What is a cloth diapering mama's profile? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Cloth diapering mama profile...
Breast feed/EBF 455 100.00%
Family bed/co-sleep 408 100.00%
Intact sons (for those with boys!) 232 100.00%
Unmedicated childbirth 255 100.00%
Vegetarian/vegan diet 81 100.00%
No-/selective vaccinations 241 100.00%
Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) 355 100.00%
Homeschooling/unschooling 149 100.00%
Gentle discipline 373 100.00%
Other... Please share! 37 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with someone else who said CDing really doesn't mean you have to go along with this other stuff, but here are my answers:

Breast feed/EBF Yes
Family bed/co-sleep Yes
Intact sons (for those with boys!)Don't have any boys, but if we have one, we don't plan to circ
Unmedicated childbirth I checked this one because I believe in it, and I intend to try again next time, but after 40 hrs of labor, 4 hrs of it in transition and 2.5 of it stuck at 8-8.5 cm, I opted for the epidural.
Vegetarian/vegan diet No, we definitely like meat around here.
No-/selective vaccinations Selective and delayed here
Environmentally conscious Yes, though we don't have much access around here to recycling, unfortunately. We try not to be wasteful though.
Homeschooling/unschooling Not planning on it, didn't check it, but I certainly support it.
Gentle discipline With a 4 month old, I haven't had to deal with this yet, but I intend to try as hard as I can with her. It will be a bit of a challenge since neither DH nor I was raised in a very "gentle discipline" environment.
Other... Please share! Didn't check it, but we are ECing, and I carry/hold DD 90% of the time.
#62 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 02:38 AM

BF-I am still BF 13 month old DD.se seems to nurse some days more than ever. I will let her decide when she wants to stop.

Cosleeping.....we reacive cosleep meaning she starts out in her bed till she wakes up to nurse.She also naps in her crib most days...sometimes mommy and her nap together.

Unmedicated birth.==I had intended this.After 3 days of back labor,I was in transtion and the doc offered an epidural I said " I'll take anything you've got!!!!"
When it came time to push the midwife said I couldn't feel so she turned it off.In other words I felt the WHOLE thing...by the way I hated the pitocin it makes the contractions come way too fast.No time to rest.

Intact/Circ>>> we are undecided.

Vegetarian-NEVER(I love a good steak)

Homeshooling<<<we plan to...leaning toward unschooling.

Gentle discipline...yes with natural consequences and lots of praise.

Recycle,Reuse.....hmm I am working on this.We cloth diaper full time and I use cloth mama pads.I just started making my own cleaners. My biggest accomplishment is no more paper plates!!!

Other]]]]]]]
We babywear..DH loves his sling as much as I love mine.

We are learning sign language.

We plan on limiting television and we have plastic toys and noisy toys but really are stressing playthings which require some imagination.

Linda

oohh..I forgot Vacciations..we are doingn them on a delayed schedule.
#63 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 04:41 AM

"but Jamaica is a very Christian, Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child society..."

sevenkids - I hope I do not offend you here, I just wanted to share with everyone that many Christian mamas interpret the "rod" verses as meaning a rod that is for guidance and protection, not for hitting. For more info: www.gentlemothering.com

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

#64 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 06:52 AM

I am disappointed that the percentages are not showing what the numbers really mean. Can that be fixed?
I checked most of the items withh the following exceptions: We eat meat. We will not homeschool dd#1. I am open to it, but she is not. I checked gentle discipline, but we do yell. I can no longer be repressed. (that would make for an interesting discussion elsewhere). For other, we homebirth and sling, although sliinging did not last long with ds because he was so freaking heavy!
#65 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 11:59 AM

Breast feed/EBF ~Yes
Family bed/co-sleep ~Yes
Intact sons (for those with boys!) ~Yes
Unmedicated childbirth ~I firmly believe in it and always have, ds had other plans and refused to descend. But we're planning an HBAC!
Vegetarian/vegan diet ~Vegetarian, not vegan
No-/selective vaccinations ~Yes
Environmentally conscious ~Yes, we use cloth for everything except toilet paper, that is dh's rule. We recycle, compost, etc.
Homeschooling/unschooling ~Yes
Gentle discipline ~Most definitely!
Other... Please share~ babywearing, signing, EC part-time, no plastic toys (just started this one, but we have a ton of wooden/metal/playsilks, etc), alternative medicine/chiropractic care, I'm sure there's more!
Good thread!
#66 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 12:13 PM

Breast feed/EBF - DD has been on only breastmilk until yesterday :-)
Family bed/co-sleep- I've read that having baby in a crib in your room is a sort of pseudo-coslleping. That's what we do

Intact sons (for those with boys!)- We will not circ any sons we have
Unmedicated childbirth - I had to be induced, don't know if that counts. My water broke, and no contrax. I didn't have anything for pain though.

