What are your biggest diapering regrets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not that these "regrets" really matter a whole ton in the grand sceme of life, but I wanted to share anyway.

About 3 1/2 years ago SOS was open for customs and I bought ONE DIAPER. And it was only like $12-15, somewhere in that range. Of course now you can't get customs and they cost way more than that, and are very hard to get. Why, oh why, didn't I buy more???

And here's another- about 1 1/2 years ago I placed a custom order for 10 beautiful Cuddlebuns diapers. The WAHM was very busy so I had to wait a long time for the order. In the meantime dh and I had "the money talk" and I agreed to sell them all and go to prefolds. (By the time we decided this she was already working on my order and I didn't think it would be fair to ask to cancel it since it was such a big order). This particular WAHM had the BEST prints too... I wish I could've kept them.

Anyone else have "regrets" ?????
#2 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 04:42 PM

My regret is that I didn't find this board BEFORE I bought a bunch of CDing supplies...everyone here has been so helpful and the stuff that's been recommended here has worked out better for me than most of the stuff I bought on my own....if I had come here first, I probably woulnd't have spent as much $ trying tons of stuff out and could have gotten what works the best...now my stash is full on things that are "okay" with only a few items I truly love....oh well....I will know better with the next baby I suppose.
#3 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 04:55 PM

My biggest regret is that I didn't do CDs with DD. She is almost 2 now and I have tried a few different kinds on her and she just hates them all and wants her sposies

We are doing CDs with the new baby, so maybe that will make up for it some!
#4 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 04:56 PM

Not starting when dd was a newborn
#5 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 05:02 PM

That I listened to too many people and didn't start until this summer.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#6 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 05:04 PM

That I bought bigger sizes thinking ds1 would grow into them! He never did, LOL!
#7 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 05:57 PM

I wish I had just got 24 FB in each size. I would have been much happier.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#8 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 06:02 PM

I regret now that I didn't CD my other kids too... My 2nd only got it part time for like 4 or 5 months then I went all sposie on him too. I wish I had done all of them CD. I think of all that time I missed with cute cloth bums.
#9 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

1) That I didn't start from birth. 5 blow-outs a day for 2 1/2 months and so many ruined outfits. I thought I would be trying to do too much if I did cloth with a newborn. Little did I know, I was doing MORE laundry from the messes, not less.

2) That I wasted so much money on stuff I really didn't like. I sold most of it, but still, it was a waste.

3) That I didn't learn to sew my own sooner. I started sewing when DS was a year and I could have saved sooooo much money making my own that whole time.

4) Spending too much. Aside from the stuff I bought and didn't really like, I bought too much other fluff that was cute, but not entirely practical. It turns out I like prefolds and wraps more than most diapers. And I love pockets too, but don't need a whole stash of them. I've spent about $1000 on cloth and could've spent $200 and been just as happy with my stash.
#10 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 06:53 PM

The first time I put a wool cover on DD, she had a horrible reaction and got hives from it. I instantly concluded she had a wool allergy, and stopped using wool for nearly a year. It wasn't until I mentioned it here that somebody pointed out that organic wool might solve the problem-- that it likely wasn't the wool itself, but some chemical or fiber treatment added to the wool. So I got some organic wool, and lo and behold it worked great and DD had no problems. All those months I could have been putting nice breathable covers on her, and I never thought to try it twice.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 25 Old 09-02-2006, 07:06 PM

Buying 3 Bumkins AIOs. They fit weird, but at least I sold them. I also regret having a diaper service in the beginning. OTOH, if I had never had the dipe service, I probably would never have cloth diapered.
#12 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 AM

That I didn't cd my first. I tried with hand-me down kushies that were too big and leaked and I didn't know that there were so many other options.

That I didn't buy cute newborn diapers...I used prefolds and proraps until she fit into her medium fuzzi bunz. I'm washing my friend's kissaluvs now (she's in the hospital unexpectadly and I'm helping get her diapers ready) and they are so cute.

