Kushies now available at Walmart!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in another group, but I thought I would here too.

This is so crazy to see them at Walmart! They are selling them so cheap too, $9.25 LESS than Kelly's closet and other online stores.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4601012

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...ushies&ic=20_0

ETA: I am not overly joyfull that Walmart now sells these diapers. I understand that this will be a big hit against WAHM's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 04:48 PM

great, the brick and mortar shops are all closed, so lets undercut the WAHM's online with cloth diapers....sheeeesh. these guys are amazing. who makes Kushies? why would a 'green' product sell to Walmart anyway (I was so glad when Seventh Gen turned down Walmart)

eta: uh oh, i thought your tone was 'outraged' but I see this is a 'pat on the back for walmart' thread.....I am outta here
#3 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 PM

ya I bought some there yesterday. I thought they were reasonably priced. I actually just got a couple diaper covers and a couple swimsuits(can I use these as diaper covers cuz they sure are the cutest little things??)

My mom also thought I should have some fold it yourself diapers with pins so I got some of those too.

Ok...something else...

I have Kooshies diaper liners (from sears) and Kushies diaper covers.(from walmart) Are these the same company?? just spelled differently?

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#4 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel
great, the brick and mortar shops are all closed, so lets undercut the WAHM's online with cloth diapers....sheeeesh. these guys are amazing. who makes Kushies? why would a 'green' product sell to Walmart anyway (I was so glad when Seventh Gen turned down Walmart)

eta: uh oh, i thought your tone was 'outraged' but I see this is a 'pat on the back for walmart' thread.....I am outta here
ITA, it is hard enough for these WAHMs to compete against each other in an effort to support thier families financially while staying at home now they have to complete with Wal-Mart undercutting them with thier low prices.

I understand the excitement of seeing cloth diapers at the most mainstream store in the world but it really upsets me that WAHMs are probably losing business over this.
#5 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 05:29 PM

I'm no fan of W-Mart.

But as a diaper-selling WAHM, I can say that I DO NOT MIND if they sell Kushies (yep, the same as Kooshies). I'm delighted that cloth diapers that aren't crappy thin burp rags are in a place where moms can get to them. A lot of women don't have credit cards or computers or any idea how to purchase something that's not at the WalMart accessible by public transportation.

If I go out of business because cloth diapers go mainstream, that'd be a dream come true!
#6 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Dez

at least now other mothers can get an idea of what kind of cloth diapers there are now rather than just the gerbers, maybe then they'll come online and looke too. I had no idea about cloth diapers until i came online.
#7 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think its great personally and honestly for those who really start a CD joourney and discover all the online options and wonderfull whams Kushies are NOT going to cause them to go outta bussiness. Like the PP said its great somewhat decent cloth options are being avaiable for the general masses.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#8 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 05:56 PM

well in canada we have always been able to buy kushies (or kooshies) aio's and flannel fitteds at sears. I don't think walmart is that cheap on those anyway, sears sells them for 49.99 reg price (and often has sales) and that's canadian dollars.

but I really think its wonderful that better quality cloth diapers are available in stores... I have been trying to get our local baby boutique to carry fuzzi bunz or swaddlebees for months now but she just doesn't think people will spend that much on a diaper
#9 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

MelMel, I am not giving WalMart a pat on the back. I know what this means for WAHM's. I just closed my online store in March. There is no way that I could ever compete against Walmart. Their prices are barely above wholesale. I think that the US WAHMs selling Kushies are going to have to drop these diapers from their line eventually because why would most people pay $10 more for the same diapers.

That said, I do like that better cloth diapers are becoming available to the mainstream. But I feel sorry for the other stores that will lose business because of it.
#10 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM

so are they only available online? It looks like it said online only but I wasn't sure.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 PM

i'm wondering too. can you buy them right at the stores?
#12 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 06:52 PM

I think that when brick and morter stores carry poor quality cloth diapers they are actually doing sposie companies a favor because folks try them, give up and them tell others how crappy cloth diaper are.

