What is a cloth diapering mama's profile? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Cloth diapering mama profile...
Breast feed/EBF 455 100.00%
Family bed/co-sleep 408 100.00%
Intact sons (for those with boys!) 232 100.00%
Unmedicated childbirth 255 100.00%
Vegetarian/vegan diet 81 100.00%
No-/selective vaccinations 241 100.00%
Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) 355 100.00%
Homeschooling/unschooling 149 100.00%
Gentle discipline 373 100.00%
Other... Please share! 37 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't seen a thread like this in the Diapering forum (since September, anyway), so hopefully it's not a repeat...

I am curious as to what other natural parenting practices all of us cloth diaperers subscribe to. Please share any other ones you feel are central to your "profile" if I didn't list it!

Disclaimers!

This is not meant to make anyone feel guilty.
There is no right or wrong answer!
My list is by no means all-inclusive, but I tried to hit the biggies.
#2 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:16 AM

We do most of the above. It all just kind of falls in line with eachother, KWIM?

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:18 AM

I didn't start using cloth diapers until ds was almost one year old -- we had tried a diaper service when he was first born and it was just too difficult. A friend I met online gave me her old AIOs and it was off to the races -- I love using them! I find it much easier to wash and dry my own diapers -- we still use disposables at night though.
#4 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:19 AM

I checked all of the above except for unmedicated birth. That was the plan, but I had an emergency c-section. I always feel defensive saying that 'cause whenever someone *else* says it I automatically think, "But maybe you didn't do everything to avoid a c-section." Only, I did. Bradley, doula, switched OBs at 30 weeks, couldn't get a midwife 'cause I was gestational diabetic VBAC...the list goes on. Did everything I could to avoid a c-section but ended up with one, so obviously was medicated. An unmedicated birth was *planned*, though!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#5 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinMom
I checked all of the above except for unmedicated birth. That was the plan, but I had an emergency c-section. I always feel defensive saying that 'cause whenever someone *else* says it I automatically think, "But maybe you didn't do everything to avoid a c-section." Only, I did. Bradley, doula, switched OBs at 30 weeks, couldn't get a midwife 'cause I was gestational diabetic VBAC...the list goes on. Did everything I could to avoid a c-section but ended up with one, so obviously was medicated. An unmedicated birth was *planned*, though!
I also had an emergency C-section-- with my first (did Bradley, doula, very pro-unmedicated, etc.)... and a successful VBAC w/ my second. You can still believe in/support unmedicated even if it turns out different from what you hoped or planned!!
#6 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:25 AM

I breastfeed, and I cosleep but, that is about it. I don't think these things automatically go hand in hand with cloth diapering. I believe that if you only advertise towards the group of people who do these things then clothdiapering will remain a trend in just a small part of the population. We cloth diaper because, it is cheaper, I worry about my childrens health in the gel beads, and I think they are cute. Honestly, the last thing that I am thinking of at 4 AM is the environment. Not to start a debate. Just being honest.
Janie
#7 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:27 AM

I guess for me it just all fell in line. Didn't mean to generalize.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:29 AM

I didn't bf ds. I didn't know any better. I had a horrible experience with dd where I was utterly humilated by her doc and made to feel as if I was hurting her by trying to bf. I know a lot better now and my next child will be bf'd if it kills me.

Ds and I did co sleep until he was almost a year old. He sleeps in a crib in my room now but if we stay at MILs or he wakes in the night he sleeps with me.

Ds is circ'd.

I did have an interthecal when I was in labor with ds but it wore off and I was given pitocin so I felt every bit of it when he was born. Now that I know that I can handle the pain and I'm no longer scared I will be trying for unmedicated next time.

I am not ashamed to say we are meat eaters. I like meat. So does dh. Ds doesn't eat so much but he did have some chicken today. Dd does not like much beef but does eat pretty much everything else.

Dd is fully vaccinated and ds was vaccinated until 9 months. I plan on selectively vaccinating at most in the future.

I try to be environmetally concious. There are no recycling facilities in my area but I do my best not to use so much so there is less waste. Dh won't let me ditch paper towels but I try very hard not to use them myself.

