Mothering Forum banner

What else can I try? (ammonia problems)

508 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  nichole 
#1 ·
We've been having recurring ammonia problems, and it's driving me nuts!
:

I've tried detergent with baking soda & vinegar, with just baking soda, with just vinegar, just detergent (both Purex F&C and Charlie's, which at least has gotten rid of the funky smell), low water levels, high water levels, short cycles, long cycles, extra rinses, stripping and bleaching and we're still getting ammonia stink! Both the stripping and bleaching worked temporarily, but after being washed normally again, either once or twice, the ammonia comes back full force. I'm doing a dry pail and washing every third day. I really don't want to resort to bleaching every time I wash, but I also don't want O. to get ammonia burns... Would a wet pail help? What else would you suggest trying?

Thanks so much!

See less See more
#2 ·
I know some people here disagree with me but using less detergent will help the problem. I have soft water and a top-loader and have been washing this way for at least a year. My diapers are stink-free and ds is rash free after a year of battling stink and rash. Also Tide Free is the detergent I use and will use no other. I've even tried using Allen's naturally and it simply will not rinse out of my diapers. I do a cold prerinse and then add 1/8 teaspoon Tide Free or less to a hot wash/cold rinse then do a hot wash/cold rinse with nothing.

#3 ·
I think you are not getting the detergent out when you are washing. If the stripping and bleaching worked temporarily, then you know that something in your wash routine is not working. I take out all of the "extras." Like baking soda, vinegar, etc. Do you have a front loader? I would strip again and then try reducing your amount of detergent and adding a hot rinse at the end to double check for bubbles each time you wash. I hope this helps you out.

#4 ·
Yep -- stop putting anything in the wash (or rinse) except detergent (and use the Charlie's only as it's 100% water soluble -- Purex isn't as it now has brighteners). Strip the dipes with hot water and no detergent or some Dawn then rewash with Charlie's. Do an extra rinse and check for bubbles. See bubbles? Then you've still got non-Charlie's residue. Wash on hot again and extra rinse til bubbles are gone.

I asked the Charlie's folks if I needed to use less than the rec amount (we use liquid 1/8c per large load) and they said no. That unlike mainstream detergents that are so loaded with extra crud you should cut the amt drastically, Charlie's doesn't have the extras, so it should be fine to use their recommended amount.

But if you're using Purex or any other brand that's got extra stuff, definitely cut the amount, but don't add anything else because the more you add, the harder it is to rinse, the more buildup, the stronger the ammonia smell. Makes sense?

I don't know about the soft/hard water thing. Wish I could help you there -- sorry

#5 ·
Thanks, everyone. I've been stripping all day, and there are still bubbles, so I obviously have buildup from something, although I've only used Charlie's since the last time I stripped (must be the baking soda & vinegar causing the problems?
).

Could there possibly be that much buildup on my machine from washing other stuff?
:

All the variables in CD washing sort of drive me crazy...

#6 ·
When are you adding the vinegar/bs and such?

My toddler's pee stinks something fierce in the morning after having a diaper on all night - no real build up in the diapers. So I just do a pre-wash/rinse with distilled vinegar to combat the ammonia, then use detergent in the long hot wash. We've also got hard water and a top loader if that makes a difference.

There could totally be build-up in your washing machine. There's a variety of ways to take care of that.

I also have some Charlie's, and it just doesn't do it for us with the diapers. No extra bubbles with Charlie's or my regular A&H detergent, but the Charlie's leaves buildup/smells in the diapers. I figure it's just because we have a funky mixture of minerals in our hard water that doesn't go with Charlie's and diapers.

Good luck!

#7 ·
The super stinkey pee in the morning is definatly buildup.

We used the dishwasher (no soap or anything) because nothing we tried in our washing machine would work and it stripped stuff out of them we never even knew was in there.

The dishwasher gets so much hotter and works very well

This morning, the diaper smelled like fresh pee! no buildup at all yay.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
The super stinkey pee in the morning is definatly buildup.

We used the dishwasher (no soap or anything) because nothing we tried in our washing machine would work and it stripped stuff out of them we never even knew was in there.

The dishwasher gets so much hotter and works very well

This morning, the diaper smelled like fresh pee! no buildup at all yay.
yeap mine are in there now!

Barbara

#9 ·
Thanks everyone.

Whatever buildup is in them isn't coming out in the washing machine and we don't have a dishwasher. I can't think of anyone other than my mom who would let me run my dipes through theirs without thinking I'm a complete lunatic
and my mom's four hours away.

I guess I'll try boiling them next? My daytime diapers are fine, but the overnight ones are still reeking. They're also the only ones with hemp, so I'm thinking that might be the problem. Or the Charlie's just isn't cutting it for us.

To answer some of your questions, we have a top loader, and city water. It isn't hard, but I'm not sure if it's soft or not. I've tried using vinegar both in the prerinse and in the rinse (not at the same time.)

Thanks again for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.