Why haven't mainstream parenting publications covered cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever noticed that not one of the mainstream parenting publications (Parents, Parenting, BabyTalk, American Baby, etc) have ever covered the topic of cloth diapering? Why do you think this is? I'm a writer doing some research on this topic and I would love to hear why mothers who are using cloth diapers feel it isn't supported by mainstream press.

Also, do you feel this lack of support by mainstream press is causing many new moms to be uneducated on the topic? Do you think there is a cloth diaper stigma? Are these editors at the mainstream parenting publications causing new moms to be ignorant about cloth diapering, similar to their lack of coverage about breastfeeding in the 80s and 90s? Do you think they are supported heavily by disposable diaper advertising that they are scared of revenue loss if they write about cloth diapers?

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.
#2 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 PM

That's easy, just lok at the ad's in their magazine. I would bet they are partially funded by those companies.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 09:54 PM

: And yeah to all your ?'s. I was one of those uneducated mama's about cding. I did everything else natural/ap/holistic, but I never knew about what cd there were out there. I thought it was those gerber things and rubber pants. Seriously. Now that I am obsessed with cd's I wish I still thought that....
#4 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM

There's cd ads in mothering.

Ali, mama to my amazing Arabella 1/14/06
Newly married to Patrick love.gif Expecting someone new in April!
#5 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:07 PM

I truly believe it's because of their advertisers - all of the disposable diaper companies advertise in the "mainstream" baby magazines, why would they want to chance "offending" their advertisers (and main source of income)?

Even when it comes to breastfeeding - all of the mainstream mags have formula ads, even though many of them claim to be pro-breastfeeding.

Cloth diaper companies don't generate enough revenue to advertise on the same level as pampers, huggies, etc... If they did, I'm sure *way* more parents would choose cloth since they would know it's not pins & plastic pants anymore! (Which boggles my mind really...do people everything has advanced *except* for cloth diapers???!!!) Anyways, just my 2 cents!
#6 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:28 PM

I just wrote a cd'ing story for a new parenting site that launched a few months ago... when I brought up the topic, my editor was over the moon since all she had ever heard about were flats and rubber pants.

The mags maybe just haven't had the right writer bring them the right angle...
#7 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 PM

Didn't one of the big baby mags just do an article on why women don't breastfeed longer (and there was a big controversy because there was a baby breastfeeding on the front cover)?

Wonder how many formula ads were in that magazine:

Ahhhh, yes, here it is:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/27/nur....ap/index.html

So if that mag can do one on breastfeeding (while answering it's own question), maybe we could get them to do one on cloth diapering

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#8 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 AM

I would love to see it covered. I was even thinking that some of the larger cd companies could do well to advertize in those zines too. There are some great ads in the back for bfing clothes, etc.
#9 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 01:19 AM

#10 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 01:30 AM

While there haven't been any earth shattering articles about cloth, cloth diapers have been shown in a positive light in a few magazine in the past few years.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=139397
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=87859
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=89670
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=199953
#11 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 04:08 PM

I think it would make a great story - those who don't get converted will still get the WOW factor and feel smug about spending more time with their kids and not in the laundry (you know what I mean). It would be a good read for everyone, even those who don't CD.
#12 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM

i think one of the mags ( i honestly cant remember which one) did a story on ECing tho

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#13 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 06:33 PM

I recall an article in one while I was pg with my first, so late 1999 or early 2000 - if I remember correctly (or at least what I took from it) was that the enviromental impact is about the same, because of the water and detergent usage with cloth - it compared owning cloth, diaper service and disposables and said it came out even, price- and environment-wise.

I knew nothing of mothering mag at that time, had no regular interent access (only monitored at work) and didn't know anyone who used cloth except my parent's generation and they hated it. So I chose disposables, and now and trying to go part time cd when my youngest (and last) is 13 mo, without making a huge investment.

