Advice Needed - thinking of switching to cloth - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been thinking of switching to cloth diapers. (I actually bought my first one last night so we can try it out) I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old (so I use SO MANY diapers each day). Has anyone ever switched this late in the game? If so, I would love to hear about your experiences.

Also, I would also like to understand what effect if any cd has had on your utility bills. I understand there will be a little more washing and drying, but not sure if it makes a big difference in the bills. (cd being cheeper then sposies is the main way to convince my husband!)

Additionally, I am sure this is in other threads, but can I use my same detergent? (I use Tide) Can I wash both kids diapers together?

Thanks!!! And any additional advice would be greatly appreciated! I am totally a novice!

Mom to 2 wonderful little MDB's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 01:18 PM

I didn't see any change in utility bills, I've used cloth with dd since birth. Some people have trouble with Tide. I use purex free and clear or sun free and clear.

-Angela
#3 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM

I do 2-3 extra loads per week, so it's not too much of a switch, but I only have 1 in diapers.

Make sure when you're washing them you use much less detergent than you would normally use.

What kind of diapers are you going to use?

#4 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure which ones I will use yet. I ordered a fuzzy bunz last night, so I want to try it. Any recommendations on other to try? Especially ones that would fit both kids, they are 22 pounds and 27ish pounds.

#5 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 03:17 PM

I do a load every day, but so far i have not noticed a change int he utility bill. Plus, IMO cloth is wy cheaper than sposies (and better for the world)

I use whatever detergent is on sale (1/2 the regular ammt) and never had a problem

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#6 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM

I love using prefolds (don't be scared, doing the folds is really not that daunting) and Little Beetle Hemp fitteds. I have both the lites and the originals and I prefer the lites. There is plenty of room for stuffin. I also use Charlies Soap. I get it online, and the cost really works out because you use so little and with it you don't need to use a water softener. Here is a link for different "store brand" detergent choices http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.co...entchoices.htm I promise if you give a real go, you will love cloth diapering. It is highly, highly addictive (too many cute dipes!!!) so consider yourself warned!
#7 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Lots of people switch at a later age; if anything it will help your kiddos potty learn. You might want to look into some one-size products since you have 2 in cloth. http://www.wonderworksbabystore.com carries one-size pocket diapers and one-size diaper covers. To save the most money, prefolds are the cheapest and most adjustable system, but many fitted diapers cover a wide size range as well.

You'll probably do about 3-4 extra loads per week but you can hang dry fuzzibunz and other pocket diapers and covers to save energy. Many people use their regular detergent, just use only a little bit.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#8 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! These are great tips! I am sure I will have many many more questions as I get started! I am excited!

#9 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM

We use prefolds during the day with a BSWW or prorap cover, and Fuzzi Bunz at night.

Have fun choosing your new diapers!
#10 of 11 Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM

go for it! it's never too late.

fwiw...I did notice an increase in my water bill...a few bucks a month..not much.

good luck!
#11 of 11 Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I lucked out! I have a friend who cd's and her boys aren't using the size that my kids wear, so she is letting me borrow some to check them out. I went to put one on my 2 year old and she FREAKED! The one I put on her seemed a little small, and it was a pocket one, so maybe I stuffed it too much for her liking. She wouldn't stop crying, took the diaper off and insisted on a disposable dieper. So, I'll see if I can ease her into it. DS didn't object (he's 1), so we're trying it out on him!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page