Dd lives with her father in South Carolina and attends public school. I'm not postive what I will so with ds but he will probably go to public school also.

I am very strongly for gentle discipline. It is very hard on days where ds is pushing all of the right buttons but I very firmly believe that people of all age deserve respect. That means not yelling and not hitting.
#9 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:29 AM

Oh, yeah, and I didn't start cloth until ds was 1 year old. I did cloth with my twins, though, from birth. It sucked so I didn't want to start with the baby but was convinced by people in my playgroup. MUCH easier now. With the twins I had Gerber prefolds, pins, and Gerber plastic pants. Nothing like what we have now!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#10 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:35 AM

#11 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:36 AM

If our boy would have lived he would be intact and any future boys we may have will be intact.

We also are limiting the use of plastics in our home - especially in childrens toys.

I wanted to add that I planned on an unmedicated birth (with my last baby) - LOL - but after the third really hard contraction hit, I was begging for an epi, but I went several hours before actually getting it. I'm a wimp - seriously! I have no pain tolerance! LOL
#12 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lovingmomto3
I breastfeed, and I cosleep but, that is about it. I don't think these things automatically go hand in hand with cloth diapering. I believe that if you only advertise towards the group of people who do these things then clothdiapering will remain a trend in just a small part of the population. We cloth diaper because, it is cheaper, I worry about my childrens health in the gel beads, and I think they are cute. Honestly, the last thing that I am thinking of at 4 AM is the environment. Not to start a debate. Just being honest.
Janie
Thanks for being honest! That's why I created the poll... I was curious if there's any correlation, and what most (well, here anyway) CD mama's do.
#13 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:46 AM

#14 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:49 AM

We breastfeed/extended breastfeed, co-sleep, use cloth diapers, try to practice gentle discipline and babywear. I have been thinking about becoming Vegan b/c I don't eat much meat or dairy anyway. DS is circed. We do vaccinate but we are delaying DD's. As far as home schooling or unschooling, I'm not sure it's for me, but I don't know what the future holds! Great poll! Edited to add we try to be environmentally conscious as well.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#15 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by CkFromBk
We breastfeed/extended breastfeed, co-sleep, use cloth diapers, try to practice gentle discipline and babywear.
Duh for me!! I can't believe I forgot babywearing as an option!!! (Need an emoticon of me slapping my forehead.) I carried both my kids all the time!

And, as for me, I checked all of the above (AND babywearing ).
#16 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:01 AM

Breast feed/EBF- Yes, dd who is 2.5 hasn't nursed in a little over a week I guess that's that, I hope ds nurses as long.

Family bed/co-sleep - yes, but he will probably go to his bed around 6 months.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) -yes

Unmedicated childbirth -yes

Vegetarian/vegan diet -we eat meat here.

No-/selective vaccinations -dd was fully vaccinated and I may delay some of ds'.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) - I should be better, I try to reuse and recycle when I can.

Homeschooling/unschooling - We will probably do public school.

Gentle discipline -yes
#17 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:03 AM

OKAY, SO I EAT MEAT AND DRINK MILK! :LOL :LOL
#18 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hlsanders
OKAY, SO I EAT MEAT AND DRINK MILK! :LOL :LOL
Bad, bad Heather! :LOL You can't help it, you're a Texan!

#19 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:06 AM

Breast feed/EBF- Yes. BF exclusively till about 8 months, mostly b/c my dd had a strong tongue thrust and I was lazy!

Family bed/co-sleep - yes but weaning her into her own bed at 2.5

Intact sons (for those with boys!) -plan to

Unmedicated childbirth -yes

Vegetarian/vegan diet -no

No-/selective vaccinations -selective

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) - not a huge priority but I do what I can

Homeschooling/unschooling - homeschooling most likely for moral reasons

Gentle discipline -probably not, since I spank occasionally
#20 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CkFromBk
Bad, bad Heather! :LOL You can't help it, you're a Texan!
Yea, you and OPRAH, on my case! What is it with 'you vegetarians?'