I really do wish I had more info about cloth when I first decided. Blast that article for making everything seem equal.
#14 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 07:30 PM

I definitely think that there is a stigma against using cloth diapers. People who don't know much about them think that cloth diapers are for tree-huggers who want to "save the environment" or for people who can't afford the more expensive diaper that is used once and then thrown away.

And of course people who haven't been given much information about cloth diapers will be in the dark. The thought of using pins and rubber pants isn't all too attractive when you add in rinsing soiled diapers and washing them. When all the magazines have photos of babies in disposable diapers people have little reason to consider anything else, just like bottle-feeding was considered the norm in the '80s and '90s. It becomes status quo, just like fashion trends.

I really don't think that the magazines are scared of losing advertisers... maybe the advertisers have stipulations in their agreements to only run certain types advertisements. Or maybe the publishers just don't know about how easy and convenient cloth diapers these days are so they don't even consider seeking those types of advertisers. Most of the time ad salespeople will contact companies to try to win a contract, not the other way around. Or maybe they are scared of losing contracts... cloth diapers, being reusable, result in fewer diaper purchases so theoretically a company could put itself out of business by selling something people won't need to buy again.

Overall, I think since the introduction of disposable diapers it has been heavily advertised as better, more convenient, more modern, etc. to the point where using anything else is antedeluvian.
Andi

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#15 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Because they don't know cloth diapering ever evolved beyond flats and nylon pants. And unawareness of how big a trend this really is.
#16 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefairy3
i think one of the mags ( i honestly cant remember which one) did a story on ECing tho
It was Parents magazine but I don't know which month. I read it in the dr office the other day. I think it was trying to come across as unbiased but you could tell it was sorta against it. It mentioned CDs once I believe.

On a related note...
I wonder why more celebs don't CD. I mean, they have nannies to change the diapers and housekeepers to wash them. It's no extra work for them and their kids would be so cute and comfy, not to mention the impact they'd make on the environment and on society in general since they are "role models" for so many!
#17 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine
I definitely think that there is a stigma against using cloth diapers. People who don't know much about them think that cloth diapers are for tree-huggers who want to "save the environment" or for people who can't afford the more expensive diaper that is used once and then thrown away.
Ahhhh the misconceptions. I have seen some fantastic stashes online that must have cost quite a bit. If only Britney Spears knew that she could get "designer diapers" for her baby Perhaps it would become a Hollywood trend

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#18 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 12:47 AM

I think there need to be more articles about the "wow" factor of cloth rather than the environmental factor. Let's face it, people don't care about the environment in most cases and they don't think they really can make a difference. Sad but true.

So if these mainstream mags would have some pics of babies wearing cool CDs maybe it would catch on. Go for fashion rather than trying to scare everyone about how sposies are ruining the world! People like to be cool and CDs are cool. Make it more an item of clothing rather than a diaper. Can you imagine if Babytalk showed a baby sitting there in a sposie compared to a baby sitting in a FussyButt??? Don't bother trying to convince people it will save them money (how many of us are REALLY saving money with our addiction!), but that it is the "in" thing. There are not enough hippy crunchy granola people out there to make a huge difference, but if you can get the Hummer/rich/designer-wearing crowd interested it could make a huge difference. These people don't hesitate to put their dc in a $100 pair of shorts, but under that pair of shorts is a 50 cent stinky sposie!

I think many "mainstream" people are turned off by CDs because they associate it with poor people and women who don't shave their armpit hairs. I shave and am a middle-class conservative who would not see "The Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore" if someone pointed a gun to my head. I am NOT a hippy. But I love cloth! (And I also love our environment and can't handle the waste with sposies, it makes me sick...).
#19 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 12:52 AM

I'm pretty sure I saw of pic of I think Heidi's Klum baby in what looked like a FB. I wouldn't be surprised if Gwyneth or Gwen Stefani's baby's are CDed. They seem like the type that might go for it.

