I'm-the-midwife-and-you'll-just-have-to-go-along-with-it way and said "Just because." I looked at the midwife with admiration and thought YOU GO GIRL -- DARN STRAIGHT 'JUST BECAUSE'. And then I looked triumphantly at the assistant, who had no response.

I'm also reminded of my cousin's ex boyfriend, who asked me why I wasn't going to be induced on my due date, and I looked at HIM like he had 3 heads, and I thought of saying 'why should I?' but then I decided to educate him, and I explained that babies know when they're ready to be born, etc.

Sorry, now I'm the one hijacking the thread!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#11 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 12:16 AM

I know what you mean, sometimes I get odd looks too & people asking why don't you use real diapers? I always reply, I DO use real diapers, mine don't go in the trash. How much more real can you get. Most of the time once people see my dipes they think they are cute, but too much trouble for them to deal with If I had seen the diapers out there besides, pfs, pins & vinyl pullup covers, I might have used cloth from the start with all my children, not just the last 2.
#12 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
That made me giggle!

My dad works for a major manufacturer of diapers (Pampers anyone) and this is an ongoing debate. I'm never going to convince him, don't even try anymore. I just smile and say, "Better for DD, better for me, better for the earth."
#13 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 01:10 AM

what if we just said that plastic diapers compare to cloth diapers about as well as plastic cutlery compares to metal cutlery. At the end of the day I'd rather have the benefits of a real fork even if it means I have to wash it!
#14 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 AM

:

i know what you mean about getting tired of people feeling like you owe them an explaination for every little thing. i don't really wait for people to ask though. i just go ahead and educate. and every now and them somebdy says "well gee i never thought of that" i don't know if i've convinced anybody yet but at least they're becoming aware
#15 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM

we just visted my relatives and friends in Ca and even though they had already seen cloth on a babys bum (my 7yr old) i got commets like, "your doing THAT again!" umm ya.

my cousin's bf was over and she showed him my FB's and he was totally grossed out over having to wash them and he said no way are we ever using cloth!

my dh every once in awhile is like why don't we use "normal" diapers and i keep saying we are USING normal diapers plus we are saving money! his mom on the other hand thinks its awesome that we are using cloth!!
#16 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth
what if we just said that plastic diapers compare to cloth diapers about as well as plastic cutlery compares to metal cutlery. At the end of the day I'd rather have the benefits of a real fork even if it means I have to wash it!
Good comparison! Yes, it's just like if all but a few people switched to paper plates and plastic utensils, and asked us why on earth we use dishes that are meant to be washed. I've even heard people say that using real dishes doesn't help the environment because washing them uses resources like energy and water. Sound familiar?

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#17 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM

normal diapers

When my bro and his girlfriend took the kids to the zoo, they asked if we had any regular diapers or just those crazy ones. Sorry just the crazy ones
I just sent them with AIO's and showed them how easy they were to change and they were both like oh okay that's not too complicated. Bro's gf was like I say you doing some crazy folding stuff and I was afraid I'd have to do all that....(I had tri-folded a pf in a wrap earlier, not the most complicated thing but I guess it is if you've never done it before)

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#18 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:21 PM

My grandma actually said to me, "I can't believe you're using regular diapers". At least she said that cloth is a regular diaper. But then she was just disgusted and kept asking if it is a huge pain. This is from a woman that cloth diapered FIVE children. So she should know exactly what it entails. But yes I hate having to justify things to people. Sometimes I hate doing diaper changes around my extended family because I just don't want it to turn into a discussion.

Shelley
#19 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
"Because we have something BETTER."

-Angela
#20 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes'sBeth
At the end of the day I'd rather have the benefits of a real fork even if it means I have to wash it!
Me too!!!
#21 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:50 PM

before my grandma passed, she was SO proud that I used cloth that she told all her little old lady friends, and every woman with a baby that she saw. She thought it was great that I use "real" diapers and not those "horrible paper things"
#22 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd
My grandma actually said to me, "I can't believe you're using regular diapers". At least she said that cloth is a regular diaper. But then she was just disgusted and kept asking if it is a huge pain. This is from a woman that cloth diapered FIVE children. So she should know exactly what it entails. But yes I hate having to justify things to people. Sometimes I hate doing diaper changes around my extended family because I just don't want it to turn into a discussion.

