Diaper Junkies Unite! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2006, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is getting expensive!

You know, I started out using cloth thinking how much money it was going to save me. I splurged on trying lots of different types for ds1, knowing I'd get my money's worth by re-using them with future babies.

Now ds2 is here, and I've had to readjust my expectations. Ds1 is a long kid with skinny legs. Ds2 is even longer, but very solid, with chunky legs. And, he's a heavy wetter. The diapers/covers that worked with ds1 just don't quite cut it for ds2. And, then I found I needed more covers because my 3.5 month old baby and my 2 1/2 year old are wearing the SAME SIZE (although, they are getting a bit small lengthwise for ds1, so I need to get more of the next size up.)

It's a good think my primary reason for buying cds wasn't cost savings. Truth to tell, I actually like having good excuses to try and buy new diapers. Of course, if I just stuck to my prefolds, I wouldn't be having this problem. But, I do so like to have some fitteds/AIOs. And dh prefers them too, so he can't get too annoyed at the new diaper purchases. There's a reason he calls me diaper junkie.

Okay, diaper junkies, let's hear your stories, and all your reasons for buying just "one more" diaper!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2006, 03:04 PM
MCR

I used the "money saving excuse on Dh. :
He bought it LOL.
I am building a new stash. I have stuff from my older kids, but theres too many new, cute diapers out there, plus I'm lazy and don't want seperate dipes, covers this time. So I finally took the plung and ordered Wonderoos, swaddlebees, FuzziBunz, Magic alls. and Little lambs. I love them all.
I have plenty in my stash, and can go full time once the Fuzzi Bunz arrive. But I can't help myself and keep looking, especially if there is a sale, or clearance. Top that with free shipping and I'm hooked.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:21 PM

With my first, I used the "Oh, I can use these for more kids" and with my last it's the "She's worth brand new diapers, and I can splurge on her"

Jennifer
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Haha I am not even close to saving money. Even if I buy no more diapers until she PL, I don't think I'll break even.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:52 PM

LOL! Sposies would be ALOT cheaper! I cannot turn down cute diapers! DH thinks cloth is cheaper, but he also has NO CLUE what I REALLY ( ) pay for them! :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:03 AM

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't go super crazy and most of the stuff I buy is reasonably priced but I also don't skimp if there's something I want. I just sold a bunch of stuff on eBay and must say that even if I don't break even, it's such a satisfying feeling to be able to sell my used dipes. You can't do that with sposies! It also gives me more money to buy the next size up (or something super cute I've had my eye on). :

Jill
Old 07-09-2006, 08:45 PM

I'm joining the club... even though I only have one cd babe, I ordered some new PF infant size for the *next one* because they were only $10 a dozen, and then I bought 1 1/2 dozen premium UBPF even though I don't really need them. Now I've been eyeballing new covers in the next size up even though I won't be needing them soon. I have to hold myself back from buying too much or dh will notice that we have way more diapers than he remembers us having...:
Andi

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Old 07-09-2006, 11:41 PM

yes! i just posted about this very topic! i rationalize that i can sell my dipes easily once we're done (never mind that i know how to *buy* on the TP using PP but have no idea how to *sell* (computer-phobe ) and i also love to think that i'm actually doing a great service by cding so that others can see that it's not the big deal they might think it is. the *real* truth is that i just love that big fluffy butt!! i will say that, since i'm a recovering sposie user, every time i put a cd on my boy i think to myself-- that's one less sposie in a land fill. did i mention i love the fluffy butt?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Once you make a diaper and you can brag that you made you kids diaper or cover you will never look back .....well that is not true I justified my 24 month olds last diaper $22 because it was the last one! nd he never will wear it cause he is a big boy now! O well perhaps we can use it as a swim diaper to justify it!

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillChristina
I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I don't go super crazy and most of the stuff I buy is reasonably priced but I also don't skimp if there's something I want. I just sold a bunch of stuff on eBay and must say that even if I don't break even, it's such a satisfying feeling to be able to sell my used dipes. You can't do that with sposies! It also gives me more money to buy the next size up (or something super cute I've had my eye on). :

Jill
Me too!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:11 PM

I justify it with the "I'll sell them" line and the idea that I need a bunch for 3 babes. But I do figue I'm saving $ because (using CNN's figure of 3500 for sposies from birth to pl) there is no way I can spend 10,500!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
Old 07-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't get to buy anything new often, but if I had the money I don't think I would stop.

I spend my money on buying flannel and making pretty flats.

my kids are 10, 7, and 4. i'm due any day now
Old 07-10-2006, 02:53 PM

I spent more than a year researching so that I would know exactly what to ask for on my baby registry. I bought a bunch of "sample" stuff first to make sure. I got most of what I asked for, but not until the week before my daughter was born. So I bought most of it myself, too. Then I decided I liked the stuff I bought better than what was bought for me, so I bought more of it. And I wish I could buy more still! I wish I could get all the money back and do it over again! :

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM

Hows this for saving money...We were given all the 'sposies we would need for dd from birth to pl. Seriously, we never bought one diaper (or wipes) 'till she was 10 months old, and I decided to try cd. Since then, I have spent $400 on cd, with a thousand FREE sposies sitting in the hall closet! Oh and I am about to spend another $100 on wool covers...even though I just finished crocheting THREE wool covers myself. I just can't stop! It's awful, I need a cd support group or something!

User Tag List