Okay...so I'm embarrassed to ask - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
but here's my dilemma.
I have a hard time fitting wool and prefolds under clothes and Winter's coming. That old story.
I'm ordering some longies, but can't afford a lot of them. That old story too.
I heard some mom's saying that you can use pants that you already have if they are polyester fleece. I have a lot of cute Gap and Old Navy dungrees from poly fleece, and if that DOES work, that would save me some headache. Does this really work? If so.....god that would be life changing.
Clearing my throat.......here's the embarrassing part.
Do you lanolize those?:
Or does the fact that polyester is plastic-y just make the pants not leak?
I'm going to bow out gracefully and go hide now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't be embarrassed, no question is ever a silly one No, you wouldn't have to lanolize the fleece pants, lanolin just works w/ animal fibers like wool/ alpaca. Keep in mind, that like fleece covers, you need to wash them more frequently then wool. It's like using PUL, you can only go so long before they start to stink from the pee.

MOST fleece pants from Old Navy/ Gap, etc are usable for daytime. I would say ONLY if you change as soon as they pee. You'll get wicking if you let baby soak the dipe b/c the pants aren't made from Windpro or similar fleece. They haven't been waterproofed at all. That said, you could take outerwear fleece pullovers or jackets that you don't wear any more and make fleece pants from the sleeves

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#3 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

THAT said...I can't sew a stitch to save my life.
When I was wrestling with the "I'm broke and need longies" ordeal, I drug out the sewing machine and tried to make Ezra some pants. They were HORRID.
I'd get a pair done, put them on him for fit and then go back to the drawing board and try another handmade "pattern." By the time I got a pair of pants sewn that would go up and over his diaper and fit his massive thigh, the pants looked like they should fit a fat man. They were JUMBO lol.
I think I'll stick with the Gap.
I'm so excited that this works.
I'm really a die hard "natural fibers" person....at least when it comes to cloth diapers. But jeesh...I guess if I'm putting him in Gap outer clothes and then insisting on natural fibered diapers, then screw it, I'm taking an easier route sometimes. I put him in a pair....WITHOUT wool underneath and my oh my is it trim. It's exciting. Like I personally feel a bit liberated. I do love my wool, but this will cut me some serious slack. I change him everytime he pees so this should work. (By the way....why does my 4 month old pee every five min?)
I'm going to go post a thread on this.
(I'm procrastinating-today's my deep cleaning day.)
#4 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM

i just wanted to add that no question is stupid!

i had a similar question...i like my wool too. i've found tho it's easier to just use it at night. with the exception of my stacinator and little beetles wool covers. they are pretty trim compared to others.

i'm on the market for longies...any suggestions on where i can get a couple pairs?
#5 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM

I've found that in winter time with all the pants it's just easier to use a thin nylon pull-on cover like Dappi or Bummis Whisper Pants. I know it's not a natural fiber or anything, but neither is polyester fleece. If you have pants that aren't fleece, and you want to be able to use them, it's super cheap to get a couple of Dappis to use with those.

(Not sure if you were looking for a suggestion like this... )

It is always good being able to make what you already have work though, isn't it?
#6 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM

We used Children's Place fleece pants for part of the winter last year and they worked very well. I did have to make sure that I changed her frequently because wicking happened faster with the fleece pants. I also wouldn't use them overnight because they aren't heavy enough. But for daytime, they were great!
#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought my longies off a woman on the TP. They were $20 a pair and in really nice shape. I also splurged and ordered a pair of Lana wool ones from Tiny Birds.....I'm totally entertained day after day living out my " I need to get longies" ordeal.
#8 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well......I was using a Crat or a Lana pull on and my god the bulk.
I couldn't get him in britches. I don't much care that Poly fleece isn't natural. I'm in heaven knowing it works and makes my life easier.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page