Help for chunky baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is probably 22 lbs. She is 8 mos old

Her tummy is 21 inches, thigh is 12 inches.

No diaper we have tried works. Most leave red marks on her back (the elastic on the waist part) or thighs (again, elastic)

She has grown out of mommy's touch and wonderoos

I want to use So Simple with plain old prefolds and pins, but am nervous as she is VERY active and has never stayed stilll for a change. I dont want to stick her with the pins.

I dont see how I could use a snappi as she always rolls over and I end up changing her while she is on her tummy (sorta a backwards change) Unless I could do the prefold so the snappi was on her bottom instead of her front...???)

Any other moms of chubby babies? What do you use?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 02:30 PM

My baby is not as big as yours but he is over 23 pounds and is 9 months old. So far we use large FBs or HH pockets.

As for the rolling over…both my babies were at one time major wigglers. It took less then a week for both by DH and I to get them to stop (for the most part). Every time we changed them and they started to wiggle we would put our hand on their chest and tell them No wiggling. We also give them (and still do for the youngest) something to play with and/or make major eye contact and funny faces/ noises.

Good luck on your quest. I look forward to what other Moms have to say. I’m in the process of trying new CDs. The FBs and HHs work great for us, I just want to try new things.
#3 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 04:34 PM

Have you tried BumGenius?

I just ordered my first 3. My DD is only a month old but already pushing 12 lbs. I saw my future and it involved buying every size dipe if she continues growing at this rate. Wanted to try a one-size dipe.

We put her in the BG last night and it was fantastic. The fit was good, and she has really chunky legs but no red marks, no sign she had even had dipe on hardly. Her Kissaluv size Os leave some marks around the legs, but this didnt.

She was completely dry also and all the wetness was contained in the insert. She slept for 6 hours straight. I think this had something to do with being so comfortable.

Another reason I suggest the BumGenius is because the aplix with stretchy tabs is very close to how sposies work. There is a video on their website of someone diapering a wiggly wiggly toddler with a BG and its major selling point for me.

Ive never had a ton of success getting a good fit with snaps. My Kissaluvs Size O seem to fit best with one side snapped further in than the other....which annoys me.

Again, I've only been CDing for a month now as DD is quite young, but she barely moves on the changing table and I find snaps a challenge to get a good fit. I think I will move into BGs for our next dipe and that will hopefully last us the whole time she is in diapers.

Ive heard criticism about the outer layer of the BG (that its too plasticy). It does feel a bit like a shower cap, but its functional and clothes slide over it easily.... Doesn't bother me. Its not the part that touches the baby anyhow.

Also, they have a money back guarantee so you can try it for 14 days and see what you think.

Anyhow, best of luck!
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#4 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, i have some BG but dd wiggles so much the aplixgets undone and scratches her skin

i used to love them though!!

she is also on the largest size for them... they leave red marks on her back, from the elastic. i have one HH that does that too, and one HH that does not. I have thought about cutting the elastic in the HH, but I dont want to pay $15 for a diap and then modify it myself...
#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 04:53 PM

I wonder about this too! I worry about it happening to me as my little chunk is 4 months now and (she gets weighed tommorrow) but I am guessing she is pushing 16 pounds already!! I have a bumgenius and it does pretty good. Still fits her great and we are still using the smallest setting!! We have moved to the middle setting on the wonderoos already though! However the one pocket that has come to be my fav is the Happy Heiny we have! It fits her beautifully!! I am sad we only have one though!! Hopefully I will be able to get her some more of those in the future. Gotta wait till hubby gets over the shock of all the money I have spent on diapers to get us started!! lol!!
#6 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 04:54 PM

When my son was at his chunkiest --- and he was very chunky --probably like yours, we had to use xlarge happy heinys or xlarge ella's pockets. Nothing else worked. We tried xlarge fuzzi bunz as well, but they still left marks on his legs. He has since trimmed down quite a bit since he is up and running now and he is back into a large fuzzi bunz on the middle snap setting. But during the chunky time, I had to invest in several xlarge diapers. Try ones without leg casings as sometimes its those casings that leave the red marks on the legs.
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#7 of 7 Old 06-04-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

what about polar bummis???

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page