Shelley
From what I can tell, cloth diapering back in the old days was a huge pain with nasty poop-water and ringing out the diapers and icky plastic covers. There was a reason that most people gladly switched to paper as soon as they could afford it and it wasn't all advertising.

Next time the subject comes up at all, ask your grandma what she did to wash her diapers and share how you take care of yours.
#23 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 06:51 PM

of course dh's family always ask why I don't use "real" diapers - I said "I do"
#24 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife
normal diapers

When my bro and his girlfriend took the kids to the zoo, they asked if we had any regular diapers or just those crazy ones. Sorry just the crazy ones
I just sent them with AIO's and showed them how easy they were to change and they were both like oh okay that's not too complicated. Bro's gf was like I say you doing some crazy folding stuff and I was afraid I'd have to do all that....(I had tri-folded a pf in a wrap earlier, not the most complicated thing but I guess it is if you've never done it before)
FOLD a diaper?? INSANE!!

I'm not wild about prefolds, I prefer fitteds, I'm actually rather folding-impared, but I think calling it crazy goes a bit far! The idea of trifolding a diaper and laying it in a wrap is not something to freak out about, even if you're someone as uncoordinated as I am. I only switched to fitteds because I didn't want to have to do it 8 times a day for another 3 years, you know?

#25 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 07:38 PM

On the other side of the coin, I get annoyed with my mil when she refers to flat diapers as 'real' diapers, as if my sandy's are fake??? Dh's aunt made us some flannel flats, nice gesture, they were what she used on her boys. That's when mil made the comment about them being 'real'....
#26 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 08:00 PM

I love this thread.

It feels "normal" in this forum.

I haven't got many comments worth mentioning, but boy, am I ready!
#27 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yep, drives me nuts too. I get this all the time. Even my husband refers to disposables as "regular diapers" and we've been cloth diapering Sara since her birth 15months ago. It's really sad that cloth isn't considered a "normal" choice like people consider breastfeeding vs formula feeding a choice. I don't believe breast vs bottle SHOULD be a choice mind you. I just think that babies would be a lot better off if moms decided during their pregnancy the benefits of cloth vs sposie just like they seem to decide the benefits of breast vs bottle. I think cloth should be seen as a viable option I guess is what I'm trying to get to here. I don't explain my reasons as I feel taht I shouldn't have to justify my reason for doing ANYTHING with my daughter to anyone. However, if they have questions or want to talk about cloth, I'm MORE than happy to expound on the benefits of cloth vs disposables. But if people ask why we don't use "normal" or "regular" diapers, I just say, "because I like these better." That's that. My choice, my daughters bottom!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#28 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
On the other side of the coin, I get annoyed with my mil when she refers to flat diapers as 'real' diapers, as if my sandy's are fake??? Dh's aunt made us some flannel flats, nice gesture, they were what she used on her boys. That's when mil made the comment about them being 'real'....
I think of all cloth diapers as "real," but I confess I think of prefolds as "regular" diapers and I still think of fitteds as new-fangled things.

It boggles my mind to hear sposies referred to as the "real" ones or the "regular" ones.

#29 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One of my friends would always comment on how it was nice to see someone using real diapers, that always made me feel good!

Recently we moved cross country and used sposies on the trip. Once we got moved into our place over here I put DS back in his CDs and DH commented "good, he's finally back in cloth."

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#30 of 32 Old 04-09-2006, 08:49 PM

Lots of times, I end up making the person explain themselves.
If they say, "Why don't you use real diapers?" I'll respond something like, "What do you mean by real?" then it's funny for THEM to try to defend their comment lol
I don't say it snotty or anything, but completely innocent, as if I have no idea what they're suggesting It's funny to see someone's reaction when they have to think WHY they're saying something like that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page