So I know sposie users tend to change less often.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And obviously not all sposie users change too infrequently. (just a disclaimer ) But why is it that soooo many people change like every 5 hours!? It's just gross! I was reading on my mainstream bb that one woman's "rash routine" was to change more frequently, "like every 3 hours". And she proceeded to say, "yeah I know it A LOT of diapers". Just think, if she changed at least every 3 hours on a regular basis, her dd might not get rashes! So one overnight diaper and one every 3 hours is "A LOT"...that's only like 4 or 5 diapers!

My sister uses sposies and recently she asked me why her DD had never gotten a rash. She thought it was just part of having a baby...dealing with lots of diaper rash. I told her, "Well, you change her regularly. For most babies, as long as they aren't allergic to the chemicals, that's enough." She didn't realize that lots of people only use like 3 or 4 diapers a day. Even my super mainstream sister was disgusted. I wish she used cloth but I have to be thankful she at least changes her kid when she's wet.

Do people you know do this? I've heard of people only using one diaper at night, one during the day and only an extra change if there's poop. I don't know, I think it's neglectful, especially if the poor babes have chronic diaper rash.

Rant over. :
#2 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Oh my goodness, I am totally with you. What is that all about?! I mean, I know sposies cost a lot, but is it really worth not changing for five hours? And how is that anyless gross(in the eyes of those who think cloth is gross) than cloth?
#3 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 PM

I use sposies and i can go 5 hrs w/o changing, but if I do, it's b/c my ds' haven't peed. Of course, they're older and don't go as frequently. When they were younger, they were changed when they went (if I knew/caught ti) or every 2-3 hrs (if I didn't catch it).

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#4 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:46 PM

ive been using sposies for 2 days (long story...septic problems hopefully will be fixed soon), and i dont know when to change him. i hear him poop so i know about that but i cant tell when hes wet. this mornig i changed his diaper b/c he was asleep for 8-9 hours or so but i still couldnt tell he was wet. and i KNOW he was b/c hes only 4 months old and nurses on demand at night.
i cant wait to get back to my cloth.
#5 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:52 PM

LOL...ok, um...what do you ladies do at night then? I'm not saying it's not a little ick, but my DS goes from 11 PM to 9 AM in the same diaper because he's sleeping. Definately longer than 5 hours. Heck, he's gone 5 hours in a fuzzi bunz if we're travelling too (not if he was poopy obviously) and he isn't even saturated when I change him--the insert's only 1/3 wet. Then again, he's a little older...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM

I've heard mother talking about how many hours certain sposies will hold saying "With pampers I can go 5-6 hours before it leaks." !! But I do have a friend who uses cloth recently said she only changes her DD ever 4-5 hours.

That said I don't usually change my DS but once in the night. I will change him if I wake up and he isn't already on my boob. If I wake him too much he wants to play and has trouble getting back to sleep.
#7 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM

Dh said he jsut saw a diaper commercial (Pampers I think) that claims that now you can let your child go 12 hours without changing.....that's 2 diapers a day!! That's 12 hours worth of bodily fluids and elimination, YUK!....I guess if you leave them in their bouncy chair and turn it to vibrate with your remote control, you could pretend you just don't even have a kid?!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual
Dh said he jsut saw a diaper commercial (Pampers I think) that claims that now you can let your child go 12 hours without changing.....that's 2 diapers a day!! That's 12 hours worth of bodily fluids and elimination, YUK!....I guess if you leave them in their bouncy chair and turn it to vibrate with your remote control, you could pretend you just don't even have a kid?!
Wow! That is absolutely disgusting.

When dd wore them we checked her pants at certain times throughout the day- after waking, after feedings, whenever we thought there might be something. We would never have knowingly left her in a wet or poopy diaper for any longer than we had to. I can't imagine purposefully leaving your child sit in that stuff for hours and kind of bragging about it.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual
Dont forget the Podee full of Formula.

Kid needs to eat too ya know.
#10 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

and FTR: Whenever I used/Use Sposies, I know when she goes. they are so trim that wetness makes them kinda poof up. So give a grope between the legs and if it feels like jello, they've peed.
#11 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Well they hold a lot more, for starters, but yeah- it's gross to wait too long. I think because they hold more, there's an attitude that it's not there to catch the pee and then be changed, it's there to hold it. It's kind of weird. When ds1 was older and resisted diaper changes there were some days where we went too long, I admit. But I never got people who would knowingly let their kid sit in poop even or not change them when there was no resistance.
#12 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:26 PM

My SIL doesn't change her kids. I can barely stand to hold my nieces because they always feel like they're wearing hot jello and they stink like pee. (No, I can't offer to change them - long story). She won't even let her oldest (3 in April) potty train even though she's been asking about the potty and has been very potty aware since before she was 2. Ew, ew, ew. Thanks for the chance to rant! :
#13 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:27 PM

This has been a constant issue for me when trying to convince someone to choose cloth. I almost don't even bother anymore. One mom told me she went home and worked it out in a spreadsheet with her husband, and since they use the Walmart brand and only use 4 diapers a day, they won't save money using Fuzzi Bunz or even one-sized diapers (she definitely wouldn't consider prefolds/pins).
argh!
#14 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM

ewwwww!