Vegetarian/vegan diet- Here's one I have a *beef* about (sorry, bad pun). We are not vegetarians. I respect those who are, but I feel our species is designed to eat meat. I wish I could eat only free range organic, but I can't afford to. My opinions of this are probably based on allergies I have. I can't eat soy, raw fruits and vegetables, certain cooked veggies, nuts, and fish.

No-/selective vaccinations- We have been vaccinating. I have only looked into this a bit. My doc has told me canadian ones are safe, and none contain mercury. I am not aware of any other concerns with them...
Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.)- We have composting and recycling pickup. They provide the compost bins. We have one bag of actual garbage per month, which is no where near the limit, which I feel is too high (10 bags per 2 weeks). I am constantly trying to cut this down even further. It's mostly styrofoam packagaing from meat, and packaging from things like cookies...

Homeschooling/unschooling- I am considering this, haven't decided yet
Gentle discipline- This is the plan
Homebirthing- I hope to as well, though it's not legal to use a midwife here...
Slinging- I just got my sling. Still working on positions. That said, dd is usually near me, we spend most of our time sitting on the floor together, playing, cuddling and talking.

ETC- Cloth pads, trying to buy more organic stuff, buy 100% post-consumer t.p. and paper towels, use cloth napkins at table.
#67 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 02:14 PM

Here's us:

breast feed/ ebf- yep, Noah's 15 months and still going strong

family bed/ co-sleep- yep,

intact sons- yep,

unmedicated childbirth- really really wanted it, but with an induction, then 30 hours of back to back contractions i couldn't handle it anymore and got an epidural. next time i will avoid induction unless really necessary for my or baby's health and will hopefully go au naturale at a birth center,

vegetarian or vegan diet- um, no. i just can't do it.

no or selective vaccinations- delayed and selective.

environmentally conscious- we're pretty good, but not great. we cd, recycle and reuse. use cloth napkins and rags, mostly.

homeschooling/unschooling- probably not but we'll see,

gentle discipline- of course,

other- lotsa babywearing, trying to use more homeopathic and herbal remedies instead of whatever the ped says, will use the keeper and/or cloth pads whenever i have another period,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#68 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 02:44 PM

LOL...all but veagan!

We do eat meat, sparingly but we do eat it.

Fun poll!

~Tiffany Burch
#69 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 09:41 PM

Other- Babywearing, Organic Food, Part-time EC (almost all the poop!),

Most of the above, but my boy has vacs and will go to school.

M

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#70 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 10:30 PM

OK...I just wanted to say that I voted and was at the end of answering each question individually when dd#3 walked up, well stumbled up, banged on my keyboard and lost everything I typed and I don't have the energy to do it again.
#71 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 11:02 PM

Breast feed/EBF--- with my DD i was 17 and i didnt know any better so she was formula fed.. with my DS he is a 100% titty baby
Family bed/co-sleep with DD every now and then..... with DS always........
Intact sons (for those with boys!) Ryan is circ'd DH wouldnt budge on this.......
Unmedicated childbirth with DD again i was 17 so it was an epi for me...... with DS a very quick unmedicated birth and 2 very fast short pushes and a cord prolapse and he was born..
Vegetarian/vegan diet we dont eat alot of red me but we cluck in my house we eat so much chicken....
No-/selective vaccinations DD is vac'ed except pertussis DS is selectively vaced
Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) we are working on this issue
Homeschooling/unschooling i have no paitents with my DD so she goes to public school...........
Gentle discipline not so easy with a mouthy 8 yr old i yell more then i like and with ryan very gentle,..................
we also baby wear and sign with Ryan......
#72 of 138 Old 02-24-2003, 11:37 PM

Well, the only thing I could check off was "other". LOL

Breast feed/EBF - FF for medical reasons

Family bed/co-sleep- Reactive co-sleep. Ds has always slept in his crib in his room, but if he woke up, brought him into bed with me. When he was around 15 mos, he refused to sleep in his crib, so he co-slept with me til we got him a big boy bed and he sleeps great in there. If he cries in the night, either I or dh go get in his bed with him.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) No, ds is circ'd and I don't feel guilty for it.

