Quick question - vaseline to prevent diaper rash? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm still learning about how the dipeing process works, so..

does it make sense to apply Vaseline to baby's bum before a new nappy to prevent nappy rash?
or is that bad in some way (for baby or for dipe) and should only be used to treat existing nappy rash?

thanks for answers! (i haven't really got anyone else to ask little questions like these of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 03:03 PM

In the last 2 years, my oldest has only had a couple of diaper rashes, usually after being at someone else's house for a while, but I never put anything on his bum at diaper changes. My youngest hasn't had any diaper rashes to date. Maybe I just got lucky, but I think as long as you change the diaper often, there won't be the rashy problem.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:11 PM

vaseline is a petroleum product so I definately would not put it on a tender bum In 5+ years of cloth diapernig we have never put anything on to prevent rash, and we have rarely had rashes. I actually can only remember my 22 month old having one when she was a few months old.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Keeping baby DRY has been our best way to prevent diaper rash. Smearing stuff on preventatively is actually making baby moist, which, um, isn't dry. (laughing at my own sentence) Not to say we never used anything like Burt's Bees diaper rash ointment, we did sometimes, but only when there was something that needed soothing.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:20 PM

I agree-no preventative measures are needed if you are changing baby frequently enough. Also-what wasn't mentioned is the fact that the vaseline would in essence "ruin" your diapers-it would coat them and make it impossible for them to function properly, and would require TONS of work just to remove it from the fabrics.........

of course, if you feel like you need to add something-use corn starch-it will help keep babies bottom dry and it will feel good to them
Old 09-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here barrier creams are KEY to preventing diaper rashes DD just reacts to pee and pocket diapers or disposables do ziltch to prevent them. However I wont use Vasaline its petrolum I use coconut oil ussually.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM

I was reccomended to use vaseline as a barrier for using prefolds at night. I instead cut up peices of fleece and put it between her skin and the diaper and it works perfectly fine for overnight. Just the smell alone of vasleline is enough to make me not use it no matter how well it works
Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 PM

I use lanoline. Its a new thing though, after 2.5 years of diapering ds he now gets rashes if we dont use something. I think its the heat plus him running everywhere. We change hourly (or when poopy) but he still gets rubbed raw sometimes.

I also would never put a petroleum product on my baby.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:48 PM

I have about 5 fuzzi's that haven't been working correctly IE Wicking, smelly not working at all really. I just found out today that my aunt has been using VASELINE on my baby's bum when she thinks it's pink!: What can I do to get this out so my dipes aren't completely ruined! Please tell me somebody has any ideas!

I think I need to go lay down my head hurts now!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:11 AM

Using a barrier like Vaseline is useful to prevent rash. It's not necessary in most cases, though; only if the kid is particularly sensitive or is pooping every 15 minutes (which my son did, and other kids may if they're ill).

We had no trouble with getting it out of diapers, but that's probably yet another benefit of using cheap cotton prefolds. I wouldn't let it touch fleece.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 AM

I would not use vaseline as a preventative measure. If I notice ds's bum is getting red, I try to go coverless in a pf or fitted (or totally naked). If that doesn't clear it up, I slather on some triple paste, which usually clears it up.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbellasmama
I have about 5 fuzzi's that haven't been working correctly IE Wicking, smelly not working at all really. I just found out today that my aunt has been using VASELINE on my baby's bum when she thinks it's pink!: What can I do to get this out so my dipes aren't completely ruined! Please tell me somebody has any ideas!
try some dish detergent like dawn

I think I need to go lay down my head hurts now!
try some dish detergent like dawn

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry
I would not use vaseline as a preventative measure. If I notice ds's bum is getting red, I try to go coverless in a pf or fitted (or totally naked). If that doesn't clear it up, I slather on some triple paste, which usually clears it up.
as far as I know one of the main ingredients in triple paste is White petrolatum which is vaseline

Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 PM

I have a friend that used vasiline as a barrier cream with ALL of her children with NO ill effects. Yes, it does works and it is cheep. People used to use it all the time. :

When my children were babes I had to use something as a barrier cream when they went through teething as their urine became very acidic. I would wake up to my baby crying in pain. Her dipe would be nearly dry, but her bottom would be scalded! (I had not changed detergents or water) My 14 mo old is doing the same thing now. I have tried all of the more gentle creams, and they just wash off with the pee doing no good. When I use either vasiline or Desitin ORIGINAL (NOT creamy) I have wonderful results.

LIke a previous poster stated...I have had no problems washing it out of prefolds, but I wouldn't let it near a fuzzi bunz if I had anymore. There is so much wisdom in simplisity. No issues with repelling or stink build up.

Bottom line. It works but I wouldn't use it unless I needed to.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 PM

I recommend Unpetroleum Jelly.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

User Tag List