Need some night time diaper help PLEASE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds2 is 20 months old. At night we usually use a pocket diaper stuffed with a regular standard prefold and a hemp super soaker doubler. He fits in the pockets with plenty of room to spare but not too big, there is a good snug fit at the waist and legs. He has leaked out of his diaper every night for about a week now. The inserts are not completely soaked from the front to the back but they are wet all of the way through in the front. We used to have this problem when he was younger and I solved it by putting a pair of soaker pants over his night combo. So I tried that and I am still waking up in a puddle. I don't know what is going wrong here but I am so irritated. Please give me some advice here!

Oh! I also wanted to add that there is no way the fleece is repelling. We use the same diapers for day and night and have no day problems. Except he poops too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 AM

i have no answers but want to know what others say.
#3 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

bump, help please?
#4 of 7 Old 05-08-2006, 09:43 PM

Hmmm, since there's no repelling and you have a snug fit... it could be that he's wetting so much/heavily at one time, and the inserts can't distribute the wetness fast enough, so it leaks out the side. Microfiber inserts distribute wetness faster than cotton and much quicker than hemp, so that might be an easy, inexpensive solution to try, first. You could double up 1 microfiber insert with 1 hemp insert, and put the microfiber insert closest to him (the microfiber will absorb wetness faster, pulling away from the middle, so it can be absorbed by the hemp).

Our daughter reached a point when she would leak through every pocket diaper we tried, no matter what we stuffed them with, and even with a wool soaker over the pocket diaper. We finally found Stacinator Deluxe fleece covers, and haven't ever had a leak with them. You could use the same prefold and hemp doubler first, with the fleece cover over it. We started using a super absorbent diaper, like an Under the Nile fitted with a fleece-topped doubler, with the Stacinator deluxe fleece cover over it, and it works great. No leaks for 12+ hours. HTH!
#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM

I was having the same problem with mine. I ended up going and buying some waterproofing stuff from target and sparyed it one them. I just turned the diaper inside out and sprayed the cover with it. Haven't had a preblem since I did it.
Tracie
#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 AM

I'm not crazy about microfibre, but I've found that I have to use it. Hemp or cotton sherpa inserts just don't have the absorbancy - or more specifically, the distribution of wetness mentioned above - that micro has. We've been using 2 microfibre MOE inserts on dd at night (she's 2.5 years old), while my ds (9 months) can use the organic cotton fleece simply because he wets less, and with less 'force'. I think if you were to get 2 or 3 MOE or cottonbabies (more absorbant) inserts, your problem might go away...
hth alison
#7 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM

I have only recently begun to have success at night.

I am putting my 8 month old SUPER soaker in a toddler (yes, toddler!) CPF with a hemp doubler topped with microfleece and a hemp trifold towel under that. Topped with either (depending on what is clean) longies or a garden-variety nylon bummis whisper pants in a size L (he normally takes a M).

His bum is GIGANTIC but so far, so good. No rash, no leaks, no more mess in my bed.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page