Unmedicated childbirth- Kinda. My first labor with ds at 37 weeks I was induced due to medical problems. 2 days of pitocin induced back labor and they refused to give me the epidural cause I was only 1 cm dilated. They did give me some demoral, but it didnt help much. After 2 days of that, and not dilating, I went home still pg.
My water broke on it's own a week & 1/2 later and after going hours with contractions that werent doing much, got more pitocin. They took pity on me and gave me the epidural at same time as pitocin. I slept from about 2 or 3 am til 7 am when I woke up and the epidural stopped working as I went from 2 cm to 10 in an hour and 15 minutes. Anesthesiologist gave me 3 bolices and nothing happened. So I had drugs, but not during any critical stages of labor and delivery! I felt everything, even my OB sewing up my episiotomy. I don't think he realized I wasnt numb down there!

Vegetarian/vegan diet- nope, I love meat!

No-/selective vaccinations - ds had all vacc's up to 12 mos except Prevnar. I've delayed his MMR til he's 2.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) Except for cloth dipes, cloth mama pads and the Keeper and using mostly natural products like vinegar and baking soda to clean with, I can't say I fit this category.

Homeschooling/unschooling- No, ds will be going to Catholic School

Gentle discipline - Not really. I don't spank and probably only will if ds does something life threatening. But I do yell more often than I'd like to, and I also believe in discipline. My ds gets put in time out for 1 minute when he does bad stuff that could result in injury.

Other... Please share!- I use cloth dipes, cloth mama pads, The Keeper, I buy as much organic as we can afford, use natural products to clean as much as possible, and use some homeopathic/herbal/natural remedies.

Edited to add that although I never used a sling, ds was pretty much held his whole first year due to colic for 5 mos and being very high needs! So I babycarried rather than babywear! LOL
#73 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 01:14 AM

Whew! I was beginning to feel a little too mainstream for this board--glad to know that not everyone here does all these things (though admirable they are)!

I'm still bfing Sam at 11 months and have no plans to wean any time soon.

We co-sleep half-time (when ds wakes up he comes to our bed).

Ds is circ'd, no bad feelings there, really.

We eat meat, but not very often, working on eating a better diet here.

I had nubain and an epidural during delivery, though our "plan" was for a drug-free one. After FOUR DAYS of prodromal labor with only 2cm dilatation and regular cont. every 5-10 minutes, I gladly accepted the epi and slept for the first time in 4 days, well enough to really enjoy his quiet, midwife assisted birth.

Ds has all his vacs. It's a decision we made, not just going along with the docs and crowds.

Home schooling, etc. In our thoughts, but no decisions on that yet.

Environmentally conscious--yes. We recycle everything. We're students, so there's not money to upsize, so I guess we live in a downsized world!

Gentle discipline works for us!

Great poll!
#74 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 02:31 AM

We do most. We BF, co-sleep, are vegetarian, will use gentle discipline, are no longer vaxing and try to recycle. DS is circ'ed and I tried to go unmed during birth but had one shot of demerol after hours of back labor with no progress. Next time i will refuse to be induced until absolutely medically necessary.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#75 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 10:59 AM

OK. I'm ready to try this again. :LOL

breast feed/ ebf- dd#3 was the only one who was successfully bf. She just weaned herself at 9 months though.

family bed/ co-sleep- dd #3 co-slept while she nursed. Since then, dd#2 has taken her spot in our bed. I guess we have family bed on demand. Some times we wake up in the morning with three kids and two dogs all piled up. :LOL

intact sons- N/A, mama's got girls but I think if we had boys, they would be circ'ed since dh is and call it crazy but we feel it would be important for our ds to look the same as daddy. KWIM?

unmedicated childbirth- I received and epi w dd #1 & #2. I wanted to go natural both times. With dd #1, I got scared with the pain. #2 was delivered breech and again was scared of the pain of her coming out backwards and was also advised to take the epi in case an emergency c-section was necessary. #3 was natural. She was born an hour after arriving at the hospital. There was no time even if I wanted one.

