Help! My newborn pees too much for her VB AIOs! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK, I *know* that there is nothing wrong with these dipes. They were made by Sunshine at Flutterby Baby. The sewing is flawless. They are fleece-topped hemp QDs. I think my sweet girl is just an incredible supersoaker, she only weighs 7 lbs 3 oz and she is completely soaking these dipes in about 3 hours, so much so that they leak at the legs

I'm loving the AIO thing, I don't want to give that up, although I might be willing to do pockets. What should I try? Small Rumpsters? Size 1 FCBs? Swaddlebees? I think she is too petite for a small FB. Any thoughts?
#2 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Honestly I'd change more often. In the newborn stage we pretty much changed before and ussually after each feeding and averaged at least 15 diapers a day and that was with disposables : I try changing every 1.5-2 hours tops and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#3 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree with the poster above me, and I don't think there is anything wrong with the diapers themselves. I do want to add that changing baby frequently is the best way to avoid leaks, rashes and frustration on your part-plus it will keep baby happy too. It does require more diapers per day-but in my opinion it is preferable to change baby at every pee or poop and use more diapers.
As a newborn, I changed at least 18-20 diapers a day............
#4 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 AM

Add a doubler? Otherwise I have no advice.

I think it is hard to find enough absorption for newborns. They pee A LOT (must be the liquid diet ), their diapers are small and they sleep so much it is difficult to change them frequently.

Congratulations btw.
#5 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Most all AIOs last about 3 hours. When my dd was a newborn she would soak VB AIOs in 2 hours or less. That's just newborns

Now she is 13 months old and most of her AIOs last her about 3 hours and she isn't a heavywetter at all

Pocket AIOs can go longer if you want to go with that option
#6 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM

We had the same experience - we just had to change super-often...

Aren't they just the most adorable things though? Those VB AIOs are so precious on a brand new babe...
#7 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 PM

I agree with everyone else. Change her more often. I usually changed my son at least no less than ever 2 hours.
#8 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM

I personally have not fallen in love with my very baby aios, I thought I would but i haven't. I only have two and they are the least used diapers in my stash. I wouldn't leave ds in it for more than on hour at a time because either they leak or his bottom gets totally soaked. The only time ds pooh in one it leaked also. Anyway, I would change more often or go to pockets. I use mostly prefolds and pockets. Micky
#9 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback!

My ds did not wet very much as a newborn (he became a serious supersoaker later on), so I didn't realize that newborns typically pee huge amounts. I have been changing her at every poo, but I guess I will have to step it up. She dcoes sleep 20 hours/day, so hopefully I can change her in her sleep. I think I'll go try it right now...

They certainly are cute diapers! I have 4 embroidered ones and 7 plain ones. The embroidery option is what got me to try VBs in the first place. My ds wore cheap Kushies AIOs at this stage, but she pees through those in about 3 seconds
#10 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM

yeah I would change more often too. We used them exclusively for E as a newborn and they were the perfect fit. She did sometimes pee out of them....with one pee! Maybe you can try a hemp doubler!? That said, I'm using SB pockets exclusively for this new baby...just because I sold off my VBs thinking it would be a long time before another baby joined our family!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#11 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 09:32 PM

agree with the above. Its nice when they last a while but its not exactly realistic, especially for a newborn.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#12 of 14 Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 PM

My baby has been in Small VB AIOs since she was about 2.5 months old (I got birdseye and sewn-in soakers, from Flutterby too). She's 4 months now and they are still very dependable up to about 3-4 hours. However, in my experience the best performing AIO I've used (and I've tried a lot!) is Rumpsters. They are also very trim and made from organic hemp, but unfortunately they are expensive too. DD is about 13 pounds and fits a size S on almost the tightest setting, so I don't know if they would fit a newborn very well.

I suggest you try a doubler with the VBs—I always use the doublers that came with mine. And like everybody says, just try changing a little more often!
#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmm, maybe I should stick with the small VBs for now, and sell my medium VBs to help cover the cost of some small Rumpsters. My ds had a couple of the first-generation Rumpsters and I wasn't too thrilled with them, but I heard the newer version is a big improvement.
#14 of 14 Old 05-31-2006, 06:41 PM

We switched to FB for that same reason. I'd nurse ds and lay him down. He'd wake 2 hrs later and I'd have to change his outfit and the sheets. Every time. Ugh. With pockets I can put extra stuffing right up front (he sleeps on his tummy).

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page