But then I've never gotten the argument that some like to use saying...well I would use cloth but you have to change them so much more often.

where's that head hitting the brick smiley???
#15 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisraeltax
ive been using sposies for 2 days (long story...septic problems hopefully will be fixed soon), and i dont know when to change him. i hear him poop so i know about that but i cant tell when hes wet. this mornig i changed his diaper b/c he was asleep for 8-9 hours or so but i still couldnt tell he was wet. and i KNOW he was b/c hes only 4 months old and nurses on demand at night.
i cant wait to get back to my cloth.
You can usually tell they are wet a couple of ways:

- sight: they usually stick out more in the front and depending on the brand you can sometimes tell a difference in the color

- feel: this is probably the easiest. A disposable diaper feels much more "crunchy" when it's dry and a lot more jelly/squishy (and by default less crunchy) when it's wet. Oh, and by feel I mean by the outside of the diaper (but you probably already figured that part out). :0)

As to frequency, I run into this problem a lot with moms who use our church nursery. We established a new diaper changing policy this year that required workers to check diapers twice during the church service and change if the diaper was wet/soiled. BOY - did we have a lot of moms upset about that one. They ONLY wanted their child's diaper changed if it was poopy. I never understood that...and I'm speaking as a disposable user (until recently).
#16 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM

i admit that i usually dont change E during the night time either, in cloth. fb's usually last that long for him, and thats not being soaked.

im gettig the hang of the sposies (unfortuantely) but then dh will look at a diaper and ask "do you really need to change him right now". well, its been like 2 hours, so i say yes.

anyone seen those kids that have the diapers falling off of them they are so heavy? one of my friends waited until that happened before she changed them.
#17 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 11:22 PM

I sposie full time right now, and we change about 6 times/day for wet dipes, and every time he poops, which adds up to about 10 dipes/day. It's TONS of diapers. I guess though that he does go overnight for 10 hours w/out a change, but he's super ready to get out of that dipe in the mornign!
#18 of 66 Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 PM

my kids do go through the night without a change. But oh MY you should see how huge their dipey booties are!!!!

I use micro lined dipes to keep them dry.
#19 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 AM

Hm, I was told (by a friend with an early childhood ed degree and day-care experience) that you are supposed to change them every two hours whether they're leaking/soaked or not. I thought that was just a standard rule of thumb, but maybe not everyone is as well informed as she is.
#20 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 AM

Most of my sposie using friends will admit without shame that they only change 4 times a day (longer if it still has "room" ). When they wake in the morning, after each nap, and before bed. Usually waiting for the poop before they change them. and these are my AP, otherwise NFL friends.

I didn't change as much in sposies as I didn't cloth but I still changed at least 6 times a day (which is about every 2 hours) and when I do daycare I change every 2 hours regardless of if they are soiled and any time they poop.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#21 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 01:59 AM

nak

i am just now transitioning to cloth, getting the hang of changing more frequently.

my babe simply does not pee at night. he sleeps deeply, i check him when he is in bed nursing, and he is always dry as a bone.

but come morning, lookout. he is usually a regular pee machine till about 12 o'clock in the day.
#22 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 02:28 AM

Strage but true I'm the opposite with cloth I now tend to change about every 2.3-3 hours or if messy shes 3.5 so doesn't wet very often but on the rare occasion shes in a sposie I change at least on the hour more like ever 30-45 because as soon as her pee mixes with the chemicals in the sposie yikes Rash! They are soo not worth it here

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#23 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 AM

When my dds turned 2 they were wetting less and only went through about 4 diapers a day. BUT one of those was a 12 hour diaper at night, the other three were during the day. It's not like I was letting them sit in it all day long-- they just didn't wet that often as they got older. I'm talking about both cloth and sposie (I used sposie at the end of Nitara's diaper days-- long story). Both of my girls were able to sleep in cloth diapers for 12 hours starting very early on. Nitara eventually needed night sposies because of her tube-feeding-- lots of liquid-- but Abi never needed night time sposies. She did just fine in a ME OS with no extra inserts! And it lasted all night!

I think it's very, very gross that people don't change more often when they are younger though!! I see saggy soggy diapers all the time. It's gross to see a child with a diaper hanging out one leg of her shorts because it's so puffed up. Blech! When we were doing sposies it started to really stink after a couple of hours. I probably changed her more often than cloth because I could smell it.

BTW when I was buying sposies once, I asked this mom who was in that aisle if the generic was as good as the name brand. She said, "Yeah, they work great. There are days I forget to change him all day long, and it still doesn't leak." !!!