Move over soy, bring me a cow!
#21 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:09 AM

I checked all of the above including other. Other being EC (we started with cloth before we knew about EC, and used cloth part time after that). My family always told me I was a freak, I guess now they have proof LOL

#22 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:16 AM

Heather, I'll never be able to become fully vegan. I'll have to be the half assed Vegan b/c I don't think I could give up leather coats and shoes...sad. :

#23 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Banned

Breast feed/EBF Yup
Family bed/co-sleep Yup
Intact sons (for those with boys!) Nope. DS is circ'd. Future sons won't be.
Unmedicated childbirth Nope. Hopefully next birth will be.
Vegetarian/vegan diet No way. Hate veggies. Is there such a thing as meatatarian? No, wait, a junkatarian?
No-/selective vaccinations Yup
Environmentally conscious Uh... not really. I'm frugal first, not filling landfills up is just kind of an added bonus. I don't buy stuff we can do without like paper towels & I love saving money by using cloth pads & cloth diapers. But we don't have a recycling service here and quite honestly, I have no idea where facilities are. Don't know if it would be important enough to focus on for me.
Homeschooling/unschooling Yup, plan on it. Or a private school.
Gentle discipline Yup
Other... Please share! Um... baby sign language & late EC.

#24 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:22 AM

Breast feed/EBF -
Well I have breastfed all of our boys so far, which was probably the first "radical" thing I did (at the time, I was litterally the only new mother I knew who breastfed at all, so it was like totally radical)

Family bed/co-sleep -
With baby number three, our bed is finally a "family bed". I bedshared and co-slept (baby next to me in cradle or crib or crib in same room) with my first two.

Intact sons (for those with boys!) -
My first son was circ'ed out of my own ignorance. I immediately regretted it and when I knew I was going to have another boy I looked into circ literature and decided against it. So my second and third son are intact.

Unmedicated childbirth -
First hospital birth- after hours of agonzing back labor I caved and got a shot of nubain. Regret it- Nubain is assoc. with breathing problems in a newborn (my son had pulmonary hypertension) Second hospital birth, although I was aware of risk, I asked for a shot of nubain again and it wore off in 15 minutes (just made me feel "high") in the end I was thankful thats all it did. Third birth, well can't get meds at home . I am generally pro-unmed.

Vegetarian/vegan diet -
I was a vegetarian for a few years back in high school...

No-/selective vaccinations -
My first is fully vaxxed up to 18 mos, second vaxxed up to 4 mos and my third completely no-vax. I took awhile deciding on that one.

Environmentally conscious (reduce, reuse, recycle, downsizing, etc.) -
I have recycled for as long as I can remember, literally. I reuse as much I can (like plastic grocery bags for garbage pail liners) and am starting to get an "all cloth" attitude....I have now officailly been out of paper towels for two weeks now, and am going to by some cheapo dishtowels at the grocery store next time we go.

Homeschooling/unschooling-
My youngest is 3 1/2, I have toyed with the idea now and then, and feel well heck I am teaching him things now right? I think I will try public schools (providing I know it is a good one and I planned on being involved as possible) so I didn't click on that one.

Gentle discipline -
A sensitive issue for me. I have to work on a day by day basis to be gentle, constructive, not yell, and not spank. Happy to report I have been doing better.

Other...
Well I wear the baby by hand or sling :LOL I won't use any artificial means of birth control (FAM), pro-homebirth/unassisted birth, hmmmm what else? LOL
#25 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:26 AM

Hey, how about this? I am a native Texan who grew up on our own homegrown beef and that is WHY I am now a no red-meat vegetarian!!! My mom said I used to look up at dinner with the saddest little face at age 6 or so and ask things like, "Mommy, is this Snowball we are eating?" DS doesn't even like chicken or fish.

We planned an unmedicated childbirth (Bradley) but after 17 hrs of labor (8 stuck in transition) we went with drugs and ended up with a C 37 hrs later. I hope for a VBAC next time around.