vegetarian or vegan diet- We eat meat.

no or selective vaccinations- We vaccinate.

environmentally conscious- We participate in our areas recycling program, reuse as much as possible, and now that I'm not working, will be reducing dramatically.

homeschooling/unschooling- I honestly do not have the patience for this.

gentle discipline- I feel that we are gentle yet firm and dicipline fairly.
#76 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 11:22 AM

I was considering this idea yesterday after I posted, and I was thinking about the reason for some of the correlations. Things that are often practised by those who cloth diaper are things with similar benefits, I think. For example, cloth diapers have economic, health, and environmental benefits. Bf'ing shares all of these, but not circumsising only saves on health and money. The more benefits an aspect has in common with the benefits of cd'ing, the more likely it is that it is seen in families who cd. Am I off my rocker?

Breast feed/EBF
Family bed/co-sleep
Intact sons (for those with boys!)
Unmedicated childbirth
Vegetarian
No-/selective vaccinations
Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc)
Homeschooling/unschooling
Gentle discipline
Babywearing
#77 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 11:33 AM

Breast feed/EBF -- Mallory is almost 15 months old and still nursing. I did have to supplement some with formula when I went back to work.

Family bed/co-sleep -- Apparently I'm a "reactive" co-sleeper. She slept in my arms on the couch for the first four weeks, and then in a bassinet by our bed for the next few months. After I started back to work (at 4 months) her night-waking increased dramatically, so I started bringing her to bed with me. Now she starts the night in her crib and I bring her into my bed when she wakes up, sometime between 11 and 1 every night.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) -- If we ever have a son, I'd like to avoid circumcision. This would be a huge fight with my husband and his family, though. Makes me hope that our next one is a girl too!

Unmedicated childbirth -- No, had an epidural and no regrets!

Vegetarian -- No. Was laughing about the Texas comments a few pages back...my dad raises cattle in the Texas panhandle.

No-/selective vaccinations -- Mallory's received everything on schedule so far; I'm thinking about delaying the MMR a while longer. I've been slow to educate myself on this one, but may do things differently with our next baby.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc) -- As much as possible. Using cloth diapers has made me much more aware of how much we throw away in general, and I'm working on it.

Homeschooling/unschooling -- Doubtful; I'll probably still have to work when she reaches that age.

Gentle discipline -- Hasn't come up yet (she's an angel!), but it seems the best way to go.

Babywearing -- Didn't get a sling 'til she was 9 months old, but I love it now.

--Krista
#78 of 138 Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 PM

Ok..here is my little family!

BF-yes, doing so now and BF my other till he was 2 1/2
Co-sleep- yes, have baby DS in the bed with us now, older DS left when he was 6 (when I met DH...DS was sorta kicked out..LOL..but he was OK with that because he got his own bedroom)

Both sons are intact

2 unmedicated births....first took 4 days the second 2 hours

Not vegitarians, DH loves his red meat!

Vacs- first DS: did waht was required 10 years ago, but did not start till he was 6 months. New DS, I will wait till 6 months again, and I am educating myself now to decide what to do

We reuse, recycle and reduce as much as possible and put a lot of thought into this, but there is always room for improvement

DS goes to public school

Gentle Disipline- not really, but then again I am not a very assertive disiplinarian (sp?)

Baby wearing: wore DS1 50% of the time till he was 4 months old, DS2 hates the sling, but loves to be held and carried....I do my best with that, but is my back sore!!

And I love, love my CD's!!

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#79 of 138 Old 03-01-2003, 12:47 AM

These may be out of order, but I'm too lazy to keep scrolling down since I have a nursing baby on my lap

Breastfeed - Yep, I'm very pro-boob.

Vegetarian/Vegan - Nope, I grew up on the grain fed beef that my dad raised. Dh was raised vegetarian, though.

Co-Sleep - Yes, and am desperately hoping for a king sized bed with tax returns, lol! Usually by morning there are 5 of us in our queen sized bed.

Vaccinate - Yes. All of my children are fully vaccinated. I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks, although I know others may not agree.

Medicated births - My first 2 were, #3 was au naturel.