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#24 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 11:09 AM

I keep one diaper on all night but I stuff it so it's not half wet! My kids don't poop at night. I was reading a thread (maybe the same one?) and one woman didn't change her kid before/after naps, which irritated me. I guess I change on a schedule, and that includes the privilege of going down for a nap clean, fed and with a clean diaper on. And when they wake up, they get changed again no matter what. Her exact wording was "he gets changed first thing in the morning and then again after his nap, if he's wet enough"

I just love making fun of other people. I'm sure they all make fun of me, too. I love that cloth diapers are "free" and I can just use them over and over... but then again so are disposables for me... since people keep buying them for me thinking we're in dire straits I save them, I have a big supply in the closet for vacations and such... and I do change on the same schedule. I'll have a ton leftover to donate when I'm done, I'm sure
#25 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 12:22 PM

My DD is 23 months and has only had one diaper rash. We use disposable currently (because only recently I have been convinced to try cloth).

The one diaper rash was when she started daycare and they were changing her every 2 hours. The reason the rash occured had nothing to do with the daipers really but the wipes.

The baby wipes were very wet and they used too many, thus the wipe solution was left on my DD and was quite wet, then they put the diaper on, essentially sealing in the moisture. The solution is thicker than water and my theory is it didn't soak into the diaper very quickly and it stayed in contact with the skin thus the diaper rash. So I don't really believe that changing diapers more often during the day will prevent diaper rash as much as I believe that using less wet baby wipes or a wet washcloth will prevent a rash.

Maggie
#26 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 PM

A former "friend" of mine once proudly told me that she made her son pee at least 3 times per diaper because they were just too damned expensive. Eww. And she'd go on a day trip, two to three hours from home each way, plus activities.... and not even bring a diaper bag for him. If he pooped, she'd stop and buy a pack of diapers and wipes, but that's it. I babysat him once for about 36 hours (overnight obviously), and she only left like 5 diapers. Poor kid.
#27 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So I don't really believe that changing diapers more often during the day will prevent diaper rash as much as I believe that using less wet baby wipes or a wet washcloth will prevent a rash.
We rarely use disposable wipes only cloth and plain water but my DD will get horrid rashes from disposables if is on her for any length of time. I use disposables wipes when were on the go papmpers sensitive but only is shes had a messy diaper The only time I use them is once a year when we go visit my grandparents for a few days because of the poor area and lack of and sort of laundry facility ect (still have to boil or get buy water for drinking from flood waters) I take disposables huggies ultra trim the only DD that she doen't totally break our with I lather her bum with welda (sp?) diaper guard or unpetrolum and still change at least on the hour or she gets horrible bleeding welts

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#28 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 PM

I soooo know what you mean. I talked to this girl woh "Has to do cloth diapers, b/c her DD's allergic to the 'regular' ones, and is getting rashes and yeast infections" (as the mom makes a disgusted face) but I dont want to b/c they are sooooo gross!
Me: Oh really? you think so? I think it's gross to let your kid sit in bleach all day, plus its waay cheaper, how much do you spend a month in diapers....
Her: $200,
Me: WOw! that's how much I'll spend on DS's whole time in diapers, plus the next one.
Her: Well, my DS gets 6 packs of pull-ups and my DD geta a 74-pack of dipes.
Me: Oh really? wow, most babies make 10-12 dipes a day.
Her: Well, she makes only 8 or so.
Me: that's interesting, because 8 x 30 = a lot more than 74, so 74 divided by 30 = about 2 1/2! Only change her 2-3 times a day? Gee, that's what I call gross......

This person has not called me since lol....sorry to be rude lady, but I can't close my mouth if there's something in it!! (This is the same girl who can't exercise b/c her preg is "high-risk" due to having 3 m/c. but she can smoke 3 packs of cigs a day?? And who "might breastfeed this one, but not on the tit"!! Some people cannot be helped.....)
#29 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think I ONCE let my DD stay in the same diaper for about 12 hours- I was moving and pg and completely overwhelmed (or was I moving and newly single with 2 toddlers in diapers and completely overwhelmed?) and I felt horrible when I realized she'd only gone through 2 diapers in 24 hours!

I can't imagine somebody doing that on purpose. I can think of only 1 valid reason to intentionally use only 2-3 diapers in 24 hours: potty training/EC!!!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#30 of 66 Old 05-18-2006, 07:30 PM

When DD was younger, we'd go through probably about 12 diapers day. (We started in 'sposies and then changed to cloth)

Now that she's older, she doesn't pee as frequently. We go through about 6 diapers a day (including one all nighter). It is not like she's sitting in a soaking wet dipe, but we only change on average every 3 hours.

I've even kept the same (cloth) dipe on DD for over 6 hours before. Everytime I checked her, she was still bone-dry. No need to change her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page