Jen Mama to Luke (9/04) Dex (5/06) and a new little one in September
#20 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 AM
DBZ

There was a long article in ePregnancy last year on cloth diapers. It seems like that mag must be very supportive of cloth.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#21 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 10:21 AM

If anyone wants to PM me for the link, the cd story I wrote plays into the wow factor. It's my personal POV (a therapy piece for my displaced consumerism!) and it worked for the site that published it. A few mdc mama's are quoted in it, too

I agree that the amazing-ness is what will attract more mainstream moms, but that it really doesn't matter how you do it, just that you do.
#22 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 01:27 AM

I would LOVE to get someone like Angelina Jolie hooked on cloth! Could you imagine the stash that woman could create And she is hip, trendy, and environmentally minded.

I agree with the fact that the cd makers just do not have the funds to advertise in those national parenting magazines therefore it really does those mags very little good to cover how awsome (and sometimes expensive lol) cloth diapers are. I can guarantee I have spent more on cloth for dd #3 than I did for sposies on dd #1 : Most people that hear I use and make cloth diapers at first think I am doing it to save money. It takes some time to educate and show people that there is so much more to it than that. I only wish I had heard of the cloth of today when my older girls were infants. Just my 2 cents
#23 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilangels
I agree with the fact that the cd makers just do not have the funds to advertise in those national parenting magazines
Yes, at the rate of something like $30,000+ for the SMALLEST B&W ad for just one issue in a mainstream parenting magazine, or a full page full color ad for about $100,000 per issue, that right there is a major stumbling block for CD manufacturers.

Margarita
#24 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM

I have to add Margarita we LOVE our swaddlebees! Having you post feels like a celebrity saying hi We love our swaddlebees
#25 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *margarita*
Yes, at the rate of something like $30,000+ for the SMALLEST B&W ad for just one issue in a mainstream parenting magazine, or a full page full color ad for about $100,000 per issue, that right there is a major stumbling block for CD manufacturers.

Margarita
Yikes!!! No wonder american baby can hand out those horrible mags for free to every parent in america!

I would love to see a story on cd's in a mainstream mag. But I don't wanna see any of that crap about how it's not *really* cheaper, or it's not *really* better for the environment. Or that the baby gets *more* rashes with cloth because sposies ar just sooo wonderful for keeping baby dry and cloth isn't. Whoever was writing the story would actually have to be pro-cd in order for it to turn out right.

We have a member here on mdc who writes for a mainstream mag website. I'm gonna pm her and see if she can put in a suggestion. :

pp I get a little starstruck when the big dogs come out to play, too.
#26 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilangels
I have to add Margarita we LOVE our swaddlebees! Having you post feels like a celebrity saying hi We love our swaddlebees
I feel the same, I keep on petting our organic velour fitted
#27 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky
I feel the same, I keep on petting our organic velour fitted
Thanks! Glad you like 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam
when the big dogs come out to play

Margarita
#28 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by *margarita*

Margarita

This star-struck cloth-diapering nerd is blushing over here.
#29 of 30 Old 08-05-2006, 11:14 PM

Heidi Klum was in a magazine a while back (right after the birth of her first baby) talking about cloth diapers. It was a small blurb but it mentioned something like 'and I'm hooked on the new one-piece cloth dipes' or something like that. Gosh, my memory sucks!

And I was just talking to one of the editors at PArents Magazine the other day, they have this new podcast thingy out and were asking for suggestions on casts they could put out, and I had a whole list of 'em! One of them was cloth diapers, the advantages, and also about educating people about the new 'style' (for lack of a better term) of cloth diapers, the adorable printed ones and the functionality of them, how much they have advanced since our parents cd'd. She wrote me back several times for info, so here's hoping they actually go through with it and have a great piece for cloth diapers.
#30 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Am going to go and take lots of photos of my DD in her super-cute rose Swaddlebees aplix pocket and enter it into the cute baby comps in those magazines for you Margarita.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page