Circ - Our ds is circ'd. My dh was adamant about it.

Reduce/Reuse/Recycle - As much as we can with the nearest recycling facility being 2 hrs away! We live in bfe and I do cart my milk jugs and as much else as I can to recycle once a month. I try to be environmentally conscious and use natural cleaners, etc.

Homeschool/Unschool - Dd is now in public kindergarten, which I monitor very closely. We plan on sending our kids to a private Christian school when we move back to civilization.

Gentle Discipline - We don't spank and I parent knowing that my children are a gift from God and that He entrusted me with the precious job of raising and nurturing them. Don't get me wrong, though, I certainly am not perfect and have much learning to do along the way!

Hm, I think that was all of the questions. Great thread!
#80 of 138 Old 03-01-2003, 01:12 AM

Breast feed/EBF - Still bfing at 1 year, no plans to stop anytime soon

Family bed/co-sleep - Not anymore, although we do still nap together sometimes. Ds is just too wiggly, and our bed is too far off the REALLY hard floor. Ironically, we bought the bed right before he was born so that there would be room for all of us. Oh well, he's always welcome to come join us, we just don't want his little head cracked open.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) - We circumcised him. I didn't want to, but in the end dh's argument that we didn't want him to be "the weird kid" in the locker room, combined with the doctor's comment that EVERY boy he had ever delivered was circumcised, convinced me to go ahead and do it. If he ever decides to become Jewish, he'll be one step ahead of the game! LOL!

Unmedicated childbirth - Sadly, no. I had high hopes, but wimped out. I'm going to try again next time - and next time I'm going to prepare!

Vegetarian/vegan diet - yes

No-/selective vaccinations - No way! I think vaccinations are one of modern medicines greatest achievements! (no this is not a flame or flame invite, JMHO)

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) - Yes, although it's hard around here - you have to PAY to recycle! And I don't mean curbside, I mean ANYWHERE!

Homeschooling/unschooling - No. It's tempting, but again there is the argument of not wanting our kid to be the weird one. It would be different if dh and I were actually socially normal and had a hope of rearing a socially apt child. Since we aren't and don't, we're hoping school will do the trick for us!

Gentle discipline - Yes

I'm actually very surprised that there are so few vegetarians in this group. I would think that vegetarianism would be the most closely aligned with cding - better for health, environment and money. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that we were designed to eat meat. However, we are privileged to live in a time that allows us to have a nutritious diet without eating animals (See Romans 14:2,3 for the basis of my "Eat and let eat" argument).

Interesting!
#81 of 138 Old 03-01-2003, 02:02 PM

would have loved to check unmedicated and HOME birth. My midwife abandoned me after my water broke and I felt I had to go to the hospital and then, as it was by then twenty four hours after the water broke and my labor stopped from all the stress and I was a walk-in(!) and treated like a car on the assembly line and then it was back labor and they had me hooked up to all this s**t and I couldn't get off my back and I gave in and agreed to demerol. It slowed everything down and I wish I had stayed at home and had him just with my girfriends even if there was no "professional".

Family bed all the time until 4.5 - 5 mos. We are inconsistent about the co-sleeping now. He's 10.5 mos. and seems to sleep better on his own if he's not teething. He likes to S P R A W L and he has his papa's loooong body so it is a tight squeeze in a queen size bed. The other night, though, he was peacefully asleep in his own crib (about twenty feet away from us) and I got up and brought him into bed after waking with a horrible feeling of unspecific dread about him alone. I have NO clue what that was about and haven't had it happen before. He seemed fine with being brought in to bed. Didn't wake up or squirm or anything. Who knows?!?!! I figure if you got an instinct, you might as well follow it...it might be right.

On Vaccinations: We are postponing until at least two and have a very amenable paediatrician who is also a homeopath and has a different than average philosophy.

No to the homeschooling at the moment. I wanted to when I was little, but only after I had experienced school and was thoroughly bored. I really wanted a private tutor who taught me math in latin, just like issac newton (OK, so I was a little wierd). My mother wanted me to be a "creative" type...and she doesn't think that scientists or mechanical tinkerers are creative. We'll see what type of person our pixie is when he's older, then decide for sure.

Not vegetarian, his first solid food was venison stew. Store bought factory meat is not allowed in our bodies or home.

