Mothering Forum banner

Enough for newborn? New to cloth

419 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  AngelBee 
#1 ·
We are planning to CD this new baby. Any suggestions from you experienced CD mamas would be great! I figured during the NB stage, I would use mostly PFs, but I also wanted some fitteds for outings, and DH. I don't want to buy any AIO's or pockets until baby is here, and maybe older. I am trying not to spend too much.

This is what I had in mind to buy:

12 infant indian PF's
12 preemie indian PF's
6 bummis SWW covers~small
2 bummis super snap~newborn
12 kissaluvs~size 1
3 snappies

The only thing I think I may need more of are infant PF's. Should I get another 12? Dd was 8lbs 2oz, so I am thinking this babe will be somewhere in that range as well. Do I still need preemie diapers? What is the big difference between Indian and Chinese PF's.

Oh, last ?. I was planning on ordering the PF's from Cottontail Baby. Anyone have any experience with them? How is the quality?

Thanks a lot for any help! My head is
: over all of these choices.

See less See more
#2 ·
What you have looks great so far, but I'd probably add some more infant prefolds. Newborns poop a LOT. I might also add some Kissaluvs 0s. Basically, I would strive to have at least 24 diapers that will fit at any given time.

Also, I would probably get a few more newborn covers. Very often poop will get on the cover during the early weeks, and you don't want to be caught short without a clean cover. I had 8 newborn covers and 6 small covers, and it was just about enough.

#3 ·
If you want to get kissaluvs, I think you should get the size 0 instead of size 1. Most people who like the size 0s do not like the larger sizes of kissaluvs. They will not have nearly as good a resale value, and probably will not fit your newborn well.

I also think that newborn size covers are important--even if you are expecting a big baby. Ideally, you'd have at least 6 newborn size covers. You may want to have a couple of small covers on hand, but you could also wait to see what type you like best before ordering the next size. Even BIG newborn babies fit best into newborn covers because their legs are so scrawny. I don't think I started using the size small covers until my babies were 12 or 13 pounds (which was around 8 weeks old).

I agree with PP that it's best to have at least 24 diapers that fit at any one time for the first couple months (after that, babies poop much less frequently and you don't necessarily have to change as often, so you could probably get by with 18 that fit). Ideally, I think you'd have 36 that fit in the beginning.

HTH!

Lex

#4 ·
Rule of thumb for me is at least 36 dipes and 12 covers for newborn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.