I know that kushies work OK for some folks but not having them readily available motivates people to look online and get some CD education in the process so that they are more likely to succeed.
#13 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 07:06 PM

WOW!! i cant believe it! this is good and bad
#14 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 10:18 PM

I don't think WAHMs will lose much business. I mean, do I think Kelly's Closet etc. should drop Kushies from their line, yes. I do. But WAHMs fulfill a niche market for people who want more original, special diapers, or who are willing to pay more $$$ for an expensive brand like Fuzzibunz, and who are motivated to find the best. And most WAHMs, because they are members of on-line communities, have their fingers on the pulse of the cding world and what the new hot thing is far more than big distributors like Walmart, which gives them an edge. They also tend to have loyal followings from what I've seen. Being small gives them flexibility, you know?

I disagree that not having Kushies as easily available will somehow force people to look for more cding options. The motivated will always seek better alternatives. The unmotivated won't. It's human nature. At least this way, women who aren't net-savvy or don't want to buy online or whatever, have a chance to try a decent cloth product. I see Kushies for cding as like the Sears for attachment parenting - maybe not the best example of either thing out there, but easily digestable for the masses and most importantly, not too expensive.
#15 of 98 Old 05-26-2006, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanymom
That said, I do like that better cloth diapers are becoming available to the mainstream. But I feel sorry for the other stores that will lose business because of it.
I feel the same way. I think this should be viewed as a mixed blessing. Maybe the more mainstream mama's who are sposie users will buy these and do some research here online and delve into the world of wahm diapers. If cloth goes mainstream, we'll have wahm's making more, becoming bigger, and shopping at wahm's will BECOME the norm. Yes it's entirely possible that they may lose business because Kushies are available at wal-mart now and that truly is sad. But maybe that's for us to step in to help. Maybe more people will start getting into cloth by buying the kushies and then we, as cloth diapering experts , will be able to mention all these great wahm's as a viable option for beautiful pieces of diapering art. It could be a good thing!

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#16 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 12:58 AM

I would be fairly surprised if wal-mart sold many kushies....
#17 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 01:09 AM

walmart is making a huge effort to go more "green" not, obviously, becuase they care about the earth but because they want to win over the more (supposedly) upscale Target shoppers. ugh. walmart SUCKS! really, i think they are just awful. glad some people can get their cloth now and i know not everyone has access to a computer but still...it's all part of their evil plan to take over the world. only slight exageration there.
#18 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Great...it was bad enough that other WAHMs undercut the smaller WAHMS....now Walmart is doing the same. I might as well close shop because no way can I compete... Trust me, many of the people I've seen are looking for the cheapest way to CD and they want the absolute lowest price possible at the expense of the WAHM--I think "mainstream" cloth diapers are going to really hurt business. It was bad enough when Bumkins were available mainstream...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#19 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:02 AM

Just think how cool Targets CD's will be!
#20 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca
I don't think WAHMs will lose much business. I mean, do I think Kelly's Closet etc. should drop Kushies from their line, yes. I do. But WAHMs fulfill a niche market for people who want more original, special diapers, or who are willing to pay more $$$ for an expensive brand like Fuzzibunz, and who are motivated to find the best. And most WAHMs, because they are members of on-line communities, have their fingers on the pulse of the cding world and what the new hot thing is far more than big distributors like Walmart, which gives them an edge. They also tend to have loyal followings from what I've seen. Being small gives them flexibility, you know?

I disagree that not having Kushies as easily available will somehow force people to look for more cding options. The motivated will always seek better alternatives. The unmotivated won't. It's human nature. At least this way, women who aren't net-savvy or don't want to buy online or whatever, have a chance to try a decent cloth product. I see Kushies for cding as like the Sears for attachment parenting - maybe not the best example of either thing out there, but easily digestable for the masses and most importantly, not too expensive.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#21 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Trust me, many of the people I've seen are looking for the cheapest way to CD
And is this a problem? not to undercut WHAMS I own a few and payed on avearage $18 a piece for them (AIO's and fitted) which I'm assuming is a fair price fora nice WHAM diaper. I'm glad I could support even if just a bit and if I had the money I might support even more but reality is I CD because its whats best for DD and for cost. I buy from CD on line stores not big companies but I buy cheap (prefolds and wraps) I also research I want to buy from a company that has some reliable history I like friendly service but I also like a good deal its a competitive world. I'd assume the larger WHAMS started out small and I really don't see why they should be punished for being successful. (very diffrent from say the icky stuff that goes on at WAlmart ect)