Of Course BF!!!!

Uncircumsized

Of course Gentle Discipline the other kind doesn't work.

Very environmentally conscious. You don't want me to get on that soap box, now do you?

Other: Am planning on getting my little one hockey skates and a leather jacket with an angel painted on it for him when he starts walking! No television in the house. LOTS of books and music. Papa plays guitar (bass and Spanish classical) and I sing and used to be a drummer and we both noodle on a harmonica. I get greasy under the hood of the car(s) ...but no SUV's... and we use vegetable oil for fuel in the car. I'm an engineer who can recite chunks of Paradise Lost and Papa studied physics (optics) and now does stained glass.
#82 of 138 Old 03-01-2003, 02:20 PM

Besides some of the other practices, I also practice yoga and Reiki. I am very big on Mind Body Spirit healing because it works. I do yoga with my oldest ds and will when the little one is old enough. I had reiki with both pregnancies and give both kids reiki. Touch is so important.
#83 of 138 Old 03-01-2003, 02:35 PM

I've met a lot of people from Jamaica and it seems like a very sensible society for families. Your replies to all these many specific issues just spelled it out clearly.

Just wanted to say that...sorry for interrupting.
#84 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 04:06 AM

Most of these don't apply to me.

I nursed the first year, but wouldn't have been comfortable going beyond that.

I could never co-sleep. I am light sleeper, and a lifelong insomniac. I can't even sleep with DH in the bed. I am always begging for Dick VanDyke beds!! I need a squishy mattress, a lot of space, and no other living creature moving a muscle (which will wake me up, and then I'll be up for an hour or so).

Although I have some conflicted feelings about circumcision, I am Jewish, and I feel very strongly about tribal identity. We had a Bris in our home (no guests--just DH, myself, MIL, Mohel, and the guest of honor. I held and kissed his head (and gave him the traditonal drops of wine) the whole time. It was lovely, and inspiring, and awful at the same time. I would prefer not to go through it again, but I have this "feeling" that we will have only boys.

I aspired to an unmedicated childbirth, but I think I screamed "epidural" after about the third contraction. (I had a really dreadful labor support system. Things just didn't go well at all. Personalities clashed. I really want it to be different next time, and will plan my best to make it so)

I was mostly vegetarian (not vegan) from my college years until my son was born. I LOVE meat, and eating meat seems to me to be natural for humans to do. So it was always a struggle for me. But I did my best not to eat it b/c of the treatment of the animals on factory farms. It just kills me to think of what they do to those poor cows and pigs in the slaughterhouse. After I had my son, I craved red meat like mad! So I started eating it again with the provision that it had to be meat from "happy free range cows" (small ranch situation).

Vaccinations: Yikes: this one really scares me. No--not the vaccines, the fact that people aren't getting them. Most of us have not grown up with the diseases that vaccines prevent. Gosh, even good ole Doctor Sears is behind them 100%. Polio was eradicated from the Westrn world because of vaccination. This is one of the great triumphs of modern medicine. There are people all over the world who would crawl 20 miles for the chance to get a vaccine for their babies. And yet we refuse them? Of course, I have been terrified by the vaccine stories I have heard. But most of them are not backed up by hard science. All that said, I am delaying vaccines (we are many months behind), because I am a SAHM (no daycare concerns), and it kills me to give my baby shots. But we will get them--except HepB.

I try to be environmentally conscious (that, and comfort were my reasons for CD). We are so lucky to live in California where we can recycle just about everything at our curb. I try to use cloth everything. DH draws the line at cloth toilet paper though!

I don't know what I will do about schooling. I am a primary level teacher myself, and I have been in wonderful school districts, and I have been in some that would certainly make me homeschool. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know what "Gentle Discipline" is. I am a very firm disciplinarian, but I would NEVER hit my child. I think spanking is evil. But I expect my child to be respectful of people and animals, and property, courteous, and KIND.

Other: perhaps the most important part of my "profile" is that I am a SAHM. I quit a job that I was passionate about to be a mother. And we will move anywhere, and do whatever we have to do to ensure that I can stay at home.

WHEW! So much for my introduction! Hi everybody, I'm very pleased to meet you!