We chose to limit medical interventions very carefully at birth but we do vaccinate. DS is not circed.

I try to believe in and support the public schools so I feel strongly (right now) about sending my son to public.

We try to be environmentally conscious (yes, we gave our dinner guest tonight a Gerber diaper as a napkin, never used for bums though!)

We did LOTS of babywearing and EBF. We just weaned 3 wks ago at 20 months. We still co-sleep.

Edited to add that we also practice gentle discipline. I have been trying to use the Love and Logic approach.

Lisa
#26 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ksmeadowlark
Hey, how about this? I am a native Texan who grew up on our own homegrown beef and that is WHY I am now a no red-meat vegetarian!!! My mom said I used to look up at dinner with the saddest little face at age 6 or so and ask things like, "Mommy, is this Snowball we are eating?"
I would probably be a vegetarian too! Poor pet cows. :LOL

#27 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ksmeadowlark
Hey, how about this? I am a native Texan who grew up on our own homegrown beef and that is WHY I am now a no red-meat vegetarian!!! My mom said I used to look up at dinner with the saddest little face at age 6 or so and ask things like, "Mommy, is this Snowball we are eating?" DS doesn't even like chicken or fish.
I have to admit the first time I sauntered into the freezer at the meat house on my grandparents cattle ranch I was a bit freaked-out. But it became commonplace and well, not to get into it, but I just don't have a problem eating meat philosophically . . . I do understand the benefits health-wise of eating little to none.
#28 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:32 AM

I answered yes to most of the questions. We bf and co-sleep (though I'm happy to report that my 6 and 8 year old have been in their own beds for a little over a month It was getting pretty crowded!) We also wear our babies and practice baby sign language.

Both my boys are circumcised, though and we do eat meat.

All three of my children have been unmedicated births, first in the hospital, last two at home.

My boys were selectively vaccinated but my dd is not vaxed.

We recycle and reuse as much as possible, thankfully, we also have a curbside program here which makes it easy.

We homeschool and also practice gentle discipline to the best of our ability (though lately I've been touchy and downright bitchy since my mom is ill. I've been yelling a lot and feel the best of my ability is pretty crappy right now I need to get focused on having a calm and loving voice at all times).
#29 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:35 AM

We do all the above but veggie---was up until my last pregnancy---completely craved red meat! Ah, anemia.....

I am also FRUGAL as all get out.

Home waterbirth, too. No wonder the neighbors think we're from Neptune...

I wanted to say that we're all doing the best that we can in the circumstances that we find ourselves in--and what we hope is best for our families. We are, hopefully, too tired to make judgements. When we know better---we do better!!! But do it *my* way---it's wonderful

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#30 of 138 Old 02-23-2003, 01:38 AM

Breast feed/EBF- my dd nursed longer than firemom's! currently tandem the boys

Family bed/co-sleep- yes

Intact sons (for those with boys!)- yes

Unmedicated childbirth- tried two planned unassisted- hell with that, lol, after the last 2 day back-labor fest ending in a c-section, i wanted an epidural last birth & finally got a great birth, vbac. god bless you if you don't want one/need one, but NO guilt here- for me, the hospital was more mellow than home, even with horse trough, candles, & mellow music. back labor sucks- it's like 24 hours+ of how i felt during transition (pre-epidural) in my last labor. no more for this mama. (i'm still bossy enough to demand no episiotomy, etc.- i picked my battles, & am quite happy with how things turned out.)

Vegetarian/vegan diet- nope, but largely organic, natural, & humanely raised meat. i wish more ethical (as opposed to religious) vegetarians would fight to have meat raised humanely, rather than just abstain- with greater numbers protesting factory farms (and supporting cruelty-free small farms), there might be faster results.

No-/selective vaccinations- yes

Environmentally conscious- to the extent i think there ought to be harsh punishment for litterbugs, yes.

Homeschooling/unschooling- un.
Gentle discipline- yes, but some days more gentle than others.

Other... nfp (with some barrier methods around ovulation if needed), baby-wearing, and gardening to raise my own organic veggies.

Suse

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page