Quote:
I agree with this as well before DD was born I bought a whole bunch of gerbers the flats the DSQ prefolds the really icky onee with the assorbent layer vinyl covers and pins because I knew I wanted to CD but honestly had NO clue there were other choices after all these gerbers wre what the stores had : DD wa born 5lbs 10oz when she came home everything was HUGE one her the newborn pants can up over her head and they leaked like crazy Well I though hey wouldn't it be cool if somone invented a CD that worked like a disposable and I started to reasearch at the time I did it there was a lot of talk and positive talk on the kushie brand of diapers so after some research and talking with a company (choosey diapers) I odered some kushie AIO's and some basic kushie fitted some fleece topped hemp doublers and Bummi whisper pants. I got my order I loved the look of the AIOs thought they were soo addorable and cool adnd the little flannel diapers were soo cute. Of course the AIOs leaked like crazy but I did like the fitted and the pull one pants were simple to use. Soon though I wondered if there was something better the diapers were getting sopping wet soo soon I thought there must be something better and researched again. Finially I ordered from the baby bunz some snuggle up diapers Nikky covers Bummi SWW cotton prefolds bumkins AIO's amd fuzzi bunz and found how cool and reliable and if done right affordable CD's could be.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#22 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 05:33 AM

Hmmm. I know Wal-Mart is greatly hated for some valid reasons, but I'm kind of excited.

You see, this Wednesday I received a note from my diaper service telling me this will be my last delivery because they will no longer service my area. I have to return all of my diapers Tuesday night. I have no diapers of my own.

B/c we had the service, we never had to figure out what kind of diapers, etc, to use. Now I'm taking a crash course, and at the same time, we've been ECing for 5 months now and I don't think she'll be in CDs for more than a few more months. We have some training pants, but they leak so we still need some diapers for overnight and errands. And if all of that isn't enough, we're going out of town next week.

I don't want to spend a lot of money on diapers for a couple of months; I certainly don't have time to research diapers, order them, and still have some by Tuesday night. If I can pick up 5 at W-M 10 minutes from my house, I have a temporary solution. I don't really care if CD snobs look down on my Kushies choice, so long as DD doesn't have to be in disposables.

And like many pps have noted, I think that making these available to the general public will help CD be more accepted and will inspire more women to start looking online for more CD options. (I have to admit I'm surprised about Sears carrying them. I worked in their kids department for 5 years, and the only thing we carried when I was there were the Gerbers. Apparently they're doing one thing right, even if it is the only thing!)

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#23 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I cloth diaper because it's better for my son and for the planet, not to support WAHM's. Saying that, all my diapers were bought from WAHM's, and many cost over $20 each. I started of with Bumpkins 7 yrs ago (sold in a regular store in England!!!!!) and then went on to mammamade cloth. Yes, there are many parents who will stick to (mainstream) store bought diapers but for every 3 that first buy in such a store, there will be one who thinks "thiese are good, but I wonder if there is anything else?" and will move on to WAHM's stores online.

When Walgreens (the equivilant to Boots the Chemist in the UK where I bought my first diapers) start selling Bumpkins or Kushies then I will jump up and down for joy!

You need to look at the larger picture here, the planet needs help big time! Cloth diapers are such a small step in the right direction, and the more people who see them in use and start using them the better!
#24 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I am not so worried about the WAHM's who design their own diapers and have their own brand. I am concerned for the WAHM's who buy from Kushies to resale. I know of a few stores that carry Kushies products as their main items. It is these ppl I am talking about that will loose business.

