is this true? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this was a comment made on another board I frequent and I'm not sure how to respond... it's not a crunchy board by anymeans... not even a parenting board... this was just something that had come up...

Quote:
Another factor you might want to take in to account is how the cloth nappy sits around your child's hips irrespective of brand. If the fit is not correct cloth nappies can cause hip displacement - this is why cloth nappies should never be used on prem babies or babies with weak hip joints
Just wondering how to respond...

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#2 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 AM

that is just insane. :
#3 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Um, maybe if we were cinching them up with a vice or something.
#4 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 11:59 AM

Love to hear why they think THIS.

-Angela
#5 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Even if that were true, why would CLOTH cause this but not disposables? That makes no sense.
#6 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 12:17 PM

That's b.s. plain and simple.

Babies with hip dysplasia wear braces to push their hips out, so cloth diapers could help with that. I believe I've read of more than a few people double-diapering to help keep the hips in place.
#7 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Of course! That is why every single human being born before 1969 or so has such difficulty walking with their bad hips and all!!!

What about premie babies or babies with weak hips that were born before the disposable diaper? Y'know what, I think they are doing just fine.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#8 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Umm my DD was born with hip dysplasia and wannta know how they suggested I diper her to help her out??? Not one but two pined on cloth diapers. Yep the cloth helped to hold her hip in propr allignment and no we didn't need to take a tape measure or do advanced algebra to fine to correct fit.. There are now braces but her Dr said the cloth would work just as well and was more comfortable and cheeper. Ohh she was proficently walking at 8 months and is way ahead of the curve in gross motar skills today. I blame her cloth diapers personally

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#9 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

lol I asked her where she got her info... I'll get back to you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she was insane.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#10 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 02:52 PM

No! As with a pp, when my oldest dd was born it was thought she might have hip dysplasia (turned out she didn't) and I was supposed to cloth diaper her (double diapers!) to keep her legs in a good position.

People are weird!

mum to a crew...
#11 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 05:18 PM

What?? DS has SEVERE hip dysplasia (and had surgery to correct it as much as possible 3 months ago). His Dr. has NEVER said anything about the CDs. : In fact, his hip brace holds his legs out about how double diapering would (just more so). How silly.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#12 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 05:57 PM

My dd had hip dysplasia too. It runs in dh's family, so it had nothing to do with her being cloth-diapered.

She did wear a harness to correct it, but whenever the harness was in the laundry, we were supposed to double-diaper her to keep everything lined up right.
#13 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sooo ridiculous. What did they do with premature babies and babies with hip problems 40 or 50 years ago? Obviously not based in fact.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#14 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
Umm my DD was born with hip dysplasia and wannta know how they suggested I diper her to help her out??? Not one but two pined on cloth diapers. Yep the cloth helped to hold her hip in propr allignment and no we didn't need to take a tape measure or do advanced algebra to fine to correct fit.. There are now braces but her Dr said the cloth would work just as well and was more comfortable and cheeper. Ohh she was proficently walking at 8 months and is way ahead of the curve in gross motar skills today. I blame her cloth diapers personally
My dd had this too and wore a harness for 2 months. Its purpose was to push the hip bones back into the sockets by keeping her legs apart and out, with the knees bent, like a frog. I asked the doctor if cloth dipes were OK and he said yes. If anything, the cloth helped keep her legs in position. And she crawled and walked right on schedule.

One thing I have heard is that Baby Bjorn carriers are bad for a baby's hips. Not sure if it's true- but I threw mine out and got an Ergo.
#15 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 07:02 PM

My DD was frank breech for a while before she was born. She had to see a pediatric ortho for her hip issues as well. He LOVED DD's cloth diapers and had no issue with them at all. He is from Scotland and was so excited to see a baby in wool. Me thinks the poster who made this statment was clueless .

~pam~ sewing mom to my Navy boy (1/85), my lego geek (12/01) and my girly-girl (12/04)
#16 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Oh my.
#17 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 08:55 PM

Oh my. I've never heard that one before.

If anything, cloth can help the hips. We aren't putting them on so tight that baby can't move.

My neice had to wear a brace for 4 months to correct her hips. I always wished they would give cloth and slings a try. It held her in the "froggy" position, which is how I held Emily in her cloth diapers and sling.

Teri
#18 of 24 Old 10-01-2006, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Babies with hip dysplasia wear braces to push their hips out, so cloth diapers could help with that. I believe I've read of more than a few people double-diapering to help keep the hips in place.
My brother had HD long before they came out with the braces. Mom had him in 7 diapers at once, then he had surgery. It sounds like in the lines of communication someone messed it up and the story she's heard is mixed up pieces.
#19 of 24 Old 10-02-2006, 10:53 PM

well it's all been said, but now I wonder. DD was kind of stuck in the froggy position naturally for 2-3 mos. Her legs were flat out and her knees were up. I can dig up a pic, but her butt was down lower. I have a pic somewhere in a disposable, when she was little the disposables would always ride up her legs and people thought I iddn't know how to put them on right or something

But now I wonder if it was her position in the womb... weird.
#20 of 24 Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM

Oh come on...what a load of crap! My son was breech for so long, that when he finally came out via c-section, his ankles were up beside his ears and they wouldn't stay down for the longest time! (it was QUITE a sight!)...we didn't use CDing on him (didn't know anything about it at the time) BUT....I was told to take 2 receiving blankets and wrap him as tight as I could in them in order to keep his legs from flying up beside his ears....his hips were out of place and they kept telling me he would need x-rays and most likely braces of some sort....but I did the receiving blanket thing for quite some time and he never needed ANY treatment at all (although I will say that he is QUITE flexible now at 4 years of age! lol). I would think CDing could have helped with that also though....it definitely wouldn't have hurt the situation....Where do people get their info before posting it on a public board?!
#21 of 24 Old 10-03-2006, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
HAHAHAHAHA... No it's not true.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#22 of 24 Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 PM

I just wanted to clarify... (since it may seem as if my DS's HD was *caused* by the CDs) he was BORN with it. And we didn't even start CDing until after his surgery a few months ago. So there's no way that CDs have any relation to his HD.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#23 of 24 Old 10-05-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandapanda9 View Post
.Where do people get their info before posting it on a public board?!
She probably owns stock in pampers
#24 of 24 Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM

LOL! You're probably right!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page