The money I've wasted on the TP buying diapers that didn't work or that weren't in good condition.

That I won't have another baby to cd when my dd is done .
#13 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:50 AM

I regret that I spent too much. I got suckered into wanting to try every new thing to hit the diaper world, when I already found systems that I was very happy with.
#14 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 04:08 AM

I regret all the pocket dipes I wasted my money on. They were so highly recommended that I bought them almost exclusively for my newborn stash. They worked OK for us but pretty soon I realized I hated stuffing pockets and just didn't like the whole pocket system. We have since moved to a combination of AIOs and fitteds/covers which suits us much better. I was able to resell most of them, though, so it's not that bad. I also regret not discovering wool sooner. We didn't get into it until DD was 4-5 months old.
#15 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 04:13 AM

I regret I didn't try wool earlier.
#16 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 05:39 AM

I regret that it took me two babies to discover modern cloth, and all the time wasted soaking the terry squares!

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader
#17 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM

My true one and only regret is that I didn't listen to myself , followw through and start cd'ing with my first son 7 1/2 years ago. I listened to everyone and their negative responses and went with sposies. I could have had all this fun for so many years!

For my DD.. I DO cd and even though I don't hear the negatives.. the ohh's and ahh's from all the prior ney sayers says it all! They love the dipes I make and always ask me... what diaper is she wearing now? It's actually became a little game...

It's funny how it has all turned around!
#18 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 01:35 PM

With my first I really wanted to CD but did not think about buying dipes online since I figured I needed to see them before I bought them. Therefore, I ended up with a bunch of crappy Gerbers. Thus my cd'ing ended two weeks later.
#19 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 09:58 PM

I wish I had started cd'ing sooner (I didn't start until dd was 13-months!). I also wish I had taken my time buying dipes. I bought a stash of fitted dipes just to get started, only to find out I hated them. I'm still trying to prune that initial stash and building up the new stash of dipes I like.
#20 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM

I wish I had bought one fitted, one wool cover, one pocket and one AIO and tried them out first (with my backup of prefolds and covers of course), THEN bought what I liked the best. I'd never known anyone who CD'ed in the past 20 years, so I had no idea what I was doing or what I'd like. I would have saved TONS of money on buying pockets, then selling them b/c we didn't like them!

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#21 of 25 Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I regret that I spent too much. I got suckered into wanting to try every new thing to hit the diaper world, when I already found systems that I was very happy with.
me too BUT with this baby Im sticking to mostly used very affordable diapers that I either 1. made 2. traded for or 3. bought with money I sold off of some of DDs stuff that she didnt wear or fit into. So I feel really good about this kind of like I spent about 1200 total and now with this baby maybe no money out of pocket it will average out to about 600 for each baby and If I have another one and do the same thing I will really feel ahead of the game

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#22 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 AM

i wish i had cd'd my 6 yo
#23 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 10:05 AM

I wish I would have been content with prefolds which work wonderfully. I don't have to worry about stripping fleece, ruining pul, wearing out elastic, etc. I can clean those puppies real good and they seem to last forever. I don't have to worry about them fading either. Prefolds may not be the most glamorus, but they can work on any baby once you get the hang of putting them on. I have had fitteds that didn't work cuz the leg hole was too big for my skinny mini. I could have spent less than $100 for the infant stage getting 2 doz prefolds, 3 pairs of pins, and 6 covers. Then about $125 for the next stage. Instead I bough FB, KL, and SD for a lot more money. I think I would still buy some KL as they really hold those blowouts in and are easy to change when we go somewhere. Oh and I would NOT buy wool. I would spend more time with my baby than trying to get those things clean and dry.
#24 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My biggest regret is having a DH who thinks snappi or pins are evil and refuses to use them. My favorite diapering systeam are organic flats and Cloth EZZ covers the fit multiple sizes are very adjustable wash great and fit well unders clothes.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#25 of 25 Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My other is not accepting my DH aversion to pins and snappis and just going witha simple one size systeam such s mother ease.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page