Francy
#85 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 11:01 AM

I use cloth for alot of reasons, but the main one is because it's FUN!
#86 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by francy

Other: perhaps the most important part of my "profile" is that I am a SAHM. I quit a job that I was passionate about to be a mother. And we will move anywhere, and do whatever we have to do to ensure that I can stay at home.

Me too! So many mother's say they wish they could stay at home but can't afford it. Meanwhile they have two cars and cable t.v. A lot of people just don't get priorities.
#87 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mama_kass
Me too! So many mother's say they wish they could stay at home but can't afford it. Meanwhile they have two cars and cable t.v. A lot of people just don't get priorities.
That's true for most people too! I'm the exception to the rule. My dh was out of work for a few months last year and we never got a single penny of unemployment (long story, his former employer screwed us bigtime). We don't have cable and we use MIL's internet access. The only bill we have that isn't a utility/car payment (the 2nd car is paid off)/house payment is my cell phone. BTW, we've never paid for daycare either, dd always stays with my mom. I couldn't afford daycare on my income! :

It's a very scary thing to cut my income off, but I will be a sahm as of 04/04/03. We're trusting God to take care of us because we both believe it's my place to raise our kids.
#88 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 06:22 PM

Breast feed/EBF- Yes, dd is exclusively bf at almost 6 mo. I plan to do child-led weaning, but if she goes past 3 years, I may encourage her to wean as dh feels that is ridiculously old. But we'll see if I can change his mind.

Family bed/co-sleep- Yes, although at night with dd still waking up every hour/hour and a half, I fantasize about putting her in her crib.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) I don't have a boy, but I already convinced dh that we won't ever circ, and if he backs out on me, there will be hell to pay! Over my dead body will it happen.

Unmedicated childbirth- I am all for this and tried my best with dd, but was induced due to pre-eclampsia and gave in to an epidural at 4 cm, after my water had to be broken and 2 1/2 days without sleep. DD didn't come for another 8 hours and there's no way I would have been able to push by then. I do plan to try again and am trying very unsuccessfully to talk dh into a homebirth.

Vegetarian/vegan diet- No, I am grossed out by meat when I think about it, but I do like it. I don't like soy and am frightened by the stories of children starting puberty at <5 years old b/c of soy formula.

No-/selective vaccinations- I struggle with this mentally almost everyday. DH is adamant about getting every single one and I am so confused and just pray pray and pray when her appointments come.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc)- Cloth diapers and wipes are about my only thing. I only have 2-3 periods a year and use disposable pads when I do. I can handle poop and pee, no prob, but menstrual blood... I'm not there yet.

Homeschooling/unschooling- Plan to homeschool until high school for sure. Will probably make individual decisions based on each child's needs/desires to determine if they will go to high school or keep on at home.

Gentle discipline- DH wants to spank and I don't. He sees how much it means to me and said he'll probably give in just b/c of that but I want him to be in full agreement with me.

Babywearing- DD doesn't like sling, so we carry her around everywhere. Our poor arms.

Other- I am a SAHM.
#89 of 138 Old 03-02-2003, 06:25 PM

sohj -

What do you mean about using vegetable oil for fuel? Are you joking? It didn't sound like you were but I might be just dense.
#90 of 138 Old 03-03-2003, 04:10 AM

Looks like I missed a fun thread while I was away. Here's my responses:

Breast feed/EBF - YEP!

Family bed/co-sleep - We have a sidecar co-sleeper, but DS hardly ever uses it anymore. He was starting the night off in it, but he doesn't want to anymore.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) - Yes

Unmedicated childbirth - Yes, and proud of it, as someone else said. DS was born in a free-standing birthing center, although I labored at home and in a hotel nearby and basically just showed up at the birthing center to push.

Vegetarian/vegan diet - I was moving towards being a totaly vegetarian but DH is a big meat eater and now I'm back to even eating red meat!

No-/selective vaccinations - None so far, at 8 months, but we're going to start at a year. We'll see if I keep pushing it back or not.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) - Yes, definitely room for improvement, but I try.

Homeschooling/unschooling - I don't think I could do this. I have a great deal of respect for those who can though!

Gentle discipline - I checked this one, but DS is only 8 months old, so I'm not sure he acutally needs discipline yet.

Other... Please share! - I didn't check this, but I am a big fan of babywearing, and I bought some cloth pads to use when AF finally comes back.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page