Sears and Toys R US in Canada have carried Kushies for a long time. This is just the first time that a large US store chain has carried a cloth diaper other than Gerber diapers. I don't think it will be much longer before other stores start doing the same thing. Normally if Walmart starts something, others follow.

I wonder what diaper brand will be the next to sit on the Walmart shelves??
#25 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca
I mean, do I think Kelly's Closet etc. should drop Kushies from their line, yes. I do.
Wha?

If KC, the site from which we buy most of everything, stopped selling Kushies, then I WOULD be tempted to buy from walmart. Why on earth would you want a CD site to stop selling a brand of CDs?

BrendaW, loved your post.

Come on, these are only the "ultras"...not even the AIOs which is what we've used for a year as nighttime dipes (the same 6) and they've been WONDERFUL.

But I don't even like going INto walmart, it's just unpleasant in every way. Their prices (except for cheapie picture frames on occasion) just don't make up for the "ambience".

Yet another thought...Kushies have been available at some Babies R Us stores for ages, and are available online (babiesrus.com = amazon.com), but that's just been seen as a help. I don't buy them there b/c they are $10 more (online, at least, my BRU doesn't carry them) than at KC...ah, maybe that's why no one complains...
#26 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:10 PM

I agree with th PP but I know of very few if any CD mommy's who only buy one brand of CD most of us have a variety to fit out needs and umm hobby Like for me just in my what do I actually used each day I use prefolds pockets two diffrent types of covers fasteners and doublers I prefer to buy as much as I can from one place especially if I'm paying shipping. I mostly shop at the baby bunz or babyworks and thanksmama because they carry the majority of what I'm looking for and have excellent friendly service.

Quote:
Come on, these are only the "ultras"...not even the AIOs
Actually the ultras are the AIO's http://babybungalow.com/kuuldi5pat.html

#27 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:12 PM

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#28 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom
I agree with th PP but I know of very few if any CD mommy's who only buy one brand of CD most of us have a variety to fit out needs and umm hobby Like for me just in my what do I actually used each day I use prefolds pockets two diffrent types of covers fasteners and doublers I prefer to buy as much as I can from one place especially if I'm paying shipping. I mostly shop at the baby bunz or babyworks and thanksmama because they carry the majority of what I'm looking for and have excellent friendly service.

Actually the ultras are the AIO's http://babybungalow.com/kuuldi5pat.html

But the picture they show isn't what we've ever seen....hmm Eh, it's been so long since we bought them (like I said, they are lasting and lasting and lasting).

And that's just what we use at night. At day, we're all over the place.
#29 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:27 PM

I don't like Wal-Mart but I'm glad that there are some better quality diapers out there for people to buy. The Gerber diapers are awful unless you double or triple them up. Kushies are not that great as far as diaper go either. I wonder if their Wal-Mart version of them is going to be even cheaper than the current version, since Wal-Mart cuts prices by cutting quality materials and workmanship.

There are such better products out there. I don't think that Wal-Mart selling Kushies is going to put WAHM's out of business. OTOH for very low income people who don't have computers or credit cards (as someone pointed out) it could be just the product that encourages them to use Kushis vs. cheap sposies. And if there's one more family that uses cloth, that's a good thing.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#30 of 98 Old 05-27-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
But the picture they show isn't what we've ever seen....hmm Eh, it's been so long since we bought them (like I said, they are lasting and lasting and lasting).

And that's just what we use at night. At day, we're all over the place.
Humm well as far as I know kushies sells three kinds (plus their flannel prefolds) the basics which is just a thin flannel fitted with velcro there Classic which a a sturdier fitted with a waterproof inner layer and sewn in doubler flap and there Ultra there AIO's. I don't so much miind there Ultra once my child grew and was past the BF stage but they leaked horriblily as an infant I also don't care for the vinyl its not breathable which is hard in the AZ heat. I did like the simple style though
Here is the products listed right from there sight the ultrras are the AIO's is this what you have http://www.kushies.com/Cataloque/diapers/diapers.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page